Comic Con 2017' [OOC, Interest Gauging, Kratour's an OG B-D-B]

Kratoury

Supers, capes, freaks... Whatever you want to call them, comic book heroes and villains have had an impact on our lives ever since their emergence. From the first time someone flipped open a comic and read their first one liner, to the world-wide sigh pulled from the revelation that the Green Lantern movie sucked, just about everyone has at least a passing familiarity with comic books and the characters within. But at the end of the day, comics are just that: stories. We go to bed without having to worry about super powered titans clashing above our homes, and we certainly don't have to be concerned over rather we're going to be held hostage at the point of a freeze-gun. Honestly, comic book characters couldn't exist in our world; how many times does someone have to point out how superman would cause untold destruction every time he sneezed?

But... what if something happened? What if the paradigm shifted, what if those superheroes and villains lost their powers and somebody new picked them up? What if... that somebody was you?

Well boys and girls, Kratour's back and he's brought the hype train with him. It's time for a new game, and I imagine there's at least a few people still about who can appreciate a good run of supers. But before you start throwing money and characters at me (and powers, god knows you're already thinking of what sort of powers you wanna make up), let's get a few things straight shall we?

First and foremost, the setting. This game is going to begin in the real world, about two years into the future. The in-game focus is going to be centered on America, more specifically a little city known as New York City. Comics, games, technology... everything is as it is now, save maybe that Windows 10's a thing and Apple's released their next thirteen phones.

As such, your first job is to make a character and give them a reasonably plausible excuse for being in the city. Fortunately, Comic Con is being hosted in the city and you should probably be there given that that's where the prologue is gonna be dropping everybody. If this seems a bit limiting to you, please feel free send your complaints to Youma. Because I don't actually care about them.

Moving on...

You are going to need to generate a normal person who, for whatever reason, is currently at Comic Con. That's it, don't go generating powers or designing costumes because you don't need 'em and they won't be useful to you. Well... maybe the costumes depending on how things go, but whatever let's just talk about the thing that people actually care about: powers. As you may have gathered at this point, you will not be generating your own powers.

Alright, cool, so for the three of you that didn't leave after reading that let's talk about how powers will be decided upon. Given the story, your character will be receiving a set of powers pulled directly from a character in either DC or Marvel comics. The assignment here is going to be semi-random, but try not to fret you'll still have some choice. Once your character has been approved- oh, I'm only allowing a few players by the way, so good luck-, I will randomly select ten supers. Based on any requests you make, what I think fits for the character, or casual whims I have that make no sense and do not need to be justified in the slightest, I will select three of these supers in order to produce a "pool" of powers for you to choose from. You pick a super, get their powers, and that's the end of the whole damn shebang.

Next up, let's talk about alignments, shall we? In this game, you are going to have to choose an alignment for your character. Now, this metric might get a little confusing, but try and bear with me as I list off the options. You may choose to be Heroic or Villainous. "But Kratour, I wanna be neut-" Deal with it.

Now, regardless of my rampant sarcasm, I do feel that this needs a bit of explanation. I'm not telling you to decide on rather your character's gonna be putting out fires or robbing banks, what you do is mostly contextual. I mean, look at Lex Luthor or Black Adam, both of them are villains who will absolutely fight to protect people. What I'm asking is very simple. Is your character more inclined towards acting in the interest of others, or in the interest of their self?

Welp, that's that. If you want a tl;dr, you should probably go somewhere else. There are not going to be any provided character sheets since if you want in on this you should be reasonably capable of figuring out what about your character is important enough to write down. The only required section is your characters alignment, since I'll be looking for it.

That said, if you have any questions, I need you to do one thing for me. Read over this explanation, and read it all the way through. I've written down a fair bit about the game and what expectations you should have for it. This isn't a particularly large write up, so don't be lazy. If you have a question that isn't explained in the write up, feel free to ask me and I will absolutely get you the answer you desire as soon as I am able.

Also, B-D-B means Big Dick Baller. Just for reference.

Tolvan

Campaign Killer
Name: Joshua Valiar
Alignment: Heroic... to start.

