Male Seeking Quality Single Player Action Adventure that Loves XBoning

Steal Thy Kill

Oh yeah, Witcher 2 was where they really explained all about Yen an- haha, just kidding! They hardly touched on that, apart from an optional infodump from Letho at the end. Reading TW3's in-game bio's on Geralt, Yen, Ciri, and Triss will help a lot, as will a couple of in-game book passages. And some quest lines, of course.

And it doesn't really help that Triss is really awesome in this one, whereas Yenn turns out to be... kind of an arrogant bitch.

Novigrad isn't done; you'll be going back there, later.

Also, the money you paid for passage to Skellige is fully recoverable. Just gonna throw that out there.
Yeah, Yen... I'm not feeling it. Keira Metz mentioned how she treats Geralt like a dog and Cerys called him out for being whipped. Neither of them are all that wrong so far, and Yen clearly doesn't give two shits about other people from what I've seen so far. And I really wasn't worried about the money I paid to get to Skellige. I'm swimming in cash. Overleveling issues are creeping up on me though.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
There's a gameplay option you can turn on, which will make the hostile NPC spawns always be at least whatever level you are. (Higher-level mobs are unaffected.) That helps a bit with the overleveling issues.

I'm swimming in cash.
Heh. Because 10k shipwreck.

Last edited:

13thforsworn

Haven't read the last page or so because Stealthy has surpassed where I am in the story. Just arrived on Skellige too. Stealthy, are you skipping all the sidequests, because I have over 85 hours played and you've already passed me. I've actively sought out and completed all quests I encounter, as well as try to complete all map objectives if I'm nearby. Think I'm about level 22 right now.

Steal Thy Kill

I've got a bunch of Level 20-something Witcher contracts saved up, but otherwise no. Only Novigrad/Velen side quest I left undone before leaving for Skellige was Hattori, and I think that's it. I was level 20 or 21 when I sailed to Skellige. Basically I went straight from that into hunting the first rank of Bear armor. And I hit all the notice boards and got probably a good 70% of the map done before sailing off. I haven't done any races or fist fights or Gwent, which may have made the difference (especially Gwent).

So. Yen did not take rejection very well. Didn't have to throw that bed out the window. Lambert's also a huge dick.

Skellige was interesting though. I like how it was structured to be both the first and last place Ciri visited, rather than Velen-Novigrad-Skellige being completely linear, but whatever. More interesting was that, despite the fact that Skellige is barbaric, savage, and all sorts of unkind things as befits a Viking analogue, they've hands down been more respectful to Geralt than the mainlanders. I mean, I've gotten a small amount of shit for being a mainlander, but all in all nobody's insulted me by calling me a mutant or a freak or any such thing.

Crach an Craite was another example of "fuck exposition", where I show up and he treats me like a friend but then I found out there's supposed to be some sort of friction between us over Yen but then there isn't? Like, what? Anyway, I'm feeling pretty good with my decision to reject Yen for Triss. Playing kingmaker was kinda predictable, but Cerys and especially Hjalmar's quests were fun. Final quest is whether to go murdering with Hjalmar or be the Scooby Doo to Cerys' Velma, and it's pretty obvious that whoever you go with gets the crown. Kinda concerning that the heirs to all the clans got wiped out at once though. That's gotta lead to some succession issues.

Anyway, from there I hopped over to Kaer Morhen. Again, some fun sidequests. Reminiscent of Vergen in Witcher 2, in that it's a whole big fetch quest. Lambert is, again, a huge dick, but it was fun getting smashed. When I pick it up again, I'm off to round up the supporting cast. By which I mean hunting the next set of armor or two, cleaning up side quests/witcher contracts, and then going towards the big possibly game-ending climactic battle.

AndyM03

Inspired by Stealthy, I'm playing through the DLC I bought but never played. Always a delightful experience, and I got to plough another red head. It's the Witcher series i've known and loved.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Shani is bae.

