Ended Lotus's Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Mafia [Beastman Victory]

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Fun af.

Unfortunately, also imba af, not that that's news. Needs tweaking/10, but would definitely play again.

Requiem

Fun af.

Unfortunately, also imba af, not that that's news. Needs tweaking/10, but would definitely play again.
Pretty much this. Not much more needs to be said. Let's just treat this as like an alpha run of this kind of game. It'll get better and better as Lotus and people develop it over time.

I think, just as a suggestion for the general feel of the game, if we're going to have roleclaim abilities and the like, I think it makes sense to give all of the Town roles roleclaim abilities. You get to strategize on when is best to sacrifice your anonymity for overall role advantage. Having only Kamina with a role claim ability is a bit out there because later on, even Simon starts just announcing himself to the big bad. Tying SP gain to Kamina (even if there were other ways to get SP after the fact) without giving Simon a similar effect seemed a bit odd as Simon heavily surpasses Kamina after a certain point. Seemed a missed game mechanic, imho.

But again, all it needs a little bit of work, that's all. In terms of how much fun I actually had, even if I didn't get to post much overall, this was great, great fun and not just because it was TTGL themed.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
You know, if not for that the town probably would have gained enough spiral power to whoop us 1v1. We had no idea that targeting Req would hit you, and we intentionally left you alone for the late-game out of fear of what would happen if you died. Plus CP decided to engage with you nearly every time you posted, lol.
You're forgetting Lordgenome's whopping 155 starting stat point total.
I just thought you were really into the game. Although it worked out for me, because it got spiral power to the point where I could start day and night attacking people.
Hilarious that regardless of coolpools alignment, hes being super pro town by arguing with you
Even more hilarious that I'm being super pro town by creating and perpetuation a situation where he's being super pro town by arguing with me.
Also, what? Only Team Dai-Gurren was supposed to gain SP from my shitposting.

Requiem

This seems like it would just result in everyone claiming immediately, and then all of the lynches are automatically figured out.
Not with the Spiral Power mechanic. I'm not saying there shouldn't be layers to it, but roleclaim abilities would still be nice to have for later in the game to use. As the GM, you give incentive to both using and not using the ability. It's more a trade off. Though I will agree that maybe giving the whole Town roleclaim abilities has its issues. They can be worked through or solved, I think. At least giving role claim abilities to characters like Simon, Yoko, and Kittan would make sense, I believe. Or other equivalent roles in other Mafia games of this type.

Also, what? Only Team Dai-Gurren was supposed to gain SP from my shitposting.
Coolpool didn't get any SP from Town, it's just that once the Town hit 20+ SP, Lordgenome was able to get into Lazengann and fight us directly rather than leaving it up to the Generals.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I think, just as a suggestion for the general feel of the game, if we're going to have roleclaim abilities and the like, I think it makes sense to give all of the Town roles roleclaim abilities. You get to strategize on when is best to sacrifice your anonymity for overall role advantage. Having only Kamina with a role claim ability is a bit out there because later on, even Simon starts just announcing himself to the big bad. Tying SP gain to Kamina (even if there were other ways to get SP after the fact) without giving Simon a similar effect seemed a bit odd as Simon heavily surpasses Kamina after a certain point. Seemed a missed game mechanic, imho.
You're just thinking of the flavor, though. Mechanics-wise, it's not gonna be a good game if a bunch of people can confirm themselves Town whenever they like.

Requiem

Though I will agree that maybe giving the whole Town roleclaim abilities has its issues. They can be worked through or solved, I think. At least giving role claim abilities to characters like Simon, Yoko, and Kittan would make sense, I believe. Or other equivalent roles in other Mafia games of this type.

Lotus

I had Simon picking up Kamina's abilities once Kamina died at first, but I dropped those because I felt it was unbalancing after considering that 1/3 of the Town would have roleclaim powers.

FD(Nia) also had a roleclaim power, but never got around to using it.

I for some reason thought that the 24 hour phase limit wouldn't inhibit the play at all. My main concern was that I knew that nobody would die the first, and maybe even second day depending on how much SP was acquired. If I had the 72 hour limit that most games had, a whole week or more would go by with no deaths. I worried people would lose interest.

I also expected the roles with death powers to actually come forward at points during play and try to draw lynches so they could use their powers. That didn't happen at all.

Simon's damage being transferred to Kamina is in Simon's Lagann Impact ability. I just forgot to put it in Kamina's Combine ability as well so that knowledge was, well, available.

I realized by night 3 that I'd majorly screwed up with the double witch.

With Viral, it probably would have just been fine to give him the +stats on general death, gaining their abilities was by far excess.

I probably should have also come forth with the actual mechanics of how the stats work, but I didn't want people to focus too hard on the concept of the 'perfect build'. It's a thing that always aggravates me in any tabletop game. [Min-Maxers, I loathe you.]