Appearance: Josh is a short, slim guy, standing at about 5'4" and weighing about 125 lbs. His skin is pale from spending too much time indoors, but he's decently fit as well. His long blond hair is curly and extends well past his shoulders, and his eyes are a grey-blue color that seems to change shades depending on the lighting. Usually, Josh wears nondescript black clothes, occasionally with video game symbols on them, but at Comicon he's cosplaying as Roxas, dressed in a black, hooded coat and wielding two strange plastic keys.

Personality: Joshua seems introverted to those meeting him for the first time, and in most situations that impression wouldn't be wrong. However, when around friends, or at least people he relates to, Josh gains a lot of confidence, enough to almost be considered cocky. Joshua didn't really fit in with any of the cliques during grade school, but in college he has begun to make more friends, if only a few.

Backstory: Joshua went through most of grade school utterly introverted, finding nothing in common with his peers. As such, he spent all of his free time reading, watching anime, and playing games. When he got to college, Josh found a group of friends he got along with, and started playing D&D. Other than that, he spent his time on much the same things, albeit with other people rather than alone. This is his first time at a convention, and he was convinced to come in costume by his best friend Jonathan, who came to the convention with him. Oh, right, and Joshua has always wished he could use magic due to his obsession with fantasy.

Last edited:

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Name: Alexander S. Larossa

Alignment: Heroic

Appearance: Alexander stands far above most men (and certainly most women) at a towering six foot two, his very presence having an intimidating effect due to his height in combination with a robust, broad-shouldered build. Though his size would, if matched with a thuggish face or posture, prove positively terrifying, its impact is softened by Alexander's dashing handsomeness. His soft, slender features inspire lust from women and envy from men, and his bright and expressive - some would go so far as to say "cute" - emerald eyes nicely compliment his dazzling smile, lightly-tanned (and, of course, blemish-free) skin, and short, dark hair. Overall, despite whatever impressions his size may make, the young man presents a figure of absolutely captivating beauty.

More than aware of the good looks that he works to maintain, Alexander's outfits are selected to further exaggerate his striking appearance. Premier among these ensembles are a collection of well-tailored black suits which he couples with burgundy dress shirts, though he is far from short on casual wear. When his attitude permits (or the weather requires), he can instead be found in dark jeans, most commonly with a solid-colored t-shirt which allows him to show off his substantial muscles, and possibly a light jacket atop it. Independent of the rest of his outfit, Alexander's right ring finger is always covered by a band of rose gold, studded with alternating rubies and diamonds.

Personality: Upon first meeting him, Alexander comes across as a friendly and caring - if slightly sexually-minded - acquaintance, more than happy to help his buddies out with their more trivial problems, and also up for a night on the town, particularly if women are involved. On such occasions he showcases an incredible talent for charming attractive women of all kinds, and is helped along quite a bit by his incredible looks and ability to paint himself variously as a gallant young gentleman, a kind and caring shoulder to cry on, or a debonair playboy.

History: Alexander was the first-born (and only) child of the fabulously wealthy Larossa family, by far the largest stakeholders in the Larossa Financial Group, and as such was blessed with a quality childhood education at a succession of private schools in New York, all of which he did very well at. Due in large part to the business ventures of his father (and his mother’s propensity for travelling with him), Alexander was often left alone in the mansion save for the family’s various servants during the school year. The only times he was guaranteed to see his parents were during Christmas and summer vacation, when he joined them in private cruises about the Caribbean or Mediterranean, among other popular travel destinations. The frequency with which he visited the latter resulted in Alexander becoming conversationally fluent in French and Spanish, and entirely so in Italian.

Upon graduating – with excellent standing, of course – Alexander attended Harvard University, concentrating in Economics and studying abroad for a year in London; he graduated magna cum laude in 2015. He spent the next two years in New York City, due both to his personal familiarity with it and the undeniable fact that it is the most economically powerful city in the world, and in that time has been serving as an “unpaid” intern to the Chief Financial Officer of his family’s company while simultaneously completing a Masters of Business Administration at Columbia University. Despite the workload, Alexander has been greatly enjoying himself among the hustle and bustle of the big city, particularly with how easy it has proven for him to attract female attention in his time off.

