Fallout 4

Requiem

This is a Fallout 4 thread. We didn't have one, so I'm making one, just so me and Andy don't spam the battlefront thread haha. Another post to be added.

Requiem

How do you feel about it? I got about 10-15 hours into it, loving it, and then I just hit this wall where I went: "I'm literally just playing Fallout 3." And so I stopped. Obviously that's not correct, but I felt like they abandoned so much progress that New Vegas made in how stories were told and how side quests were done. And as always, Bethesda games just lack scale. It's getting harder and harder to believe their worlds when the largest cities and so small and sparsely populated. I was keen enough to use my imagination before, but they just put no effort into hiding any of their faults and some scenes are just down right awkward. I will admit though that a certain Brotherhood introduction was awesome and unexpected.

Haha woops sorry Battlefront.
My thing is, I loved Fallout 3. I always did. New Vegas was an improvement, but it felt like more of Fallout 3 as well, but I didn't mind that. I don't mind it for Fallout 4 either for the same reason. Fallout 3 was just so good, but in need of some improvements. Both NV and F4 improved the areas where F3 was lacking. That's not to say they don't have their own issues or their own individual merits, but since they run on the same engine, they all have the same essence. It's the core feeling of these three games that I appreciate and enjoy even to this day. It's fascinating to me to see just how far a developer can take an old engine like the one they've used for most of their recent games. I appreciate and enjoy the experience because of all of those things.

That said, I love "creation" games such as these. Fallout, the Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Alpha Protocol, etc. They're all so fascinating and interesting to me that I think I give them more leeway than most people would in regards to their shortcomings.

Fallout 4 in particular has its issues, but I can respect it as something showing us that Bethesda is attempting to go bigger. They haven't ever really had the best combat in their games, but they're improving as a company. Unfortunately, we can easily see that they focus on certain areas while dropping others to an extent. The story isn't as compelling as it could be.

Game play wise, it is more of the same, so I think it eventually just comes to how much you yourself like the way the game plays. The added settlement game play was also well appreciated by me because it's so damn enjoyable. Some people wouldn't like it, but I loved learning what it could and couldn't do and how I could break the system to my benefit. Also, the game is built for you to make specific character builds, but that means experimenting over the course of multiple playthroughs. The game also reinforces multiple play through because the main story is relatively short and there's multiple factions.

That said, NV did do a better job than F3 or even F4, but that's because it was made by Obsidian. That developer has just as many problems with bugs as Bethesda does, maybe even more than they do, but they know how to create a compelling story. Alpha Protocol was seen as a complete failure of a game, but it's honestly one of my person favorites and it actually functions extremely well once you understand it. The game doesn't really help you out on the first play through, so it feels janky and messy.

NV in particular though, it just works. It's entertaining, its story is focused, the characters are interesting, the whole story works with itself. The world is also interesting and fun.

There's a lot of lessons for Bethesda to learn from Obsidian. F4 didn't really scare me off, but it didn't leave me fully excited either. I'm hopeful in regards to fallout 5, however. I think this will be the wake up call to the developer for them to make a new engine and then take into account the problems and the areas they need to improve. Right now, I'm content to keep playing more F3, whether it's in the form of F3, NV, or F4.

AndyM03

Some top quality shit
Yeah pretty much spot on, it's just i've taken those issues a bit more to heart. Maybe i'm just spoilt 'cause I went straight from the Witcher III, Which love or hate it's combat (I quite like it), the game is just so rich that it deserves every game of the year it's received. Fallout 4, well, more like Copout 420, amiright? AHAHAHAHAweimnweoinrf30454ri45r3w45r4.
just call me Thunderclaw.

(Nah but the combat is pretty great, AND THE GHOULS WERE TOP NOTCH)
I guess it's just feels like that they decided to make it a combat game instead of a story role playing game.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I also pretty much just came in here just to point out how excellent The Witcher III is.

Requiem

Haven't been able to get into the Witcher games for some reason. They're right up my alley, but they just haven't drawn me in. Everything I've seen suggests they're absolutely great though, so that's gotta count.

I'm okay with Bethesda experimenting and trying to perfect their system if we still have companies like CDProjektRed kicking ass at the same time.

AndyM03

Haven't been able to get into the Witcher games for some reason. They're right up my alley, but they just haven't drawn me in. Everything I've seen suggests they're absolutely great though, so that's gotta count.

I'm okay with Bethesda experimenting and trying to perfect their system if we still have companies like CDProjektRed kicking ass at the same time.
I was the same with the Witcher II if that's the one you had trouble getting in to. Let me tell you, it took me three times to play that game, always loving the intro then getting into some shit forest place which I didn't enjoy, but it got damn good after that.

The Witcher III on the other hand is just hands down perfect from start to finish (not that i've finished but I've gotta be close...)

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Yeah, that forest hole was... meh.

Also, Heart of Stone in TW3 was pretty decent. Getting impatient with that second expansion, though.

RECONmaster

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Hey is this a Witcher III thread!? I love and hate the combat in the game. I love having a active thinking role in combat as compared to Skyrim where I can just slash and hack away until everything is dead.

Oh yeah... Fallout 4 was pretty damn enjoyable for me but I randomly and suddenly got bored and dropped it. Haven't touched it since. Somehow the Witcher keeps me coming back in a way F4 can't.

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
I had a lot of fun with Fallout 4, I was borderline addicted to it for a while. I forced myself to beat the main quest line so I could finally put it down and go back to being a productive member of society. I haven't picked it back up since though.

I never felt NV was ever as immersive as 3, but I did like the additions of the crafting system and factions.

For story telling in Bethesda games I think they peaked at Morrowind.

I finally bought all the Witcher games on the last Steam sale. I look forward to eventually playing them. It just felt wrong jumping into 3 without playing the first two.

Requiem

I mean, people are still playing the Witcher, so this thread is still relevant! Kekekekekek

But anyways, buy the season pass now before March 1st and you get all of the dlc for half of what it's worth. The price is also increasing on March 1st to about 50 bucks, so that's no good.

Top Bottom