Male Seeking Quality Single Player Action Adventure that Loves XBoning

Requiem

I wish the color thing wasn't based on what stats you wanted. Fashion is super important in games, weirdly enough, lol.

I like loading a mage character up with heavy armor, just to see what it looks like. My biggest thing is messing with the Dragon Age Keep and creating a whole bunch of worlds to mess with whenever I make new characters. It's interesting, to say the least.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I wish the color thing wasn't based on what stats you wanted. Fashion is super important in games, weirdly enough, lol.
That's why you tint them. There's an armor tinting station by the crafting one. Make it look like it's made of a different metal than it actually is.

Requiem

Oh that's right! I haven't gotten back to the main base in my latest save file. The first time I played, they hadn't added that to the game yet. I'd heard about it though! That's awesome!

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
I did the Jedi Mage thing too. I also made my staff generate guard on hit also so I would generate both the shield an guard at the same time and be even more invincible.

13thforsworn

That guy, Letho, is one of my favorite characters of ever. If you ever end up going back and getting to the end of that game, you'll get to fully appreciate why.

So, the Part 1 backwater town, Flotsam, does have a bit of an issue with some too-strong MOBsters around. I totally understand why they had to do that, though. Flotsam kind of drags on for a while, mostly for legitimate reasons, but some that admittedly felt a little bit filler-like. Either way, they had to include some parts of it that would still be somewhat challenging by the time you left. Nothing extreme like DA:I's dragons (or, some of the tougher surprise rift-holes around the Hinderlands area, which would totally kick that dragon's ass), because you never go back to Flotsam after leaving. But definitely some things that you'd have to play really perfectly to beat when you're first going in. (Personally, I'd played TW1 already going in, so I could pretty much tell on sight which monsters were probably too tough to take on without a couple more levels, and which weren't, so I didn't end up being terribly affected - but I can see how players who didn't have that kind of knowledge could find it problematic).

Me, I took the Roche path out of Flotsam, and found Parts 2 and 3 to be a really good, interesting time. I haven't (yet) gone back and tried the dirtly elf stink Iorveth's path. I'm told that if you do, it leads to a downright amazing Part 2, but transitions sort of awkwardly into Part 3.

Either way, the pacing and style of the reveals, as Geralt works on chipping away at the mystery of what the fuck is going on behind the scenes of all these assassinations, should end up engaging and keeping your interest really well - though it might take until after Flotsam for that to really start happening.

As for the intro sequence, most of it is totally skippable. I actually really liked it, though. Between Foltest's gruff charisma, Geralt's negotiations with La Fallette ("And who's going to guarantee our safety if we agree?" [flatly, shaking head] "No one."), and of course them Triss's boobs, well... safe to say that if the cinematic intro hadn't piqued my interest already, the prologue totally would have. That said, it can also be really tough, since you can't pick your fights and you start off without any gear (except people loading in a TW1 save, who potentially have a cool sword) or skill-point customization to speak of.

If you're like me, and insist on doing the hardest difficulty* all the time as a matter of principle, I can totally see how that would get frustrating. If you've got no problem with turning it down to easymode for the sake of enjoyment, it really ought to be fine. To this end, the tutorial sequence (should you choose to go through it), will recommend a difficulty level based on your combat performance at the end.

...shit, I've totally convinced myself. I'm gonna go back and do a Iorveth's playthrough now.

But, hey. Even if you find yourself actually not liking TW2, you really can't not love TW3. Clearly, I liked TW2 - but I've only put about 60 hours into it. For comparison, I've got over 430 hours put into TW3. (Playthrough, followed by replay into the first expansion, mind you). For whatever need there is to say that at this point.

Also. Side-note: I dunno if you can switch the language settings around on a console. But if so, I'd really recommend going with the Polish dub and subtitles over the English dub. The English VA isn't terrible or anything, but... it's just a lot less good. Obviously that's easy for me to say, on account of knowing the language anyway, but I got American friends that can back me up here. Just a suggestion.

*(Except for the ones that make you start the game over when you die. The hell with that business).
Letho is a fantastic character because he's not one dimensional in his motives.

"How could kill all these kings?!"
"Well, these are my motives: __________, __________, and _______________."
"Shit, that's actually really reasonable. I thought you were killing them because you're EVIL and that's what EVIL people do."
"Oh, and I also did you a solid by taking care of your girl while you had amnesia. Because I could."
"Oh damn, that's actually really nice of you..."
"So, do we still have beef, or can we drink some vodka and part ways?"
"Uhhhh, shit, give me a couple of minutes to consult my moral compass versus what I thought was my crystal clear mission to kill you for the entire game."

