Maelstrom's Hearthstone CHALLENGE CUP

Maelstrom

Alright, you nerf herders, it's tournament time! Here's the break-down:

GRAND PRIZE: Overwatch on PC or an equivalent item from Blizzard's shop (examples include StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void, Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition, etc.); unfortunately, nothing Hearthstone related, since that stuff can't be gifted! Also, you win bragging rights in the form of a sweet site trophy.
SECOND PLACE: $20 worth of Steam stuff; be it TF2 keys, Torchlight II, Rocket League... just let me know!
THIRD PLACE: $5 worth of Steam stuff and Maelstrom will draw you something. This used to be the booby prize but now has actual monetary value! Go thank AndyM03.

Of course, this goes by a "winner picks" system, so I guess if the first place winner really, really wanted the booby prize, they can opt for that (and then second place will be bumped up as will third place). Also, these prizes can be gifted, so if you're feeling especially kind, you can ship it off to a designated substitute.

Now, onto the specifics. There will be a number of rounds based on the number of entrants and each round will have some dumbass deckbuilding rules to even the playing field a bit. Don't think you can bum rush into the tournament with your Standard Midrange Shaman deck! What this also means is that if you don't play Hearthstone, that's okay! You can join in regardless with a starter account and maybe you'll somehow durdle your way to victory. Cheating will, of course, lead to disqualification (and your opponent will win the round), unless explicitly allowed.

Oh yeah, one last thing. I'm not giving up these prizes easily. At the very end of the tournament, the last one standing is gonna be facing me. You lose, and that Grand Prize is gonna be aaall mine. So sharpen your teeth and come at me, bro. I'll be waiting at the top.

ENTRANTS (post your BattleTags here):
AndyM03 - Andym03#1509
coolpool2 - Coolpool2#1981
Jeroth - Norosin#1568
Tirin - Tirin777#1173
Rondait - Rondait#1804
Colonel Thunder - CanadaGDP#1741
The Hound - SideshowBob#1722
Tag_Ross - Tagross#1392
Warthermair - MagiFred#1633
Anatronman - Anatronman#1248

ROUNDS:
First Round: Build a deck with only Basic cards and five common cards from any Standard set (excluding Adventures). For this round, Mage is banned. A deadline for decklist submissions will be posted; get ready to be pestered on Battle.net!
----Winners: The Hound, AndyM03, Warthermair, Rondait, Anatronman
Redemption Round: Time to fully embrace the RNG! Once match-ups for the first round are posted, send me a message on who you think the winners will be (excluding you)! The one closest to the correct answer will move onto the Second Round. Ties will be settled via cagematch (die roll).
----Winner: Tirin
Second Round: ?
Redemption Round: ?
Third Round: ?
Fourth Round: ?
FINAL ROUND (vs. Maelstrom): It's just a regular Wild game! By this time, even the newest of players should have enough dust to craft a single Wild card (which will make them eligible for Wild). Warning: My deck will contain Legendaries and will otherwise be fully blinged out, so just hope that I play like trash.

CURRENT MATCH-UPS:
To be decided!

Last edited:

AndyM03

I'm in boss
AndyM03 - Andym03#1509
I'll pitch in like $15 bucks for the prizes, this is really cool of you dude. We should definitely stream the rounds, surely none of us would cheat? Good commentary can make any game worth watching, even if the other lads don't like Hearthstone.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
This is pretty neat, kind of you to offer prizes. I'm not the best at hearthstone, but I'm game.

Coolpool2#1981

Maelstrom

I'm in boss
AndyM03 - Andym03#1509
I'll pitch in like $15 bucks for the prizes, this is really cool of you dude. We should definitely stream the rounds, surely none of us would cheat? Good commentary can make any game worth watching, even if the other lads don't like Hearthstone.
Stream the games, huh? Sounds good! Actually, don't tell anyone this, but one of the rounds will involve cheating.

Ohh, I'll poke you about adding to the pot over Battle.net. This'll smooth out the prize curve a lot (we won't be adding to the top, since there's a chance I can win it). Big ups!