Having recently completed both his graduate degree and his internship, and with no positions available in the Larossa Financial Group for the time being – though he’s certain to get a hold of one if it opens up – Alexander has been lazing around New York in search of nothing more than an enjoyable way to spend his time. Mostly, his search has consisted of mixing in with all sorts of people in various clubs, but lately advertisements for the major event that is New York Comic Con have piqued his interest. While hardly a fan of comics, anime, or video games – though he can certainly appreciate a finely-written movie, television show, or even graphic novel – Alexander has come to the conclusion that with attendees in excess of one hundred thousand, there are bound to be people worth meeting at the convention, and so has decided to attend!

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Sounds neat, I don't know much about superheroes though. Funny enough the other day I picked a random superpower on the superpower wiki and I got Daytime Walking. The superpower to walk in daylight.

Shizno

Okay, so I decided to break this off into sections just because I can work better with that shit.

Name: Kaelyn T. Boyce
Alignment: Heroic

Appearance: Kaelyn would not typically be called a 'pinnacle of femininity beauty'. In fact, all things considered, she's rather plain, but could be thought of as cute. Standing at five-foot-four, she's certainly small, especially for a grown woman. Her facial features are rather soft; well taken care of through a combination of various beauty products and a healthy diet that doesn't cause many blemishes. Her lips seem to have a natural pout to them which could draw a decent amount of attention, if she desired to. She has rather long, light brown hair that she typically wears in a ponytail that's tied off with a red ribbon. And when it comes to her eyes, they're a shade of light blue that, but lay behind her red-rimmed glasses. When combining everything about her, it all equals up to a girl that's decently attractive.

When it comes to attire, Kaelyn will often wear suits to formal gatherings and meetings. This is a combination of wanting to look presentable as well a pure personal preference on what to wear. When it is one of these occasions, she typically wears the most common black suit that's custom made to fit her figure. Said figure is more of the thin side, but nowhere near the point where she is unhealthy. Due to the healthier lifestyle she has adopted, she's actually quite fit, but nowhere near levels that would consider her athletic. Her breasts and hips are quite possibly the parts of her that are more womanly as her bust size is at least C, if not D. Although she does not have much muscle, whatever training she has done has been more about efficiency: breathing exercises, jogging for periods of time, etc.

Kaelyn's more casual-wear isn't very fancy or exquisite. It's typically a plain undershirt that is one solid color with a light jacket over it. Sometimes said jackets will have small designs on them, but most are rather subtle. For pants, she will either wear a skirt that comes down to just above her knees or denim jeans, depending on what she's planning on doing throughout the day or the weather. When wearing a skirt, she will often wear purple-tinted stockings that go all the way up to her thighs, leaving no skin completely exposed on her legs. When it comes to headwear, she will at times wear things such as berets, but the exact color and designs on said hats change so often that it's a mystery if she ever wears the same hat twice.

Personality: If there was one quality that Kaelyn would claim she has, it would be that she's patient. And in fact, she is at plenty of times. She very much a 'detail' person when it comes to almost everything that she must deal with in her life, be it writing, exercising, or planning something. In fact, it's almost to the point where she's meticulous about such things; where nearly every single detail must be absolutely perfect before it can be considered to be acceptable. In essence, Kaelyn is a perfectionist. This is a good quality as much as it is a fault at times. Because while she absolutely has the ability to carefully plan or perfect almost anything she comes across, she has almost no ability to do things with a sense of speed or urgency.

Because of this inability to do things faster than at a snail's pace, Kaelyn is very prone to panicking when it doesn't seem like she will make whatever deadline she may have for the thing she is trying to finish. Which means she would either require to rush in this panicked state, and therefore have a sloppy finished product, or continue at her pace and have it either late or not finished at all. Because of this, she is not very good at pressure; especially time limits, as previously mentioned.

When it comes to social interactions, it is something that Kaelyn doesn't do often. Not because she doesn't enjoy it; she does like talking to people a decent amount. But because of her habit of reading and writing more than making new social connections, it's rare for her to get out much if it's not a meeting or some event by her publisher. In a sense, she actually does like people; if she didn't, it's hard to think that she would choose a profession where she entertained everyone that decided to pick up her books, be it they're like-minded or trying something new.

