Forumer Chat Thread

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Triple sec's almost always at 15%, or 30 proof - especially if it's in a bar, where they're following drink recipes that have this convention in mind. So you're probably sitting on a solid 100% margin of error in your last calculation, but that's not even the issue. The real issue is...

Damn, hoser. You wasted AF. Don't you have a math degree or some shit already?
I manually wrote in the 30 hours for the time elapsed, you gavone, and the site doesn't update the "The time is now" to correct for that. Man, muhfugga, how 'bout you know how this shit works before flapping your mouth, so I don't have to waste my time explaining?

As for the triple sec, I know for a fact it was 70 proof on account of being familiar with the brand and seein' the bottle, but I was on death's door at the time I posted and so not concerned about complete precision. I'm still hung over from what I did to myself.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Between the alcohol content and the dehydration, I'd say it's at least a solid 4%. Either way, with light beer you get what you pay for, and I've heard "tastes like piss" a few times too many.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I manually wrote in the 30 hours for the time elapsed, you gavone, and the site doesn't update the "The time is now" to correct for that. Man, muhfugga, how 'bout you know how this shit works before flapping your mouth, so I don't have to waste my time explaining?
Hah! A nice try, but that would imply that you bothered to enter a starting time, yet put in the time elapsed yourself rather than just following up with the current time, which any even remotely cogent man would have immediately recognized as a waste of time and to be avoided. Only the very drunkest of drunks would go through such a process.
As for the triple sec, I know for a fact it was 70 proof on account of being familiar with the brand and seein' the bottle, but I was on death's door at the time I posted and so not concerned about complete precision. I'm still hung over from what I did to myself.
Well, yeah. Anyone who equates a coupe of Long Islands with 'literally a beer glass full of hard liquor, no ice' is pretty obviously not very concerned about complete precision. Anyway, stop drinking yourself into states of internal bleeding, you fuckin' jamoke.

Last edited:

The Hound

Just Monika
I would argue that your internal bleeding shows you're weak just as someone who gets alcohol poisoning isn't a champion drinking either. Get gud.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Hah! A nice try, but that would imply that you bothered to enter a starting time, yet put in the time elapsed yourself rather than just following up with the current time, which any even remotely cogent man would have immediately recognized as a waste of time and to be avoided. Only the very drunkest of drunks would go through such a process.
1 AM is the default time, and I decided to manually put in the elapsed time after realizing that putting any current time wouldn't matter when I'd been drinking for >24 hours on account of it, y'know, being a twenty-four-hour clock. Having known the real start and end time of my drinking, I just did it in my head instead. Pretty rough that I can grasp that drunk and half-dead, and you can't manage it sober after two days of reflection.

Well, yeah. Anyone who equates a coupe of Long Islands with 'literally a beer glass full of hard liquor, no ice' is pretty obviously not very concerned about complete precision. Anyway, stop drinking yourself into states of internal bleeding, you fuckin' jamoke.
If you don't drink your Long Islands hard as fuck, you aren't drinking them right. That said, gonna try not to bleed myself out any more.

I would argue that your internal bleeding shows you're weak just as someone who gets alcohol poisoning isn't a champion drinking either. Get gud.
Try outdoing me, old man. If anything it demonstrates that I have such alcohol tolerance that my stomach will start wearing out before my liver does; I didn't get sick in the "I'm trashed and can't hold onto my memories or consciousness" sense, but from the truly excruciating pain and massive amount of blood filling my stomach.

The Hound

Just Monika
I would also argue I've never seen anyone under 40 drinking long island iced teas also they're pretty much always women, so did yours come with tampons? Which would have been perfect for the bleeding.

You're right though you've definitely got me beat, my heavy drinking days are well behind me. But I'll Snoop Dogg your ass if you want try me with something of the herb variety.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
I would also argue I've never seen anyone under 40 drinking long island iced teas also they're pretty much always women, so did yours come with tampons? Which would have been perfect for the bleeding.
Oh damn.

