Destiny 2

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I played this game on console with some friends (sort of) for a while, drunk and tired, and it was hella dope.

So I got it on PC, and now it's got 144 FPS and much better controls. But it's not as good, because I don't got people to stomp with.

Somebody get this game, so we can buddy it up and have a dope ass time already.

Last edited:

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I got a Hunter and a hand cannon and hit lvl 10, and had a dope ass time fucking up lvl 20's in Crucible because I'm used to McCree'ing people without aim assist and they, apparently, aren't. It's great... at least for now.

Requiem

I'm told it feels crispy and makes the overall experience that much better. It feels good on console still, but nothing could beat the feel of mouse and keyboard anyways. I'm sure you'll still enjoy it plenty because of that, even when you get to the "incentive drought" part of the endgame.

Requiem

Oh hey, if you end up having any questions on something, let me know, I've got this game more or less figured out as a whole by now. How to make public events heroic, what guns are good, which ones aren't, hidden gems in the loot pool, that sort of thing. I'm down to help if you need it.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I've got no buddies for a fireteam for the higher-unlock strikes, and just beating them myself by stealthing through as many fights as possible and assassinating the boss seems not to work (though I still get okay loot from it). What do?

Requiem

You can sometimes solo the nightfalls, but that's not always going to be possible with the various modifiers that some weeks will have.

Getting a fireteam is a must for higher level activities, basically. I'd suggest trying some Looking For Group options. The100.io is a site that let's you input your information, your gaming preferences (time of day, what days you're active, whether you prefer to play laid back or as a try hard, etc.) and then matches you with 99 other players with similar settings to yourself. Usually you'll find some swell dudes to play with from that.

If that's not your fancy, take to reddit and see if you can't find help there. r/DestinySherpas (might not have the s at the end) is a subreddit for people trying to help other people get through nightfalls, the raid, or even Trials of the Nine, the top tier PvP mode that starts every Friday.

r/Fireteams is also a good one. It's a bit if a crapshoot, but you might find a good group.

I'd also suggest finding a clan to join. That's a more permanent method of finding people to play with and you might make some good friends out of the deal. r/DestinyTheGame isn't specifically for clans, but they're a good source of Destiny content and discussion if that's something you're interested in. They also different themes for specific days, so if you do wanna find a clan, I think Wednesday is when they let people promote their clans in a Megathread of some kind. I think there's also a clan subreddit out there, but I don't know what the name would be.

From there though, make sure you download the Destiny app. Destiny Item Manager is also extremely important. Both the app and the DIM site (which you can add to your home screen even though there's no phone app) let you actually swap items from your different characters without having to log back into another character and dropping an item in the vault. You can even do it mid match in PvP, though don't do that.

There's other nice things you might want, but you don't need them, so let me know if you want more resources. The destiny app will probably be your best bet to acclimate you to everything, but it's not the best made app in the world, so you'll wanna switch eventually. It's not bad by any means, it's just not great.

There's guided games you can matchmake into for nightfalls and the raid, but those are only in beta right now and they're also kinda hit and miss. Bungie refuses to do pure matchmaking for that content and you can kinda see why. It's important content and some people like to absolutely dick people over by being assholes.

Destiny has both the best and the worst fandom I've ever seen. When it's good, it's great, when it's bad, fuck me.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Req... you're a real bro.

Don't ever forget that.

Requiem

Thanks man. It's too bad you're on PC, we'd be tearing it up on xbox. I'm basically gonna be playing nothing but destiny for the next month or two due to my living situation right now.

Don't get me wrong though, the PC version is fucking slick. The meta is also a little different due to there being no aim assist. Hand Cannons are trash on console, only a few good ones, but apparently they're killing it on PC.

The current meta right now is a good scout rifle (Nameless Midnight is amazing, get three for each of your characters, but a good energy scout rifle is the Mananan SR4, I think it's called. Crispy snipes with explosive rounds on both weapons), a good mid range auto rifle (Uriel's Gift is top tier due to having great stability and High Caliber Rounds. It makes people flinch in PvP, ruining their shots and it majorly flinches enemies in PvE) or a fast time to kill short range weapon (Last Hope is the best sidearm in the game, it just doesn't have great range and apparently sidearms aren't the best on PC, so watch for that and see what you think).

