• Overall, beer is gross

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Overall, beer is good

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Coffee tastes disgusting.
This is an objective fact. To add to well-liked beverages that I despise: beer is fucking awful.
Spoken like children. Not that those children are wrong; rather, they're only right because that's objectively true for them, and it's only objectively true for them because they have not yet conditioned and developed their tastes beyond the natural inclination where these things are concerned: Sweet = good, give more; bitter = bad, get it away, sorta thing. Perfectly natural. But then, so is eating with your hands. 'Natural' isn't exactly something to strive for. The Czech's beer is the sole redeeming quality of their entire culture.

Not that it's *enough* to redeem their culture, in itself, but still. Definitely bears some acknowledgement.
World of Warcraft has always been a terrible game, but since it was the first of it's kind to reach mainstream audiences that it became the juggernaut that it is.
On a related note, years to decades later I'm still pissed that they drowned out Total Annihilation with the much-inferior, but far more heavily marketed Starcraft, then waited another decade to make a sequel in response to Supreme Commander.

They drove Cavedog/GPG to such lengths that they ended up trying to make SupCom 2 more like Starcraft, resulting in a total shitheap of a game, and now they're never going to make another RTS again. I'm never going to get to see what it would be like if you combined the actual gameplay of SupCom 1 with the new unit pathing algorithms they developed for SupCom 2, and/or any other innovations GPG might have come up with. Fuck 'em. Blizzard's some RTS murderers.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Spoken like children. Not that those children are wrong; rather, they're only right because that's objectively true for them, and it's only objectively true for them because they have not yet conditioned and developed their tastes beyond the natural inclination where these things are concerned: Sweet = good, give more; bitter = bad, get it away, sorta thing. Perfectly natural. But then, so is eating with your hands. 'Natural' isn't exactly something to strive for. The Czech's beer is the sole redeeming quality of their entire culture.
The "acquired taste" is the hallmark of pretentious people who think that developing a way to appreciate something that fucking sucks is better than developing the ability to appreciate things that don't and be able to competently distinguish between them. I wouldn't call whisky, rum, or tea necessarily sweet (though for the former two, I admittedly prefer them mixed with sweet beverages to offset their natural flavors) - and in any case, I'd take each of the three over beer or coffee any day, in any fuckin' state whatsoever.

Beer in particular is something that people drink because their fucking parents, family, or friends do, as well as 'cause it's cheap, easy to get a hold of, and not wildly offensive to the body in the way that liquors can be. Acting like you're a refined man of culture because you drink beer is bullshit, because you're on a similar level of taste as any alcoholic white trash fuckface who gets trashed by 11 in the morning.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Beer in particular is something that people drink because their fucking parents, family, or friends do, as well as 'cause it's cheap, easy to get a hold of, and not wildly offensive to the body in the way that liquors can be. Acting like you're a refined man of culture because you drink beer is bullshit, because you're on a similar level of taste as any alcoholic white trash fuckface who gets trashed by 11 in the morning.
Lemme just point out that the distinctions between what such people are drinking, and any major brew I'd include in the umbrella of "good beer," importantly include that even at at the relatively popular, long-established level, the latter is substantially more expensive to get drunk on than any of your standard fare or mine. That's just a fact.

I will further posit that if you were to distribute samples of such brew to individuals of the sort you refer to as the aforementioned "white trash," they would almost universally react to it in a similar manner to how you would, albeit probably to a slightly lesser extent. This is only natural, of course, as they are only slightly more accustomed to the flavor than you are, or that I was until a particular set of circumstances - specifically, extreme heat and thirst, - one day led to the conclusion and realization that the cold refreshment I'd been handed was delicious.

Finally, there's certainly nothing pretentious about my admission that the Czechs and I do have one key thing in common, where taste and preference are involved, and that they generally just do it better. That's just pure, (albeit reluctant) honest admission of fact.

No doubt it's due to the German influence as just about everything else about their culture is, but as much as I hate to admit it, they've actually been outdoing even the Germans on this one. Weird, but (subjectively) true.