(But really though, Long Island Iced Teas are typically pretty good and they're also pretty cheap at most bars and on specials. Most of us younger folk try to drink with our wallet in mind.)

Anyway, stop drinking yourself into states of internal bleeding, you fuckin' jamoke.
This is pretty accurate though. You should really stop binge drinking so heavily, mate. I know crippling alcoholism is a bit of a popular concept in the past decade, but you'll regret it later on.

AndyM03

So Microsoft announced their new Surface Pro today/yesterday, and still no USB-C.
No USB-C on their Surface laptop either.
It's 2017 god damn.
Big fan of the Surface Pro 4 which I currently own, but I think the Surface Book is the best Laptop/Tablet combo atm.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I went back through this thread in a hunch, feeling that I'd been putting off some opportunity to point out top-tier irony for several days by now.
Since at present I have nothing to fucking do for the summer, I think I'm gonna dedicate my time predominantly to fitness and general self-improvement. Should be good for me.
I have drank like an utter fucking degenerate in the last few days and I have started to bleed internally as a direct result of my choices.
Time well-spent, on this impromptu off-day of mine.

Also, I wanna take time to respond to other things that I first didn't have time for, and then forgot about, before.

Honestly, yeah. I'm cool with the duo of a Sorcerer and Bard. Scheduling is easier and I know that the other characters are going to be absolutely terrible to try to incorporate with the current story.
Hard to argue with that, given the impressive degree of creativity used to get Shizno's character in there (only to have him ditch us like two sessions later, the ungrateful bastard). And of course, working Joe's character in was no picnic either. (Not that we handled that terribly well as players, though in our defense, we really were trying to not be a pain in the ass about it.)

Feels like kind of a shame to drop Lander from the crew, now that we've just managed to more or less work out all the kinks there and set up a path to potential full-partner status for him - no mean feat, given the nature of the campaign and characters we have to work with. Joe seemed like he wasn't really having fun, though, so I can't blame him if he's inclined to bail; at least he tried, unlike that bastard Shizno. Fortunately, dropping party members from Enmity is historically pretty easy to manage.

That's dope as hell, man. I've been more along the lines of wanting to run a borderline psychotic noble paladin of Conquest. Farmer groveling at his feet? His soldiers get scared, thinking that he's going to kill the farmer. He glances down and tells the farmer that he and his family may live. One of his men try to pat his back, thinking that there's a chink in that cold heart of his and playfully tease him. Immediate backhand and potentially slaughtering the man on the spot for even touching him. The rationale? The farmer was groveling and knew his place while the soldier tried to see him as an equal.
But Riyant bby, that's not true Conquest. To defeat, but not destroy! To subjugate, but not humiliate! That is the soul of Conquest!

My Galaxy S6 finally updated to Nougat thank christ.
Hey, mine too!

Also, Walrus's trial. If you have a preference regarding which of the next few days on which to reconvene, it'd be advisable to declare it sooner rather than later, at this point.

1 AM is the default time, and I decided to manually put in the elapsed time after realizing that putting any current time wouldn't matter when I'd been drinking for >24 hours on account of it, y'know, being a twenty-four-hour clock. Having known the real start and end time of my drinking, I just did it in my head instead. Pretty rough that I can grasp that drunk and half-dead, and you can't manage it sober after two days of reflection.
Default time, huh? Kinda weird that you bothered to change the end time to 12 AM, then, but okay.

Tirin for Hardest Working Liver 2017
Meh. It's like the kid in class that just dicks around most of the time, and then tries super hard to cram all his work in at the last minute, making him only intermittently the hardest-working student of the bunch. Didn't even work hard enough in the end to keep him from exceeding his tolerance level so greatly as to end up half-dead, in this case.

