Interest Gauging - Fate Shizno's / Dumb

Kratoury

Hey, so how's everyone doing today? Don't bother responding, I don't actually care. I mean, I guess if it's a particularly interesting day you can tell me, but if it's just a typical day for you then I can't say I need to hear about it. ... Y'know? You're right, that was rude of me, go ahead and tell me about your day, I'll wait.

Except for Shizno, I don't care about your poopy day.

So... yeah, now that you've gotten that out of the way let me go ahead and say a few things about myself. Let's see... I'm twenty-three years old, am a professional driver, am six-foot-seven, and I just found out about this cool new setting called "Fate Grand / Order" and its spinoff games "Fate Stay / Night" and "Fate Extra". It's pretty cool, so I thought that I would make a game about it. But at the same time, my track record with actually maintaining games is a little bit spotty so it seems prudent to go ahead and gauge public opinion of me to see if people have realized that I'm an unreliable piece of shit who couldn't be trusted to manage a single paper bag much-less a complex narrative yet. If not, then fuck it I guess we're golden. I'll follow up in a minute or two with some in-setting information.

The basic principals of this game are simple. Shit sucks a lot, all the time, and somebody has got to try and keep things from falling apart. What does that entail? Well, let me break it down for you.

The end has come. And no, that isn't me being dramatic. The end has come, a few times. The most recent times were in the 4th century, the 17th century, and somewhere around 2,700 BC- in that order. See, things that are truly scary enough to endanger all of humanity usually don't care so much about things like "the flow of time" or "causality". But how do you deal with situations wherein entities so dangerous that they could devour the whole of humanity front assaults on humanity from outside of normal reality? Well... you cheat.

In a foreign land, there used to be a ritual referred to as "The Holy Grail War". A contest between seven magi who would call forth familiars derived from something referred to as the "Throne of Heroes" which acts as a container for Heroic Spirits, which are essentially heroic figures from human history. King Arthur, Cú Chulainn, King Solomon and so on. Figures of myth and power far exceeding humankind; the sorts of entities that can topple circumstance that might otherwise seem impossible to turn away.

While that ritual has ceased to be utilized in recent years, the framework making it possible still remains. By utilizing and exploiting that system, there exists a group that has taken on the idea of utilizing the past heroes of humanity in order to fight off it's current (or in some roundabout way past and future) enemies. This poses several problems... But by utilizing the ingenuity of several of these Heroic Spirits- summoned forth as "Servants" which are essentially copies of the true being's spirit given physical form by an overwhelming amount of mana- this organization has managed to create a system that allows for an extreme number of these Servants to be maintained.

This organization is known rather simply as... Chaldea. Their goal is simple: prevent the destruction of humanity at all costs. And rather the general public is aware of it or not, they are the first and probably last line of defense against all sorts of things that defy human rationality. And now, they need more Masters to summon forth and contract servants. ... Are you up to the task?

So it's hinted at in the previous section, but let me be quite clear about this. This game takes place in the future. Not terribly far into the future mind you, but it's still worth noting. More specifically, the year is 2024 (or so, I can't be bothered figuring out the exact time-frame that Fate G/O takes place in given how vague Nasu's been regarding exact dates). There's been a mild declination in magic, but nothing severe enough that it should effect any plausible character concepts.

Now let me go ahead and explain about Chaldea and what it means in relation to your characters. I should note at this point that no, this game is not directly drawn from any canon source, which should be made astonishingly clear in the following few lines. Chaldea is essentially equal parts Academy, R&D Wet-Dream, and Magical Military / Training Construct. This may seem a bit like a mouthful, but bare with me for a moment. A master's bond with their servant is an important factor in determining their capacity to function as a team, so cultivating that bond is an important aspect of ensuring that they can operate at peak levels during large-scale operations. This would be the explanation behind a few of the quirkier aspects of Chaldea's organization.

