Continuous Mafia Sign-Ups & Discussion Mega Thread

Dunsparce

I'd sign up as long as Firedemon isn't allowed to play, and if the grimm mechanic gets drastically reduced if not outright expunged.

Firedemon

I'd sign up as long as Firedemon isn't allowed to play
It's not like lurking is even new in the community and we've never banned anyone before. It's also not like I didn't participate - I didn't needlessly hold up any night phases and did take an active role in planning mafia actions. Easy can attest to that. I just (for reasons I stated after the game) had a perfect confluence of failure for a game that effectively lasted two day phases.

Edit: (Which, given our propensity to do things like that due to the smaller and role madness games these days, is reason additional reason for the following actually)

For what it's worth, I wasn't going to play anyways if it's in the near future, because I'm about to spend a lot of late nights writing about the last year's worth of science. Same reason I won't be /in on Naruto Mafia

Lynch FD's Life

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I'd sign up as long as Firedemon isn't allowed to play, and if the grimm mechanic gets drastically reduced if not outright expunged.
I actually won't be changing Grimm all that much, apart from a substantial reduction in their scaling for HP per level. The Defense stat scaling will stay the same, because I felt like it hit almost exactly the right levels of "this is where multi-attack characters are super effective, this is where big-attack characters are super effective" that I was going for. The Attack stat scaling will stay the same, and overall spawn rates will either change very slightly or not at all.

Mafia A/D stats will get a slight reduction, and the "Dual-Wielder" passive will get replaced with "Multi-Attack" and switched around to different characters, as part of an overall stat rearrangement in general. This is aimed at pulling that off in such a way as to not cause any significant shifts in power balance overall, but make it hard for RWBY fanboi fgts like me to use meta-knowledge to figure out which characters/players have it.

Lastly, Firedemon ain't banned. All jokes aside, I can actually confirm that he was consistently active in the scum chat, and only failed to get posts in during consecutive Day phases because said phases were unusually short. (Postscriptum: I won't be changing that about the game, either. I appreciate being a Mafia perfectionist at least as much as the next guy, and way more than most, but honestly we've been having way too many multi-week Day phases in our Mafia games lately. Giving Townies unlimited daytime to hunt the Mafia is neither fun, nor particularly challenging. It just takes what's supposed to be a battle of wits, and turns it into an endurance contest.)

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Hey, all! A little bit late on my end, but we were recently set an invitation to the Mafia World Championships by @Thingyman. Here's a copy of it for anyone who's interested.

INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 5)

Hello there! :)

It is with great pleasure that I hereby invite your community to take part in Season 5 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual forum tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.

The whole thing started back in 2013, and since then more than 225 different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.

I hope it sounds like a fun and exciting event :)

1. DO YOU ACCEPT THE INVITE?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to me as soon as you can to ensure yourselves a spot.

If you agree to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is May 1. If this is too soon for you to decide on anyone, let me know and we can work something out.

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes

• You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
  • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
  • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.

2. SEASON 5 FORMAT

The tournament structure

• 170 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
  • 10 Qualifying Games will be played, consisting of 17 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifying Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st place will advance directly to the Finale Game (i.e. 10 of the 17 finalists are found this way), while the 2nd places will advance directly to one of the two Wildcard Games.
  • A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 4 will discuss and vote to determine 25 players in total deserving of a second chance: 1 will advance directly to the finale, and the 24 other players will play in 2 Wildcard Games along with the 2nd places that advanced directly to these. From each game, three players will directly advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote.
  • The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 5 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.
The setup explained very briefly (more details on host site)

This (view picture below) is a semi-open grid setup meant for 17 players: 4 mafia versus 13 townies. First you randomly select a number to decide the mafia team's composition of Power Roles (1-2), then you randomly select a letter to decide the town's composition of Power Roles (A-E). Fill in the number of Vanilla Townies needed to make the town team have 13 members total, and you have your setup.

*Town Jack of All Trades: 1x Vigilante, 1x Roleblocker, 1x Tracker.

Relevant mechanics info

• Day start.
  • Deadline Lynch w/ Option for Majority starting Day 2. I.e. when day timer runs out, person with most votes will be lynched. However, day can also be ended early (starting Day 2) if there is ever a majority of votes on one person.
  • If there is a tied lynch, one of the tied players will be randomly lynched.
  • No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).
  • Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (I’ll organize them into games with deadlines that suit their preferences).
  • Thread is locked during Night Phases.

3. SEASON 5 TIMELINE

There will be 10 Qualifying Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates during the months of May and June. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.

Wildcard games will be played in July, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone).

Kind regards,

Thingyman

If you want to get in contact with me ASAP, you can find me on Discord (Thingyman#6075).

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
For extra irony, practically everyone else here called at least one of the scum Day, 1 in commentary on that game, whereas I put every one of them near the bottom of my list.

We should definitely throw @Colonel Thunder at them this time.

Ro Ro Ro

I'm slightly interested in being the nomination. I feel like I would be hardpressed to make 10 posts per day phase, especially early on in the game, but I see no reason not to send someone. It's also been a while since I played a game of mafia outside of this community, and would like to see how bad I still am.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
I'm fine with Ro as a nomination; I think that he or TC are both decent choices, even if ones that are unlikely to win. Then again, not sure any of us really would be.

Top Bottom