Anyway, speaking of life and work and such.
I'd always planned to take a year or two off from studying, after graduation, before going on to grab a Master's and further. Thing is, I've got no intention of continuing to just wait tables in the meantime - not that the pay is generally worse, really, but grad school applications noting that that's all I did between then and graduation would probably tend to raise some eyebrows.

But man, job hunting sucks. Seriously, it's really, really boring, tedious shit. Sure, I could end it all in one step by taking up the US military on any one of the bajillion offers they've been sending me ever since I did JROTC in fuckin' high school, but no. Signing up to a career in living your life according to how some dudes tell you how to live your life is about the least Free Rollin' thing a man can do, and they're all about that.

Which is not to disparage anyone who does choose to enlist, in pursuit of furthering the ideals and values that matter to them. My own set of moral ideals and personal values are not well-aligned with current (or recent) US military policy, though, so I'd just feel like a sellout bitch if I tried it. Instead, I'm more like a snobbish waiter who's done more Dark Souls 3 than job hunting in the three weeks since graduation, if I'm being honest - but at least I am being honest.

...speaking of being honest,
I don't even really enjoy Dark Souls gaming very much. Never have, although DS2 was definitely a low point.

It's not that it's hard; it is hard, but that's not why I don't enjoy it very much. I Wanna Be The Guy: The Movie The Game was harder, and I somehow had more average fun per hour beating that, than I had beating Dark Souls. (Let alone Dark Souls 2, which was less difficult and also literally just boring to play.) It is partially because they deliberately refrain from explaining anything beyond the absolute basics of various combat and gameplay mechanics, because having to look those up is annoying. But overall, the point I'm getting at is that I really don't have all that many specific complaints about the games, up to where I am - Farron's Keep - in DS3.

I just don't have a lot of things to praise about them, either.

Combat? It's really not bad, but DS3's weapon art is the closest thing they've had, so far, for making me feel like I could have fun experimenting with a bunch of different builds and fighting styles. Yeah, you can make some vastly different characters in terms of stats, spells, and armament - but, at least as far as DS 1 & 2 are concerned, you're gonna end up spending over 90% of your fighting time on watching warily for the right time to mash B and roll, again and again, until the time comes when you can reposition yourself and throw out a spell/item/melee attack (with maybe some nice parrying worked in there, if you're using a shield or other parrying device, and aren't scrub enough to need it just for stamina-gouging damage absorption).

Granted, that's the point; precisely timing a bunch of strikes and rolls is the heart of Dark Souls combat, as it's meant to be, and to claim that there's no real difference in fighting styles between one build and another is an exaggeration. There's a pretty clear and noticeable amount of variation; just not to the extent that it feels like a very different combat experience, as far as I've seen, from one build to another.

(Except in DS3, which I'm actually quite pleased with. Because weapon arts.)

PvP? Actually, I like it. I like getting challenged by invaders from time to time, even when it looks like the gear they're carrying implies that matchmaking is really screwing me on the selection. Being able to summon a helpful volunteer for particularly tough encounters is nice, too. The PvP/co-op mechanic was one thing I really liked about DS1. Nobody was ever even playing DS2 when I did, so no wonder that whole game bored me. DS3...

Man, I fricken' love this about DS3. Invaders are not happy with my troll ass noob bullshit ultralight gear/two-handing-a-regular-sharp-dagger; nobody ever expects to end up fighting against something that stupid, so it works out really well for me. Friendly phantoms are also not happy with it; nobody ever expects to end up having to carry such a useless asshole through almost any given boss fight. I'm having fun! PvE is a bit of a trudge at times, but WHATEVA - GRIND, BITCH, IT'S AN RPG.

Story? Alright, here's where I take serious issue:

It's not that good.

It is pretty good, yes. The presentation (or lack of thereof) is very stylish. It fits the theme of the series very well.