Masters and their servants act as a team, and are given a ranking based upon their performance relative to the other Masters. On top of this Masters maintain a grade based on their capacity for problem solving, support, and a whole array of other factors that establishes a sort of internal hierarchy as well as acting as something of an indicator on what sorts of missions that master can be expected to complete reliably. Servants, on the other hand, have no particular ranking despite having clear differences in power. This is because their capacities tend to be reflected in the team's relative ranking anyways, thus rendering such a thing more-or-less moot.

The bond between a Master and a Servant is a very real, very tangible thing. And in fact, it has an influence on their ability to perform due to one rather noteworth innovation put forth by one of the Servants functioning as a scientist in support of Chaldea. Install Skills. As a servant becomes closer with their Master, their bond strengthening, their spiritual core literally opens up to that Master. This means that slight modifications to their internal structure becomes possible, allowing Install Skills to be added in, granting that servant skills over and above their natural capabilities.

And... that leads to me needing to explain something else doesn't it? Ugh... in-setting mechanics is gonna be sort of a hassle. So... Yeah, I'll put that into it's own section. For now, I'm instead gonna just go ahead and describe a little bit more about Chaldea.

So Chaldea's actual location is more-or-less hidden in a rather extreme environment that could be best described as a "cold as fuck mountain range". This isn't as much of an issue as you might think, given that Chaldea's entire facility is encapsulated by an environmentally controlled dome that keeps the people within from dying of exposure to cold. That said, their need for space goes beyond their actual physical capabilities, which means that the actual training grounds that Chaldea maintains are held within a suite of Reality Marbles that are housed within the training facility itself. These are essentially bubbles that contain areas which are effectively conceptually landscapes given form by a powerful will and (in Chaldea's case) a surplus of mana. In practice, this means that Chaldea's training grounds are not big metal rooms with targets... They're mountain ranges filled with monsters from the age of gods, underwater caverns touched with the ghosts of great pirates, deserts where Djinn roam the skies, and literally anything else that they could be bothered thinking of.

Apart from this, the bulk of Chaldea's actual area goes to two things. Housing, and power. They've gained the capacity to convert electricity into mana, but even then the sheer volume of power required to maintain hundreds of servants is nothing short of staggering. The two furthest sub-levels of the facility are dedicated to nothing beyond power generation, which makes any of this even possible. As for housing, while one might expect spartan dormitories... Well, it's shockingly modern and trended towards granting a decent amount of comfort. Each master has their own room, which they may personalize as desired. The cafeteria is managed by world-class chefs with well stocked kitchens, and there's no shortage of leisure facilities such as heated pools, a park, sports facilities, and even a full theater that play modern films. After all, how can people be expected to form bonds and make friends if they can't even hope to enjoy their off-time?

Another interesting area would be the school's store. Actual money is irrelevant, but one of those same scientists- one Leonardo da'Vinci- is more than happy to provide innovative inventions (mostly install-skills) to students in exchange for points that can be gathered by simply going through training sessions (which people are supposed to do anyways)! On top of that, they can provide mystic codes and all other manner of goodies for students who work hard enough to earn them. ... Or when they're feeling frivolous enough to just give them away... Either or, really.

You are playing a someone that is being recruited by Chaldea due to your capacity for acting as a Master. This means that you must possess Magic Circuits which grant the character prana, the internal magic source. In practice this means that characters should be mages or something along those lines. While I can't possibly be bothered with describing exactly how magic functions in this setting, please feel free to explore it... here.

You don't need to give me some extreme purpose for your character showing up, really, on account of being recruited to prevent the destruction of humanity being a generally decent motivating factor... But to give me some backstory and whatnot. I don't want to see Shizno making a character named "Shizno" who does nothing but walk around eating and fornicating with fecal matter. So... yeah, no self inserts. And really, look around on the wiki or just talk to me about characts and you will probably find something that you would like to run. You can throw questions in this thread and I'll respond with whatever info I can give, or you can hit me up on Discord and I'll be more than happy to rant at you about how cool homunculus are and how I love the Atlas Institute and what-not. ... MOVING ON.

For Masters, the one thing I really do need to note here is that their attributes are on a different scale than a servant's. So full disclosure, I'm copy + pasting this scale from a Fate roleplaying site I frequent called Fate/Breaking Chains. It's a great place, and if you find yourself hankerin' for some good ol' Fate RP then you may want to give it a gander. Here's the scale.

