List Your Top 5 Vidya of All Time

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Okay lets throw our opinions out there and then shit on each others taste.

Here's mine:

Paper Mario
Team Fortress 2
Undertale
Mass Effect 2
Morrowind

Honorable Mention: Final Fantasy 6, Mount&Blade Warband, Valiant Hearts

Last edited:

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Final Fantasy Tactics
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (with what is probably the best lightsaber combat in video game history)
Diablo II (the king of action RPGs)
Europa Universalis IV (even just considering hours, I'm obliged to put it up here; it's a grand strategy masterpiece)

Honorable mentions: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Pokemon Silver (not SoulSilver, because by the time it came out I was a jaded fuck), Megaman 2

It may seem weird for me not to have any first-person shooters, but I still haven't played the new DOOM, can't really give it to TF2 (and don't want to give it to Overwatch yet), and refuse to give it to Halo 3 on the grounds that while it had some solidly innovative shit going on for its time and could sell XBox Live memberships by itself, the game is now deader than dead. Rest in peace.

Dunsparce

My list of personal favorite games is vastly different from the games I think are objectively the best. For example, my personal favorite game of all time is Postal 2, and that game is, like, intentionally bad. But fuck it, here goes nothing.

#1 Postal 2
#2 World of Warcraft
(for like two months after each expansion gets released)
#3 Saints Row: The Third (I like it more than SR2, dwi tumut)
#4 Mario 64 (gotta have this, since it's the first game I ever played)
#5 Smash Bros. (every game's the same; pick whichever)

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
(1) World of Warcraft - It's a titan of a game and is still going. I have fond memories of it at all points in the expansion
(2) Persona 3 Portable/ Persona 5 - P3P had the great control options of the Persona Titles post 4 and Persona 5 was fantastic. With Persona 5 being recent, it's hard for me to decide. The emotional impact of Persona 3 was fantastic while Persona 5 had it's moments. If I had to choose, I'd go for Persona 5.
(3) Star Fox 64 - It's one of my favorite Nintendo 64 games and I still bust it out and play it from time to time. It was a simple on-rails shooter, but the cast was great and the music was fantastic. It was incredibly surreal to finally beat my brother's score a few years back.
(4) Majora's Mask - I hated it growing up and the eel level spooked me, but god damn man. That game was so dark for a Zelda game and did a great job for how it was made. It felt rewarding solving everyone's issues.

Tie for Fifth Place:
Undertale - Even with all the hype and the fandom making me hate it, I have to admit that I was obsessed with the music and the game. It's absolutely phenomenal given the amount of time and effort that Toby put into it.
Transistor - Bastion is usually given all of the hype with the narrator, but Transistor was fantastic. The setting was great, the protagonist was lovely and the ending shocked the hell out of me.

Honorable Mention: Pokemon Silver (Johto was cool and then you got to go back to Kanto? Fantastic stuff.), Phoenix Wright: Trials & Tribulations (Lovable Cast and I adore the music for Godot), Mass Effect 2, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Colonel Thunder

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
(and don't want to give it to Overwatch yet)
I bought the first 3 MGS games not long ago. I'm like three hours into the first game and loving it. Really looking forward to exploring that series.

I'm in the same boat as to Overwatch. It might replace TF2 in my list as time goes on, but it's way too early to put it there.

Fuckin oath mate, god was that game solid from start to finish.
I want more games where 80% of the game is slowly assuming a ragtag group of freaks and geeks for a high-stakes suicide mission.

I think the "formula" for the suicide mission could be improved upon, but I still really like it - especially the drastic consequences it has in the next game.

#3 Saints Row: The Third (I like it more than SR2, dwi tumut)
#4 Mario 64 (gotta have this, since it's the first game I ever played)
I loved watching Rob and Roamin play SR2. SR3 was just a bit too over-the-top for me though.

Love me some Mario 64. But that fish with the sunglasses in Little Big World? The one that can kill you in one bite? That was my second-worst childhood fear.

(1) (3) Star Fox 64
(4) Majora's Mask -
I hated it growing up and the eel level spooked me, but god damn man.
Transistor -
Star Fox 64 is probs in my Top Ten. Can't say it any better than you did. The cast, music, and horribly cheesy dialogue was amazing.

The eel level? Where you have to rescue Zora Eggs from giant Colossus sized sea snakes? Literally my number one childhood fear.

Transistor is also the shit. I listen to the soundtrack regularly. How you could modify combat was also severely under-appreciated.

