Christmas Loot

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
So what'd ya get for Christmas?

I got a bunch of old books (Jules Verne, Robinson Crusoe, Don Quixote), a Governor (from Walking Dead) bobblehead, some whiskey stones, a nice computer mic, and money.

Firedemon

I didn't get much loot aside from a surprisingly large amount of Christmas monies. I got a Battleship Texas microfiber polo to keep me from getting heat stroke while I'm working there as the summer comes around. I'll update the loot list when I spend the Christmas monies.

W1LG3RtheCyan

16GB of 1866MHz RAM, taking the rig to a total of 24
$90
Sonic Adventure DX, Rock of Ages, Red Alert 3, and a PC copy of KOTOR($20 Steam gift card)
Maze Glider, Mirror Entity, and a buttload of elves($50 Card Kingdom gift card)
Star Trek Catan
Snow-Capped Toblerone
Maple Candy
Mint Chocolate-Chip Truffles

Will update upon spending the $90, but my guess is a Fate Reforged pre-release spot, the green commander 2014 deck, and some Dragon Shields. (My local game store is now running EDH every Friday, so I don't need to maintain a standard deck anymore.)

Firedemon

"And this is the room where we calculate trajectories and point guns at buildings that TC might be in.

I mean...oh look, the gift shop!"
Pfft, fire control is way too dangerous to get to for the people on my tours. Too much rust and asbestos.

So I've acquired another season of The Big Bang Theory and converted some of my monies into Steam monies. Next, to spend the Steam monies.

Edit: Spent some Steam monies, acquired Shadowrun Returns, Plague Inc, Banished, and SpaceChem

Last edited:

Requiem

Eventually you'll see that it's not a show glorifying nerds, but making fun of them for the sake of a few laughs.

But to each their own, I'm not gonna tell you what to like, even though I kinda just did.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
I got $70 and a box of chocolates. The box of chocolates was then given to guests at a dinner party the next day. I also got lip balm.

Requiem

It's a sad day when you can't laugh at yourself.
I can laugh at myself. The Big Bang Theory isn't a show where nerds feel like they're part of the joke though, they simply are the joke. There's a difference between laughing at yourself and having fun with everyone and simply watching as everyone else laughs at you.

Watch the show closely next time you do. Look at when the laugh tracks hit. The mentioning of Halo, Doctor Who, DnD, WoW, etc. are what trigger the laugh tracks. They aren't triggered because Sheldon and Spock have similar character traits, they're triggered because Leonard uses the words "Star Trek" and the audience knows that's a popular enough reference that is also dorky, so the laugh track is triggered.

Of all of the times I've watched BBT, I've never felt like, as a nerd/dork/geek/whatever, I was in on the joke. I've just felt like I was the joke.

The Hound

Just Monika
I think you have too high of expectations for a stupid comedy, you seem to expect it to represent geekdom, when in reality it's just a show poking fun at the quirks and interest of nerds. I mean that's how comedies usually work, like did Frasier Crane represent therapists accurately? Or Joey Tribiani (Friends) represent actors? Nope they're just character traits that can be used for humor. I've always watched BBT with the mindset of just being happy someone is talking about the things I find interesting, I know they're humorous, like I'm aware I'm pretty embarrassing while I play WoW organizing other grown adults to take down an imaginary monster.

As just a personal observation I've noticed the people who have the biggest problem with BBT are people who actively attribute themselves as a geek, instead of as a person with interests that just so happen fall into that area.

adorablemuffin

I got a 3DS and a bunch of games, a Kobo Arc, a Batman lamp, money and a few various giftcards and like 3 Hot Topic gift cards because of how I go crazy over hot topic whenever I'm in the states and we just had one open up at the local mall.

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Top Bottom