PS: And I feel like I shouldn't need to say this but I'll put it up anyways. If your character has particularly high stats and no reasonable justification (my judgement) for it, I'll tell you to tone it down. Just a forewarning for y'all.

↓ Character Sheet Staring From Here (Copy It, Including The [Master] Part) ↓
Name:

Elements: Info Here.
Origin: Info Here.

Sorcery Trait: Usually [None], but if applicable put down it's name here and describe it in the appropriate section below. Info Here.

Attributes
STR AGI END MAN
? ? ? ?

Skills and Abilities
Describe the various mundane capabilities that your character possesses. Acrobatics, Weapon Skill, Linguistics... Whatever you can think of. Describe how they acquired these abilities and whatnot, and up the write up with a skill entry as formatted below. This is for ease of reference, and the fact that grades and rankings make my dick harder than titanium.

Skill Name | Rank: (E - A)

Magecraft
Tradition, Style, Fanciful Name or Whatever You Wanna Use to Describe This Shit Here | Rank Here (E - A)

Description of Magecraft here... I want an at least decent idea as to what your character can do. If it's vague enough that I'm not sure you could do something, I'm going to rule that you can't, so be as clear as possible.

Mystic Codes and Sorcery Traits
Name of Mystic Code or Sorcery Trait
Description of Mystic Code or Sorcery Trait.

[Duplicate as necessary.]

Appearance
Let's find out how hot and dark your character is!

Personality
Go ahead and describe the many ways in which your character broods and waxes poetic about how their edgy yet romantic past.

History
So now we get into the part that I pretend I read all the way through- cool! Keep it interesting, but try to be concise so I can get through it without having to down a gallon of PCP- 'kay? Thanks breh'.

Name
Servant's True Name

Class
Servant's Class Here

Alignment
Servant Alignment Here

STR AGI END MAN LCK NP
? ? ? ? ? ?

Class Skills
Skill 1 - Rank
Description...

[More Skills As Necessary]

Personal Skills
Skill 1 - Rank
Description...

[More Skills As Necessary]

Noble Phantasms
Full Name of Noble Phantasm
Classification | Rank

Description...

[More Slots As Necessary]

Last edited:

Shizno

Hey, so how's everyone doing today?
Oh hey my day was pretty-
Don't bother responding, I don't actually care.
Oh... Well, nevermind then I guess or-
You're right, that was rude of me, go ahead and tell me about your day, I'll wait.
Ahaha. That's good. I'll just say really quick that it-
Except for Shizno, I don't care about your poopy day.
Y'KNOW WHAT KRATOUR, GO FUCK YOURSELF. SEE IF I CARE IF I TELL YOU HOW MY DAY WAS, NOT LIKE I CARE. I JUST WANT TO TALK TO YOU AND FEEL LIKE I'M CLOSE TO MY GODDAMN FRIEND. THE FRIEND THAT I RUN A PERSONA GAME FOR. BUT FINE. I SEE HOW IT IS.

Kratoury

So I've posted the first part of my write-up. Feel free to peruse and judge as viciously as you would like. ... Also hi TC, good to see you buddy.

Kratoury

Alright, section two- AKA: The World- is now up in the first post. Read over it as desired. Next up... Servant Mechanics, I guess?

Kratoury

Player info and Sheet added in. That said, Druby brought up a pretty good point to me. I did this write up without even considering that people may want to play Servants. But that wasn't out of a particular desire to keep people from doing so, it just didn't occur to me. So let me go ahead and ask everyone's opinions.

Would you guys like to be able to roll up Servants? - That is to say, players would be settled into pairs. One master and one servant. It's more hassle for me since it means I'd probably need to run six players rather than my preferred three or four, but that's fine if it's what people want.

- Oh, and hi Shizno. Sorry for not asking you about your day. It's just that I didn't care, y'know? Good to see you're still addicted to my attention like a puppy or a crack-whore. I L U

Last edited:

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Cool, I'm interested. Also F/GO is a spin off of F/SN. I consider myself a bit of a fate fan even if I haven't read the ten spin off light novels. I just finished Okeanos in F/GO yesterday.