Colonel Thunder

In other news, Blooky and I beat Shadow of the Colossus for the first time a few days back. Great game. Also, I'm bumping Final Fantasy 6 into my honorable mentions in order to make #5 Morrowind. Can't believe I forgot that one.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Star Fox 64 is probs in my Top Ten. Can't say it any better than you did. The cast, music, and horribly cheesy dialogue was amazing.
That and the built-in easy/medium/hard path and the capability of downgrading to an easier level to see a new one.

The eel level? Where you have to rescue Zora Eggs from giant Colossus sized sea snakes? Literally my number one childhood fear.
Yeah. I was terrified of it. It was also underwater, so I was terribly uncoordinated. Even as a grown man, I was nervous about that fighting the giant masked fish. It was worth it though.

Transistor is also the shit. I listen to the soundtrack regularly. How you could modify combat was also severely under-appreciated.
Transistor was fantastic. Also the fact of learning about the world through using certain techniques that relate to each individual in a different slot? That was brilliant.

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
1. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
2. Morrowind
3. Mass Effect Trilogy
4. Mount & Blade: Warband
5. Command & Conquer Red Alert 2

Runners up: Mechwarrior Online, Halo 2/Reach, Star Wars Republic Commando, Fable the Lost Chapters, , Titanfall 2, Destiny

Colonel Thunder

Transistor was fantastic. Also the fact of learning about the world through using certain techniques that relate to each individual in a different slot? That was brilliant.
Have you played Pyre? It's that company's new game. I'm sure it's great, but honestly all I want is some sort of Transistor prequel.

1. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
I romanced Kaiden in Mass Effect almost purely because I was nostalgic for Carth.

Requiem

And because Ash is a trash tier character in the first game. She gets mildly better in the third.

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
Kaiden always seemed a lot less cooler than Carth to me. He's always really whiny, but now that I'm thinking back about Carth most of the conversations I remember from him is whining too. Carth had the awesome soldiers versus warriors rant though.

Nothing like using your life debt to convince Zaalbar to kill Mission.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Have you played Pyre? It's that company's new game. I'm sure it's great, but honestly all I want is some sort of Transistor prequel.
I actually already beat it. It.. wasn't bad. I banged it out in a day. The cast was all right and the world was cool, but it didn't hit me like Transistor or Bastion.

Colonel Thunder

Nothing like using your life debt to convince Zaalbar to kill Mission.
Not. Cool.

I actually already beat it. It.. wasn't bad. I banged it out in a day. The cast was all right and the world was cool, but it didn't hit me like Transistor or Bastion.
That doesn't surprise me too much. Not every game from them can be a 10/10.

Requiem

In no particular order:

The Mass Effect series, I eagerly anticipated this series ever since I first saw the article on it in game informer years ago. It was revolutionary for the time. It's sad Bioware lost what made it great though.

Kingdom Hearts. If you told me that Square was gonna somehow put Disney characters like Donald, Goofy, and Mickey into a game with Cloud and Squall from Final Fantasy and the main character would be an OC who used a fuck huge key to slap the shit out of cartoony monster shits... and then make all of that put together actually WORK? I would have laughed, but give it a shot nonetheless. That's exactly what I did and while the plot is nonsense now, the game play still holds up, especially with all of the games being bundled together into one single massive release for the PS4. It's nuts.

Chrono Trigger. You're probably seeing a theme here, RPGs. This is one of the most solid games out there. The game is strong. The characters are all likable, even the villains, the time travel mechanics are explained well and don't ever break their own rules, the overall threat that the cast faces is especially terrifying because it's essentially just a force of nature (or is it?) and that's fantastic. Just a ton of great things, I can't say enough about this game.

Star Ocean 2. One of the greatest games ever made by Enix/Tri-Ace before they got bought up by Square to create Square-Enix. The beginning is a slog, but after that, the pace is perfect. The cast gets made by your own choices, not counting the two main characters. You're literally allowed to just play with the two of them throughout the whole game if you choose to. The ending changes based on how your characters feel towards one another as well. The secret dungeon in this one is amazing and as most Enix games do, they reference other games of theirs, like Valkyrie Profile. The combat is fantastic for a PS1 game. It really had no business being so good.

