Captain on deck

Captain_Balth

Well, look at this little community of all my former friends. I'm not going to lie to you guys, I haven't posted in a forum since my last post in the Urealms forum nearly 6 or seven years ago. A lot has changed since then, for all of us. Let's begin the recap, shall we?

The year was 2006 (or, quite possibly, 2007) and my babysitter Niko introduced me to Unforgotten Realms. There were only classic episodes at this point, and only about 6 or 7 of them. But it changed my life forever. Within a few years I was on the forums, and I was definitely only 12, and not the 15-16 year old I pretended to be. Whoops, sorry for the bamboozling my peoples.
I looked like this (oh man, I forgot how to imbed images into posts...):

My god, I was hideous. Thank you for puberty... Also, notice my shirt! It's a band name, I swear!
So I did some Roleplaying with you guys, acted like the hottest of shit when I was in fact probably too young for the internet. But that didn't stop me from frequenting the forum. Due to my youngness, I was brash, stupid, and downright insufferable. In order to groom me into my potential, Stealthkill, Requiem, Spiffums, Tirin, and Riyant decided to punish me whenever I stepped out of line: The Balth Treatment. What a wonderful time that was.

Flash forward a year and I moved from Massachusetts to South Carolina. I like to pretend I matured, but we all know I didn't. I began to role play and spend time on the forums with VIRULENT (I still talk to him all the time), SirDragonGuy and Ultima (disappeared off the face of the earth), Kylentina (Turned out she was dude and was trolling us all....does the internet still use 'trolling' as a term?), and facqual (I still talk to him too!). I think this was the golden age of the forums, and I thrived here, mostly due to the lack of social life I had in my new state. I looked like this now:

Why yes, I did go full Bieber under that hat. But it's a nice hat, so I dealt with it.
After this, Rob stopped making Urealms, and I became actually 15-17, which is hilarious if you think about it, because I claimed to be 16 for about 4 years not he forums, and no one ever called me out on it. Not even when we would group Skype chat (remember when Skype was a thing?) or MSN (oh god it has been a while) and my prepubescent voice would deafen the crowd.

I have a very fond memory of watching School Days (amazing anime btw) over Skype with CIFLI (Cause I Feel Like It) and Kratour (Easily my favorite white knight, though that has a different connotation nowadays) and being scarred by the ending while the group would laugh at my innocence.

Here is a group photo of the crew at this time:

I believe Maelstrom took this photograph of us. As you can obviously tell, that is Riyant on the left, Tirin in the foreground, Kratour with his cigars, myself with my breakdancing Golem topped and multiple eyepatches, and Wolfy on the right. We were known as Mael's Angels, and boy were we something. Not quite sure what, but definitely something.

So I went through highschool, frequented the forums for the first few years, but as content dwindled, Rob eliminated the forums, and I lost touch with most of you. I went off to college at CofC, majored in Biology with minors in English Fiction Writing and Chemistry, and am now attempting to get into Dental School (Which is incredibly difficult and infuriating).

This is what I look like now, in all of my metrosexual beauty:

I'm now 22, love beer (message me if you want to be beer pen palls, it's one of my favorite things to do!), am really into baseball and football (Go Red Sox and Patriots!), and am taking a few extra classes in order to improve my resume. I also just got into Skyrim, and it's incredible. As you may notice, I'm always late to join in on cool things like that. I also enjoy Civ 5, in case anyone here wants to play. I absolutely love anime still, in case anyone wants to discuss it or make recommendations. I play DnD with friends all the time, in case anyone wants to try to do this through Table Top simulator or something like that. I have a discord, but have never used it, and would love it if someone could walk me through it. I'm on Instagram as @NotJaredT, twitter as @CaptainBalth, Snapchat as @NotJaredT, and would love to hear from you peoples that I haven't spoken to in years. Many of you have known me for over a decade now, which is rather frightening.

Any questions, just ask, I hopefully will be around.

Best Wishes,
Captain Balth

PS: It took me a while, but I finally dug up my old avatar from the forums!

Last edited:

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
This is the last thing I was expecting.

It was wonderful!

...no, really. Nice!

Requiem

I may not have sounded very enthused on Discord, but believe me, I am so happy to have you here. I'm just very tired as I write this and before I wrote an essay and it's just all... blagh.

Sincerely, I'm glad to have you here and I'm really sorry we fell out of touch, especially in such bad terms. You'll fit in like a glove here and I'm glad to see you doing so well! Not much of a beer drinker, but you'll find your people here for that, haha. Also, feel free to reach out to the people you still talk to from the forum, we'd love to have them too if they wanted to come back!

Again, I'm glad you're here, buddy.

RECONmaster

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome aboard, glad to have you Captain.

Playing old games is just really the way to do it, sure you miss out on the hype and talking about it when the iron's hot but you get them for a steal and they're just as good as the day they released (barring patches and whatnot).

AndyM03

Holy shit, people kept talking about Balth and I was like damn don't remember that bloke.
Saw your avatar and the 'Captain' part of the name and daaaamn, good to see you back! You're looking great mate.

Captain_Balth

Holy shit, people kept talking about Balth and I was like damn don't remember that bloke.
Saw your avatar and the 'Captain' part of the name and daaaamn, good to see you back! You're looking great mate.
Andyman, my man. Almost forgetting about me. It's all good. :)

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone. Glad to see so many of you still flopping about.

I may not have sounded very enthused on Discord, but believe me, I am so happy to have you here. I'm just very tired as I write this and before I wrote an essay and it's just all... blagh.

Sincerely, I'm glad to have you here and I'm really sorry we fell out of touch, especially in such bad terms. You'll fit in like a glove here and I'm glad to see you doing so well! Not much of a beer drinker, but you'll find your people here for that, haha. Also, feel free to reach out to the people you still talk to from the forum, we'd love to have them too if they wanted to come back!

Again, I'm glad you're here, buddy.
Thanks Req. Believe me, I have known my fair share of post-essay brain-deadery. I don't even remember the 'bad terms' you reference here around the time of our split, but I'm certain it was something that was blown out of proportion and worthy of forgetting.

Top Bottom