Internet Persona Vs Real Life Persona

Dunsparce

Is there a difference between how you portray yourself on the internet and how you behave in real life? There's been a couple of times where people said they think my forum persona is just a full on act and that I'm probably completely different in real life. On the one hand, everything I've ever said here was said by me, in full lucidity, and completely intentionally, so I don't think I can really claim that my forum persona is different from from my true persona. On the other hand, I actually do act completely different in real life. After all, if I always acted like I do on the internet, I'd probably have a few more broken bones right now.

I'm actually really cold hearted in real life, and I think that's why I act so inflammatory online. Since I have such a hard time finding passion in life, I try to find it by making others, and hopefully myself, pissed off on the internet. I've found myself adopting personality traits I don't really have just to get a rise out of people, but is there really a difference between the personality I choose to show you and the one I really have? Maybe my internet persona is just a fragment of my true self.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Turns out, how I act is largely in relation to the situation that I'm in. I try to be respectful to my professors and employers and shit like that (in general), and assume that if I'm not a dick to them I'll be alright. That said, I really do not make bones about how I'm feeling or what I'm thinking - I'm an exceptionally outspoken guy while socializing more casually, whether it's here, elsewhere online, with friends, at parties, or meeting new people. That said, I'm usually not super great at actually doing that last one unless I'm under the influence; I find that I'm a little better at expressing myself through text (y'know, when I really put the effort in) because I try to consider stuff pretty carefully, and it turns out that weakening that inhibition to a small degree doesn't make me a brainlet, I just find it difficult to do consciously. Looks like grad school is gonna be an experience.

In both cases I'm stubborn as all hell and think pretty highly of my own opinion (I mean, really, why even have your own opinion if you don't think you're right?); I enjoy learning and try to be at least reasonably well-informed on topics that I find interesting. I like to inject and interject with savage or off-color commentary and, where possible, really get my point across super hard. Also I've got all kinds of alcohol- and drug-related stories that many people find fun to listen to and that I have fun relating; I've been told by a few people that I could be good on a stream or podcast.

All in all, I'd say I'm damn near the exact same online and off - but I have effectively no reason and incentive to respect somebody just because they have online authority and it tends to result in me giving way fewer fucks about what they might do to me. Especially if they're dickheads and/or making really stupid decisions, 'cause I love calling people out when they're definitively in the wrong. Lastly, I talk in teal in both cases and you can't technically prove me wrong.

The Hound

Just Monika
I'm quite the quiet shy boi IRL, but in terms of how I am I'm kind of the same. I think ever since I really matured and stopped being such a moody bitch people tend to think I'm stern and kind of stoic and in my friend group I'm one of the more intelligent guys (I know scary since you guys are so damn brilliant I feel like a dumbass a lot) so it seems like people come to me for advice. Mind you my current group of friends is 3-5 years younger than me.

The weirdest thing to me is that now that I'm buff people really seem to react to me differently.

Zircom

I'm one of the more intelligent guys (I know scary since you guys are so damn brilliant I feel like a dumbass a lot).
I feel some of that might be thanks to the veil of the internet, a lot of us can appear to offhandedly knowledgeable about numerous subjects when in reality we actually just google'd five seconds before posting¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Hound

Just Monika
I guess that could be true but then you guys are definitely better at googling things than me.

Plus just the sheer number of you guys who are going to school for/entering fields that just make my head spin.

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
I saw this thread last night and intended to make a post about how I'm not nearly as derpy in real life.

But this morning, I accidentally slept through my alarm by an hour and a half. Then I left my employee badge at my desk at work, which caused me to hold up the lunch line at work since I had to pay with a debit card. I accidentally pulled the debit card out of the card reader too soon, and the whole thing broke. The cashier had to reset the machine and it still didn't work, so they closed the register and switched to another. Twenty minutes later, I got a paper cut from a paper plate because I was too excited about eating a pastry.

The line between TC and Tyler is growing ever thinner.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
The line between TC and Tyler is growing ever thinner.
Implying the line was ever there.

I meant to answer this a while back, but honestly, nothing really changes between Jeroth and Dave. I'm usually thinking on how to spin something that was said into a witty joke. My friends are also dirty weebs, so it's not like we have to hide anything.

AndyM03

I definitely struggle with changing myself to fit the room. I'm never a completely different person, but what really changes is my mindset, I pretty much go from a passive person who can be outgoing, to a really outgoing person on a dime. So while that doesn't sound too different, my group dynamics between other friend groups is quite stark.

The core tenants of who I am though don't change though I guess. I always try to be polite, try not to shame others (banter culture can make this hard), and just generally try my best at shit. I suppose when i'm online it's hard for the outgoing drama student in me to shine, but it's also hard to be passive in any way since there's no real cost or restriction holding me back. I guess you could say my online personality is an amalgamation of who I am. Is it my true self? I wouldn't say so exactly, But it's pretty close.

What's funnier I would say is how my reddit comments reflect the subreddit i'm posting in. I wouldn't say I have a reddit persona at all though.

Top Bottom