Grand Strategy General

Firedemon

I find the distinctions between 4x and grand strategy to be ill defined. 4x is well defined of course, but grand strategy is not. Most definitions of grand strategy seem to lack anything that would exclude Civilization from the cool kids' club. Civilization is at least grand strategy light.

AndyM03

Civ is 4x, not grand strategy.
I agree with this, but our forum is too small I reckon to make the distinction.
Total War and Civ belong in this thread.
Even though i'm the only one that plays Total War whoopsies.
Despite being the maker of this thread I think all of you are far bigger fans of Paradox then I am. EU IV was super disappointing to me, Stellaris doesn't look fleshed out nearly enough, HoI IV has made a lot of questionable design choices, but on that one I've really gotta play it to critique it more.

They peaked at Victoria 2 fight me irl if u disagree.

Firedemon

So Hearts of Iron 4 been pretty good so far. I'd say I'm having more fun than the previous one, if nothing else for not having to assign an entire military staff structure for a massive national border for a good 30-45 minutes.
I picked up HoI4 Friday.

I have no life now. I'm currently sitting tight as Fascist Italy, leading the Novus Imperium Romanum instead of joining the Axis, waiting for a good time to roll over France. I'm mostly just consolidating power in the Balkans and stuff. It's 1940, and the German Reich hasn't kicked off WWII yet. I've got some armored divisions as volunteers for Japan and China is getting wrecked pretty bad. Way worse than they did by even the end of WWII historically.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I've conquered both the Axis and the Comintern in the same game as Poland, which was probably a mistake because I now feel that I've completely beaten the game. It's all downhill from here. Why even bother playing other countries now?

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Oh shit, that's a good point.

Wait, no, there aren't any achievements you can unlock with Ethiopia or Austria. Never mind.

Firedemon

So, I've been working on this Vijayanagar -> Bharat game a few weeks. It's 1628 and Ming just declared war on me, so I'm feeling this may start to go downhill very fast. I went exploration/expansion ideas and raced to the New World. I might have won that race if I had realized I could have, since colonialism spawned about 12 years late and I had already settled for Australia and all the islands inbetween. I lost global trade by something like half a ducat too. I took South Africa, Madagascar (the pink stain there is my vassal I plan to integrate soon) to limit European colonial influence in my area. They pretty much have to island hop across the Pacific now, which they still haven't started doing.

As Tirin pointed out to me, I fucked up by not finishing my unification of India. Delhi and Bengal both got really big and had pretty nasty alliances I couldn't deal with, so I built up my strength elsewhere. Delhi only recently started to implode and I somehow scored an alliance with them, and I was getting ready to finally smack down Bengal since their alliances somehow crumbled, but then Ming attacked. I'm the 3rd great power right now, with the 1st being Ming and 2nd being Ottomans. I have about 115 force limit. Ming has 299. My standing army is only about 80k, since I just got stack wiped dicking around in Europe when I should never have gotten involved (still not sure why I thought that was a good idea). Ming has the only navy larger than mine. The only thing I have going for me is that I have mil tech 18 to their 16.

I think my only hope is to hide behind my meager assortment of forts and hope the attrition weakens them enough for me to score a few major victories. I expect they have near infinite manpower and mercenaries though.

Attachments

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
What ideas do you have? If your military is ahead of them in tradition and quality (or you can roll a good general), then you'll be able to defend yourself if you pick your battles carefully. The most important thing is defending forts that they're sieging on bad terrain, like jungle, hills, or mountains. When you attack stacks that are sieging these forts (that is, haven't completed the siege), they get the terrain penalty, which you can very much use to your advantage with strategic fort placement. Just make sure that you don't attack over rivers if you don't have to.

Your base ideas are slightly better, militarily, than Ming's are, and your tech is a major advantage - so if you've got Quality or Offensive, you should be able to win the majority of your battles with careful planning and good army management, despite their numbers. If you start getting trashed on manpower, start buying up mercenaries - it's better to spend the money now than regret your losses in provinces later.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Just infantry mercs, though. Cavalry and artillery units take much, much less damage in combat than infantry; even in times of manpower crisis, you don't generally need to be shelling out the mercenary maintenance cost for those.

Firedemon

So, I may have overreacted. Ming apparently had abysmally low manpower when the war started; I noticed after our very first engagement they were down to 16k manpower vs my 50k. Manpower hit zero for them before our second engagement and they haven't been able to hold any of my land, while Delhi and Majapihit have been picking away at their borders. I'm sitting at 100k troops right now, while they've dwindled to about 135k from their 220k start.

And yeah, you're right, Vijayanagar ideas with a smidgen of extra pips from my superior mil tech/tech group are just destroying them. I only have Quantity ideas too, so I'm not even getting serious combat benefits from that.

Edit: And 30 minutes later I take a province and 600 ducats in the peace deal.

Last edited:

AndyM03

bois how do I play Stellaris plz.
I've had 2 test playthroughs and I think i'm ready to go all in. Any big overarching tips? I've heard Corvette spam is a handy trick if things aren't going my way.
Also do any of you have the latest DLC? I'm wondering whether I should just wait for it to be on sale.

Last edited:

AndyM03

Oh and if any of you want to play multiplayer I'd be keen for that (Next month though, once i'm done with Uni)
promise not to genocide you xx <3

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
I'd be down to play a multiplayer game of Stellaris. It'll be my first time trying it out, but I think I'll be able to get used to the interface reasonably quickly. May pick it up and kick it around a little bit before then so I don't completely shit the bed.

Firedemon

Definitely down for some Stellaris MP if you guys are interested. Do any of us have the DLC? If the host has it, we can all play with it even if we don't. If none of us do, I might be picking it up during the Summer Sale that's bound to happen sooner or later.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Never played Stellaris, but I'd be down to if a sale comes up.

AndyM03

Never played Stellaris, but I'd be down to if a sale comes up.
It's $12 at the moment! Only reason why I was able to allow myself buy it haha.
https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly
Subscribe to the humble Monthly, you'll pay $12 and get Stellaris plus some more games at the end of the month. You're free to cancel your subscription straight away so you only pay $12.

I do not have the DLC, sorry lads. Had the same plan to pick it up on a sale, $20 USD at the current exchange rate is criminal right now but considering I got the base game so cheap I was tempted to get it full price. Then again, I know there'll be so much more DLC to come I think I might wait anyway.

@Tirin Definitely easy to pick up despite initially feeling quite different, I reckon you'll beast it in no time.

@Colonel Thunder Such a good game, feel free to share your adventures with us. And eventually play the Japan mod, Genkoju or something, it's really good and still similar to Vanilla rather then some other mods out there.

Top Bottom