My thinking on the various death powers was that they were strong enough to shift the game in Humanities favor whenever they were used, if they were aimed properly. (they each double stats and have piercing. (Boota's had a revive) Yoko's ability was a way for the town, after claiming various powers, could easily access death powers without wasting lynches on their own. Perhaps was not such a great idea on my part, as this sort of play didn't happen at all.

Tag_Ross

Honestly, if the game went far enough and we killed the correct Mafia roles I could have solo'd the entire Mafia, it just would have taken forever.

Also, there weren't any roleclaim powers on the Mafia, that gave them no benefit to claiming, which they couldn't do anyways, and confirming easy as kamina(instead of confirming that kamina has confirmed his role) also made counterclaims impossible. In short, it was easy for the Mafia to stay hidden when almost half the players were Mafia and were able to coordinate their play in silence, and the town's more powerful roles basically had to tell everyone who they were if they wanted to use their abilities, which made it even easier for the highly coordinated Mafia to eliminate the more powerful roles early. I like the idea of roleclaim powers and death powers, but in this game I feel they were out of place the way they were implemented.

You also forgot to deal damage to rayeon from walrus's Lynch on day 1, which made walrus look like a human with no power (I think this was a bitch move by walrus for not not pointing out the fact and playing off the GM's mistake, claiming he started with no damage)

It was a fun game, but the game felt like it was balanced towards having kamina survive longer, but with him taking damage for Simon, and the high power of the Mafia makes him an obvious target, and with their power to redirect two players, block one, and watch a fourth, it wouldn't have taken them more than two nights to find out who could possibly be the doctor if I hadn't told as much as I could without claiming.

Walrus

To clarify: I made the 0 power claim at a time when the Mafia was convinced that my attack did 0 damage for an unknown but legitimate reason. We only found out that it was a GM mistake hours after I made the claim to cover the indescrepency.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Simon's damage being transferred to Kamina is in Simon's Lagann Impact ability. I just forgot to put it in Kamina's Combine ability as well so that knowledge was, well, available.
It's... not. According to the description, as written, that starts happening after Kamina dies.

As for the death powers - well, they were strong, but they weren't nearly strong enough to be actually worth dying for. Arguably excepting Boota's, that is. Though that also came at a cost of not having very much of a useful regular ability.

Last edited:

Tag_Ross

To clarify: I made the 0 power claim at a time when the Mafia was convinced that my attack did 0 damage for an unknown but legitimate reason. We only found out that it was a GM mistake hours after I made the claim to cover the indescrepency.
Probably should have asked if there was a reason you did no damage after rayeon said he didn't take damage instead of assuming there was a reason, I had to ask if I was redirected or if my target was switched since my power semi-ignores the speed stat.

Whitetiger

Honestly, if the game went far enough and we killed the correct Mafia roles I could have solo'd the entire Mafia, it just would have taken forever.
How so? We could have roleblocked you so you couldn't heal yourself, and your innate heal rate only activates at the end of the night. If we one-shot you with myself (15 damage), gaume (25 damage) and lordgenome (25 damage) all at the same time, then you would have been fucked. LordGenome can also attack the next day (because he could attack once per day/night cycle, so if he attacked at night he can attack the next day) to do another 25 damage. Plus like 7-9 damage worth of lynches.

(I think this was a bitch move by walrus for not not pointing out the fact and playing off the GM's mistake, claiming he started with no damage)
Yeah but he had no way of knowing for sure that it was a GM fuckup. He probably thought somebody nullified the damage of his lynch or some shit. Granted he should have asked first.

Tag_Ross

That's why we would have had to kill the right two people, so I couldn't be roleblocked, and the game would have had to go on long enough for me to buff my defenses so I could survive the day phase, protect+heal myself, then regen to full again.

If we one-shot you with myself (15 damage), gaume (25 damage) and lordgenome (25 damage) all at the same time, then you would have been fucked.
Wait, so what does the defense stat do if I would take full damage from your attacks?

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Oh. And my take on the 24hr limit and the no-unlynch rule. I actually see those as being perfectly valid mechanics in/of themselves. The Kamina role gets more OP the longer day phase limits are, and the prevalence of no-death phases really did make the pacing important. It's another couple of town nerfs, though, so that's important to keep in mind while balancing. But I do feel that an ideal version of the game should probably still include both of those restrictions.

Also, goddamn but do I wish that I'd stuck to my guns and Giga Drilled Coolpool. (No homo.)

Walrus

To clarify further: It was a communications error. I was skeptical of error but I interpreted Lotus not correcting us in the beastmen strategy chat when we talked about the 0 damage implications and why it might have happened (I even mentioned my doubts that this was caused by any role power) as proof that there was no error.

So everyone was well intentioned but we didn't communicate quite right. I Should have more directly asked Lotus about the Ray case.

Last edited:
Top Bottom