Male Seeking Quality Single Player Action Adventure that Loves XBoning

Steal Thy Kill

So I'm a filthy console peasant because I don't have a good, or even passable, gaming PC and am not going to be buying/upgrading to one anytime soon. If ever. Games that emphasize the single player aspect are preferred, because I'm generally pretty bad at video games and don't feel like embarrassing myself in front of the masses with online multiplayer. I just finished AssCreed Syndicate (was pretty solid), and am now bored. Like, I have a few postgame side missions, but that's not gonna take very long.

Things I've Liked:
AssCreeds.
Batman: "We Totally Have a New and Original Approach for the Joker"
Shadows of Mordor (Or, more accurately, Shadows of Arkham)
Far Cry 3
Far Cry 3: 2
That Tomb Raider Reboot
Ratchet & Clank (Damn Sony Exclusives. Loved them on the PS2 though)
Watching Telltale Streams
Uncharted (Theoretically. Damn Exclusivity)

Things I'm Considering:
That New Hitman (but episodic)
That New Tomb Raider (but maybe save it for later)
Witcher (but Bethesda Games border on too overwhelming for a completionist/packrat like me and idk if Witcher is also that massive)
Lego Games (but I don't feel like outing myself)
Just Cause 3 (but I played Just Cause 2 for a bit and had trouble getting into it. Too much ham and cheese)

Things I'd Like Suggested:
Opinions on Stuff in the "Considering" Section
Old 360 Shit I Never Played (when in doubt assume I didn't play it)
Yelling at Me to Give Bethesda Games Another Shot
Stuff I'm Forgetting About or Probably Never Heard Of
Not Dark Souls (I want to have fun)

I'm looking for a solid time sink/money sink ratio here. Open World is something I like, because it helps with that ratio. Beyond that, GO

Requiem

Could always dick around with Mass Effect and Dragon Age. As much as they lack the things they promised, they're still quality games in their own ways. Dead Rising is a lot of fun as well.

What Xbox do you have? Just 360 or do you have an xboner as well? Because I've got a One, but not a 360 anymore.

Tag_Ross

For the 360: I'm sure you've played Red Dead Redemption, if not go kill yourself. Dragon's dogma is pretty good too.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Witcher (but Bethesda Games border on too overwhelming for a completionist/packrat like me and idk if Witcher is also that massive)
More so. There's an easy fix, though - just turn off treasure markers on your map at game start, save yourself hella hours.

Requiem

If you're worried about completionist stuff when it comes to Bethesda games, I wouldn't. Skyrim and Fallout 4 have systems in them that regularly refresh and create more content (not in the best of ways, honestly, but still enough to keep you going) so playing in order to "complete" the game isn't necessary. I'd just worry about completing quests in specific town and going from there. There's a limited number of important stuff in Fallout 4 which is interesting as well, like Power Armor, specific named Legendary weapons, bobbleheads, magazines, etc.

It might seem like a lot at first, but it's not too unwieldy. Skyrim I can't entirely speak for since I haven't played it really. Fallout 4 though encourages completing quests and maxing out your relationship with companions, as well as grabbing the neat stuff I mentioned before.

I'm a bit of a completionist/packrat myself, so I can understand feeling overwhelmed by games like those, but I love them all the same.

If you're looking for a JRPG though (I know you said you're console, but still), you can download a PSP emulator and get Star Ocean 1 and 2. Those are good for completionist sake, play well, and urge you to do a second run through for any characters you might have missed. They seem massive in scope at first, but not too much after a bit once you really see what the games are all about.

EDIT: I don't have a good computer and my PSP emulator runs fine (it's called PPSSPP in case you wanna check it out).

Steal Thy Kill

Could always dick around with Mass Effect and Dragon Age. As much as they lack the things they promised, they're still quality games in their own ways. Dead Rising is a lot of fun as well.

What Xbox do you have? Just 360 or do you have an xboner as well? Because I've got a One, but not a 360 anymore.
Both consoles. And will look into both games.

Metal Gear Solid or you's a bitch.
Knew I was forgetting something. I heard Phantom Pain is ridiculously huge.

For the 360: I'm sure you've played Red Dead Redemption, if not go kill yourself. Dragon's dogma is pretty good too.
I've played Red Dead; I'm not that much of a bitch. Dogma seems cool.