As for power weapons, experiment with what you like, there's no right answer there really. Some tips, however.

Rocket launchers - These are actually your bread and butter for killing bosses and clearing adds in PvE. They can also get you a few good noob tube kills in PvP, so they're a nice all around weapon type.

Notable launchers:

Curtain Call (nice reserve of ammo, 6 shots, and it explodes into a cluster bomb. That's 1 big explosion and then a lot of little explosions. You want rockets that have this perk, it's top tier)

Blue Shift (not the best, but nice, just doesn't do anything in particular)

Sins of the Past (the raid rocket and apparently the best one in the game)

Wardcliff Coil (this is the exotic rocket launcher and mother of God is it good. It fires a massive spread of little rockets that can do a fuck ton of single target damage, if you can hit it with all of the rockets. You have to practice with it though, you will kill yourself with it a lot if you aren't careful. Shooting from the air is good, so jump in the air or get up high and fire down on the enemy. It'll clear adds and make soloing public events the easiest thing in the world. It also auto loads heavy ammo into itself when you have it out and walk over a heavy ammo brick)

Shotguns - Hawthorne's Field Forged Shotgun is the tits. Full auto, crispy, smooth like butter. Get it. I'm sure some others are good too, but Hawthorne is awesome and she made a top tier shotgun. Go her. The Legend of Acrius is both the exotic shotgun and the raid shotgun. You have to do a quest to earn this weapon. The quest has a lot of pieces. It includes beating the raid and doing a specific nightfall strike, the Arms Dealer. It's annoying, but basically you earn the quest from killing Cabal, it goes into your power weapon inventory, you complete the various parts of the quest, eventually unlocking the shotgun itself. Then you have to go do things to upgrade the shotgun and make it better.

Snipers - Eh... These are so situational and you have to get heavy to make them work. I really wouldn't recommend them for PvP at all and for PvE, you can just have a good rocket instead. Ones to look out for though are any that have explosive payload, outlaw, or elemental explosion. A Single Clap is a good one, I hear. D.A.R.C.I. is the exotic sniper and it's also just alright.

Grenade Launchers - Trash. Play of the Game can be earned from Shaxx, heard that ones alright, but GLs just need work to be viable. The Prospector is the exotic GL and it's a monster for PvE and Public Events, so eh, it's not all bad.

Fusion Rifles - Main Ingredient. You can get it from doing normal strikes and turning tokens into Zavala. It's good, you'll like it. The Merciless is the exotic fusion rifle. It is the tits, it will shred bosses. You want this exotic.

Swords - Holy shit are these great fun. You use swords to clear adds in PvE content, but they also one shot people in PvP. Swords to look out for are ones that give you heavy ammo back after doing a thing, like getting three kills rapidly.

Notable swords: Each of the classes get their own unique sword from Cayde after beating the campaign. You can't use the sword of another class, unfortunately. Titans get Crownsplitter, a heavy type that swings slow, but does massive damage if it connects. Not recommended for PvP at all, but great for PvE. Warlocks get Eternity's Edge, just a fantastic all around weapon with a unique look. It's not too different from other swords anyone can get though which is a shame. Hunters get by far, the best sword. It's the only light type sword in the game. You run faster with it out, you don't even need ammo in it for that to work. You run like a little weeb ninja with it and while its range isn't the best, it attacks extremely fast. Great for PvP, especially on a stealth nightstalker, and decent in PvE.

Remember! When using a sword, you don't have to use the main fire button. I don't know what the controls are on PC, but on console, swords have two attacks. One that uses 3 rounds of heavy ammo, one that uses 1 round. If you've got that figured out, make sure you only use the 1 round attack in PvP. That'll still get you a one shot kill without burning through all of your heavy. Careful though, once you run out, that's it. The weapon can still swing, but it's slow and doesn't do any damage really. That's useful in PvE for swords that get ammo back, but not for PvP.

And from there, notable weapons in general:

MIDA - You get this from completing the world quest of the EDZ and doing tasks for Banshee. Don't do it until after about 270 power, maybe 280. The longer you hold off on it, the stronger your MIDA will be when it drops which means its easier to get to higher power, so keep that in mind.