13thforsworn

I've got a bunch of Level 20-something Witcher contracts saved up, but otherwise no. Only Novigrad/Velen side quest I left undone before leaving for Skellige was Hattori, and I think that's it. I was level 20 or 21 when I sailed to Skellige. Basically I went straight from that into hunting the first rank of Bear armor. And I hit all the notice boards and got probably a good 70% of the map done before sailing off. I haven't done any races or fist fights or Gwent, which may have made the difference (especially Gwent).
Gwent is definitely something I pursued. I'm quite proud of the fact that I won the High Stakes tournament with some but ultimately not too much trouble, with what many would consider a sub-optimal deck since I didn't farm the Skellige cards before doing it. Only had two spies too, whereas many recommended four. Geralt got to bang another hot chick for my efforts (along with the nice cards for winning).

I'm curious as to how many hours you've put into the game, since by the sounds of it you've done almost everything I have, plus more.

AndyM03

Fall damage needs to be deleted from the game before I do myelf bodily harm.

In unrelated news, I learnt to let go of the shift key.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
You'll actually be better off using a controller, if you have one. Weird, but true.

13thforsworn

Inspired by Stealthy, I'm playing through the DLC I bought but never played. Always a delightful experience, and I got to plough another red head. It's the Witcher series i've known and loved.
How does the DLC work? Is it something you're suppose to do before the end of the game? Or can you load it up after you beat the game? Is it a stand-alone section or integrated into the main game?

Steal Thy Kill

Gwent is definitely something I pursued. I'm quite proud of the fact that I won the High Stakes tournament with some but ultimately not too much trouble, with what many would consider a sub-optimal deck since I didn't farm the Skellige cards before doing it. Only had two spies too, whereas many recommended four. Geralt got to bang another hot chick for my efforts (along with the nice cards for winning).

I'm curious as to how many hours you've put into the game, since by the sounds of it you've done almost everything I have, plus more.
62 hours when I made the post above. Gwent is probably what made the real difference.

AndyM03

How does the DLC work? Is it something you're suppose to do before the end of the game? Or can you load it up after you beat the game? Is it a stand-alone section or integrated into the main game?
You can do it before or after as long as you're a high enough level, or you can start a new character pre-equipped and levelled to take on the DLC. I've just continued using my Geralt from when I finished the game. It's integrated into the main game. Blood and Wine might be different, not sure.

I had 45 hours on the game when I finished it originally, no Gwent at all haha. I thought I had done a lot of side questing but I know there's more to do. Really enjoying jumping back into the game, glad I gave it breathing room though.

@Easy I'm so used to my keyboard I don't know if I could bring myself to make the switch haha. Is it really that much better?

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
@Easy I'm so used to my keyboard I don't know if I could bring myself to make the switch haha. Is it really that much better?
Tried mouse and keyboard first myself, and I'd say yes, it really is. I'd expect that you'll most likely start preferring it after just some minutes. Couple hours, tops, if you've only got a tiny little bit of console gaming experience behind you.

Gotta use the "alternative movement control" (or whatever exactly it's called) from the menu, though, or Geralt's real clumsy at low speeds.

Steal Thy Kill

And so, everything's in place for the big climactic battle at Kaer Morhen.

Granted, I still have to go actually pick up Ciri, but whatever. Details. I've cleaned up all the sidequests and Witcher contracts up to my level (27), barring Gwent and shit. Still have a few treasure hunts and maybe five quests above my level left, but whatever. Also, Hattori's kindof a little bitch. Yoana at least made me some armor that wasn't outclassed by what I was already wearing. Felt bad when Crach kept handing me swords I couldn't use. This, not so much. Oh, and the Yoana twist was spoiled for me because I saw I could buy stuff from her before doing this quest, and she was labeled as a Master Armorer in the shop panel. Whoops.

