Golden Lore OOC - Closed

TimTh33nchant3r

Doesn't change that I fucked up and just made excuses for a month
Just breathe, brother. That shit happens. Some people make excuses indefinitely.

On the note of shitty games, I'm not very good at balancing mine and they tend to end in party wipes. Though on the other hand, to be fair that one time was just bad dice rolls coupled to unlucky choices... AH! EXCUSES!

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
On the positive side, GL has a really interesting and colorful setting, and did a good job of bringing in (/allowing) really interesting and colorful characters. Unfortunately, solid writing and solid DM'ing are really very separate skills. I know firsthand that it's really easy to get so wrapped up in one of those that you don't even notice yourself fucking up the other one, so I definitely don't blame you.

If you'll take my recommendations for the future and in general, I'd say that an important thing is that DMPC's are inherently dangerous and should always be used with extreme caution. If you have to have a DMPC, try to avoid making it a powerful DMPC - players that end up in conflict with it will resent the unfair matchup, and players working with the DMPC will get to feel gypped about how it's always effortlessly stealing their spotlight. Players generally only like DMPC's that guide their actions by means of occasional helpful tips, ideas, and exposition, if they try to guide their actions at all, and play a generally supportive role to the party.

If you have to have a powerful DMPC, try to minimize outright conflict with the player characters. Once they just stop wanting to listen to the DMPC altogether, you're down to either forcing them to play along with the story you want, or changing its direction to account for how the players are no longer inclined to be cooperative with an asshole DMPC.

And finally, if you have to have a DMPC, and it has to be both powerful and abrasive, then... well, make sure it's also expendable.

Anyway, like I said, not really blaming you. It was an easy mistake to make, which, due to the nature of the beast, unfortunately ended up backfiring disproportionately hard. I've killed my own fair share of RP's with incompetent GM'ing before, so I know how it is. Still, it's worth not giving up on. Just remember where it took a bad turn, and move on. Eventually you get to where you suddenly realize that you've been doing a pretty good job lately, and that's a satisfying realization to have. Pretty worth it.

Last edited:

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Oh boy, this is a lot to come back to. I had doubts at certain points in this rp, but I was still interested in what was going to happen, and where you were going to take it.

There's nothing wrong with trying, and trying again. If you make mistakes, learn from them. Sometimes you just have to laugh off a mistake as a mistake. How can you succeed if you don't keep trying?

By the way, are should we wait for another post? or just keep posting? I'm not sure how to interpret chapter 1 end.

Last edited:

Requiem

Man, like I said in Discord, I miss this game, but I'm also fully aware that everyone else almost definitely don't miss it like I do.

That said, even though this is years in the making, after having read my comments here in this thread, I have to apologize for being not only a terrible DM and fellow player but also for being a complete and utter bag of douche all throughout this game. Read some of my shitty posts in these first few pages of this thread, I was SO up my own ass. I was just being a real McAsshole and none of you deserved that treatment.

Wow... just wow at this whole thing and not in a good way. This is actually pretty eye-opening...

Top Bottom