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Letho is a fantastic character because he's not one dimensional in his motives.

"How could kill all these kings?!"
"Well, these are my motives: __________, __________, and _______________."
"Shit, that's actually really reasonable. I thought you were killing them because you're EVIL and that's what EVIL people do."
"Oh, and I also did you a solid by taking care of your girl while you had amnesia. Because I could."
"Oh damn, that's actually really nice of you..."
"So, do we still have beef, or can we drink some vodka and part ways?"
"Uhhhh, shit, give me a couple of minutes to consult my moral compass versus what I thought was my crystal clear mission to kill you for the entire game."
Not to mention how he totally punked the Lodge and the Scoia'tael to do it, both of which are some hella dangerous people. And all because they assumed he was just a dumb brute based on his looks, which he just happily played along with.

Steal Thy Kill

Thief, Fable: Anniversary, and Witcher 2 have arrived. For whatever reason, Fable 2 and 3 are backwards compatible, but not Anniversary. Goddammit Microsoft.Anyway, put a couple hours into Fable first and that was nice. Still getting used to the weird control scheme. There has to be a more battle-convenient way to cycle through magic. It's a game that knows what it is, which I appreciate. So that's fine and good. My sense of character is "Don't be a dick, unless they really deserve it" and "no mercy to bandits".

Then I played Witcher 2 last night and hot damn. First thought is "man, I forgot how much I suck at video games" followed by "this is still pretty great" (I am playing on Easy now). Currently escaping from the dungeons. Gonna try out Thief too, but for now I think Witcher's gonna be my focus, though I'll probably do a solid bit of hopping around regardless.

Steal Thy Kill

So I'm in Flotsam and goddamn what are all these side-quests. Is everywhere gonna be like this? Completionist nightmare. Some of them were simple (go five feet, talk to shop guy, press the intimidate button, collect reward). Then there was the shady fuck by the docks where it was a constantly annoying "meet me here, no now here, no here", so that one sucked. I still feel ashamed for going around for the arm wrestling. I'm just gonna avoid minigames completely now that I know to look for them. But then there was the "go to the asylum" quest that was pretty fucking legit. Like, the wraiths were a bitch to fight (eventually just spammed roll dodges and fireball until I killed one, then beat the shit out of the other), but beyond that it had a solid story and atmosphere for a sidequest. You can tell they tried on this one. So glad I got to feed those fucks to the phantom. I haven't touched most of the things on the notice board yet, because A) quest docket has too much on it as is, and B) they look like extermination quests.

And I have everything set up so that I can fight my first monster tomorrow. So that should be some damn good fun.

13thforsworn

So I'm in Flotsam and goddamn what are all these side-quests. Is everywhere gonna be like this? Completionist nightmare. Some of them were simple (go five feet, talk to shop guy, press the intimidate button, collect reward). Then there was the shady fuck by the docks where it was a constantly annoying "meet me here, no now here, no here", so that one sucked. I still feel ashamed for going around for the arm wrestling. I'm just gonna avoid minigames completely now that I know to look for them. But then there was the "go to the asylum" quest that was pretty fucking legit. Like, the wraiths were a bitch to fight (eventually just spammed roll dodges and fireball until I killed one, then beat the shit out of the other), but beyond that it had a solid story and atmosphere for a sidequest. You can tell they tried on this one. So glad I got to feed those fucks to the phantom. I haven't touched most of the things on the notice board yet, because A) quest docket has too much on it as is, and B) they look like extermination quests.

And I have everything set up so that I can fight my first monster tomorrow. So that should be some damn good fun.
As someone who freaks out when there is too much shit to do, I felt like TW2 had the perfect amount of completionist side-quests. I like them a lot because they usually dtrt off pretty simple like, " yo, can you help me with this task?" but then half-way along the way you realize that some other shit is happening in the background is that simple task is mired in some local politics or criminal elements. Then you get t make some fun choices! Or sometimes you finish the quest and some other guy is like, "hey, I heard you did a good job on that quest, come talk to me at the bar and I'll give you another job" and that starts a really new cool quest.

I'd say doing at least the fighting mini-game in Flotsam is worth it because it opens up some stuff for you.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
So I'm in Flotsam and goddamn what are all these side-quests. Is everywhere gonna be like this?
Short answer: No. Flotsam's by far the most tedious part of the game. It still has some really good side-quests though, so as tempting as it is to recommend just blitzing the story missions and getting out as quickly as possible, I won't do so.

