An Inquiry

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Hey Everyone,

I have had a lot of time to spend on creative ventures such as writing and managing different table top games, to roleplaying online and I've realized that the best way to tell the story is to not tell your own, but your player's. Roleplaying should be cooperative story. I would like to do something, however, I want to get a grasp of what people will want. This is a very bare bones post, but when I get responses, I will focus on a player application and character submission post.

Code:
[b] Setting:[/b] Canon (If so, what setting?) or Homebrew
[b] Genre [/b]: Fantasy? Sci-Fi? Modern with a Supernatural Twist?
[b] Resolution [/b]: Dice or Diceless? Cinematic or Realistic?
Explanation of Resolution: Dice allow for concrete resolutions with difficulty checks, though they're difficult to do on the forums. The only way that I can imagine it working is instead of posting the dice roll, you post the modifier and the DM rolls a dice. If it's ever questioned or in tense moments, the DM could screen capture it. Diceless leaves it difficult to resolve conflict and leads into a game of chasing and adventuring.

Cinematic gameplay allows for the dice and rules to be bent for the ever-so famous, "Rule of Cool." Usually, an eighteen won't be good enough for you to swing across a flaming chandelier that's about to snap, land on the other side safe and sound. However, if you're doing it, while holding a tankard of ale and land in front of an enemy, sword pointed and a flaming tankard that you drink and toss to the side - I'd be a bit more liberal towards the DC. Cinematic game style emphasizes a more memorable story and less of a challenge.

Realistic gameplay allow for the dice and rules to be as concrete as, well, the real world. If you roll a seventeen and you miss the difficulty check by one? Sorry, you don't make it. Try better next time. Realistic game style emphasizes a more difficult and earnest story.

If there are any questions - please post here and I will answer them.

Milamber

Donor III
It's great to see another DM, the main question I have is what style of Roleplay do you prefer to use? Do you prefer to use forum threads or use Skype? The reason I ask is due to potential player candidates. You'll probably notice that it will be vastly different. Availability and Time-zones will need to be strongly considered depending on your choice.

Setting: I'm not familiar with the settings or the differences of Canon and Homebrew.

Genre: I'd like to see something different on the RP forum, so I'd like to see more Sci-Fi or Modern Roleplays.

Resolution: I would prefer the use of Dice as it would give concrete resolutions to character conflicts. I like Realistic game styles however a Cinematic style may help introduce more players into other RP's.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Setting: I'm personally more of a fan of Homebrew settings, because they require a lot more time, effort, and creativity on the part of the DM and show that they give a lot of fucks.

Genre: I'm with Milamber on this one, most RPs we see are Fantasy.

Resolution: Diceless, since I think it's more reasonable that character conflicts be resolved by the DM or consensus of other players. I, too, prefer more Realistic games that give the impression of higher stakes and more difficult challenges, but Milamber's right in saying that Cinematic games, which give more wiggle room or chances for recovery if you screw up, are more likely to attract new players.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Milamber: Thank you. For now, I'd like to use the forums. I have experience trying to manage individuals on Google Hangouts, Skype andy he like and using a variety of other online DM tools. As far as Canon vs Homebrew, Canon is a pre-existing setting, such as Middle Earth or Mass Effect, then focusing on a different story within it or changing it. Homebrew is about a personal creation of the GM.

Tirin: I noticed in the State of the Address that you've been focusing on new players. Would you be comfortable if in-game, you were more established to help guide the new players (E.g. The second year to the first year students). I've been reading Paranatural ( A modern spiritual webcomic) and I would love to do something in the style of it. This is not confirmed - I'm just figuring it out.

In all likelihood, I'll combine two of resolution styles in the same game, but one will be more dominant than the others.

Thank you for responding. If I get a third, I might put up a player application thread.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Tirin: I noticed in the State of the Address that you've been focusing on new players. Would you be comfortable if in-game, you were more established to help guide the new players (E.g. The second year to the first year students). I've been reading Paranatural ( A modern spiritual webcomic) and I would love to do something in the style of it. This is not confirmed - I'm just figuring it out.

In all likelihood, I'll combine two of resolution styles in the same game, but one will be more dominant than the others.
I'd be entirely comfortable with being a better-established character in game so new players can get guided along a bit. I'm still way more of a fan of diceless resolution, but cinematic diceless is still alright.

Tag_Ross

Setting: Homebrew, nothing says "I actual want people to enjoy my imagination" more than creating your own characters. Using preexisting worlds might bring people in, but butchering a character's personality, or some fundamental law of the world, will drive drive then away much faster.

Genre: personally I prefer Fantasy, but Space Odesseys are also a favorite of mine. Any seeing can be great as long as it's been fleshed out, though I will say this, Historical RP's(both real life and in preexisting fictional settings) are often some of the worst.

Resolution: I have to go diceless, put the decision in the DM's hands, it's easier for them to guide the story where they want it to go this way. Yes, it might be prone to bias at times, but unless the DM is an asshat it shouldn't be a problem for the most part.

As for realistic vs memorable, I seeing in the middle. Nothing sounds more realistic than dying trying to attempt something that is just beyond your skill level.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Thank you everyone for the answers.

It seems sci-fi would be the best choice, but I'm incredibly inexperienced with that setting. The only narrative that I feel I could do a competent job narrating would be within the Mass Effect universe.

Instead of Sci-fi, I've recently been inspired by a webcomic entitled "Paranatural" recently. It's relatively fresh, however, I may try to borrow elements from it. For now though, I'm thinking on settling on a modern, investigative story. I'll create the application page.

Top Bottom