Nameless Midnight, Mananan SR4, for reasons mentioned

Better Devils, Old Fashioned, decent hand cannons. The Better Devils has explosive payload, like the Nameless and Mananan. It's a great weapon all around. Old Fashioned is just nice and simple, what it says on the tin.

Origin Story, Scathelocke, Uriel's great auto rifles. Origin and scathelocke font have HCR, but they're kinetic and they're wonderful. Origin has rampage which gives you more damage per kill up to three kills. Great for PvE, good for PvP. Scathelocke has a 600 rounds per minute stat. It's a great weapon, but gets beaten out by other autos at 450 RPM. Just depends on preference. Uriel's, as I mentioned, has HCR and is slick. Good stuff.

Last Hope is the only sidearm you really need, but experiment, you never know what might be good for you.

Pulse rifles don't really have a strong place in the meta. That said, Nightshade is a good one and you can get it from Zavala after doing his strike quest once opening up the tower. You can choose between origin story, Nameless, or the nightshade. Any of these are good, but I suggest origin or Nameless. Two great pulse rifles though are the Vigilance Wing exotic and the Time Worn Spire you can earn when the iron banner comes around. Vigilance is great in PvP, it has a five round burst. It eats ammo like crazy, so not recommended for PvE. Time Worn Spire is great in PvP as well with a fast time to kill. Also okay in PvE, but there are much better kinetics for PvE.

And that's it. I can't really think of any other weapons for you to worry about.

If you have any questions about exotics or want tips for a specific class, let me know. I have one of each and they're all close to being max power. I know the different armor pieces pretty well and the class specific exotic armor gear as well.

Any question at all, I can probably answer in depth. Just let me know.

And just to say it, Scout rifles are basically the meta right now. They kill well and from far away. Get to love them, but don't be afraid to experiment as well, PC is a different beast from console due to the lack of aim assist. The meta there is shifting in different, fun ways, like the hand cannon thing I mentioned earlier.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Yeah, I've been straight cleaning house with a hand cannon in PvP since I first walked into the Crucible at level 10. It's like McCree, but if everybody was bigger, slower, took more damage from your gun, and had no tanks or healers at all - also, I'm more mobile and have triple-jumps and grenades and stealth mode, I can scope, and I can pull out a sword and Dragonblade prettymuch whenever I want, provided I can secure the ammo for it. Also my ult's like a Pharah ult, which is arguably even better against an all-DPS comp than High Noon is because you don't have to survive out in the open for several seconds before doing any damage (just at the same time).

Also, goddamn, you made me want to hit up Battle.net and fire that Destiny 2 up straight away. I was watching Iron Fist and kinda liking it, too, but now here I am getting ready to shoot things again.

I'm playing a Nightstalker for the moment, with the stealth-mode & multi-fire ult level options. I'm thinking the other Nightstalker path might be better for PvP, or, more probably, straight-up Golden Gun High Noon Mode, but I'm already wrecking shit with this thing and I think it's best I keep doing it until I have it totally down, before moving on to work on other paths. Not exactly itching for any extra advantages in PvP, at the moment.

Right now I'm sitting on 235 power and I've managed to solo Arms Dealer, but only by stealthing through the part between the Lieutenant and the End Boss, and while I got the crate full of loot from killing that guy and getting his keycode, it apparently didn't count as a real victory 'cause of all those nameless foot-soldier Cabal I left unslain. Bummer. The Old Fashioned is my current hand cannon of choice, but I haven't exactly come across a wealth of alternative options yet so far. The damage boost it gives your clip, for reloading just after a kill, has turned out surprisingly handy, I have to say. Did not think it would be that much of a perk, but that extra thump on each of your shots really makes a difference, especially with crits.

Just how does the upgrade system for this weaponry and armor work - or, more to the point, not to be a lazy dick who won't just google things - how would you recommend using it, in general? Cause I know damn near nothing about this; only that I've upgraded my Coldheart once to keep its Attack value on-par with my other weaponry, (it just took consuming one rare weapon, and some legendary shards apparently, to do this - so I'm not sure if the upgrade amount correlates very strongly with the consumed weapon's stats), and it still continues to disappoint me. "Exponential damage," my ass. Quadratic with a hella underwhelming peak value, rather; really not the boss-slayer I'd hoped it would be. And if I'm not getting this wrong, I gave up some of them pretty-valuable legendary shards for that upgrade, no?