Off the top of my head, along with the asylum quest there's also a murder investigation, drinking with Ves and the Blue Stripes (worth as fuck), and that troll contract. Although TW3 is where every single bounty board mission becomes actually unique and interesting, TW2 has already gone a long way from TW1's "collect 5 drowner tongues" standard-ass RPG bounty quest shit.

As to the mini-games... eh. Beating everybody unlocks some dialogues eventually that are moderately interesting, but nothing that I remember as being really worth it if they're boring you. TW3 also improves the hell out of mini-games with Gwent, although at the cost of making you occasionally feel like some kind of Yu-Gi-Oh villain.

TimTh33nchant3r

Short answer: No. Flotsam's by far the most tedious part of the game. It still has some really good side-quests though, so as tempting as it is to recommend just blitzing the story missions and getting out as quickly as possible, I won't do so.

Off the top of my head, along with the asylum quest there's also a murder investigation, drinking with Ves and the Blue Stripes (worth as fuck), and that troll contract. Although TW3 is where every single bounty board mission becomes actually unique and interesting, TW2 has already gone a long way from TW1's "collect 5 drowner tongues" standard-ass RPG bounty quest shit.

As to the mini-games... eh. Beating everybody unlocks some dialogues eventually that are moderately interesting, but nothing that I remember as being really worth it if they're boring you. TW3 also improves the hell out of mini-games with Gwent, although at the cost of making you occasionally feel like some kind of Yu-Gi-Oh villain.
If you think the contracts in 2 sound like boring exterminations, just wait until you start taking contracts in 3. The boring part is a complete friggin' lie. Every contract feels like something you'd really run into. I had one where the guy I saved didn't want to pay me and I had the option to threaten him now or let him keep it for a week and come back for more. And the journal had Geralt bitching about being a witcher or a moneylender. It was awesome.

Also, drinking with Ves is always 10/10.

It's funny you should mention Gwent; I actually got into a fairly involved discussion last night with one of my friends on the topic. He was talking about getting a set printed. I'd probably play the hell out of that.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
If you think the contracts in 2 sound like boring exterminations, just wait until you start taking contracts in 3. The boring part is a complete friggin' lie. Every contract feels like something you'd really run into. I had one where the guy I saved didn't want to pay me and I had the option to threaten him now or let him keep it for a week and come back for more. And the journal had Geralt bitching about being a witcher or a moneylender. It was awesome.
I remember that, but it wasn't as good as the one where Geralt gets shitfaced drunk and wanders the streets of Oxenfurt singing dirty folk songs late at night to catch a monster. Though if I understood correctly, Stealthy actually hasn't done any of the bounty quests from TW2 yet, on account of what he expected they'd be like.
It's funny you should mention Gwent; I actually got into a fairly involved discussion last night with one of my friends on the topic. He was talking about getting a set printed. I'd probably play the hell out of that.
Wouldn't even be surprised to find out somebody's selling them already. An RPG minigame that's somehow actually a pretty fun pastime - who'd have thought?

Last edited:

Steal Thy Kill

Killing the Kayran was fun. Good ol' fashioned boss fight. Later last night I did the fist fight thing. Quick and easy QTE, so easy I did it after a night of drinking. Got another one done with the elf chick traitor. Picked up the two exterminations and the troll. Still trying to find the rest of the quests. Do I have to talk to the jackass commander before some of them unlock or something?

Also, my brother conveniently just picked up Witcher 3, so that'll save me some money.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Still trying to find the rest of the quests. Do I have to talk to the jackass commander before some of them unlock or something?
You mean (B)Roche, or the guy running the village? Cause with the latter, there's actually a quest sequence that you gotta talk to him to start. Worth gritting your teeth and bearing through going to talk to that asshole, imo, cause that'll potentially end with tearing him and his reign to the wet, muddy, smelly ground. Doing all the available fist fights first will also let you make some extra money and dick-slap him a little harder while you're at it.

Gonna need to talk to the Blue Stripes commander for quests too, at some point, but I'd object to you slanderin' my good buddy Roche like that.
Also, my brother conveniently just picked up Witcher 3, so that'll save me some money.
That's some excellent value, right there.

Last edited:

Steal Thy Kill

I meant Loredo. Roche is fine.

I finished Chapter 1.

