Golden Lore OOC - Closed

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
More than the rest of you fuckers have, so you best be on good behavior if you're not some kinda stupid OP shit woman.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
You got next post here, Req? Or are you waiting for Riyant?

Requiem

Family is here right now, so I'm not really doing much with the forum. I've gotta post though in reaction to what Stoney did. I'm gonna do a dice roll and see how successful it is/where it hits if it does.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
For now, Diarmuid is just going to aimlessly follow the group because there's no where else to go. I really enjoyed the start of this, but I'm just honestly disappointed by this @Requiem . There's a lot of railroading and I wanted to role-play, not deal with the DM keeping his all-knowing story character alive. The situation went from tense to blatantly on the rails to just ridiculous - and not the fun, Gurren Lagann ridiculous either.

Requiem

I don't disagree, I honestly expected to be in the lab about a month ago. When I say things get explained and resolved, I truly mean they get explained and resolved.

Requiem

And to get more in depth without revealing story stuff, the next scene involves more dice rolls. Yes, one of the bigger dice rolls will have to do with Cassandra Malone, but that's part of the explanation I meant. Beyond that, there will be plenty more dice rolls involving you guys, plus finally combat. I had hoped we'd have seen some fighting in chapter 1, but when Kagrin dove into the bar, the cops pulled back. It's essentially what kept the cops from becoming more of a factor and a chance for combat. That might sound like a cop out, but it is honestly why things led more towards getting pushed into the basement.

That said, yeah, I get that the game feels rail roaded, but I did mention early on that there'd be some rail roads. I'm not a fully free GM, I never have been really. I have a story I wanna tell. I have been avoiding rail roads as much as I could though, even if it doesn't seem like that. There's not much more I can say than that without it sounding like I'm just making excuses.

If you're disappointed though, I'd rather you tell me sooner, whether in PM, Facebook, Skype, or a post here, before it gets too bad. If you're not having fun, tell me that. You're not gonna hurt my little girl feelings. I'd rather you tell me sooner than later, later being after weeks of no posts from you. I can't fix problems that you don't tell me about besides through passive aggressive YouTube videos of trains.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
That said, yeah, I get that the game feels rail roaded, but I did mention early on that there'd be some rail roads.
It doesn't feel railroaded - it is. I don't have issues with railroading, so long as it's done tactfully. "I am a plot device", while funny, would fit better in TC'S CYOA than Golden Lore. But then again, I may have just had Golden Lore overhyped for me. I was told it was a great game that went through many iterations. I really enjoyed the work for Diarmuid and the ideas of the other characters and it soured for me when it turned into: "I am a plot device. Get on the rails, loser. We're going on this ride."

I'm not a fully free GM, I never have been really. I have a story I wanna tell.
I understand that, but that's where we have opposing views. I see role-playing on the forums as an opportunity to make a world revolving around the characters and that react to them. I'm not saying that fully-free RP is amazing, but it allows for vastly different things. Then again, that's my experience from running D&D.

I'd rather you tell me sooner than later, later being after weeks of no posts from you.
I've been managing the new job and whatever hours of spare time that I have. Golden Lore seemed to be escalating, so I figured that I'd let the situation resolved. By time, it resolved with the GMPC being shot for the fifth time and still being alive, I just lost interest to post between the players trying to kill the DMPC that magically keeps surviving.

Anyway, that's my critique and now moving to the second part. Do you mind if I lift Golden Lore's setting? Considering you took the "Alternate Universe" plot device, I've been talking with the boys [Tirin, Easy, Coolpool] and I'd love to set up a role-play to run parallel to this with the same characters, that's different thematically. You're welcome to make a character for it and so is anyone else.

Requiem

It doesn't feel railroaded - it is. I don't have issues with railroading, so long as it's done tactfully. "I am a plot device", while funny, would fit better in TC'S CYOA than Golden Lore. But then again, I may have just had Golden Lore overhyped for me. I was told it was a great game that went through many iterations. I really enjoyed the work for Diarmuid and the ideas of the other characters and it soured for me when it turned into: "I am a plot device. Get on the rails, loser. We're going on this ride."
Oh that. That's not a joke though. The "I am a plot device" thing was literal. Again, this is why I want to just get into the actual story. I don't want to spoil anything, still, but when I said that in the game, the character meant it literally. Coolpool even said, inb4 we're all just in a story, to which I replied, you're right but you're wrong.

I wasn't saying "teehee this isn't a grand story at all, it's just us fucking around." That character and very key parts of the setting which still haven't been revealed because we're in the initial scene of the game have reasons and little things like that line have been getting peppered into lines here and there.

I apologize for that tripping things up for you, but again, that wasn't a joke line. It wasn't me being silly. That's literally part of the story and not a sign of the game being railroaded.

As for making a game on the side, give that some time. I want to actually dig into this game first. I'm not gonna say no, but since you'd like to make it in my universe, I'd like for you guys to know everything about it, which is what the lab chapter is supposed to do. Y'all have been operating on little to no information and the game has been focused in one small direction that's meant to open up later.