Kratoury

Nah, SN is a spinoff of Extra, which is a spinoff of GO. You should really try to do some research breh'. Like... in SN Arthur is actually a girl, which is an allusion to the Saber ALTER (Mordred) in the burning city section of GO. If you want to play someone from Tokyo, but like before it starts burning, you could have your character know about the grail and stuff since that's where they had the ritual to begin with.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Also I'd be down with playing a servant or a master. I'd probably pick a Berserker though.

Still, you have the timeline wrong. Everything started from Extra CCC Fox Tail, which lead to Extra, which lead to SN and GO.

Kratoury

Ah fuck, you realized I've been literally fucking with you the whole time. The jig's up, even the opening post was just a lure to try and bait somebody into getting mad. ... But yeah, fair enough. Berserker's one of my favorite classes, but given the social focuses of this game you would generally need an atypical Berserker. Either somebody that resists mental pollution or who has very low, or very high, levels of Mad Enhancement.

And as a note, I'm pretty big on Fate. Played through SN, Hollow Ataraxia, Extra, Extella and GO. Watched Zero, FO, UBW, and am stockpiling HF. And I read Strange Fake and Apocrypha. Plus I played through Tsukihime, watched Kara no Kyoukai, and have read a decent amount of the design works and story notes. So if anybody has any questions about in setting stuff and the wiki is either obtuse (looking at you, Nursery Rhyme's skills...) or just way too long-winded to bother with? Feel free to ask me and I'll do my best to clarify things.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
I'd probably go with Asterios or Kiyohime (As fun as it would be to play Lancelot and just make screaming noises all the time. I would play Nightingale but I actually don't know her character very well). I've been meaning to look into Extra and Extella, but I've heard Extra is a really bad game. I also want to read prototype sometime.

Kratoury

Prototype is cool and all, but I prefer Gil's current Noble Phantasm. His old one was really more of a plot device than anything else. Excalibur Prototype is pretty much the coolest thing ever, although Artoria Lancer's design borrowed enough from it that I'm no longer sad that Prototype isn't canon.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
I am interested.

I won't be able to get anything ready until, like, the weekend, though - if even then. I'mma be a busy boy, since I'm spending my Thanksgiving getting drunk and stoned outta town.

Requiem

This is cool. Glad to have you here again Krstour and hopefully you stick around and keep the game going. That star wars game had mad potential.

I'm not too interested in this myself though, sorry. It's a neat idea, but not for me.

Also, are you active on the Discord often? If so, can someone link me to it again? I think we have two different Discords floating around, so yeah, just wanna make sure I have the right one.

Kratoury

I am interested.

I won't be able to get anything ready until, like, the weekend, though - if even then. I'mma be a busy boy, since I'm spending my Thanksgiving getting drunk and stoned outta town.
Well I'd hope you wanna play, it wouldn't be the same without my T-Bab's. Don't worry about time constraints, if you put something together by the end of the weekend you'll be just fine.

So tell me when I should start making a character/thinking of ideas.
Pretty much as soon as I get some feedback on rather people want to play Servants or not. I can't finalize my character rules until then, so...

This is cool. Glad to have you here again Krstour and hopefully you stick around and keep the game going. That star wars game had mad potential.

I'm not too interested in this myself though, sorry. It's a neat idea, but not for me.

Also, are you active on the Discord often? If so, can someone link me to it again? I think we have two different Discords floating around, so yeah, just wanna make sure I have the right one.
That Star Wars game was so disgustingly draining on me that I think I would have died if I'd put up one more post. Jesus, just thinking about it makes me uncomfortable. Although I do agree that it could've been pretty fun- Old Republic is always a cool setting to play with.

And yeah, don't worry about not being interested. Fate is basically this ridiculously complicated tangle of bullshit that takes a hired guide to even try to get through the most basic rundowns of the premise. Not exactly for everybody.

Good to see you though, and I'm not on Mach's server. So'z.

Top Bottom