My crew includes: Keira Metz, Letho, Hermion, Hjalmar, Vernon Roche, Zoltan, Triss, then Yen and the three Witchers already there. Plus Ciri and maybe the elven sage. Djikstra turned me down, and then things didn't work out with Emhyr, but I got the achievement for a full crew anyway. I'm a little surprised though. Would've expected that Djikstra and Roche would've had me finish helping them axe Radovid. Also thought I would've found Eilhart with the option of recruiting her. Says to me that those are part of the DLC Pack... or there's more after the battle. Latter makes sense given that the quest level is 22 while I'm 27 and the Witcher Gear Sets go up to 34, so you'd figure that the main game would end near that level, which is about as high as my remaining Contracts and Side Quests go.

This battle is trademark RPG end game material, right down to gathering all your allies based on the choices you've made. And while this game is great and well above the standard fare, I still remember how a whole chapter of Witcher 2 was a Fetch Quest, albeit a good and entertaining one. Speaking of, you can find the Rose of Remembrance in Triss's apartment. It wilted.

Wondering what happens after this, but it looks to be a fun time. If this is somehow actually the end... then I'll be a bit disappointed because it just feels so abrupt, but then again Loc Muinne was also way quicker than expected. It was still money very well spent (especially because I got it for free).

Steal Thy Kill

Game Beat. 80something hours of playtime well spent. Level 35, with all Contracts and Side Missions (besides fights and races and gwent) finished. Final getup was Mastercrafted Cat Armor and Ursine Swords. I mostly did fast attack, roll dodge, and Igni, though other signs got mixed in where appropriate. Especially with Cat armor given how fast my stamina regen was. Abilities were generally speced around that.

Emhyr won the war. Ciri went on to become Empress. Triss and Geralt moved to Kovir. Queen Cerys ruled wisely. Roche got Temeria. Dandelion insists that he's a Count and Prisilla's okay. RIP Crach. RIP Vesemir. RIP White Frost. EskelxKeira is a thing. Not sure what else I'm missing, but overall pretty happy with my ending.

Was a bit surprised that Avallac'h had good intentions to save the multiverse from the White Frost. When Eredin told me that, I said "no shit", but was pleasantly surprised when Ciri came out and said told Geralt to put his damn sword away. Not used to there being people in this game who are actually decent, especially among magic users not named Triss Merigold. Really though, there's a lot of not good people involved in this game. Outside of Geralt's friend group, you've got Crach and kids (and even then, they're fucking Vikings), Ermion, the godlings, Roche and Ves in their own way, and the Rock Trolls. And they eat people. Though really, I love the Rock Trolls and I did everything I could to avoid killing them.

I am rather disappointed that I didn't have an opportunity to warn Yen at the end. If Ciri's going to be Empress, I want Yen at her side. Yen may be a bit of a bitch, but she's smart and absolutely has Ciri's best interests at heart. Precisely who I'd want advising her. And fuck Philippa Eilhart. Like, fuck her so much. God, why couldn't Radovid's crazy witch hunting do at least one thing right?

Speaking of Radovid, he's dead. He was getting out of control. Honestly would've been okay with Djikstra becoming the new king even if I wasn't his biggest fan, but then he had to go ahead and try to kill Roche. Fuck that nonsense. And in the end Roche got his free Temeria (with who as ruler? One of Foltest's bastards?). Kinda wish Saskia was still around to enforce some nonhuman equality but whatever. Had to save Triss and no way could I let Philippa control a dragon.

Annoying dangling thread is the Novigrad crime situation. Two of the big 4 have been knocked off with my killing of Sigi Reuven/Djikstra, and then killing Whoreson Jr with Dudu taking his place and going legitimate. That leaves Cleaver and the King of Beggars, the latter of whom I'm feeling a little cheated on. When we first meet him, he gives a speech about his grander ideas and his anti-Eternal Fire positions... which we never hear about again. Not complaining about the focus on Djikstra and Whoreson (they deserved it), but that's just kindof a thing that was teased and didn't go anywhere. Also never found out if anything came of the Bloody Baron, but wasn't expecting it, really. Maybe it'll be in one of the DLCs as an easter egg.

Did Emhyr conquer Skellige and give them a Temeria-esque deal (at Ciri's insistence) where Cerys got to still be Queen? Or did he just abandon the invasion after the whole mess with Eredin? Don't think we ever got an answer on that.