...but damn, if I had a quarter for every time someone's told me it was an amazing story - top tier, one of their favorites, etc. - I could... at least buy a snack, or something. And that's too many times. Yeah, I get it: you not only beat Dark Souls, but payed attention and noticed all the plot drops, while you were at it. (Nice! Me too!)

It was a cool bonus for us, right? Pretty interesting stuff, actually. But, hey now... let's not get carried away here. This shit ain't no Witcher, or even a Mass Effect. Hell, it might not even be a Dragon Age: Inquisition. Okay, that last part might be a bit unfair... well, whatever. Get off the Dark Souls dick, nerds, get off.

Also, the games are buggier than I expect my big-title, hella-dev-time-hella-budget games to be. And don't even get me started on the settings menu, no borderless window mode and a 60fps cap with not even fancy graphics or anything what is this 2010 or somethin smh.

Anyway, I'm done here.
tl;dr: Dark Souls good, but not that good, imo.

Last edited:

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
I went back through this thread in a hunch, feeling that I'd been putting off some opportunity to point out top-tier irony for several days by now.

Despite all of that I'm still healthier than I was at the start of the summer. Hard work pays off!

Also, Walrus's trial. If you have a preference regarding which of the next few days on which to reconvene, it'd be advisable to declare it sooner rather than later, at this point.
Ready whenever, Your Honor. Should I post as much in the thread?

Default time, huh? Kinda weird that you bothered to change the end time to 12 AM, then, but okay.
It took a minute to realize that I couldn't get 30 hours on a 24-hour clock, but at least I had the excuse of being drunk and suffering.

Meh. It's like the kid in class that just dicks around most of the time, and then tries super hard to cram all his work in at the last minute, making him only intermittently the hardest-working student of the bunch. Didn't even work hard enough in the end to keep him from exceeding his tolerance level so greatly as to end up half-dead, in this case.
I'm gonna be honest, I'm pretty sure it was the amount of cola that did it, rather than the liquor. I had some lime rickeys last night against the advice of my mother, and it didn't hurt in the slightest - though, admittedly, I didn't get particularly drunk.

I'd always planned to take a year or two off from studying, after graduation, before going on to grab a Master's and further. Thing is, I've got not intention of continuing to just wait tables in the meantime - not that the pay is generally worse, really, but grad school applications noting that that's all I did between then and graduation would probably tend to raise some eyebrows.

But man, job hunting sucks. Seriously, it's really, really boring, tedious shit.Sure, I could end it all in one step by taking up the US military on any one of the bajillion offers they've been sending me ever since I did JROTC in fuckin' high school, but no. Signing up to a career in living your life according to how some dudes tell you how to live your life is about the least Free Rollin' thing a man can do, and they're all about that.

Which is not to disparage anyone who does choose to enlist, in pursuit of furthering the ideals and values that matter to them. My own set of moral ideals and personal values are not well-aligned with current (or recent) US military policy, though, so I'd just feel like a sellout bitch if I tried it. Instead, I'm more like a snobbish waiter who's done more Dark Souls 3 than job hunting in the three weeks since graduation, if I'm being honest - but at least I am being honest.

I feel pretty fortunate to live in Canada, since my second option - that is, the backup for if my potential supervisor doesn't get funding, and thus I don't get placed - is joining the military for a few years, on account of thinking there's some valuable life skills and experience I could gain. I'm with you on American military policy, but I'm of the opinion that ours is pretty good. That's not to say that I'm a big fan of being told what to do, but I'm a pretty big fan of figuring out the best way to do what I'm "supposed" to do, and as far as I'm concerned saving lives is a pretty good thing to be doin'.

