Monsters and Misfits OOC

What sort of rules do you want.

• Total voters

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
I'll probably just go free form with maybe a few dice rolls here and there for my own sanity and pacing. As fun as it might be it'd probably be a huge pain to do combat and figure out all the rules. Also I've never DM'd D&D and it'd probably be a month before I finished reading all the rule books.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Alright, so make sure that you have information about your race somewhere on your sheet, what sort of things you do and what weaknesses you might have. Also some general equipment and such. Keep in mind we're going to be starting at a metaphorically low level, but I'm not going to be overly strict on stuff, just keep it within reason.

Dunsparce

So what's everybody else's character gonna be? Is the fact that Vance and Easy voted an indication that they'll be playing too, or is that some kind of clever ironic joke that's too advanced for mere mortals to comprehend?

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Easy said he had something planned but needed time because he was working on a different D&D campaign character. Riyant is going to be a ghost revenant sort of thing. Tirin is a demon guy who used to be an aasimar when he was alive. Vance hasn't spoken to me about anything so I'll just assume nothing.

Also I'll update the map with the new one I made with names of places. You'll be starting out at Ralith.

Oh also, pick a language other than common that you know.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Sorry I haven't made much progress on things. Been really busy and stressed lately. Although I would appreciate it if people finished their sheets to give me more to work on.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
I've been busy enough myself that it's been difficult to do more than crank out a post in Driftmoore, but I plan on finishing up tonight.

Dunsparce

Since I don't think I put a hard enough point on it originally, and since you specifically asked for disadvantages in your edited OP, I want to say that my character has no natural aptitude for charisma at all. If we were doing character sheets, she'd have exactly one point in charisma. Part of her personal quest is to improve her charisma, but at the start of her adventure she'll come across to most people as either autistic or psychopathic.

Also, she doesn't really have equipment to start out with. There's no reason she can't use weapons or armor, but her weird Mimic instincts compel her to just attack with pseudopods or make fake weapons, both of which would just deal unarmed strike damage. She's also got a high strength score, since she's, ya know, evolved to fight like that.

Advantages: Mimicry, selectively adhesive skin & strength.
Disadvantages: Charisma & common sense.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Alright, I've got a decent chunk of the start of the tale planned out and I updated the sheet template a bit. I'll probably be ready to start sometime after all the sheets are posted. I added in a part where you say your character's goals and why they have come to the island where you will all start out (Ralith). This is kind of important as I need to figure out why you guys are in a party together and what direction to kick things off.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
-Name: Lord Azureoth, the Awoken

-Gender: Male, for what it's worth. Although, contrary to any impressions that might be given by the popular teen romance novel Fifty Shades of Decay, Liches are not really sexual beings in general.

-Race: Lich

-Racial abilities, perks, and disadvantages: Eternal (un)life, mastery of the dark art of necromancy, strong sorcerous ability and knowledge combined with high physical strength and resilience. Other perks include the hidden phylactery from which their body will regenerate if destroyed, the ability to maintain intellectual ability and even sanity, (if it can be called such), indefinitely, in theory, as well as keen senses and the lack of any need to eat or sleep.

Disadvantages include the lack of ability to preserve the fleshy tissues of the body against rotting, so that they slowly peel away and are lost over time. The extent to which a lich is composed only of pure, polished white bones can be used as a rough visual basis for estimating their power level, as the whitest and boniest among them would have existed for longer than their fleshier counterparts.

-Goals: To become the most powerful and widely-feared villain in all of Sairenoth, and be immortalized in myth and legend. But since he's a big believer in working step-by-step, right now he's just shooting for a fan club, to start.

-Why did you come to Ralith: In search of minions to recruit, and/or subjugate, and/or slaughter and reanimate in a cold, twisted mockery of the very concept of love and life itself.

-Description/Personality:
A small, pale, stooped-over middle aged man with mousy brown hair combed over in a desperate, but futile attempt to hide the gleaming bald spot in the middle of his dome. To that end, a gaudy-looking crown beset with a haphazard arrangement of pricey jewels does a little better at obscuring sight of the feature, for anyone not tall enough to look directly over it.

The self-titled "Lord" Azureoth walks with a nervous shuffle and talks in a high-pitched squeal, doing his best to look imperious and intimidating in his faded and patched, black robes regardless. It usually only kind of starts to work when he reaches the point of flying in the air and throwing lighting from his hands, though - often squeaking with righteous indignation as he does so.

-Backstory: A hundred years ago, he was just an unusually small and bookish young student at the Magical Arts and Sciences branch of the University. Fed up with a whole childhood spent being mocked and picked on for his size and - let's face it - general lack of charm, the kid was quite shocked to find out that even in the University, he remained on the bottom of the social totem pole among his fellow students. Since getting good grades on his exams and learning a lot about magic didn't actually seem to translate directly into battle prowess for the most part, he went for a degree in Arcane Medicine, and used what he learned there as the basis for individual study after graduating, in which he learned to slow down his aging process to the point where he was eventually able to work out a ritual for transforming himself into a lich.

It hasn't yet occurred to him that all the people he wanted to show off his newfound power to would be dead by now. It has, however, occurred to him that becoming a vessel of great power wasn't the same thing as actually being great and powerful. Although somewhat depressed by the realization that he's spent most of a century trying to suddenly achieve ultimate power, only to have eventually accomplished but the very first step to that process, he's reluctantly pressing on to start trying to make a name for himself. No turning back at this point anyway, even if he'd wanted to.