Kinda wish I got to play as full-powered Ciri (well, not completely full powered. Didn't let me use the Ghost Wail) more than that small bit at the end where she carved her way to Calanthir. She kicked some major fucking ass. Cinematic swordplay was generally great, especially back during the battle for Kaer Morhen. Rock Elementals, Golems, etc are all way too annoying to kill because of their defensive stats. Can't even get good residual damages like burning and bleeding to kick in. I'm not entirely sure what good adrenaline points did for me. I remember they led to instant kills in Witcher 2, but I don't think it was ever explained to me what they did this time around. Whatever. Didn't matter much in the end anyhow.

Loved traipsing through the multiverse. The White Frost world was really well done in capturing the "this is a really terrifying apocalypse" bit. Still don't understand what it is besides an unstoppable blizzard. Like, what's the source and how was Ciri able to kill it? And what little I saw of Tir na Lia did not look to be suffering from the White Frost. But hey, it worked out.

A few more annoying glitches. Twice it gave me the "you have too much shit in your inventory" penalty when I didn't. A whole bunch of times it wouldn't let me dive into the water. Crashed a few times. idk if the XBone version is a bit rougher than the other ones, but this is kinda par for the course when it comes to a game of this size, but at least I never really got caught in the geometry or anything.

Finally, fuck fall damage. Forever and always.

At some point I may New Game+, but I'm good for now. Great game, very satisfied. May hold off on the DLC for a bit (what's the cost, anyway? I know that Blood and Wine is huge but what about Hearts of Stone?). Great RPG series. Wish there was more of it and more like it. I think Projekt Red did a smart job of learning from Witcher 2 and other large scale RPGs when making this game. Here's hoping that other games learn from them.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
To chime in on Witcher 3.

I picked it up and did a few of side missions [Cursed well, The lost Soldier, the Arson, Some other Witcher's Corpse] and I'm supposed to hunt that wyvern by talking to a farmer and an herbalist. I haven't really picked it up since I grabbed Valkyria Chronicles. Then I also picked up Resident Evil 4, which put Valkyria Chronicles on the back burner. I've also been playing Rocket League & Diablo with friends for the past week, so Resident Evil 4 is on the back burner.

Once I finish those two games, then I'll go back to Witcher 3. It's not a bad game, but it's a bit exhausting for me to play. It's incredibly open-world (which I'm not a fan of), but incredibly immersive.

Resident Evil 4 has smooth fucking gameplay and it's surprising to me. It still holds up after decades. The dialogue is cheesy as all hell but there are a ton of cool moments and the Las Plagas are really cool. The first resident evil game I played was 5, so 4 is absolutely refreshing. I played a bit of Resident Evil Zero but the controls are so janky and the camera angles are killing the experience for me in that classic horror. It's a solid 10/10 for me. I'd consider going back to replay it and do professional.