Been using Complex Solution for my sword, cause it gives me back ammo for kills. Fwoom-fwoom sword man all day, never run outta swordin'. Had one of the ones, forget the name, where it made me super fast and had a special quick-dash-slash alternate fire, but scrapped it when it became clearly less ammo efficient for PvE and got out-paced in Attack value by my other stuff. In retrospect, probably a bad move, since it's upgradeable after all and it's way better value for PvP - but in all fairness, I didn't really know or think of that at the time.

Requiem

Yeah, don't feel bad about your hunter sword. It's really hard to get from a legendary engram, but you'll get another one eventually if you just keep grinding. That or you can make another hunter and beat the campaign again, that really doesn't take that much time and you get free stuff out of it (all of the stuff you earned while doing the campaign and completing missions, you can get again, like a free exotic of your choice, a free exotic engram, plus that easy to earn bright engram once you hit level 20).

As for infusing, basically it's like this.

You find a piece of gear you really like, use it until it's not all that powerful anymore and then when another piece of gear at a higher power level shows up, you infuse it into that older piece to make it viable again. It's to keep lower power gear something you want to use while still letting you experiment with different gear sets.

Once you hit about 265 power, you won't level up nearly as fast as you do right now. The game gives you a hard stop, more or less. This is when the true grind of the game begins.

To get higher power, you have to complete all of* your weekly milestones and start collecting gear that you want to keep and level up frequently. Eventually, you'll have multiple sets of armor for various things (like a set for void abilities, one for solar, another for arc, as well as a PvP oriented set, one for doing whatever you want, etc.) and that's mostly going to come down to what the sets do and how they look. Fashion Souls is a big part of the endgame, sadly. There's not a whole lot of customization, but what little there is, I'll explain.

To summarize: infuse gear you don't want of higher power levels into your older, weaker gear to bring it up to your current power level so you can keep doing good damage in PvE. Power level does not affect PvP.

Now, for customization.

First thing is shaders. One time use consumables, don't be afraid to consume them. Ships and sparrows cost a fuck ton of glimmer to put a shader on so hold that off for last. This is the only meaningless part of customization as it's just for looks, but you'll mess with that a lot in the end.

Onto the meaningful customization. First, weapons.

Kinetic weapons have one single mod, the Kinetic Attack Mod. It gives you a flat +5 to attack, but since it's the only mod kinetics can have, it's rare as fuck and you badixallt have to farm for it with the gunsmith. More on that below. Suffice it to say, these don't get handed out like candy, be careful with them and don't spend them unless it's a gun you know you're gonna be using often.

Energy weapons have an easier time. The only mods they have are different elemental attack mods. Solar, Arc, Void, that sort of thing. Any energy weapon can use any of these mods, except for exotics. They use the Kinetic Attack Mod, but they come with one built in, so you don't have to worry about that. Energy weapon mods will give you that same flat +5 attack, but they'll change your element if you don't like a specific gun having a certain element.

Power Weapons also use elemental attack mods. You'll use these so infrequently though that it's not as dire a situation for you to have to add a mod to these until endgame/max power.

Onto armor customization, where the actual customization happens... to an extent.

Like I mentioned earlier, you're gonna want to start collecting sets of armor that look good to you. Get a set for each of the things you wanna do.

Various pieces of gear have different mods you can set into them. You can add in a cooldown mod for your grenades, one for your melee ability, another for all class abilities (the [Element of Choice] Paragon mod), as well as mods that change the weapon handling of a specific type of weapon (kinetic, energy, or power, not pulse rifle, scout, etc.), the recoil, the reload speed. You can also get mods that give you a +1 to your Mobility, Resilience, or Recovery. More on that below.

That's customization in a nutshell. Read your mods so you know what they are exactly. Not all mods fit onto the same pieces of armor and some only go in specific class items.

