Continuous CYOA: The Road to Free Roller

Walrus

TC is too weak and in too much pain. Sit down and wait for somebody to show up. He's not psychologically ready to be a free roller yet.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
TC is too weak and in too much pain. He is currently very far from becoming a free roller. Sit down and wait for somebody to show up.
Yes?

Is that the road to Free Roller, d'you think?

Steal Thy Kill

Opening the door by smashing the lock with the broken locker door is probably the smartest option. But I wanna see TC try and do a pull-up and probably fall through the ceiling if he makes it so let's go with Ceiling escape.

Requiem

Ceiling escape is an idea.

Bonus points if he makes some diehard references in the vents.

And yes, I'm voting for ceiling escape.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Ceiling escape it is. Sorry, gang, I've been fucking around with XCOM ever since I saw TC screw up at it, but I'll get back on this business.

Last edited:

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
He looked around the room as his eyes adjusted. There was the torn-off locker door he'd tripped on, bent into an 'L' shape by the force it had been ripped out with. A little further on he saw a discarded towel, and nearby, the locker in which his clothes were stored. Finally. He opened it and put them on, while trying to think of a way out of here. The gap under the door was pretty wide, so... but then again, the ceiling tiles were loose-hanging. Maybe he could climb through?

The ceiling was relatively low, and standing atop one of the benches gave him just enough height to slide some tiles aside and reach through to a mess of exposed pipes, cables, and beams. One black-painted metal pipe in particular seemed strong enough to hold his meager weight, but there was one problem: his arms weren't. Several failed jumps and pull-ups later, he decided to back down and rethink his approach.

Obviously, he didn't have the strength for this. So what did he have? Looking around, he started to formulate a plan...

Half an hour later, TC stood up and proudly admired his work. With a sharp metal edge from the broken locker, he'd managed to cut the discarded towel into several long, thin strips. Then, using his boy scout knowledge, he'd tied these strips end-to-end, looping one of them through the mail slots in the bent locker door, and putting several hanging loops in the makeshift rope itself. The end result was an improvised grappling hook and line, one that even he could climb. Standing on top of the bench again, he carefully lifted the locker door and pushed one end of it over the black pipe, then stretched as far as he could reach and slid the other end over a nearby gray one.

Unfortunately, something gave way as soon as he stuck one foot into the first hanging loop, and put his weight on it.

Everything came crashing down with a girlish yelp from Thunderclaw, with him landing hard on his tailbone, and the locker door banging against the back of his skull. Something started hissing from above, and the overhead lights started flickering rapidly and making a low-toned, buzzing sort of sound.

"Great," he said aloud, to himself. "Now I have to fix the lights." He made his way over to the switch, and started testing it out.

Ten minutes later, the building rocked to the sound of an explosion as the light switch combusted, (which shouldn't even have been possible), taking a huge chunk of the nearby wall apart with it. A soot-covered Thunderclaw, dirty but otherwise apparently unaffected by the blast, (which also shouldn't have been possible), crawled out through the hole, and stood up to survey his work. Probably best if he told everybody that he'd done it on purpose, he decided.

As he walked his aching body back home, he thought over all of his failures.

His spirit was too weak. Faced with misfortune and regret, he'd burst out into tears of despair almost instantly.

His body was too weak. Even with an attack advantage in the fight against Firedemon, he'd fallen. Then, when he needed his muscles for the climb, he'd fallen again.

His mind was too weak. If he'd been thinking properly, he could have used the moment Tim turned against Firedemon, and built off of that momentum. Instead, he'd simply rushed into a losing fight, and suffered for it.

He'd have to train all of them.

End of Introduction.

What does TC train first: body, mind, or spirit? Choose here, and stay tuned for the beginning of Act One! (Coming soon!)

Last edited:

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Without a strong spirit, you will crumble before all obstacles. For this reason, TC should first strengthen his soul.

Requiem

Spirit. TC isn't necessarily dumb (though honing his mind necessary) and strength will take time on its own. Spirit is most important out of those three.

Also, TC must have involuntary probability manipulation if he gets out of so many accidents like these practically unscathed. Any deliberate action from other people fucks him up, sure, but he otherwise deals with environmental stuff pretty damn well. Maybe he has just so much bad luck built up that he's immune to his own bad luck, but everything around him isn't.

Wouldn't that be a powerfully shitty ability. Or a shittily powerful ability? Hard to say.