Valkyria Chronicles is surprisingly good. Great cast and it focuses on war - the romanticization of it and how it could be towards others. The only reason I put it down is investing 20 minutes into the mission for me to get fucked over.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Emhyr won the war. Ciri went on to become Empress. Triss and Geralt moved to Kovir. Queen Cerys ruled wisely. Roche got Temeria. Dandelion insists that he's a Count and Prisilla's okay. RIP Crach. RIP Vesemir. RIP White Frost. EskelxKeira is a thing. Not sure what else I'm missing, but overall pretty happy with my ending.
You mean LambertxKeira, right?
Was a bit surprised that Avallac'h had good intentions to save the multiverse from the White Frost. When Eredin told me that, I said "no shit", but was pleasantly surprised when Ciri came out and said told Geralt to put his damn sword away. Not used to there being people in this game who are actually decent, especially among magic users not named Triss Merigold. Really though, there's a lot of not good people involved in this game. Outside of Geralt's friend group, you've got Crach and kids (and even then, they're fucking Vikings), Ermion, the godlings, Roche and Ves in their own way, and the Rock Trolls. And they eat people. Though really, I love the Rock Trolls and I did everything I could to avoid killing them.
For what it's worth, I'd say there's about as many good people, as there are actually evil ones. Mostly, people live in a shitty place at a shitty time, and they're just tired, frightened, and/or desperate.
Speaking of Radovid, he's dead. He was getting out of control. Honestly would've been okay with Djikstra becoming the new king even if I wasn't his biggest fan, but then he had to go ahead and try to kill Roche. Fuck that nonsense. And in the end Roche got his free Temeria (with who as ruler? One of Foltest's bastards?). Kinda wish Saskia was still around to enforce some nonhuman equality but whatever. Had to save Triss and no way could I let Philippa control a dragon.
Yeah, Djikstra's a reasonably okay guy who would've made for an excellent ruler. I looked up the ending where he gets his way and, y'know, it really does seem like an excellent outcome for all the Northern peoples, nonhumans included, as well as the long-term peace and prosperity of the Continent at large. Just one problem: you gotta let Ves, Thaler, and Roche die for it, and that shit ain't happening. (Thaler filled the spymaster contact role in Witcher 1, couldn't be beaten in a drinking contest, and, unlike Dijkstra, never turned his back on you when you needed his help.)
Annoying dangling thread is the Novigrad crime situation. Two of the big 4 have been knocked off with my killing of Sigi Reuven/Djikstra, and then killing Whoreson Jr with Dudu taking his place and going legitimate. That leaves Cleaver and the King of Beggars, the latter of whom I'm feeling a little cheated on. When we first meet him, he gives a speech about his grander ideas and his anti-Eternal Fire positions... which we never hear about again. Not complaining about the focus on Djikstra and Whoreson (they deserved it), but that's just kindof a thing that was teased and didn't go anywhere. Also never found out if anything came of the Bloody Baron, but wasn't expecting it, really. Maybe it'll be in one of the DLCs as an easter egg.
Unfortunately not, as far as I can recall. Thing is, whatever path you take, the Church of the Eternal Fire loses all its power with the ending. If Dijkstra takes the North, then the pogroms are ended, and it's safe to assume he removes or de-claws all the major syndicates as well. If Nilfgaard takes the North, more or less the same thing. They don't know the underworld to quite the same extent that Dijkstra did, but they're authoritarian AF, and that only leaves so much room for the remaining crime bosses to wiggle in.
Did Emhyr conquer Skellige and give them a Temeria-esque deal (at Ciri's insistence) where Cerys got to still be Queen? Or did he just abandon the invasion after the whole mess with Eredin? Don't think we ever got an answer on that.
Most of the Empire's navy was wiped out in the final battle, so I'd expect they just didn't have the means left to continue the invasion anymore. They'll pick up Novigrad's fleet, sure, but Novigrad's entire economy is built around those ships. There's only a small fraction that can be spared without inciting rebellion and discord in the city, and a small fleet of merchant ships hastily adapted for battle just isn't going to cut it in Skellige.
Kinda wish I got to play as full-powered Ciri (well, not completely full powered. Didn't let me use the Ghost Wail) more than that small bit at the end where she carved her way to Calanthir. She kicked some major fucking ass. Cinematic swordplay was generally great, especially back during the battle for Kaer Morhen. Rock Elementals, Golems, etc are all way too annoying to kill because of their defensive stats. Can't even get good residual damages like burning and bleeding to kick in. I'm not entirely sure what good adrenaline points did for me. I remember they led to instant kills in Witcher 2, but I don't think it was ever explained to me what they did this time around. Whatever. Didn't matter much in the end anyhow.
Bleeding is a poor way to combat a bunch of rock monsters, (but a great way to fight big-ass bird monsters). For things with a bunch of armor, you oughtta get more on the strong attack plays, because armor imparts a flat damage reduction value to each hit. Investing in the chargeable shield-breaker strong attack is good value, and using an archgriffin decoction is excellent value. (Drains all your stamina when you hit a strong attack, but also deals an additional 5% of the targets max HP on-hit with said strong attack.)