AndyM03

The "acquired taste" is the hallmark of pretentious people who think that developing a way to appreciate something that fucking sucks is better than developing the ability to appreciate things that don't and be able to competently distinguish between them.
Idk man I always hated veggies as a kid and only ate them with mashed potato. Eventually was forced to eat them without it and as an adult I'm happy to munch on plenty of greens. Beer's the same thing in my mind. Plus as what Easy said, you won't acquire to every beer, some beers are shithouse and some are great. Sounds like you either didn't try hard enough or it's just really out of your taste range, which is totally fine. Doesn't disprove that acquiring taste is a real thing.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Beer is good. IPA's are overrated. I don't drink anymore though due to working out.

The Hound

Just Monika
So I was a big beer drinker, almost to the level of being a connoisseur when I was younger. It can be absolutely heavenly if you find the right beer for what you're eating or the environment you're in (Yes there are some beers that are better in certain situations, like on a rooftop patio in 90 degree weather). Anyone who says they do not like beer has only not found the right beer for them, I say the same thing about Sushi (there's just so much variety).

Just a little thing you guys might not know about me and why I said I was a big beer drinker but no longer am is about 5 years ago I was diagnosed with Celiac disease so no more delicious gluten for me.

AndyM03

So I was a big beer drinker, almost to the level of being a connoisseur when I was younger. It can be absolutely heavenly if you find the right beer for what you're eating or the environment you're in (Yes there are some beers that are better in certain situations, like on a rooftop patio in 90 degree weather). Anyone who says they do not like beer has only not found the right beer for them, I say the same thing about Sushi (there's just so much variety).

Just a little thing you guys might not know about me and why I said I was a big beer drinker but no longer am is about 5 years ago I was diagnosed with Celiac disease so no more delicious gluten for me.
Sucks about Celiac, my mums the same she hates it.

And fuckin' so true about the weather. There is nothing better then tiring yourself out doing any physical activity out in the sun, getting tired and sweaty as fuck, and then having an ice cold beer. It's literally what I live for.

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
I personally think beer tastes gross, but I also dislike almost all alcohol even the super sweet stuff that people say they can't taste the alcohol.

I've tried a large variety of types and qualities on the off chance I might find something I like. Because might as well try something new at least once.

The only alcohol I actually enjoyed was a home brewed peach cobbler moonshine.

As for drinking gross things until you like them, all I have to say is, you do you. I personally prefer to spend my money on beverages I actually enjoy.

The Hound

Just Monika
Aren't there any good/decent gluten-free beers?
No, at least none that I've found and unfortunately most of the bars around me offer the same 1 or 2 gluten free beers that just really aren't that good. Whenever I get a chance I'll try a new one but they just don't replicate anything other than a really weak light beer. I mostly stick to cocktails or hard ciders at this point, though I just don't drink that much these days.

I do recommend to anyone who doesn't like beer or alcohol in general that it's a good idea to find one thing you can tolerate at the bar because I've found that a lot of people in the business world like to have drinks and it helps you advance your career if you can join them in that. Though I say the same thing about learning the game of golf.

Last edited:

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
No, at least none that I've found and unfortunately most of the bars around me offer the same 1 or 2 gluten free beers that just really aren't that good. Whenever I get a chance I'll try a new one but they just don't replicate anything other than a really weak light beer. I mostly stick to cocktails or hard ciders at this point, though I just don't drink that much these days.

I do recommend to anyone who doesn't like beer or alcohol in general that it's a good idea to find one thing you can tolerate at the bar because I've found that a lot of people in the business world like to have drinks and it helps you advance your career if you can join them in that. Though I say the same thing about learning the game of golf.
https://urbantastebud.com/gluten-free-beers-that-taste-good/

I just found this. No idea if they're any good, but always worth a shot. I found it via double-checking that Angry Orchard was gluten-free.

The Hound

Just Monika
I've had 80% of those, I really like the ciders that are on there especially Stella's Cidre. Omission and Redbridge are especially meh. Angry Orchard is ok but a little too sweet for my liking.

Ibix

Most beers I've had taste pretty bad, but I also thought coffee was bad until I drank it for months. Even for someone that isn't a big fan though; the quality is what matters most taste-wise. A bud-wiser tastes awful when compared to Guinness or even a Rolling Rock. Granted maybe you could argue these are too distinct to compared if you are hyper into your beer.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
I've been drinking a few different kinds of whiskys lately, mostly on the higher-proof end of things. Gotta say, it really strongly appeals to me as an alcoholic beverage when mixed with cola; I'm not much of an "on the rocks" dude, though.

Top Bottom