Job hunting is balls, and also totally fucking pointless for me. The town I live in is small and has a shit economy with no room for graduates in physics (and little for graduates in math). I love it here... but I can't stay here without getting stuck in a shitty, probably-deadend job that'll force me to keep living at home or basically spend everything I make. I can either go to grad school, join the military, or move somewhere else and hope it works out - and that's the rundown of all I'm looking at, in order of preference. I'll have shit figured out further by June, but right now it's mostly a miserable waiting game.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Ready whenever, Your Honor. Should I post as much in the thread?
Allowed. Encouraged. By no means required.
It took a minute to realize that I couldn't get 30 hours on a 24-hour clock, but at least I had the excuse of being drunk and suffering.
Naturally. You were pretty fuckin' drunk, after all - which was my whole entire point. Not that I wouldn't be pulling exactly that kind of shit or worse, after downing that much liquor in a sitting.
I feel pretty fortunate to live in Canada, since my second option - that is, the backup for if my potential supervisor doesn't get funding, and thus I don't get placed - is joining the military for a few years, on account of thinking there's some valuable life skills and experience I could gain. I'm with you on American military policy, but I'm of the opinion that ours is pretty good. That's not to say that I'm a big fan of being told what to do, but I'm a pretty big fan of figuring out the best way to do what I'm "supposed" to do, and as far as I'm concerned saving lives is a pretty good thing to be doin'.

Job hunting is balls, and also totally fucking pointless for me. The town I live in is small and has a shit economy with no room for graduates in physics (and little for graduates in math). I love it here... but I can't stay here without getting stuck in a shitty, probably-deadend job that'll force me to keep living at home or basically spend everything I make. I can either go to grad school, join the military, or move somewhere else and hope it works out - and that's the rundown of all I'm looking at, in order of preference. I'll have shit figured out further by June, but right now it's mostly a miserable waiting game.
I fuckin' hate the town I'm in, so that alone could make our situations fundamentally different, but... what about doing what I'm doing (or at least intermittently trying to do)? Specifically, look for some temp work, out of town or otherwise, that you can hold down for another while or two until you find a grad school program that you're actually interested in.(?) You've at least got options across Canada in that regard, and shouldn't have much trouble getting papers to work in America if it comes to that. I might just be making a hasty call here, but from the sound of it, as much as you love your hometown it seems like there's... not really a future for you there, one way or another?

Oh damn.

(But really though, Long Island Iced Teas are typically pretty good and they're also pretty cheap at most bars and on specials. Most of us younger folk try to drink with our wallet in mind.)
Ah, right. Last thing I was gonna say: I order Long Islands quite frequently when I'm out, which is also pretty frequently. This is largely due to having a regular place with a friendly bartender, who knows everyone in my regular crew and sneaks an obscene amount of extra liquor into said Long Islands for us. Even if that weren't the case, though, it's just a great drink for getting value-for-money at bars/clubs/taverns/whatever. Substantially more alcohol per dollar than just getting foul, horrible, offensive rounds of well shots, in fact, and with a lot less foulness and sensory offense if you're also self-confident enough to not care what kinda great jokes the guy with the $7 IPA makes about it.

Last edited:

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
All this talk about alcohol makes me curious what it's actually like drinking, but I've heard some people say it's nothing special, so I'm not in a hurry to find out. Still, you must have a tough liver Tirin.

I'm going to a convention in a couple days. Going to try cosplaying for the first time. Also, over the past month I've been thinking about reworking my sheet and ideas for a certain rp. After looking back on it I now realize what a mess it was, and I've decided to rework it during the spare time I'll have after exams. I've been hesitant to mention this because of my track record with rps. Although, now that I think about it, I've been pretty good at posting in forum rps excluding that specific one.

Exams are coming up soon for me, so that'll probably keep me busy for the next few weeks. So what have you folks been up to?

The Hound

Just Monika
Long Island iced teas are good, I was just giving Tirin some shit. Though they are usually considered oldish lady drinks, in fact there's an episode of the Simpsons where Marge gets wasted on them. I can't really talk though about old people drinks because my go to is Gin and tonics and I don't know many people under 60 who even like gin (although apparently there's a hipster scene for gin bars but I've yet to check that out).