History: Kaelyn was the middle child of the Boyce family, being the only girl between two boys; the first two children were three years apart with one year between the younger two. Her parents were fairly well off considering her father owned a chain of decently successful local shops that managed to provide for a family of five without much trouble. Her mother went between doing housework and painting, selling whatever paintings she could for any amount of profit. But considering her husband's success, there was no need to sell them and it was essentially a hobby for something to do when she had downtime. Kaelyn's brothers were possibly the two people in her life that influenced her the most. Her elder brother, Carter, was actually rather protective of Kaelyn when growing up, if not a bit teasing at times. And when it came to the younger brother, Josh was, without a doubt, the smartest of the Boyce family, passing a few grades early on in his life and assisting Kaelyn when she needed help with homework.

Throughout her life, Kaelyn never exactly excelled at anything, not even school. In fact, especially at school. She was a rather lackluster student as she struggled quite a lot in her studies; especially when it came to subjects such as math or science. A large part of her lack of ability in those areas could be that she just never cared for them, and therefore, never made the effort to truly learn them. Instead, even in class, she would instead read. If there was one thing that she would consider her main 'hobby' when she was young, it was simply reading. Whether it be in class, at home, on the bus, or somewhere else that she may go, it was extremely rare for her to be without a book or two. She was never one to completely forgo social interaction in favor of reading, as she did have friends throughout her years, but it was more of a closed circle of people; she was certainly not a social butterfly.

This love of reading seemed to always be with Kaelyn throughout her life. In fact, such an impact that throughout much of her teenage years she had no idea what she even wanted to do with her life after high school. That is, until it just hit her one day that she could, in fact, become a writer. Yes, the one thing that may have been the most obvious choice for her was a sudden realization when she was sixteen years old. And the next part was to decide what to write about. She was never all that much into fantasy, and science-fiction was something she enjoyed, but didn't have enough interest in to write about. It was the same about other genres such as romance, comedy, etc. None of them seemed to fit her preferred style. That is, until she considered horror. Having always been a fan of suspenseful stories, she was rather quick to determine that writing about the dark and scary would fit her just perfectly.

She was twenty when Kaelyn wrote her first novel. It was an underselling story titled, "Forbidden Sight". Despite it selling rather lackluster, it gained Kaelyn a fairly dedicated fanbase as the book itself was praised for quite a few key things. If anything, the 'failure' that was her first book just encouraged her to do even better the second time around. This time, development took an entire three years due to rewrites and ensuring that everything was as perfect as it could possibly be. And when she was ready to finally release her second book, the publishers wanted a bit more publicity than her previous book, hoping that would prevent the previous book's problems of not enough people knowing about it. And so, they rented her a rather small booth at Comic Con '17. She was put off into the corner, but being there is certainly better then not. And plus, she had plenty of time to wander around and experience everything else the convention had to offer.

Shizno

A short, thin guy with long blond hair wearing an Organization 13 coat and wielding two plastic Keyblades named Joshua is going to Comic Con for the first time. He's obsessed with games and the like, specifically RPGs. He's also not a self-insert character with a different name AT ALL.

Do I need anything else for now?
C'mon, Tolvan, at least try.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
I'm not sure if I should join or not if there are only limited spots. How high are your standards of role playing Kratoury?

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
I think I will try writing up a character. Might not be any good but I have a few ideas.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Alright, it's just that when I do things I want to commit to them and not just do something half-baked. *glances towards Tolvan* ;)

Shizno

Pfft, half baked? If we're talking food here, Tolvan didn't even bother turning on the oven. He just slapped a pan of uncooked meat on the table and offered it as dinner.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Oh wow I didn't even realize this board had emoji.
EDIT: Wait so does our character have to be an american resident?

Last edited:

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
I'm really torn between two characters.
1. A villainous Trovak Battlehammer cosplayer (Kindness needs to be beaten into people, Arkala or no Arkala.)
2. A heroic Magitech cosplayer
Villainous fits the alignment of Trovak much better than his old one.
Does our character have to live in america? Just asking for clarification.

Kratoury

You don't have to live in America, you just have to be at Comic Con which happens to be in America.

Top Bottom