Forumer Chat Thread

Requiem

Well holy fucking shit, this is extremely sad, mostly because of how he words everything. He sounds like he's truly giving up. I feel bad for Rob, man.

The Unforgotten Quest Kickstarter has failed.

Posted by Robert Moran (Creator)
Video Announcement:

The following is a transcript of the video if you rather read then watch.

Today I am announcing that my Kickstarter that was funded in December 2012, has failed. Before I talk about my failure, I want to first talk about compensation for my backers. Having worked online for over a decade, I have seen so many big Kickstarters like my own come and go with no real compensation for the backers after they fail. I am not a wealthy man who can just reimburse everyone, but at the same time I personally cannot continue working with the guilt of having this debt from people who were just fans of my own work. This guilt is a revolting pain that sits in the bottom of my stomach making me hate myself and has been building up ever since my project went off rails. This shame I feel would only end up tainting everything project I work on for the rest of my life if I continue to work without addressing what has become a colossal failure.

So what does someone with over 100,000 dollars of debt do? What does anyone with debt they cannot afford do? They pay it off slowly. Starting at the end of January 2018, I will pledging 500 dollars a month to slowly pay back my backers one by one. I know that it will take an insane amount of time to pay everyone back and I will try to put more of my personal savings towards it as much as I can if I can afford to do so. I want this debt gone. I need it gone. I understand for some people this isn't good enough, but I ask you to put yourself in my shoes. I fully admit I promised and sold more then I was capable of back in 2012. This is not a story about how everyone told me I couldn't do it and so I did it anyway and it was great. This is an apology from a guy whose ego finally got the the best of him and is now trying to make amends for his own tremendous screw up. I really thought I could make this on my own when I first set out to do this, but I have failed to deliver. For my Kickstarter backers, I will have a complete guide on how to receive a refund and other form compensation January 15th 2018 and again, I will start paying people back at the end of that month and continue to do so until there is no one left to reimburse.

I tried to make something I had no idea how to make. I believed I could do it, but the project's scope was far too big and the budget and timeline I set was unrealistic. I may have had the skillset to build this game, but I didn't have the appropriate plan to follow through. It feels so obvious looking back, which makes me feel incredibly foolish. When the project first had issues in 2013, instead of admitting failure and refunding the money while I could, I pressed forward believing I could just put together a new team and make this game anyway. That may sound crazy to you, but when I started this kickstarter, I really believed I could do anything. I had so many people warn me of the dangers of this scale of a project. I had so many people outright tell me how ignorant I was being, and yet I ignored their concerns due my own feelings of superiority. This kickstarters failure is no one else's to bare but my own and I feel utterly ashamed of myself. I should've done a smaller game or funded another season of the cartoon my fans wanted to watch instead of trying to make a massive game that no one was asking for. I was entitled, selfish, and full of myself because of the all opportunities that were given to me earlier in life that I believed I had earned because of ego. I feel so guilty for dragging this out as long as I did as well. I couldn't bring myself to admit I made a mistake until this year. I legitimately always believed I needed more time and kept pouring myself professionally and financially into an unorganized bottomless mess. I let my ego I had built up from accidental success when I was younger get the better of me to believe that I could do this on my own and now the only one to blame for it's failure is myself.

I followed my dreams and it was the worst decision in my life. This was my best and there is nothing more humbling then when you try your best and fail. I am truly sorry for this tremendous lack in judgement and wish I had a better resolution then the one I have.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Ouch.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
I was really sad to see that in my sub box. But even if I didn't get the game I backed, I really enjoy his current content, so I'm not too upset about it.

Dunsparce

... God damn dude. Not even I'm gonna shit talk him after that. The mother fucker was barely able to stop himself from crying.

Good thing I never actually donated. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13thforsworn

I think he's right about this failure and lack of acknowledging it tainting his other work. From the content that I've watched since he's moved on from UR, I've enjoyed, but a thought in the back of my mind always came back; "shouldn't he be working on UQ?" ... "He's started so many new and different projects but what about UQ?"

Making this video was definitely the right choice. I understand why it took so long, admitting to yourself that you fucked up takes a long time, and confronting it sucks. Hopefully this effort will put it all to rest, and he can work on new stuff without his past having a tarnishing effect on it.

Requiem

I only gave him a dollar and only as a joke so we could fuck with him years ago during the Kickstarter, then he got thousands of dollars and the joke got buried. Now I get those updates and I just feel bad.

It's not much, but he definitely doesn't have to give me a dollar at all.

AndyM03

Good on Rob for that, least he's honest.

if you would like to discuss shirtless Adam Driver I made a Star Wars thread for the new movie.
If you are currently signed up for my mafia game go post stuff you absolute fucking **************************
plz

The Hound

Just Monika
I'm glad Rob finally was able to admit what most of us assumed when he started the Kickstarter, that there was no way this was ever going to be completed. I'm honestly surprised he's going to try to pay the money back as most Kickstarter projects would never even consider that, it shows that he really is contrite for his failure.

I hope there's an option to opt out of receiving my money back, since I used to donate to the man for a reason (besides being able to use my own avatar) and that was because I thought he was a talented dude who made quality shit and I wanted to see him be able take care of himself and that hasn't changed. I see that money I kicked into his Kickstarter as just one last donation, and even though I haven't watched anything he's done in years I'm glad he's still making content and I'm hopeful that he can find some happiness getting out from under this.

Requiem

Hopefully he does get out from under it, even if just in his mind, I want him to keep making content even if I've stopped watching it.

Rondait

Well, from the sounds of the video you kind of have to opt in to getting your money back, so I assume you if you just don't go through whatever process he's setting up then he wont have to pay you back.

Top Bottom