Steal Thy Kill

My alcohol tastes come down to beer (I like stouts and wheats, then of course pilsners. Then, at a bar, something on the specials board), and then liquor that tastes good enough that I can down it like water. Recently discovered Rumchata, so may be experimenting with that. It's good for drinking straight (the percent is only a bit stronger than the average wine), and also a great mixer (more or less it's intended purpose but whatever).

Also, my go-to shot is a Brain Hemorrhage. Peach Schnapps, mix in some grenadine, and then top it with a squirt of Bailey's. It's fucking delicious. Highly recommend.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
I was going to bring that up, but decided against it.

Hard to argue with that, given the impressive degree of creativity used to get Shizno's character in there (only to have him ditch us like two sessions later, the ungrateful bastard). And of course, working Joe's character in was no picnic either. (Not that we handled that terribly well as players, though in our defense, we really were trying to not be a pain in the ass about it.)
Feels like kind of a shame to drop Lander from the crew, now that we've just managed to more or less work out all the kinks there and set up a path to potential full-partner status for him - no mean feat, given the nature of the campaign and characters we have to work with. Joe seemed like he wasn't really having fun, though, so I can't blame him if he's inclined to bail; at least he tried, unlike that bastard Shizno. Fortunately, dropping party members from Enmity is historically pretty easy to manage.
Yeah, it's not too bad. If I picked up Enmity again, it would be a time skip.

But Riyant bby, that's not true Conquest. To defeat, but not destroy! To subjugate, but not humiliate! That is the soul of Conquest!
That's true, but in the same vein, I need him to start flawed.

All this talk about alcohol makes me curious what it's actually like drinking, but I've heard some people say it's nothing special, so I'm not in a hurry to find out. Still, you must have a tough liver Tirin.
It depends. Some people are happy drunks, some are flirty, some are creepy, some are sad, some are sleepy. It depends on the roll of the dice on what drunk you are. Some days I'd get drunk and question my career and life choices from minor to greater. Some days, I'd get drunk and go through a whiplash of emotions (typically Happy/Angry). It's worth doing, but I've just cut out drinking entirely from my life. I'm torn between whether I want to get wasted at an Anime Convention in two weeks or not.

I'm going to a convention in a couple days. Going to try cosplaying for the first time.
Nice! Have fun. It's an interesting place. Most cons that I go to are just large cliques of friends and the people that are lonely go to cosplay meet ups or something along those lines. I go to hang out with friends, geek out and just escape.

I can't really talk though about old people drinks because my go to is Gin and tonics and I don't know many people under 60 who even like gin (although apparently there's a hipster scene for gin bars but I've yet to check that out).
Jeeze, really? Gin and Tonics are typically the go-to hipster drink, mate. I used to drink them when I wanted to put on a fanciful air. The tonic water bothered me and I always felt bloated, so I skipped on them. I do love gin though. It's a good drink, but typically was cheaper and I defaulted to picking up Rum for parties so I could share.

@Easy

The thing that a lot of people love about the Dark Souls series is the fact that the story isn't spoon fed to you. I enjoyed Dark Souls 1 since it was a sharp game and the world was incredibly connected. Picking up pieces of armor or weapons was fascinating since each piece expanded the world.

Dark Souls 3 is pretty notorious for its good boss fights and music. Honestly, I like Dark Souls, but it's bland compared to the story of Bloodborne, which was just sharper and faster.

Also, the games are buggier than I expect my big-title, hella-dev-time-hella-budget games to be. And don't even get me started on the settings menu, no borderless window mode and a 60fps cap with not even fancy graphics or anything what is this 2010 or somethin smh.
Also I'm assuming you're playing on the PC. Usually, I expect a poor port to them. I've played it on my Ps4 and it felt incredibly smooth and engaging for me.

Also, I guess if we're doing this?

