Male Seeking Quality Single Player Action Adventure that Loves XBoning

Requiem

If you ever wanna play some stuff online, let me know. I know you're looking for single player stuff, but really, I don't care if people are good at games, I just like playing them with people, mistakes and fails included. Destiny is cool and I have the Division, but I'd be willing to check out other stuff as well.

Steal Thy Kill

Okay, so, I know that Witcher 3 is god's gift to gaming, but is it worth going back and grabbing Witcher 2? Like, if only as a trial run for massive RPGs like this.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
What Req said is 100% true. But now that you (presumably) have started with TW3, I'd say it just depends how cheap you can get it for. If it's only a couple bucks, neat, that's worth it. Anything over $10 or so, and you may end up being a little disappointed.

It's actually still a really good game, but TW3 just outshines it pretty big time.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Solid play. It's also gonna be super duper helpful for explaining the setting that TW3 starts off with, which is a welcome bonus.

Whitetiger

For whatever reason I didn't enjoy The Witcher 2. I got to the first village that let you truly explore and I just was overwhelmed and didn't really know what paths to take. I remember running into mobs that were way stronger than me and getting frustrated by the combat system once or twice I never ended up playing more than 3 hours of it. Also there were very few checkpoints throughout the entire introductory sequence and I remember dying to some bullshit and having to replay the entire thing over again. The game is critically acclaimed from what I hear though, so it's probably just me being picky or maybe super open world games just aren't my cup of tea nowadays.

I've been dipping my toes into Witcher 3 every few weeks and just doing a quest or two at a time and it's been going pretty well though. Once I have had my fill of XCOM I may go back to it. I'd definitely recommend it even with my limited experience of it.

Also the cinematic opening for Witcher 2 beats the hell out of Witcher 3's. The Assassin of Kings guy was fucking badass.

Requiem

For whatever reason I didn't enjoy The Witcher 2. I got to the first village that let you truly explore and I just was overwhelmed and didn't really know what paths to take. I remember running into mobs that were way stronger than me and getting frustrated by the combat system once or twice I never ended up playing more than 3 hours of it. Also there were very few checkpoints throughout the entire introductory sequence and I remember dying to some bullshit and having to replay the entire thing over again. The game is critically acclaimed from what I hear though, so it's probably just me being picky or maybe super open world games just aren't my cup of tea nowadays.
Basically, games like these have one thing in common sometimes that throws off players. It's the same problem with Dragon Age: Inquisition. I don't know how heavily this works for TW2, just because I never really got a chance to play it (I had my hands on it for a few hours, but my buddy who owned it took it back to the store as it wasn't his cup of tea either), but with DA:I, the first zone where you really get to explore and do things is so massive in scope that you think it wants you to just go anywhere and do anything, when really it wants you to feel out the zones, find the lower level areas, do those, go advance the story, then go to the higher level zones. Most people are completionists, however, so they want to just do whole zones in one go.

Game developers don't generally get this fact. It's great to have massive levels and worlds, sure, but if players are all mostly going to play the games in a certain way, the massive levels have to be designed in such a way that you don't turn people off for doing "the wrong thing" in what is essentially a sandbox game for RPGs. There shouldn't be a wrong thing to do in the first level of a game, but in DA:I, if you really wanted to, you could run straight to a dragon that can easily kill you at level 4 without knowing that's the case. They bar players from doing certain things or going certain places by killing them and making them get a game over screen, rather than naturally leading them away from the places they may not be ready for. In a game that asks you to spend hours doing certain things, it sucks to just get killed (though really, you should be saving like mad anyways, but that's neither here nor there).

I can't speak for TW2 when it comes to this, Easy and the others will have that covered, but with Inquisition, it's smart to pull back and not worry about doing everything in one go. If you don't do that, you end up doing the first level for like 5-10 hours when you play it blind trying to just "do everything".

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Also the cinematic opening for Witcher 2 beats the hell out of Witcher 3's. The Assassin of Kings guy was fucking badass.
That guy, Letho, is one of my favorite characters of ever. If you ever end up going back and getting to the end of that game, you'll get to fully appreciate why.

So, the Part 1 backwater town, Flotsam, does have a bit of an issue with some too-strong MOBsters around. I totally understand why they had to do that, though. Flotsam kind of drags on for a while, mostly for legitimate reasons, but some that admittedly felt a little bit filler-like. Either way, they had to include some parts of it that would still be somewhat challenging by the time you left. Nothing extreme like DA:I's dragons (or, some of the tougher surprise rift-holes around the Hinderlands area, which would totally kick that dragon's ass), because you never go back to Flotsam after leaving. But definitely some things that you'd have to play really perfectly to beat when you're first going in. (Personally, I'd played TW1 already going in, so I could pretty much tell on sight which monsters were probably too tough to take on without a couple more levels, and which weren't, so I didn't end up being terribly affected - but I can see how players who didn't have that kind of knowledge could find it problematic).

Me, I took the Roche path out of Flotsam, and found Parts 2 and 3 to be a really good, interesting time. I haven't (yet) gone back and tried the dirtly elf stink Iorveth's path. I'm told that if you do, it leads to a downright amazing Part 2, but transitions sort of awkwardly into Part 3.

Either way, the pacing and style of the reveals, as Geralt works on chipping away at the mystery of what the fuck is going on behind the scenes of all these assassinations, should end up engaging and keeping your interest really well - though it might take until after Flotsam for that to really start happening.

