Forumer Chat Thread

D

Deleted member 13

Unregsistered User
happy birthday recon, thanks for giving me a place to regularly talk about myself nonstop including even in my birthday message to you

D

Deleted member 13

Unregsistered User
I watched some horror movies over Halloween, including Needful Things and the 2006 Omen remake.

I thought the former was actually quite fun in a very guilty pleasure sort of way. The latter was just bad imo.

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Blooky and I watched Alien (which she hadn't seen) and What We Do in the Shadows (which neither of us had seen).

Alien is obviously great, but Shadows was an unexpected gem. Funniest movie I've seen in at least a year.

Dunsparce

Blooky and I watched Alien

Alien is obviously great
This might possibly sound just a little bit edgy, but I remember my dad sitting me down to watch Alien when I was like 15 or so, and after it was over I said that I wouldn't have even known it was supposed to be a horror movie if nobody ever told me. That's how not scary it was.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
I also watched a couple of horror movies for Halloween: The Satanic Rites of Dracula (an insanely campy 70s Christopher Lee Dracula movie) and Tucker and Dale versus Evil, which is more like a horror comedy sorta thing. Would recommend checking out either, though Tucker and Dale was more my speed.

Colonel Thunder

Tucker and Dale deserves more love. It's great on a re-watch too, there are many small details.

This might possibly sound just a little bit edgy, but I remember my dad sitting me down to watch Alien when I was like 15 or so, and after it was over I said that I wouldn't have even known it was supposed to be a horror movie if nobody ever told me. That's how not scary it was.
It's not really a horror movie until like, the last 45 minutes of the film. Up until that it's mostly just a movie about space trucking. Keep in mind how insanely good the effects were (are, honestly), that we'd landed on the moon less than a decade earlier, and that most of the suspense comes from not knowing what the alien looks like (no lasting shots till near the very end).

Also, imagine being an expectant parent seeing that film. Fucking mortifying.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The jokes were varied and generally landed pretty well, some of the deaths were gnarly, and it combined the comedy and horror aspects nicely. Would watch again at some unspecified date far in the future.

Honestly, I think that while Alien is conceptually a good horror movie in how it was written and shot, the way that xenomorphs have permeated pop culture make the original not fuckin' scary at all. No amount of suspense is really gonna make you THAT worried about something you've seen before to the point of making jokes about it. The effects were great for what was... the 70s, where it was competing with like, roughly contemporary Star Wars and stuff. It's just the kind of thing that doesn't hold up in its effect if you don't see the original before absorbing it in other media.

Definitely pretty gross expecting a kid when first watching that movie, though. That'd be gnarly.

D

Deleted member 13

Unregsistered User
But I'll bet the worst movie to watch when expecting a kid is Eraserhead.

The Hound

Just Monika
Little late to this but I wouldn't say Alien is a horror movie it's a suspense movie. It feeds from tension, not outright horror. Watching it alone at night in a dark room will definitely get you on edge. I'm a big fanboy for the Alien series, even though so many of the movies in it have suuuuuuuuuuuucked.

Colonel Thunder

Little late to this but I wouldn't say Alien is a horror movie it's a suspense movie. It feeds from tension, not outright horror. Watching it alone at night in a dark room will definitely get you on edge. I'm a big fanboy for the Alien series, even though so many of the movies in it have suuuuuuuuuuuucked.
Please rank them for us!

The Hound

Just Monika
Alien
Aliens

Don't watch the rest... Prometheus is pretty but insultingly stupid, A3 is goddamn trash and the less said about AVP the better.

Oh and Alien Resurrection is better than A3 but still not great. I still haven't gotten around to the 2017 Alien movie but that's mostly because I completely forgot about it.

Colonel Thunder

I agree with your top two rankings, but I would still recommend seeing Resurrection. I haven't seen A3 so I can't judge on that, but AR works pretty well as a film so long as you watch it as sci-fi comedy/horror. The film very much has an awareness that they are pushing this series past its limits.

It's also more fun when you learn that Joss Whedon wrote the script (which explains the whimsical tone and fun space pirates as a precursor to Firefly), but he very much disliked how they executed that script.

That, and you have to hand it to the Alien franchise for having incredible world-building that stays consistent throughout the series, even as it switches genres with every slightly-worse installment.

My understanding is it goes:

Alien: Sci-fi Horror
Aliens: Sci-fi Action
A3: Sci-fi Drama
A4: Sci-fi Horror/Comedy
Prometheus: Mystery
Covenant: (Don't know, haven't seen it)

EDIT: Bonus point to AR for including a version of the "kill me" scene that was deleted from Alien, as well as killing the hybrid with what was supposed to be Lambert's death in Alien.

Last edited:
Top Bottom