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
I think that TC would be foolish enough to think that all he needed to do was be physically stronger in order to best his challenges. And then, when that fails, he'll despair again until Easy points out to him that strength isn't just about punching things, but about the strength that comes from within (mind, soul).

My vote's on body.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Spirit. TC isn't necessarily dumb (though honing his mind necessary) and strength will take time on its own.
They all will. TC's not gonna get that spirit overnight.

TimTh33nchant3r

Spirit for sure. If he doesn't even have the will to fight, how's strength gonna help him?

Lets see some killing spirit, TC. >:-D

Steal Thy Kill

Mind.

Spirit's great, but you need to be able to do something with it. He's nowhere near close to being able to stand up for himself physically, so he needs to make better decisions.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
ACT I: THE PATH OF THE SPIRIT
Chapter One: Dissent
FANTASY NATIONS RP

The forum's longest-running (and technically oldest) RP had... a reputation. Which was one way of putting it. Looking at the big, silent, somewhat warehouse-looking building from the street, Thunderclaw found it was somehow not what he had pictured. He tentatively approached the large glass double doors, noting the dust and the poor lighting within. Half-remembered quotes from some of the forum's more prolific characters kept running through his head.

"I just don't think I'm manly enough for Fantasy Nations RP. I wouldn't do it justice."

"If Chocobo were alive today, he'd be a huge fan of Fantasy Nations RP."

"I am downright terrified of that [Fantasy Nations] RP. I'm peeing a little bit, just from thinking about it. I did use the bathroom a couple of minutes ago, so there's no actual pee, as such; but as you can see, I'm pissing blood just because of my body's biological need to piss itself when I'm as terrified as I am right now. Oh God, I can't stop talking about it either, and that just makes me think about it even more. Please help me."

He squeezed his eyes shut, shook his head vigorously to help push the voices out, took a deep breath, and pushed on the handle. It didn't move. He frowned. The sign said 'Open', didn't it? He tried again. Nothing. It rattled a bit. He thought about giving up, but stopped himself there. Didn't he come here to learn about spirit? Was he just going to accept that he didn't even have enough of that to get through the door? He renewed his assault with vigor, trying the other door this time. Nothing. Was it a test? Did he just need to push harder?

Ten minutes later, he finally tried pulling on one of the handles, which swung open easily. A short, young Asian man looked up sleepily from behind the desk of the large, open room, which looked like an archive of some sort. Several dozen feet of filing cabinets lined each wall floor-to-ceiling.

"Oh, TC." Said Dragonruby, in a tired voice. "I was wondering who was making all that racket. What's up? You lost or something?"

"No. I, uh... I'm here for the RP."

"You what?" Dragonruby stared and rubbed his eyes, as if just now starting to wake. "For this? Fantasy Nations?"

"Yes. Are those the applications?" He pointed to a stack of forms on the desk. They didn't seem to have been used for quite some time.

"Well... yes."

"I'll take one."

Druby said nothing as Thunderclaw got to work on filling out the sheet, but was surprised to see him hand it back just a few minutes later, mostly blank. He looked it over. "So," he said, after a bit of a pause. "You'll be entering the simulation world as... let's see... human male, brown hair, white skin, age 'twenty-something'... name of 'Colonel Thunder', (that's dumb), faction: none?" He shook his head.

"Look, I don't really run this thing anymore. Nobody really does. You wanna put that into the computer, I won't stop you, but the sim-world kinda... runs itself. It's developed a lot since we first started it up. You throw in something that doesn't fit, that's gonna start desynchronizing it, and it's gonna start pushing back."

"Here." Setting the paper down, Druby reached over and pushed a button on the side of the desk. Suddenly, one of the smaller cabinets in the back of the room came to life and wheeled over to them with a mechanical whir. It stopped by Thunderclaw and opened, revealing a wide open, mechanized interior. Robotic arms unfolded, grabbed a massive stack of paper from within, and lifted it out onto the desk. It hit the wooden surface with a wham, and TC couldn't help but notice that one of the floor tiles cracked underneath the table legs as it hit.

"This is the introductory material." Dragonruby continued, seeming unfazed by all this. "If you're going to go through with this, then I highly recommend reading through all of it first. This RP breaks people." His voice lowered, almost to a whisper. "They still don't know what happened to Milamber."

TC swallowed. That was ominous. Then he looked at the stack of paper again. It was massive, and filled margin-to-margin with blocks of plain text. Reading all that would take a very, very long time.

Did he...

- Read the material
- Skip the material,
- Skim the material
- Maybe just give up, try something easier instead?
- ???

Last edited:
Top Bottom