[Games] Ecalepafem General

W1LG3RtheCyan

The one sci-fi/fantasy roleplaying game to rule them all is experiencing its maximum rate of production this week.

Confirmed Features:
- At least 33 races
- 13 balanced classes
- 324 vehicles at launch (more to be added in story-based updates)
- Fluid combat system
- Offline mode that only prohibits access to features that can't possibly be done without an internet connection
- No pay to win business model
- Leviathan sized bosses
- Fully customizable weapons and armour
- Left and right handed characters
- A proper options menu
- Semi-accurate space travel
- Comprehensive tuning system
- 300 solar systems
- Dynamic job system
- Modular guild and faction bases
- Skill-based leveling system
- Wilgersoft seal of approval
- Available on Windows, Mac, and Linux

This thread will be updated over the course of the week with teasers and possibly even demos.

Last edited:

Shizno

At least 33 races
I really hope it's just 33 different shades of how white you can make your character.
13 balanced classes
Shit, do we have to pay more for the imbalanced ones?
No pay to win business model
That's a no to my last question then? Well, so long as I can spend money to make my characters wear a different hat, I'll be happy.
A proper options menu
Damn, and here I was looking forward to the terrible pause screen. Really, it's the only pleasure I get from video games.
Available on Windows, Mac, and Linux
So... it doesn't run on toasters? Shit, I guess I'll have to skip this one for now until it ports. Good luck with everything!

W1LG3RtheCyan

Sounds cool! Still remember that no matter how many races you put in a game, the core is the most important.
Very true. Races are fairly easy to add with the way that my code is set-up. That said, the vast span of the map does require quite a bit of diversity. I just need to figure out racial abilities and create two 3D models each. Right now I'm working on creating locations that are actually quite memorable, design-wise.

Requiem

I really hope it's just 33 different shades of how white you can make your character.

Shit, do we have to pay more for the imbalanced ones?

That's a no to my last question then? Well, so long as I can spend money to make my characters wear a different hat, I'll be happy.

Damn, and here I was looking forward to the terrible pause screen. Really, it's the only pleasure I get from video games.

So... it doesn't run on toasters? Shit, I guess I'll have to skip this one for now until it ports. Good luck with everything!
What a rule breaker and hunk of man.

W1LG3RtheCyan

I guess I should bring you guys up to speed on what I've been doing. It's nothing special, but rudimentary melee combat and saving are working beautifully.

Edit: Planets will be modeled on a small scale and scaled up. As this is the case, initial vertex density will be insane to compensate.

Last edited:

W1LG3RtheCyan

I don't like double posting very much, but this is an important contribution. I will write better descriptions tomorrow, when I am less tired.

Classes:

Bard:
A rogue who uses arcane magic, mostly pulling spells from the illusion school.
Typical setup:
Dagger
Light Armour
Rifle
Musical Instrument

Berserker:
A warrior who tries to hit first and keep his opponent off balance.
Typical setup:
Light - Medium Armour
One-Handed Melee Weapon x 2

Blood Mage:
A caster who uses Infernal magic, granted by a member of the demon council.
Typical setup:
Cultist Robes
Staff

Cleric:
A priest who heals their teammates and attacks with divine magic depending on their deity of choice.
Typical setup:
Light - Medium Shield
One-Handed Melee Weapon
Medium Armour

Druid:
A caster who uses the natural side of divine magic to control huge plants and fight alongside mighty animals.
Typical setup:
Druidic Robes
Staff

Monk:
A warrior who relies on talent above all else.
Typical setup:
Exotic Weapon
Monk's Robes

Paladin:
A holy warrior who uses divine magic to heal their friends and smite evil.
Typical setup:
Heavy Armour
Heavy Shield
Versatile Melee Weapon

Ranger:
A rogue who uses divine magic to call for aid from nature itself.
Typical setup:
Light Armour
Rifle
Finesse weapon setup

Scoundrel:
A rogue who keeps to the shadows and excels at ranged combat.
Typical setup:
Dagger
Light Armour
Rifle

Soldier:
A warrior who can swap between melee and ranged combat, and take a hit regardless.
Typical setup:
Heavy Armour
Heavy Shield
One-Handed Melee Weapon
Heavy Ranged Weapon

Sorcerer:
An arcane warrior who was born with magic running through their veins.
Typical setup:
Light - Medium Armour
Any Melee Setup

Thaumaturge:
A caster who combines magic and technology to fight with arcane constructs and repair vehicles.
Typical setup:
Thaumaturge's Clothes
Staff

Wizard:
A caster who studies arcane magic and draws power from all spell schools, although one is usually more refined than the rest.
Typical setup:
Wizard Robes
Staff

Last edited:

Requiem

I don't know if you know this, but the title of your game is an anagram for facepalm with extra e's added.

Just kidding, I know you know, I just wanted to reiterate that fact because what.

Requiem

I've been told that I'm being mean and unconstructive. I'll now be not-mean, and actually-constructive.

Like, I get that you're attached to the name and far be it from me to try and stop you from liking something, but at the end of the day, you're gonna need a title change. This game is a massive undertaking and if you accomplish what you want to accomplish with it and manage to actually do everything you want to do in terms of content, you're gonna actually have a commercially viable game project on your hands. Having a name that can be easily identified as being an anagram for the word facepalm is going to turn off customers before they even hear what your game can do. Even in a perfect world where you have no bugs, a true variety of classes and races, plenty of different vehicle types, regular story updates that aren't late, as well as plenty of other things that would make your game worth buying, that name would turn people away.

Speaking frankly, the name is stupid. The customer would think it's stupid. The gaming media would think it's silly at best. And that's even if the game is good. They might play it eventually, but most gamers just a book by its cover nowadays because they're drowning in content already.

Now, on the flip side, the name sticks out and could set your game apart from all of the others. I personally doubt that highly and would suggest you pick something that does the same thing as your current name, but isn't so stupid, but that's up to you obviously. Game names are a big deal nowadays. I just feel like you're shooting yourself in the foot with a lame name that, no matter how much it stands apart, still sounds and looks dumb. That's my non mean, constructive, but still wholly frank and honest two cents.

W1LG3RtheCyan

I know. Ecalepafem is the working project name. I've been considering possible final names for some time now, but I have yet to find a worthy contender. It's just a matter of getting a title that describes the game and does it justice, so I am sure that one will come to me in time.

Declined Titles:
Last World - Confusion issues
Parallel Worlds - Copyright issues
Dawn of an Era - Won't stick
End of an Era - Describing events months before the first player logs in
Valiance - Too much of a shameless plug
Vigilance - same
SpaceQuest - lame
Dwarven Space - Far too narrow
Orcs in Space - same
Redacted - spoiler issues
PastFinder - copyright issues