- - -

For the Gunsmith, he offers a service once you hit 280 power (and that's with 280 power literally, not just the loot system calculating your power. It's the only part of the game where you have to actually equip your most powerful gear to get access to something) where he'll let you buy blue level mods (at random) for 2,500 glimmer. It's a steep price when you remember you only have 99,999 glimmer max. This is helpful because you can also turn any 3 blue mods into a single purple mod of the same type. If you need a purple hunter cloak recoil mod, all you need is three blue hunter cloak recoil mods. Once you hit 280, you should be swimming in blue mods, so you'll get a nice boost of legendary mods eventually.

That said, if you need to make space for stuff while grinding because your mod space is full, try getting rid of blue stuff. Or, if you absolutely have to get rid of purples, get rid of mobility mods or power weapon handling mods. These are the least necessary mods, especially for a hunter. You want to keep your power weapon reload mods though.

- - -

Mobility doesn't increase sprint speed, it only creases your normal, non sprint speed. That means it only affects strafing, really. It's not useless, you want a decent amount of it, but as a hunter, it's not the most necessary thing as you're already pretty dang fast.

Resilience is literally what it says it is. The higher your resilience, the more damage you can take before dying. That said, it's only about 20 points of damage difference between 0 and 10 resilience. That might seem like a lot, especially in PvP, but it's really not. You can get away with having about 4 resilience.

Recovery is by and large the most important stat. It affects how quickly you start to recover and, in doing so, how fast it takes you to get back to max health. I don't know the difference off the top of my head, but it's pretty drastic. You want this to be as high as you can make it on all classes.

*You don't need to do literally every milestone every week to level up properly, but it certainly doesn't hurt. Joining a clan will also get you another clan milestone every week as well as luminous engrams for completing certain activities (though those engrams are a one time use thing every week, so you can't get three of each of those engrams for each character you have. You do get that clan milestone on each character though.)

Keeo the questions coming! Oh and Coldheart us actually great! It's just situational. It's good for the raid boss and for slow moving, high health enemies you know you can get precision damage on reliably. It's not too good for PvP for that reason as people run around a lot.

Requiem

If you have any questions about the faction rally, let me know. It's not too tough to explain, but there are some finer details you might care to know.

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
I play on XBone too, although I haven't logged on much since I hit max light on two of my three characters. Req did a solid job explaining everything. Will probably get back on when the new DLC drops.

I'm pretty disappointed with sniper rifles right now since snipers and shotguns take up your heavy slot. It makes sense from a PvP perspective since they always had trouble balancing them in the first Destiny, but now your better off just taking a rocket launcher, sword, or linear fusion rifle.

Requiem

They really just need to add in a fourth ammo slot. They use the color system for the ammo, so we're missing a blue ammo brick.

Primary is white, common. Energy is green, uncommon. Special would be blue, rare. Power is purple, legendary.

Just slot snipers and shotguns into that ammo type/weapon slot, put special ammo in a specific crate like in D1 but only have it spawn once or twice during a match and boom, sniping comes back.

It'd be useful for PvE as well because sometimes you need a sniper and then immediately need a rocket the next second.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Been sleeping in an airbnb room near my work because shifts are all day and then you gotta sleep, but no doubt I'll have some questions over the weekend where I'll have a lovely damned three days off in a row.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Alright, Req, congrats (thanks) on having a big impact on which armor pieces I did and didn't keep around. The "mobility doesn't increase your sprint speed" was a soul-crushing piece of devastation for me at the time, having hoarded the fuck out of all the mobility-boosting gear I could get on the assumption that it'd make me zoom around like an ugly, slimy, yellow alien octopus compared to all these other kids, when all the buffs added up together. Now I'm actually faster than I was before, (because MIDA perks), but my hp bar zooms back up to comfortable fullness almost as quickly as those of all these other kids in Crucible, or at least so it appears from this end of the sights.

Speaking of MIDA, holy shit do I love this rifle. Good-bye, hand cannons; it was fun while it lasted, but the good Old Fashioned just simply can't compete with the combination of MIDA Multi-Tool (or even almost any other scout rifle, honestly), and goddamn Foetracer, the helmet that tracks enemies through walls after you've had them in your sights for about a fraction of a second or so. (Mini-Tool's okay, I can take it or leave it, but I keep it equipped for the speed buff.)

Got the ST0MP-EE5 leg armor; boosts sprint speed and slide distance, and "improves" jumping (can't say I've really noticed the latter). Shit I like using on PvE, though not worth giving up Foetracer for in PvP. Now, if I only had that sword again, the one that boosts running speed and slashes extra quick, that'd be a whole 'nother story...