Adrenaline points increase your damage dealt by a percentage, iirc. There are also build options that'll let them be used in place of stamina for casting, and some other effects, to the point where adrenaline-based builds are pretty common as a recommendation. I've never tried it myself, though. Always went with good ol' sword-and-alchemy, myself.
Loved traipsing through the multiverse. The White Frost world was really well done in capturing the "this is a really terrifying apocalypse" bit. Still don't understand what it is besides an unstoppable blizzard. Like, what's the source and how was Ciri able to kill it? And what little I saw of Tir na Lia did not look to be suffering from the White Frost. But hey, it worked out.
Y'got me there.
A few more annoying glitches. Twice it gave me the "you have too much shit in your inventory" penalty when I didn't. A whole bunch of times it wouldn't let me dive into the water. Crashed a few times. idk if the XBone version is a bit rougher than the other ones, but this is kinda par for the course when it comes to a game of this size, but at least I never really got caught in the geometry or anything.
Never had those happen on PC. Though, whenever I tried dismounting while riding in rainy weather at high speeds, Geralt would dive off of his horse. Complete with a splashing sound and a midair swimming animation, followed quickly by a gentle drop to standing on the ground.
Finally, fuck fall damage. Forever and always.
Oh, this is nothing. Fall damage was actually a lot higher on release; I still remember how the fall damage nerf was the highlight of the first set of patch notes.
At some point I may New Game+, but I'm good for now. Great game, very satisfied. May hold off on the DLC for a bit (what's the cost, anyway? I know that Blood and Wine is huge but what about Hearts of Stone?). Great RPG series. Wish there was more of it and more like it. I think Projekt Red did a smart job of learning from Witcher 2 and other large scale RPGs when making this game. Here's hoping that other games learn from them.
Cost for both DLC's was just around $10 a few days ago, iirc, as part of a sale. Not sure about now; sale might still be going. Was $24 on release.

New Game+ is... kind of interesting. I'd say it's more of a challenge at high difficulty, even adjusting for all of your extra levels and equipment, but you should have pretty much all the tools and knowledge you need to deal with it all. Especially with new features introduced in the expansions, a lot of fun new build combos can be applied to deal with the tremendous monster buff.

Last edited:

13thforsworn

Just finished Witcher 3 as well. Final time clicked in at 105 hours and 39 minutes. Was pretty fucking good.

In my endings, Ciri became a witcher, Geralt ended up with Yen, who both retired into a quiet, cozy life. Definitely wish I went with Triss, but I'm not too disappointed since I liked Yen as well. Will go for Triss next time. I killed Radovid, so Nilfgaard won the war, and Emhyr made Temeria a liege state that was united and "free". No mention of Roche. I find it kinda ironic how the whole plot of Witcher 2 is Geralt trying to clear his name of murdering King Foltest, and then in Witcher 3, you can become involved in regicide. "Assassin of Kings" was the perfect name for that achievement. Keira went off to do her own shit with Lambart. I got "The Whole Crew" achievement too, but I didn't have Letho with me since I killed him in Withcer 2.

I spec'd in mostly combat with a few signs here and there, and went full Ursine armour for that sweet adrenaline point bonus. Hold mouse 1, watch everything die as I Thor-hammer spin everything into oblivion. I played on "A Story and a Sword" difficulty, which I think is considered "Normal", so as I got to the higher levels, combat even against bosses and damage-sponge monsters became easy. Like if I can hit a level 30 elemental for 75% of their health in one hit with 5 points in Rend and some oil, or Whirl an Arachas to death in like 5 seconds, then the challenge is non-existent. Will go for a harder difficulty next time.

I think that if and when I replay Witcher 3, I'll first replay Witcher 2 in which I help Iorveth instead of Roche, and keep Letho alive and whatnot. See how that changes things for me. I'll also go full Signs in both games, become the new Operator.

I want to play the DLCs, but I think I'll take a break first, I've got my Witcher 3 fill for a couple of months. Probably pick it up again once summer comes around and I'm off of school.

Last edited:
Top Bottom