I like how the Troll extermination quest turned into curing his alcoholism. Drinking with the Blue Stripes was neat. Wish the sword I got as a trophy was better. Immediately hocked it. I gotta say, the "win the boss fight, but lose the cutscene" trope always annoyed me. First Letho did it and made off with bae, then that fuckhead king did it and spawned a whole shitton of wraiths. I also sided with Iorveth, because I figured he was my best shot at getting to axe Loredo. Which I totally fucking did, elf chicks be damned. I'm assuming that Roche would have brought me against Joan of Arc, because that's how these branching paths tend to work, so I probably picked right. Like, we've got Daenerys Dragonslayer, Backup Sorceress, Elvish Jet from Avatar, Stannis, and a whole bunch of dwarves. Meanwhile the other side's got the Blue Stripes and King Prickhead of Douche Island. Roche, Ves, and the rest of medieval Seal Team 6 are all chill and I wish I didn't have to leave them behind, so I'll definitely try them in a replay, but for now I'm feeling solid about my choice. I'd rather not have to spend another chapter where I want to do nothing more than cut down the guy in charge of the local area.

13thforsworn

I meant Loredo. Roche is fine.

I finished Chapter 1.

I like how the Troll extermination quest turned into curing his alcoholism. Drinking with the Blue Stripes was neat. Wish the sword I got as a trophy was better. Immediately hocked it. I gotta say, the "win the boss fight, but lose the cutscene" trope always annoyed me. First Letho did it and made off with bae, then that fuckhead king did it and spawned a whole shitton of wraiths. I also sided with Iorveth, because I figured he was my best shot at getting to axe Loredo. Which I totally fucking did, elf chicks be damned. I'm assuming that Roche would have brought me against Joan of Arc, because that's how these branching paths tend to work, so I probably picked right. Like, we've got Daenerys Dragonslayer, Backup Sorceress, Elvish Jet from Avatar, Stannis, and a whole bunch of dwarves. Meanwhile the other side's got the Blue Stripes and King Prickhead of Douche Island. Roche, Ves, and the rest of medieval Seal Team 6 are all chill and I wish I didn't have to leave them behind, so I'll definitely try them in a replay, but for now I'm feeling solid about my choice. I'd rather not have to spend another chapter where I want to do nothing more than cut down the guy in charge of the local area.
Not sure if I wanna read your future posts because I sided with Roche and am considering replaying it for the Iorveth side. I don't even remember chosing a side, I just realized later that a choice had been made.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I gotta say, the "win the boss fight, but lose the cutscene" trope always annoyed me. First Letho did it and made off with bae, then that fuckhead king did it and spawned a whole shitton of wraiths.
Yeah? Well, you could've actually won that fight if you'd sided with your boy Broche instead of the mass-murdering sociopath who'd only just stopped trying to kill you, Stealthy.

All kidding aside, yeah, that trope a shit. Why even bother making you win to progress in the first place? I think you've hit the last of them for the entire series, though.

Ah wait, no. There's at least one more buried deep, deep into TW3, but it's all good because you get to fight again and win it immediately after.

Last edited:

Steal Thy Kill

tbf, when I gave Iorveth his sword back I didn't see Roche; I thought it was just more of Loredo's goons. And felt like kindof a dick move to abandon the guy to Loredo when he did just do me a solid (and also fuck that cunt). Also, again, figured he was more likely to lead me to kill Loredo than Roche. I am obviously gonna go the other way in a future playthrough.

And yeah 13th, I'll spoiler from now on since there's a clear divergence.

Anyhow, I'm away from home for a few days, so we'll pick things up on Thursday or Friday.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
tbf, when I gave Iorveth his sword back I didn't see Roche; I thought it was just more of Loredo's goons. And felt like kindof a dick move to abandon the guy to Loredo when he did just do me a solid (and also fuck that cunt). Also, again, figured he was more likely to lead me to kill Loredo than Roche. I am obviously gonna go the other way in a future playthrough.
I'd usually rag on people who go Iorveth path first playthrough, but that's actually the best argument I've ever seen for making that choice. I figured Roche would be down for helping kill Loredo as well, or at the very least wouldn't stop me (plus, expected I could count on my new drinking buddies in any case), but I get the logic in seeing Iorveth as a safer bet there. Anyway, my understanding is that Iorveth's p2 is gonna be a great time, so here's looking forward to that. Dunno if you still end up being able to kill Henselt, though.

By the way, though it's shameful that I've only remembered this now, some relevant context for the game in the TW1 epilogue cinematic.

Top Bottom