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
You mean the META Multi-tool.
And for good reason. Dunno if it's much the same on console, but that high-caliber round thing is a real pain in the ass on PC. Even without it, damn thing would still be a very good rifle. Throw Foetracer in the mix. and mid/long range fights against you are just unreasonable for less than three people to have to deal with at a time.

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
And for good reason. Dunno if it's much the same on console, but that high-caliber round thing is a real pain in the ass on PC. Even without it, damn thing would still be a very good rifle. Throw Foetracer in the mix. and mid/long range fights against you are just unreasonable for less than three people to have to deal with at a time.
It's pretty much the go to weapon for PvP mid to log range with Uriel's gift for up close. I can imagine on PC with mouse and keyboard it's even more deadly than on console. At least everyone can get it after an easy series of quests and it isn't locked behind bad RNG. I'm still waiting for Skyburner's Oath to drop.

Requiem

Skyburner's is great. I actually got a two shot kill on someone the other day with two precision hits. I didn't think that was possible, let alone on the Skyburner's.

As for getting a Quickfang again, the only thing I can tell you is to either spam the gunsmith for as many packages as possible or just roll another hunter and best the campaign with them. It's really not as painful as it sounds, especially if you pop a fireteam medallion. You can beat the campaign in a single sitting, so long as you make sure to do each story mission as it becomes available to you at the minimum level required. Beating the campaign under level 20 will actually let you level all the way up to 20 without any problems. Once you get all of your rewards from all of the vendors (which includes a guaranteed fireteam medallion, an exotic engram, the sword for your class that Cayde gives you, and one or two other things I'm forgetting right now), with Zavala being the last vendor to get something from he immediately levels you all the way up to 20, so you skip about 5 levels of grinding. It's incredibly useful for getting a new character you want to keep into the endgame faster. It's also useful in case you're making a character just to get a piece of faction armor since they limit the amount of faction packages you can open... Had to do this twice just to get some pants for my Hunter and a bond for my Warlock.

Anywho, yeah, MIDA is pretty great. Other weapons I've come across that I really like:

Guiding Star from Dead Orbit. Great AR, only obtainable during faction rallies, might not be obtainable next season and all of the rallies are done for this season so, eh... Hopefully you can get it one day.

Perseverance is a great energy AR. Massive magazine size, high RPM, surprisingly stable and accurate.

Martyr's Make, also an energy AR. I used to groan every time I got this since it wasn't an AR archetype I actually liked during the campaign, but with more experience under my belt, I can see how wrong I was. Perseverance is good, but Martyr's Make is the Perseverance without the trademarked slipperiness of the Veist foundry weapons (at least the ARs and the SMGs. Other Veist weapon, like their linear fusion rifle, do massive single target burst damage, so they're not all slippery).

It's a Suros brand weapon and that definitely shows. It fires fast, it's very accurate, but has some recoil issues, nothing a mod or two can't fix. I now run it on all three of my characters.

BUT! I JUST REMEMBERED! Right now it's the Iron Banner. Go grind Iron Banner until you get the pulse rifle Time Worn Spire, Easy. You only have today and tomorrow to do it and I don't know when the Tuesday reset is for you, so you might not have as much time as you think.

TWS is god like. As a hunter, you can put on two kinetic/energy recoil mods (as in two of either or one of both). TWS with two kinetic recoil mods is heaven, you really will not be able to thank me enough for telling you about this. If the quality of the gun translates well to keyboard and mouse, it'll be even stronger in your hands than on my controller and I do pretty damn well with the gun when I'm actually in the zone. You won't regret putting in the time to get this gun.

You can also grind to get the armor, but RNG is a bitch, so... Eh, do that if you want to. IB armor isn't a bad set to have. I'm currently grinding to get all of the armor on my Titan as I have all of the pieces on my other classes, but I've opened 88 packages across this IB and the last one and I still don't have all of the armor. 15 pieces of armor total with about... 7 weapons? I think? I've opened more than enough packages to get everything I want, way too many hours, and yet I still am missing the helmet.

Once they fix the token system, I'll be happy.

Top Bottom