Feels Thread

Requiem

You've got the full force and might of an army of love at your side. With us, how can you lose!?

JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE!?

Milamber

Donor III
I've just started a new job, the team seems to be a decent bunch and it appears to be a pretty secure/rewarding job. However, I can't seem to shake this sense of uneasiness or insecurity about the whole thing. It's only been a week and I'm still undergoing training but I feel a bit out of place or in some situations completely out my depth. In my previous job, within a week I was confident and could do my job pretty well but this new position is more complex and I'm very unsure of myself.

This is bumming me out, considering I'm in a better position than I was previously. I'm struggling to make the most of my free time or pursue stuff I want to because I'm freaking that I may not make it through the probation period.

Feelings are a complex business.

Requiem

You've always struck me as a fairly capable lad, Milamber, so I wouldn't worry overall. It may seem tough now, but I think that over time, the feelings you're having will subside and you'll be more than able to do the job. Instead of comparing this job to your last job, focus just on where you're at now. It's gonna take getting used to, but you can definitely do it.

Milamber

Donor III
You've always struck me as a fairly capable lad, Milamber, so I wouldn't worry overall. It may seem tough now, but I think that over time, the feelings you're having will subside and you'll be more than able to do the job. Instead of comparing this job to your last job, focus just on where you're at now. It's gonna take getting used to, but you can definitely do it.
Thank's Req. I think why I'm struggling so much is because all the tasks are quite ambiguous in nature and that's unsettling to me in a work environment. I'm going to have to make a concerted effort to separate work and home to keep myself sane.

Requiem

It'll definitely be a trial, but I think you can do it. If it's ambiguous, they might be giving you some leeway to exercise freedom, but that might just be me. Maybe try framing it like that and see how it goes?

Milamber

Donor III
It'll definitely be a trial, but I think you can do it. If it's ambiguous, they might be giving you some leeway to exercise freedom, but that might just be me. Maybe try framing it like that and see how it goes?
I'll take it a day at a time and see how it goes.

Whitetiger

I just got turned down for a programming job that I thought I had in the bag because of how well I did on the phone interview. Feels bad because I need the money to visit my long distance girlfriend so now I'm gonna start applying like crazy to any tech places in the region (Northeast US).

Milamber

Donor III
Job applications and interviews are a fickle business. If you can align or tailor your resume and cover letter for every application you've won half the battle. For phone or face to face interviews try looking at the STAR method and examine the companies values. Now go get them Tiger!

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Online job applications is a special kind of hell.
Speaking of which, I just watched a documentary following a family of Syrian refugees over the course of years, and I am heavily emotionally compromised about that crisis in particular now.

Firedemon

I fuckin' hate job hunting, and I'm gonna have to start doing it again real, real soon.
Same. I scored a temporary position in the lab I worked in for two years as an undergrad, but I'm only staying until August.

So yeah, if anyone knows anyone looking for an analytical chemist with three years mass spec experience, hit me up.

"Must have three years experience with LC-MS/MS"
"Is three years experience with super static regime ToF-SIMS good enough?"
"What the fuck is that?"
*Hopelessness intensifies*

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Meaning no offense FD, but if I found one of those just open for the taking then I'd take first-dibs on it.

Milamber

Donor III
I fuckin' hate job hunting, and I'm gonna have to start doing it again real, real soon.
It's a hateful thing to be sure. I would advise limiting the scope of your job hunt if you want to keep your sanity. Focus your efforts on one job searching platform and browse companies that match your career choices. Even if it's for a company that isn't immediately recognized. I found its better to apply for five jobs a week with a tailored resume than mass applications.

Same. I scored a temporary position in the lab I worked in for two years as an undergrad, but I'm only staying until August.

So yeah, if anyone knows anyone looking for an analytical chemist with three years mass spec experience, hit me up.

"Must have three years experience with LC-MS/MS"
"Is three years experience with super static regime ToF-SIMS good enough?"
"What the fuck is that?"
*Hopelessness intensifies*
FD try looking at your temporary job overall and record the detail of each task you do. If you can highlight these experiences and cross-reference them with similar companies you'll find it easier to construct your resume. Additionally, you may find it easier to look for similar positions by looking at the common skills and experiences from your last role.

I almost didn't roll a Jeanne Alter in the F/GO event a few days ago and it was the worst thing that's happened to me in like a year.

Oh and my Grandpa died like two weeks ago.

... But no seriously, I actually did get a Jeanne Alter, it just took a long time.
I hope your ok Kratour and you don't have to go through that alone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom