Continuous CYOA: The Road to Free Roller

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
I'm down to see where this leads. Investigate the Guild of Blacksmiths and Armorers.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Intermission IV: Suspicions (The Obligatory Musical One)

It was technically high noon, but the dark clouds swirling over the streets of the forum cast dark enough of a shadow that it may as well have been evening. Police chief 13thforsworn pulled up to the run-down alley, crowded with investigators and yellow tape. He stopped the cruiser about half a block away, stepped out of it, and briefly muttered to himself with displeasure.

"Hey, you two!" He called out to a couple of trench-coated, bowler hat-wearing detectives taking a smoke break by the corner. "Are you retarded? Are you trying to contaminate my scene? And the rest of you, what, are you on break, too? Do you want to find Tirin, or not?"

"Huh?" Sideshow Bob, the detective whose cigarette was quite probably filled with more than just tobacco, looked up at him with bloodshot eyes, and answered with a terrible impression of a 60's film-noire tough. "What d'you mean, chief? There's really nothin' here. Source just said he was spotted, that's all. We're photographing everythin' just in case, but, y'know." He shrugged. "Figure the best bet is to just get Regis down here to track 'im, before it rains."

"That's what we're waiting for, right now." Said Shizno, the other detective. "I blew the whistle a few minutes ago, so he should be here soon. I can't go get him, because we locked ourselves out of our car."

13th looked at the battered cruiser they'd been assigned, parked halfway on the curb just beside the alley. Then he turned to look inside the alley, where Zircom and Whitetiger shuffled around, clicking away with their cameras. "You lot are a disgrace," he said, shaking his head, as he walked over to the dumpster and pulled out a battered, beaten old fedora.

Just then, Bob's cell phone, which he'd left inside the car, went off. Funky music filled the air. 13th stared at it for a few seconds, then took a deep breath, and turned to lecture his crew.

13TH:
Stop taking pictures with your zoom on high
I swear, you're missing half the clues that Tirin left behind
This ain't the time for distractions, there's no time for games
Right now, you're fucking up in half a dozen different ways

Don't try to tell me I'm too cautious or insane
Things haven't been this bad here since way back in Shadow's Reign
I'll hunt down Tirin, put a bullet through his brain
And find out who's really on his side!

I've grown suspicious
Suspicious of this place
How could he tear up half the boards
Then disappear without a trace?

Oh, so suspicious,
Suspicious of this place
Don't turn your backs on anyone
Who hides his figure or his face

Oh, suspicious!
Suspicious of this place and time!

In another part of the forum, Tirin looked down at a wailing K-9 vehicle, driving by the abandoned office building he was currently hiding in. He watched the streets for a few more seconds after it passed, then shut the blinds, turning away from the window. Thunder rolled behind him. To fill the silence that followed it, he started singing in advance, as he made his way down the hall and to the showers. At least the cold water still worked here.

TIRIN:
Howling sirens, dogs, and flashing lights
But they are never gonna catch me, doesn't matter how they try
But that's not really the problem, cause it's hard to find
Some way to stop that evil bastard while I run and hide

Stealthy's going down, as sure as taxes, death, and pain
I'll take him down and put a bullet through his brain
Or I'll join Easy in the afterlife!

Cause I'm suspicious
Suspicious of his face
I've gotta be the one to stop him
Now that Easy's been erased

And I'm suspicious
Suspicious of his plays
Why is he keeping me alive
And keeping Easy in the grave?

Well, then vicious
Delicious vengeance will be mine!

13th met the incoming Regis with the fedora in hand, letting him sniff at it. He took hold of the leash dragging behind him, and followed along as the forum's weird, sometimes-dog-sometimes-dude version of a werewolf started sniffing along down the alley.

Tirin stepped into the shower, and turned the water on to full. It came out at just above freezing - the perfect temperature.

13TH + TIRIN
Thinks he can do as he likes
I'll put him in his place
I'm gonna bring the justice!
I'm gonna bring the pain!

Time to put an end to all of Stealthy's fucking games
I'll run him down and put a bullet through his brain!
I think it's time he met his own demise!

Cause I'm suspicious

Suspicious of this place
Can't turn your back on these jamokes
Can't ever ease up on the chase

Cause I'm suspicious
Suspicious of his aims
It feels like something here ain't right
I'm gonna find out what's his game

TOGETHER:
Oh, suspicious!
He's gone too fucking far this time!

Last edited:

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
The entire @13thforsworn story arc was spawned from a whim I had the other day, when the idea for teaser video came to me more or less spontaneously. And now it's totally gonna be a thing.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
- Investigate the Guild of Blacksmiths and Armorers [RISK: +1 / SPIRIT: +1 / PROFIT: +1 / SYNC: +2]
I'm down to see where this leads. Investigate the Guild of Blacksmiths and Armorers.
Oh. Also, you're not limited to just one choice for this one. Forgot to mention. You can pick as many of the available options as you like, though at least two of them will be dead ends and strictly negative. You can also vote against any secondary choices someone else puts in, if you don't want them to go through. Anything with a net vote count of at least +1 will be applied.

Either way, I'll try to update over the weekend.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Also, are we doing this now in our CYOA? Do I need to add a musical?
Y'know...