Sabotuer. It's amazing. You play an Irish guy in France vs Nazis.
This looks pretty great. Reminds me of Red Faction, which I played for a bit.

More so. There's an easy fix, though - just turn off treasure markers on your map at game start, save yourself hella hours.
Okay will keep in mind.

TimTh33nchant3r

This looks pretty great. Reminds me of Red Faction, which I played for a bit.
Sabotuer is both better than and not as good as Red Faction at the same time. Hard to explain. I like them both a lot. Wound up picking up Red Faction 1+2 on the cheap from GOG the other day. Need to get around to playing 2, since that's the only one I've missed so far.

I'm also going to suggest that you try punching yourself for even suggesting that The Witcher might be in the same ballpark as a buggy Bethesda monstrosity. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of games they do, but they tend to have more bugs and less nudity, both of which are marks against them in comparison to The Witcher.

Some less-popular but still pretty good 360 titles with at least partially open worlds: Last Remnant, Saint's Row (series), Tales of (series, Graces was my fave but Idk if you can get it for 360), Borderlands (series), Brutal Legend (which was amazing), Terraria, and Thief 4 (can't remember if it got released on 360, and the older ones are better, but this is still good).

For not-so-open worlds that house fantastic games, you can't beat Alpha Protocol, Deadpool, Dishonored (not an open world, but the way you can handle your missions is very open), and Metro (series).

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I'm also going to suggest that you try punching yourself for even suggesting that The Witcher might be in the same ballpark as a buggy Bethesda monstrosity. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of games they do, but they tend to have more bugs and less nudity, both of which are marks against them in comparison to The Witcher.
Also more filler. TW3 especially actually makes all the side quests and witcher contracts feel like shorter versions of real quests. None of that "just go to ___ and kill Monster X" or "go buy milk and eggs for the kind, old lady" sort of BS.
If you're worried about completionist stuff when it comes to Bethesda games, I wouldn't. Skyrim and Fallout 4 have systems in them that regularly refresh and create more content (not in the best of ways, honestly, but still enough to keep you going) so playing in order to "complete" the game isn't necessary. I'd just worry about completing quests in specific town and going from there. There's a limited number of important stuff in Fallout 4 which is interesting as well, like Power Armor, specific named Legendary weapons, bobbleheads, magazines, etc.
That's just telling him to not be a completionist in the first place.

Can also confirm that Mass Effect, and, to a lesser extent Dragon Age, are pretty good. Recommend playing them before ever getting a Witcher game, in which case they'll probably still be super enjoyable. (Worked for me.)

Last edited:

Requiem

That's just telling him to not be a completionist in the first place.
In a way it is, but I think it's important to point out with those two Bethesda games in particular that the player is able to parse out specific things for the sake of "completion". The game doesn't want you to complete literally every quest because it creates more radiant quests on its own, but all of the unique stuff is fairly finite and able to be attained to the point where there's nothing else to get. For a completionist, there are things in fallout 4 and Skyrim that can definitely be completed and gained without fear of them being renewed or added onto or what have you.

I guess for me knowing that radiant questing is a part of those games, it makes me less worried about doing quests and more about just getting the cool stuff.

Last edited:

13thforsworn

I would definitely recommend The Witcher 2. I wouldn't worry about the completionist aspect of the game, if the side quest interests you, then do it. If not, don't.

I'd also recommend Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Also a really great story driven game 3rd person shooter/RPG.

Requiem

Yeah, Deus Ex has a lot going for it. They recently released a new version or patch or something of the game that adds a lot to it so that you can play it however you want to play it (originally the game was a great stealth if you want to, shoot if you want to, punch if you want to sort of game, all with different weapons allowing for pacifist or murderdeathkill runs, but not for the bosses as well). They really did a great job fixing the game up. I haven't played it, but I'm watching a play through of the new version that the super best friends are doing on YouTube and it looks more polished and well done than a play through I saw Jesse Cox do when the game first came out.

Steal Thy Kill

Alright so seems like I'm looking at:
Witcher 3 (2?)
Rise of the Tomb Raider
The Saboteur
Red Faction
Fable Trilogy
Dishonored
Deadpool
Brutal Legend
Thief

Still Considering:
Various large RPGs that aren't Witcher.
Lego Games.
Metal Gear Solid. Idk why I feel more hesitant about this one but I am.

I may very well just go in order of what's cheapest on Amazon.

Top Bottom