-General equipment: Arcane Rod of Power (it's a stick with a piece of onyx tied to the end of it); Crown of the Lich Azureoth the Awoken, Lord of the Dead (he saw it in town on one of his trips for supplies a couple of decades ago, and nervously bought the tacky thing on the basis that it looked impressive (it doesn't)); patched, faded black robes; sandals; a purse full of gold, and another one full of silver. That's it, really.

Last edited:

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
I finally hit that post. Lemme know what you think, if there are any changes you'd like made or something.

Elliot

Confirmed Robot
Name: Six
Race: Changeling

Racial abilities, perks, and disadvantages: Descended from half-humans, half-doppelgangers, changelings are masters of disguise and intrigue. They are able to take the form of any medium-sized humanoid that they’ve seen before, and can mimic the sounds, and speech of other creatures, that they’ve heard for at least a minute. Changelings are natural actors, liars, and polyglots, and they excel at learning new languages.

Slim and frail in natural appearance, changelings do actually take the form of beings they impersonate, both limited by and able to take advantage of the physical characteristics of those beings (although just because someone is a champion athlete doesn’t mean the changeling in their form would be; see the Cristiano Ronaldo bodyswap commercial). They absolutely can’t change into objects, or change their equipment along with them, and changing form is somewhat exhausting. Doing so repeatedly without a short rest tends to make them heavily fatigued. When killed, they revert to their true form.

Goals: Six is fond of ‘collecting’ new forms that they find interesting, useful, or intriguing. In the short term, they like meeting new people and doing their particular form of “people-watching”. In the long run, they’re interested in finding a group of people around whom they can be themself.

Why did you come to Ralith: To lay low for a bit and keep out of the spotlight; the smaller town is a welcome change of pace and an easy place to live comfortably

Description/Personality: Physically, Six’s true form is unsettling. Their flesh is pale, like the color of marble sculpture. Their facial features – nose, ears, and lips – are more like gentle protuberances suggesting the shape but without detailing them. Their eyes, white and featureless, again suggest unpainted marble, with black rings encircling them. They are fairly tall, but abnormally slender, and entirely hairless aside from the hair on their head, which is a very pale blonde, like a tow-headed kid, and quite long.

Ordinarily, Six enjoys wearing bright, eye-catching colors, but they also have a set of non-descript traveling clothes and a set of dark leather armor.

Six generally has a fairly carefree attitude and is a bit of a goof. They take a great deal of amusement in doing “impressions” of other people. Even so, they can be quite charming and have a knack for talking their way into things. They’re also quite curious and follow things through to the end “just to see” even when it’s not in their best interest to do so.

Backstory: Six lived a childhood that was genuinely fairly normal. They made friends easily, the way children do. Their parents appeared human, and encouraged them to mind their abilities, and though a few ‘incidents’ happened that forced them to leave wherever they’d taken up residence, Six was generally protected from the aftermath of such incidents, or even the awareness that it was their fault.

In their adolescence, however, Six revealed their true form to someone they foolishly placed their trust in. In that case, there was no escape; their entire family’s secret was exposed, and while Six managed to flee, their parents were killed as ‘monsters’, despite the fact that they had both genuinely served and contributed to the community like any other person.

If ordinary society was not a safe place even for inoffensive people like their parents, Six sought out somewhere where their abilities wouldn’t have to be always hidden – even as they learned to hide them better, and to use them to their advantage. They joined the Shroud, a secretive organization of spies and assassins that served Emarin, the elvish pretender-king who hoped to restore the glory of the former Girasine Empire and reclaim all that they’d lost, including the glorious Gilded City, once-capital, that had fallen into the hands of humanity.

Infiltrating the courts of other nations and providing information to the Shroud was easy enough for someone who could literally live the life of a servant, or a trusted courtier. Six became an incredibly valuable field asset, both spy and assassin, and for the most part they enjoyed the work, although it was often incredibly tiring working almost exclusively alone in the field, or developing minor attachments to people -- their nominal enemies -- who they couldn’t form a real connection with. Working in a court and having to take on the personality of someone terribly serious and boring could also be grating.

Things changed after a failed assassination attempt of the human King Hasef, who sits on the throne of the Gilded City. Though it was not Six’s mission, the failed agent was captured, and much of the network of the Shroud compromised, including Six’s own position. With the court suddenly on alert and hostile to a face-changing agent, and with their career suddenly seeming more tenuous, Six decided to seek new horizons, setting off from the continent and finding their way to the small port village of Ralith, where they could at least temporarily live a quieter life, often performing for money.

General equipment: A set of sewing materials and fabric in order to create/modify clothing to fit various forms; flashy clothes; traveling clothes; thick leather armor; a pair of daggers; venom; a healthy coinpurse

Last edited:

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Okay making a change, everyone gets to pick languages. Be reasonable, and have it make sense for your character. Human is the most "common" but not spoken everywhere.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
I added some stuff to the compendium in the OP. I'll be filling in more as I finish it up and as you meet different things and people. Also while I would like everyone to stick together I could have people do their own things if they really want to.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Okay, with Riyant done I think I'll work on starting things up. Of course if anyone wants to join midway through that's fine too. I just need to ask a couple people a few things and think things out, then I'll work on starting things up.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Oh, one more thing about the world. The only realms are Heaven, Hell, and the material plane. None of those twenty other realms exist. Also, I'm going for a very sandbox style feel. Feel free to do whatever the heck you want, or even split off from others. I'll do my best to accommodate.

So this first section is for me to stall for time to introduce your characters if you want, and show everyone what you're character is like or how they act. If you or your character wants to find out anything about what's going on or stuff now's a generally good time too.

This segment will go on about until everyone's character decides to retire for the night.

Top Bottom