Put it this way:

I can't say that I don't see why you wouldn't. But I most definitely can see why you would.

Steal Thy Kill

Oh. Also, you're not limited to just one choice for this one. Forgot to mention. You can pick as many of the available options as you like, though at least two of them will be dead ends and strictly negative. You can also vote against any secondary choices someone else puts in, if you don't want them to go through. Anything with a net vote count of at least +1 will be applied.
This is not a good idea.

Walrus

This is not a good idea.
Let's put that theory to the test.

I hereby choose all of the options.

Actually no. In the interest of not ruining everything, I'm changing my vote to investigate the guild + sabotage the designs

Last edited:

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Gonna update tomorrow. With S4 coming up soon, of course, the time has come to start throwing out RWBY references in the story.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
The Teal Storm: Part I

It was midnight. A shadowy figure sidled up to the NFT warehouse's front doors, fiddled with the latches for a minute, and then opened them inwards and entered. It strode up to the middle of the enclosure, sat down with crossed legs, and extended an arm.

"All right, Easy. Let's do this shit." The figure muttered, turning his palm to face downwards. Sparks jumped up and down his arm as the wind circled around him, whipping about his hood and his raincoat. The dark circle of an Interspace portal opened up beneath his outstretched palm, slowly expanding.

Soon, the portal had grown to the size of a dinner plate, when the figure suddenly gasped and turned aside, the sparks and wind disappearing instantly as he keeled over and dry-heaved on the floor for a few seconds. He struggled back to his knees and sighed deeply, taking in the sight of the portal, which had stopped expanding. Better than last time, but... night after night of practice, and he still couldn't make it any bigger than this.

Oh, well. He closed his eyes and reached out through the void, searching for the familiar energy of his lost vital organs, but it was no use. It was like finding a needle in a haystack, if the haystack was also buried in a pile with a thousand other haystacks, all stacked in a yard across the street, and the only view available was through a tiny peephole in his front door. It was hopeless. Eventually, he gave up, sitting back and pulling something from his coat pockets instead.

"Damn you, Polack" he grumbled, uncapping his bottle of potato vodka, and pouring into a couple of shot glasses he'd set down in front of him. "Leaving me to clean up your mess, like this. Dealing with Stealthy's supposed to be your job."

He carefully took hold of the shot glass in front of him, leveling it just next to the other. "Na zdrowie, you dumb jag" he said bitterly, clinking it gently against the second glass, and then lifting it up to gulp it down. Then he grabbed the second glass and slowly, with an air of sadness, poured it into the portal. This was followed up with a few more halfhearted insults, and the process was repeated again. And again. And again.

The bottle had finally been emptied when, without looking around, Tirin slipped a hand into another pocket of his coat, and grabbed hold of a large, heavy, .357 magnum revolver. "You're not the first bounty hunter I've run into lately," he said aloud, to the unseen observer at the doors. "And you won't be the last."

The door, which the bounty hunter had been sure he'd entered without even the slightest amount of noise to accompany him, was immediately closed as he realized the gig was up, and was followed by the winding, clicking sound of his key drawing shut the locks.

"You are bold, to set foot on NFTea property." He called back, softly; a small, unfamiliar, hunchbacked-looking silhouette. "The den of your enemies. And the site of Easy's grave, at that."

Tirin grit his teeth, steadily cocking the revolver in front of him, outside the invader's line of sight. "He was once my bro" he growled, slowly moving his other hand in to steady the weapon. Then he shouted and turned, springing aside with surprising agility. "Didn't your boss tell you who I was!?"

He rolled and came up on one knee, firing four rapid-fire shots at the shadowy figure, who reacted by diving behind a nearby column. Two of the bullets found their marks, knocking him aside as he ran, but seemed to ricochet off and go through the wall behind at an angle. Tirin swore under his breath, and pried the chamber open to reload while he had the time.

"I know who you are, Tirin." The figure called back, still speaking calmly. Now, however, there was an edge of bitterness to his tone.

"I know you come here every night, at the same time." He ducked away from the edge of the column, as several gunshots answered him, tearing away at the old brick and mortar.

He pulled out a gun of his own, behind the column, and shouted angrily, "You risk so much!" ...before jumping out from cover at ground level with his pistol held in front of him. "To honor someone you murdered!"

Surprised at his enemy's swiftness, Tirin immediately activated his time dilation, sprinting behind a nearby bulldozer with what any observer would see as inhuman speed, as the bullets rained down on where he'd just been standing. Once in cover behind the shovel of the machine, he gasped for breath as he relaxed his time control, fumbling to reload his weapon while his hands trembled from the effects of pushing his limit, such as it was now, so much in such a short time.

"Don't talk like you know something about what happened, asshole!" He yelled, in a rage. "You weren't there! And you wouldn't even get it if you were!"

Eyes narrowed, he stepped out from behind the bulldozer and sighted across the room, ready to fire, only to see several long, mechanical, spider-leg looking extensions unfold from the hunch in the figure's back and scurry rapidly up the walls to disappear into the shadows among the rafters, dragging the bounty hunter along with them.

To be continued...

Last edited:

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
If I'm being real honest, this section of the Tirin story was originally planned to take place a bit later in the series. I've already been wanting to write it for months, though, and didn't feel like waiting any more. So, now this is happening.

Top Bottom