Grand Strategy General

Firedemon

I'm getting back into Stellaris a bit right now and I have to say, hyperlane only is the best way to play. I like the idea of having diverse FTL methods, but the game is just outright more interesting in my opinion if it's hyperlane only.

AndyM03

I'm getting back into Stellaris a bit right now and I have to say, hyperlane only is the best way to play. I like the idea of having diverse FTL methods, but the game is just outright more interesting in my opinion if it's hyperlane only.
Haven't tried that one yet. TL;dr on how it actually works?

To be honest I actually really like the easy mode basic one simply for the ease of exploration. Felt really reliant on other peoples star charts when I had the warp station one.

Firedemon

Basically the three FTL methods work like this

Warp lets you travel freely within a radius around your ship's current location
Hyperlane lets you travel along the predetermined and unchanging hyperlane network
Wormhole lets you travel to or from wormhole stations within a certain (very large) radius

Hyperlane is faster than warp but will not always give you a good path to follow. So sometimes warp is actually faster. Over large distances, wormhole is always faster, but over short distances wormhole will typically be slower because each jump takes the same amount of time.

In my opinion, unless there was a nerf I missed, wormhole is OP. The radius around wormhole stations is extremely large, the stations cost 0.25 energy maintenance, and only 75 minerals to build. They can also be built in allied, neutral, and enemy territory. It is completely feasible to build them in every system you own if you want, and it is the fastest way to traverse large distances. The real downside to wormhole is that short jumps are much slower than with warp and hyperlane, because they take the same amount of time as any other single jump. But in my own experience, that's really not a big deal at all.

I feel that playing hyperlane only is best because it gives geographical (astrographical?) value to certain systems. More specifically, I think hyperlane only with a spiral galaxy is even better, because the game will usually only generate a handful of bridges between different arms of the galaxy.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
For anyone who's purchased any Paradox products recently (and didn't do so using USD), it may be worth your while to have a look at this. Essentially, they'll give you a free game (or two free DLC). That said, I'm not sure what range of products it covers - they say "any Paradox product", which seems pretty unambiguous, but may refer only to things they've developed or only things that actually saw the price change.

Either way, I submitted a ticket, and I figure it's worth a shot in general.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
SPAM JUMP DRIVE BITCH.

I've been playin' Stellaris a good bit, and my first game has been pretty fucked. Extradimensional invaders fired seemingly pretty early (utterly wiping out the empire they spawned in), and coincidentally right next to me - and the fallen empire that awakened in response did fuck all to help, leaving myself and an ally the sole bastions against this threat to the galaxy. They destroyed all life on four worlds across three systems before I could muster the strength to stop them - and even that required a drastic upgrade to my fleet and technology. By the end I had killed more than half of their vessels, sealed the portal, and secured peace.

Then, since I was feelin' like bein' a dick and had nowhere to expand, I rivaled that very same awakened empire for having the gall to call themselves protectors of the galaxy when they sat in their ringworlds without lifting a finger for half a century. Shortly thereafter they declared war on me, and I realized my mistake - their fleet was an armada beyond my wildest imaginings, with technology I couldn't hope to approach. After the first conflicts the war ground to a halt, with my allies and I constructing vessels even as I made quick strikes on their worlds, analyzing the wreckage of individual ships and stations for any advantage I could find. Finally, the day came - my allies' combined fleet was intercepted and nearly broken, but my reinforcements caught the enemy off-guard and utterly annihilated them. I'm now the proud owner of a ringworld, and soon to be the most powerful force in the galaxy.

Dis game's pretty dope.

Top Bottom