As for the intro sequence, most of it is totally skippable. I actually really liked it, though. Between Foltest's gruff charisma, Geralt's negotiations with La Fallette ("And who's going to guarantee our safety if we agree?" [flatly, shaking head] "No one."), and of course them Triss's boobs, well... safe to say that if the cinematic intro hadn't piqued my interest already, the prologue totally would have. That said, it can also be really tough, since you can't pick your fights and you start off without any gear (except people loading in a TW1 save, who potentially have a cool sword) or skill-point customization to speak of.

If you're like me, and insist on doing the hardest difficulty* all the time as a matter of principle, I can totally see how that would get frustrating. If you've got no problem with turning it down to easymode for the sake of enjoyment, it really ought to be fine. To this end, the tutorial sequence (should you choose to go through it), will recommend a difficulty level based on your combat performance at the end.

...shit, I've totally convinced myself. I'm gonna go back and do a Iorveth's playthrough now.

But, hey. Even if you find yourself actually not liking TW2, you really can't not love TW3. Clearly, I liked TW2 - but I've only put about 60 hours into it. For comparison, I've got over 430 hours put into TW3. (Playthrough, followed by replay into the first expansion, mind you). For whatever need there is to say that at this point.

Also. Side-note: I dunno if you can switch the language settings around on a console. But if so, I'd really recommend going with the Polish dub and subtitles over the English dub. The English VA isn't terrible or anything, but... it's just a lot less good. Obviously that's easy for me to say, on account of knowing the language anyway, but I got American friends that can back me up here. Just a suggestion.

*(Except for the ones that make you start the game over when you die. The hell with that business).

Last edited:

Requiem

You can still kill that dragon before you go to another zone. It just takes the grind and a lot of tries.
Yeah, I understand, but it's clear that Bioware didn't want you to do the grind at all. They wanted you to do the game piecemeal, chip away at the Hinterlands, go get the specific group you want, unlock the Orlais side of the map, and then go back to fully exploring everything, included starting up the dragon hunts.

Once you've beaten the game, you can see why Bioware made the design choices they did, how it does in a way naturally keep you from going into difficult zones, but your first blind playthrough of the game won't let you see all those things. It makes you feel overwhelmed. Bioware even had to put out a brief statement when Inquisition was released telling players to get out of the Hinterlands, haha. All of the data they were getting basically told them that most players after 10 hours or so were still in the Hinterlands and hadn't progressed. It was hilarious!

The Hound

Just Monika
If you want to play something like a Bathesda game but completely less daunting and with better combat try Kingdoms of Amalur. Gorgeous game, great combat (compared to Bathesda), far more linear (compared to Skyrim), and should be cheap as hell since they boneheadedly tried to release the same time as Skyrim and got blown out of the water. It's the last RPG I actually enjoyed, since so many RPG's these days expect you to put in 100+ hours, Amular can be beaten in less than 30 hours. It also has an expansion that adds another 10 or so hours.

TimTh33nchant3r

@Easy Iorveth for days. 10/10. Squirrels for the win in TW1 too. Aerondight and G'valchir totes worth for TW2 playthrough.

@Requiem Yeah, but when you kill that fucker and get some sweet gear for your level... worth. 10/10, would dragonslay again.

Requiem

I waited until the end of my first play through to kill all of the dragons and let me tell you, that was a bad idea. I just stomped all of them, even the hard ones. That was when I was using the mage knight subclass, whatever it's called. It was extremely OP back then and is still really strong right now.

TimTh33nchant3r

That was when I was using the mage knight subclass, whatever it's called. It was extremely OP back then and is still really strong right now.
You ain't lyin'. My first playthrough was a Vashoth Mage who classed into Arcane Warrior and subsequently just lightsabered everything to death. That damage to shields passive is mega-OP, especially in conjunction with the saber's bonus vs. armor/shields. Also crowds. Crowds were my bitches.

Requiem

Yeah, it's crazy how they basically a Jedi in dragon age. I'm not even mad because it's impressive, overpowered or not.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
@Easy Iorveth for days. 10/10. Squirrels for the win in TW1 too. Aerondight and G'valchir totes worth for TW2 playthrough.
See, now I could totally get siding with Squierrels in TW1, but Iorveth's kinduva murderous sociopath. (And Roche is a total bro and a serious badass.)
You ain't lyin'. My first playthrough was a Vashoth Mage who classed into Arcane Warrior and subsequently just lightsabered everything to death. That damage to shields passive is mega-OP, especially in conjunction with the saber's bonus vs. armor/shields. Also crowds. Crowds were my bitches.
Whateva, man. My rogue an' his twin daggers, The Belkster and Death's Lil' Helper, were so stronk I didn't even bother bringing squadmates to dragon fights. Or the latter story missions.

Last edited:

Requiem

It's really funny how everyone wanted the tactical camera to come back to dragon age after it was gone in dragon age 2, but then they just made all of the classes super strong, so it didn't matter, lol.

What armor did you guys go with at the end of the game? Since with silverite, you can just make any kind of armor for your main character regardless of class restrictions, except for a few pieces of armor here and there.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I legitimately was about to boot up the ol' Xbox 360 just so I could answer that question, but then I went all "fuck it." Some kinda top-tier rogue armor that wasn't the very best rogue armor, because I wasn't gonna play a filthy knife-ear, but the best one after that and with the best materials, etc. Lotta fat little waddling snow-piggies died to make it. All I really do remember is that I tinted everything with obsidian, just because.

Top Bottom