I'm currently working locally at a TD bank and I'm living with my parents. I probably should have done an internship, but in retrospect, I don't think Public Relations is something that I ever actually wanted to do. I probably wanted to work more in marketing. I loved the class and the teachers, but it's all centered in New York and I've heard about the meat grinder-esque firms, which isn't something I'd think I'd enjoy.

So I'm working at a TD Bank as a part-time teller five minutes away. Because I'm graduated, I typically get around 30-37 hours and they know that I'm consistent. I get paid well and I have benefits even though I'm part-time. For now, I'm just keeping my head down when drama rolls around and trying to keep customers/coworkers happy. I've managed to maneuver myself well where I'm seen as a down to earth guy who is smart and kind, but has a bit of a charisma to him. My only downside is that I detest selling credit cards and shit to people that don't need it. I have my supervisors encouraging me to do it and I'll put on an air for them, but I haven't put any sales revenue in. On top of that, the system is broken that when I do actually put it in; I haven't gotten credit.

For now, my goal is to try to grab a rung on the ladder at a TD Bank Headquarters which is 30-40 minute drive from where I live. If I can get a full-time, well paying job, then I can just quickly save up money and pay off my loans. I don't really travel and I don't particularly splurge money on things, aside from going to two conventions: One in two weeks and one in August. I picked up a leather runic d20 dice bag and some metal dice as a birthday gift to myself that maybe total'd around $100. That was another "Splurge." I feel stuck in a bit of a lull where I want to go out and "make" something out of myself, but I'm mostly trying to pay off loans first, so I don't fall hard and spiral into an insane amount of debt.

I'm luckily blessed with my friend group still being insanely close after high school. Every Sunday, my friend hosts us for D&D and Board Game Night. I've been working out with a friend on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. We have multiple chat groups pertaining to hobbies and interests that we spam and chat up. It's just terrifying to me, knowing that one day that we'll probably split apart.

In no particular order:

Overwatch - I'm actually getting really tired of Overwatch. I enjoyed it at first, but I can't really get into it anymore. I don't know if I just can't get into first person shooters anymore, but most of the time, I just roll up a support and do my job, while the team makes terrible plays.

Heroes of the Storm 2.0 - I picked it back up due to the Overwatch event. It was actually really good. I have no complaints about it and the new system makes it really fun to play characters and they added loot crates. Cosmetic items became immediately available, so I really like that.

Nier Automata: Feels like a stroke of brilliance to me. People may be overhyping it, but it's one of those deeply thematic and rich games. There's so much devil in the details and there's lots of analysis on it. The theme of the game being "Existentialism" with the gameplay of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance or Bayonetta. I didn't find myself fawning over the weapons even though they had cryptic stories on them. I played through and beat all 5 endings and it had some of the smoothest transitions for some scenes while it went way off the rails at the third play through. Yoko Taro is an eccentric writer akin to Kojima, but way more loony. The music for the game was absolutely gorgeous too.

Probably one of my favorite games of the year. I wish my friend would beat it, so he could return it and I could play it again.

Persona 5: I've been waiting years for it and it felt so good to play. I absolutely loved the cast, the music and the themes. Sadly, I felt like the boss fights tapered out after how good of a set up the first one was with some of the dungeons being an absolute grind to get through. Devil Negotiation coming back felt great though and the social links were fantastic. The romances were even better. I never thought I'd get to romance the cute christmas cake teacher, the christmas cake gothic doctor or the christmas cake fortune teller from the boonies.

Overall, while some of the dungeons were boring and the puzzles felt uninspired at times, it was a great game. I fucking love the Persona series for the school life simulator and how it rewards its players for solving the issues of the supporting cast. While the series ending wasn't as tragic as 3 or as saddening as 4, it left off on a hopeful note and it's the first ending that felt great.

The entire motif of the game is "freedom" and while it has a commentary on Japanese culture of issues with its own society, I feel like some of the messages can ring true to a western audience.

Between Nier Automata and Persona 5, I'm really torn up over what my game of the year is.

Top Bottom