Election News Headquarters: Tirin/TC Interview and Community Update!

RECONmaster

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
That reminds me of "The Jungle" when they'd round up their immigrant workers and pay them to vote for their guy.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Time to go get a hold of @BigRandy69 to help me swing the vote.

I'm of the opinion that this election should be held by secret ballot (do we have the means to do this solely via forum?) on the condition that candidates are explicitly not allowed to vote for themselves and explicitly must cast a vote on somebody (maybe on penalty of "losing" a vote if they don't do one of these). That ensures a solid voter base without the obvious complications that come with having half of the forum in the running and, of course, voting for themselves in the election. Alternatively we could do ranked ballots - but in that case I think we'd need to have some neutral election official to count them up and post the results.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
I'd think that people should be locked out depending on either:
-some number of posts per year, or
-some number of posts in total
at the start of the election, to ensure that new accounts can't be made and people can't pull ancient accounts up from nowhere to get boatloads of votes.

Jeb

this no fun allowed mentality is exactly why i stopped posting in the first place

Ibix

>Member and friends for years
Not enough posts btw

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Like who? Who shouldn't be allowed to vote?
I don't like the idea of making a post requirement, since we have many treasured community members who, uh, mostly lurk (hi Jeb and Ibix).

Perhaps, anyone who's been inactive for more than a year is excluded, kind of a thing? Those stats are viewable from any user's profile.

Lumpy

I'd think that people should be locked out depending on either:
-some number of posts per year, or
-some number of posts in total
at the start of the election, to ensure that new accounts can't be made and people can't pull ancient accounts up from nowhere to get boatloads of votes.
Yeah, anyone less than 2500 posts should be locked out right?

I propose current Mayors can't propose election rules.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
I'm more concerned about inactive people who have never been part of the community at large and/or haven't been active for a very long time. An example being the person I tagged (a friend of mine who'd probably vote for me and never post again, if he even did for that), one of the dozen or so users who haven't posted in literal years, or duplicate accounts like Dunsparce's Xander.

Yeah, anyone less than 2500 posts should be locked out right?

I propose current Mayors can't propose election rules.
What, you think I'd keep TC in the vote if I could?

Requiem

I'm putting consideration on giving the mayor some official powers
No.

If you do that, it makes people who are part of the community, but somewhat/absolutely inactive feel like they can't randomly participate if they want to. The mayor thing is just a meme joke, let's not actually give it any form of power. We already have some mods/admins who can send you messages if they feel the need to do so. Making the mayor a "thing" would be a bad idea.

Plus, yeah, TC brought up a point that makes sense in response to you, Recon, saying the mayor role might have some power. Let's just keep this as stupid fun for the community, not some sort of "thing."

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Well we wouldn't want the forum election to get anyone active again...
I wouldn't want the glorious legitimacy of my thousandfive-year reign undermined by a massive influx of unregistered immigrants coming in to vote for me.

Requiem

And to say it, I appreciate the thought Recon, it's not a bad idea in theory, but when you make roles or positions with actual authority in some manner, you get things like TC saying some people should or shouldn't get to vote. While I understand why he posted that in response to you, it's just an unnecessary wrinkle in the fun of this nonsense.

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Recon bby you do what you want, but I as well would advise against giving the role of Mayor any actual power. Especially since we're still figuring out what the most fair voting system would be.

Aaacutally, @Tirin I have a request. Would you mind making a separate thread dedicated to the purpose of gathering community input on what the most fair election system would be, and what limitations if any should be implemented?

If we make an effort to get all our ideas in one place and agree not to shit on any ideas until they're all shared, I think we have the best possibility of determinging how to do this.

The Hound

Just Monika
I agree with TC and Tirin in regards to a minimum level of activity being required to vote. This is a forum mayoral election, it directly impacts the forum, so people who have seen little reason to participate here over the last year+ really aren't impacted by this change of the guard. Like I get it it's cool when people drop in but we know who's here day to day keeping this forum at least a moderately active environment and this should be an election for them, not the people who exist on the fringe of this circle.

That being said this is a perfect opportunity for those people to become more involved and perhaps bolster this forum during the election and hopefully beyond.

Top Bottom