The Final Fantasy series and its spin offs. Again, another set of RPGs. Square pretty much made my childhood. If it's not FF7 being my first game I really remember anything of, it's staying up until 4 in the morning to be the first one in the family to beat FF9 and being floored by the ending and how satisfying it was. If it wasn't watching my brother punch a hole through his door for saving over his perfect FFTactics file it was me getting Cloud to level 99 before the second reactor to get Zack as a playable character because I got tricked as a little kid by a rumor on line I found in a massive print off of "cheats" and tips in my step brother's room. FF is just my all around series and it's had so many ups and downs. It's truly an amazing series and deserves a lot of praise as a whole. It revolutionized the RPG for the better part of two decades and while it's floundering right now, I'm still eagerly looking forward to where it goes in the future.

Honorable mentions: Halo, Pokémon, Destiny, Half-Life, Hearthstone, Warcraft 3, Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne, the Bioshock series, the Dragon Age series, damn near everything on the Nintendo 64, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout 4 (I'd say the Fallout series, but I could never get the other games to run so...), Jade Empire, Alpha Protocol, Front Mission 3, Pokémon as a whole, Asscreed, Bastion, KOTOR obviously.

I know there's more, but I figure once you start drawing a blank, it's time to stop. This was fun.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I never romanced Ashley.

'cause the game won't let you romance a smoking crater.
I didn't really care for either of them, but Ashley was clearly prettier so RIP Kaiden.

In no particular order:

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance is simply the best RTS. Sure, there's a huge learning curve even compared to other RTS games, but in this case, that's because there's just so much stuff to work with and the maps can get friggin' huge. Unlike other titles in the genre, everything's set up to minimize the amount of micromanagement you need to put in: you got one type of resource for building forces, which you need to control map space for, and another that you need to power everything and also build forces, which can be generated anywhere. Both are streamed to storage automatically, because personally directing all your raw material movement yourself while there's battles tryna be waged upon your doorstep is some tedious, bothersome business that really oughtta be delegated elsewhere. Wanna set up an automatic patrol route for your sentries/radar/subs/scouts? No problem; you're just a few clicks away from having them circle around however convoluted a path you like. Heck, you can even have them automatically do it right out of the factory, for as long as the factory keeps making them, ad infinitum - cause not only can you queue units at 1, 5, or 100 per click at will but even infinite production loop is an option as well, making infinite batches of whatever mix and proportion of units you set it to make and sending them wherever you tell it to send them - which itself could be an LZ for some automated transports to run your preset pick-up/drop-off points. (Yeah, Br0merdinger wasn't expecting a ground assault on that air base, now was he?) As far as I'm aware, these kinds of features don't appear in other games of the genre even today, though it's now been over two decades since Total Annihilation first introduced them.

Europa Universalis IV is the actual king of replay value - no contest. It's also Best In Class - no contest. (Civ is to EU as wine coolers are to... hmm... I'm thinking, maybe Jameson.)

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt gets my pick for Best RPG World. I'm pretty sure I've already said more than enough as to why, though, so I'll go ahead and refrain from elaborating any further. (Besides, I wouldn't know where to stop.)

Overwatch gets my vote for shooter, I'm gonna go ahead and make that call. Is it actually the best shooter ever yet? Well, I dunno about that - but it's the best one still being widely and actively played right now. Also, it's just a fun take on FPS in general.

Super Smash Bros (pick one): I'll second this vote. It's what 2-D arcade style games should be: early on in life, you and your friends get together in a basement and play Smash Bros while staying up and eating junk food. Later on in life, you and your friends get together in a living room and play Smash Bros while staying up and getting wasted. Used sparingly, it pretty much never gets old, and remains at least a pretty good fallback to having any actual plans for the evening (beyond meeting up and eating junk food, and/or getting wasted).

Honorable mentions: Conker's Bad Fur Day, the Mass Effect trilogy, and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, for their place(s) in RPG history. 007 Goldeneye, Halo: Combat Evolved, and Halo 2, for their contributions to FPS history. Guns of Icarus (RIP) - shame it didn't get more players more quickly, cause I feel like getting on and finding at least a few hundred other people online would have, in itself, been enough to get a lot more people logging onto that game. Rocket League is in many ways the Smash Bros of its time, and is one of the few games you can have a proper split-screen festival with on a PC - but its replay value is just not at the same level, because there's only so much of driving go-karts into giant soccer balls that you can do before it gets really repetitive. DOOM really nailed its attempt to bring back the old-school shooter and make it anew, except that the multiplayer is pretty meh overall.

And that's about all the mentions, I think.

Top Bottom