Last edited:

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Ohh, I'll poke you about adding to the pot over Battle.net. This'll smooth out the prize curve a lot (we won't be adding to the top, since there's a chance I can win it). Big ups!
I misread that as "pizza curve"

Requiem

I don't play Hearthstone, but if whoever wins first place already has overwatch, I'd like to put my hat in for it to be gifted to me. Do whatever you like with it, of course, but I know I won't be able to buy it myself for a looong time. It'd be cool to be able to play with you guys.

The Hound

Just Monika
Interested in seeing what the rule set is, and I'm definitely glad no Midrange Shaman dominance even though I've found a decent counter to it.

SideshowBob#1722

Oh and Req if I win you can have my copy of Overwatch, I've never really been a huge fan of hero shooters and you'd probably get more enjoyment out of it. I'm just looking for some fun Hearthstone action out of this.

Maelstrom

I don't play Hearthstone, but if whoever wins first place already has overwatch, I'd like to put my hat in for it to be gifted to me. Do whatever you like with it, of course, but I know I won't be able to buy it myself for a looong time. It'd be cool to be able to play with you guys.
Looks like Bob's already got you covered, but you should join in anyways, ya goof. The rules for at least the first couple of rounds will be set up so that even fresh accounts have a decent chance to win. Plus, if you join, we'll have the full eight initial roster, so I can start finalizing dates.

Requiem

I'll see what I can do then. I don't have a lot of time, but if I can make it work, I will.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
GRAND PRIZE: Overwatch on PC or an equivalent item from Blizzard's shop (examples include StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void, Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition, BlizzCon 2016 Virtual Ticket, etc.); unfortunately, nothing Hearthstone related, since that stuff can't be gifted! Also, you win bragging rights in the form of a sweet site trophy.
Cheating will, of course, lead to disqualification (and your opponent will win the round).
Stream the games, huh? Sounds good! Actually, don't tell anyone this, but one of the rounds will involve cheating.
Oh yeah, one last thing. I'm not giving up these prizes easily. At the very end of the tournament, the last one standing is gonna be facing me. You lose, and that Grand Prize is gonna be aaall mine. So sharpen your teeth and come at me, bro. I'll be waiting at the top.
I'm waiting for this to be an elaborate ruse just so that Mael could rationalize buying a new game.

Maelstrom

I'm waiting for this to be an elaborate ruse just so that Mael could rationalize buying a new game.
Ahahaha, fair. I didn't even catch that. I've gone ahead and amended the post.

But man, what a ruse that would be! I'd do it, too, if it wasn't so feel-bad.

Warthermair

I'll be tossing my hat in the ring as well. MagiFred #1633

This going to be Standard or Wild format, and what type of tournament play? Do I need to start practicing 3 decks, or just 1 uber one?

AndyM03

I'll be tossing my hat in the ring as well. MagiFred #1633

This going to be Standard or Wild format, and what type of tournament play? Do I need to start practicing 3 decks, or just 1 uber one?

Now, onto the specifics. There will be a number of rounds based on the number of entrants and each round will have some dumbass deckbuilding rules to even the playing field a bit. Don't think you can bum rush into the tournament with your Standard Midrange Shaman deck! What this also means is that if you don't play Hearthstone, that's okay! You can join in regardless with a starter account and maybe you'll somehow durdle your way to victory. Cheating will, of course, lead to disqualification (and your opponent will win the round), unless explicitly allowed.
Different rules each time, so possible Standard some rounds and wild others. Depends what drug Maelstrom is on at the time.

Anatronman

I was totally planning to enter this but was trying not to post while I was lurking in Spyfall Mafia.

Anatronman#1248

Maelstrom

Alright, boyos, we've got a pretty full roster and it's been a while since the announcement, so we (I) better get crackin'. The tournament will be roughly a week from now during the first weekend of November (I'm gonna spend next week gauging everyone's availability; free up your schedules!). Last call for sign-ups will probably happen this Sunday.

I'll also be posting the rulesets for both the first and final round (vs. me!) soon.

Top Bottom