Forumer Chat Thread

The Hound

Just Monika
I remember when Rob had a special forum section for donators. It was rarely used and literally had no special perks since he wasn't any more inclined to communicate there as he was anywhere else.

Lumpy

I recall Rob saying people would get sneak peaks of the show or whatever. I also recall the DVD's though.

Anyway, I propose we put the word "donation" in quotes if we really want to keep adding rewards to it. Other than that, give people whatever you want for them. Who really cares about Mach getting money for making some forumer feel superficially superior to us all?

Quite honestly though, having my name Yellow and a "Donor" tag attached to it would discourage me from donating even more than giving away my money already does. It should be less flashy so we don't all get annoyed by donors. I like TC's colour scheme.

Ibix

Quite honestly though, having my name Yellow and a "Donor" tag attached to it would discourage me from donating even more than giving away my money already does. It should be less flashy so we don't all get annoyed by donors. I like TC's colour scheme.
I already PM'd Recon about this. I don't like the color and it being flashy aswell.
Who really cares about Mach getting money for making some forumer feel superficially superior to us all?
Even the slighted insinuation of this on my character makes me not want to even have it next to my name at all.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
I already PM'd Recon about this. I don't like the color and it being flashy aswell.
If it's not too much trouble for Recon, I'm sure he'll change it.

Huh. Duly noted. I'm just brainstorming ideas to possibly raise money for it.

Donors should get access to the Shadow Realm!
While it's probably a joke, just touching base here: The goal that I was thinking of for donating was more akin to cosmetic incentive opposed to paywalling the site.

I figured a custom title would be a fairly neat incentive.

The Hound

Just Monika
Aww I liked my gold name, not because it make me somehow superficially better but because it was different. If maybe instead of gold people who donate get to choose a color for themselves kind of like we do in discord. I would appreciate that greatly.

Also yes we did get to see Rob's content early (when he was actually making content in large batches) but I was just talking about the uselessness of the special donator only forum.

RECONmaster

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Well my first thought was to make it three different banner colors but we didn't have enough colors that were unique, appealing and untaken. It is an option however that if you prefer to stay low-key then you can donate anonymously. I've reworked the system so that it's clear what tier a donor is part of without the additional banners and username color.

Anyway, I propose we put the word "donation" in quotes if we really want to keep adding rewards to it.
If colored usernames, banners and custom titles are on the borderline of donation and "donation" then I think a lot of our politicians need to reconsider how they're gonna fund their next campaign. Changing a username color, user title or banner costs me literally nothing so it's the least I could do to show my appreciation for those who are willing to part with their hard earned cash to help offset maintenance costs or fund new features. Any reasonable person shouldn't be greatly more incentivized to donate by these rewards if they weren't already planning on it. Granted, if the reason a person donates is for the symbol of status or the feeling of superiority then they need to get checked out. It's fine to feel good about donating as it's just helping out your fellow man but this website has a userbase of some 20 active users, your banner, colored name and custom user titles aren't impressing anybody.

The Hound mentioned that Rob used to offer preview as a reward and honestly if I was a created content on any semblance of a usual basis, I would actually offer previews of new episodes as a donation/patreon perk. Sure it's an incentive but non-donors will get the same content eventually and I like showing my appreciation to strangers who fund my hobbies.

Aww I liked my gold name, not because it make me somehow superficially better but because it was different. If maybe instead of gold people who donate get to choose a color for themselves kind of like we do in discord.
Sorry dude, I'll think about reinstating the colored username later, probably in a more mute color and no there's not a way for donors to get to choose a color for themselves. If it's any consolation, you do still have the ability to change your user title, all you gotta do is go to your profile.

Last edited:

Whitetiger

I mean I'm pretty against the flashy names and donator badges too but if Recon feels like putting in the work to implement it, why not just have it be a choice? If Lumpy donates and doesn't a gold badge under his name, it can be off by default. Then if Bob or Req want their badge they can maybe have an option in their profile to turn it on. I've never run a forum though so I don't know if that would be annoying to put in but that would be the ideal solution right?

Lumpy

The "donations" thing was more a reply to the shadow realm thing. I figured my same post would make the point that cosmetic changes don't matter with the whole unnecessary "superficially superior" jab I forced into it.

Custom titles are a fine idea, particularly for higher amounts. If people need their username changed, I'd say you should just help them out and do it so they don't just make a new account though. Rob's sneak peaks at Urelams episodes was a good idea too if he could have figured out a way to do it without people just ripping and re-uploading them somewhere.

RECONmaster

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
If people need their username changed
Custom user title's are the thing that normally say "Well-Known Member" or something to that effect. However, forcing people to donate if they want to fix the typo in their name sounds lucrative. Pretty sure you can change your name by yourself in the profile settings, I think.

The Hound

Just Monika
I'd be fine with not having the Donor badge under my name, honestly just being able to change my title is reward enough. The name color thing for me is just something my brain likes, it helps me delineate my posts from other peoples, it's why I liked using text color back in the day (though I got tired of making that effort).

Also I had the biggest brain fart all day, I kept writing Donator and wondering why does that not look right and why is spell check saying it's wrong. Duh... Donor.

Lumpy

Custom user title's are the thing that normally say "Well-Known Member" or something to that effect. However, forcing people to donate if they want to fix the typo in their name sounds lucrative. Pretty sure you can change your name by yourself in the profile settings, I think.
Changing a username, user title or banner costs me literally nothing so it's the least I could do to show my appreciation for those who are willing to part with their hard earned cash to help offset maintenance costs or fund new features.
That's cool that we can change it though. I didn't know that.

RECONmaster

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Well that there sir is a typo of the highest order. Let's fix that before anybody else gets the wrong idea.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Huh. I had no idea. The more you know.

Changing a username color, user title or banner costs me literally nothing so it's the least I could do to show my appreciation for those who are willing to part with their hard earned cash to help offset maintenance costs or fund new features. Any reasonable person shouldn't be greatly more incentivized to donate by these rewards if they weren't already planning on it
Recon summed it up for me. The reward for donating is the actual donating itself, but it also gives something tangible to the individual that decided to do it.

Dunsparce

Hey guys, guess what! It's that time of year again! That's right, May 2nd. The day we all wish @Jeroth a happy birthday, and everyone just pretends to forget that it's my birthday too! See, it's this super hilarious running joke that we're all in on where everybody acts like they don't give a shit about me. Seriously, this is some grade A meme shit. It gets funnier every year!

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Hey Riyant, happy birthday! I just want you to know that although you're the only forumer born on May 2nd, you'd be my very favorite even if that somehow wasn't the case!

Top Bottom