So don't make anything until you have everything yall are supposed to actually have in terms of information.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
As for making a game on the side, give that some time. I want to actually dig into this game first. I'm not gonna say no, but since you'd like to make it in my universe, I'd like for you guys to know everything about it, which is what the lab chapter is supposed to do. Y'all have been operating on little to no information and the game has been focused in one small direction that's meant to open up later.
To be fair, I can run it with no information, since it's not a grandiose story. It's a "normal slice of life", if their normal lives were running a crime syndicate. They aren't the chosen ones. They're simply running a crime syndicate in a city that's distracted looking for whoever murdered the king/prince/whatever. Right now, I feel like Fortune, Kanin and a lot of the others are currently being wasted and I want to make them shine. For now, I'll toss up the OOC thread for it.

Oh that. That's not a joke though. The "I am a plot device" thing was literal.
Yeah. I know it wasn't a joke, which makes it a joke. I don't think the reveal that you have in mind can wash out the sour taste of that.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I don't disagree, I honestly expected to be in the lab about a month ago.
Me too, and we would have been - but then Cassandra just had to go and start swinging her big, floppy OPDMPC dick around.

We're at a point where I'd be genuinely impressed if the current situation was resolved without either some very egregious railroading, or somebody getting killed. I'm all for a challenge, mind you, but if you're gonna put us in that situation, (by having her needlessly escalate at every turn just to show off), you should at least give us a fair shot (no pun intended) at making sure the corpus isn't one of ours. It's not really very fun to feel like you're playing a blatantly rigged game, particularly when you didn't sign up for one.

Requiem

And that's my fault, definitely. There's a very definite point where Cassandra Malone isn't the character she is right now and it comes very soon, it's part of the lab scenes that are coming up. I never intended for her to he so overbearing, despite her being very much in character. When I say me, you, and Tirin dicking around how we were with shooting each other and Malone being invincible, that legitimately was just dicking around because no one was posting besides you guys. We got down to the basement, what, three weeks ago? Maybe a little more? I wanted to give everyone the opportunities to post, but when they didn't, I simply had her react in character for who she is as a person right this second. I don't want to blame anyone, but there was a fair stretch of time where Malone wasn't just big dicking it all over the place that people had opportunities to post in. Am I wrong? Easy and Tirin were active and yeah, they addressed their problems with what was going on and I think we worked through them play wise, but no one else was really talking at all. Again, I can't fix problems that people don't talk to me about.

It's just gonna keep sounding like excuses, but the whole invincibility thing and Malone just not dying was the result of me choosing to just dick around and have fun with the situation. It was still in character and it still goes with the plot, but it was never intended for you guys to end up actually fighting her as she's really just supposed to be a guide at this second.

Anyways, I think we all know it really doesn't matter what I say here. I cocked things up again for the umpteenth time. I wanna keep going, but I've just been trying to do what makes sense in character and out and if I didn't do that, I sincerely apologize and if you guys wanna bail and go play a superior game because I don't know what the fuck I'm doing, feel free.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I may have jumped the gun a bit there, but to be fair, I've spent the last couple posts just setting up how Fortune was gonna light that bitch on fire, so I'm inclined to go through with it.

I want to play your game, just not at the cost of not being able to play my character. That said, it wouldn't be impossible to stop the whole train wreck without Malone (or others) dying, even at this point, if she's absolutely necessary for the plot. It's just on you (not to be accusing), as the GM, to work out some clever solution as to how.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Fuck yeah. Confirmed kill #1 goes to: The goblin with no magic powers!

Want me to kill Tolvan's character off next?

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Well, I for one actually genuinely do want to see where it goes from here - but if you're not happy with either where it's going now or has been going all along, then that's your call to make.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I don't necessarily endorse that decision, but I do respect it. Bummer, but there it is.

Requiem

The Golden Lore is a book that exists outside of time and space in a different branch of existence. It monitors and records each of the different types of universes that could exist at various points in time.

All of your characters and Malone were part of a team which broke into the other dimension and were able to see the history and story of every single form of existence. By making it to the Golden Lore, they became eternal. The various people in that dimension would continuously insert themselves into the Golden Lore itself in an attempt to understand it and learn how to control it.

You play the villains.

As the Last Iteration, you would face the emperor as he is a rogue member of the original team who entered the Golden Lore dimension. He intended to stop all of you. He enters the Golden Lore and tries to insert himself into every form of existence to prevent you from getting the book for yourselves.

In the lab, something known as the Process would have removed Malone's abilities as the Progenitor. She was essentially the guide and steward of everyone inside of the Last Iteration's version of existence. Each of your characters are villains trying to attain ultimate power, but in order to enter the book, you have to give up your old personality until you die, essentially becoming a whole new person, the characters you made. She is given foreknowledge so that she can keep all of you safe, accomplish your goals, and ultimately finish the Iteration and stop the emperor from preventing you from getting the Golden Lore. There was every opportunity for her to die after getting into the lab.

With the Progenitor nullified, each of your characters' personalities would have set in more permanently. After plot progressed, you would have fought the emperor and died due to the Golden Lore giving him ultimate power in order to protect it. He would then kill himself in order to get out of the book and back into the Golden Lore dimension.

With your personalities ingrained in your Golden Lore bodies, you would have been able to make the choice to side with the Emperor and save the Golden Lore or take it and accomplish your original forms' ultimate goal of infinite, God like power. Whatever sides you would have chosen, it would have led to more plot, but eventually the last confrontation would have been whoever was left alive would have been fighting for or against the power of the Golden Lore. Dice rolls galore.

There's the info dump.

Top Bottom