Oh shit son...

Lumpy

There's pretty good evidence that the Syrian government was responsible for chemical attacks in 2013. We know that the Syrian government had access to the types of chemical weapons involved (US + Syria + Russia worked to then decrease Syria's existing chemical weapons stock after the 2013 attacks), we know that the Syrian government had access to the types of rockets used in the 2013 attacks, we have no evidence of insurgents ever using these types of rockets, and we have a clear motive for why the Syrian government would want to launch a chemical attack in these locations - they were opposition-contolled (https://www.hrw.org/report/2013/09/10/attacks-ghouta/analysis-alleged-use-chemical-weapons-syria).
Huh. It still makes far more sense for just about anyone BUT Assad to have used them. One thing I remember was that around the time of the incident, the US releasing a map of government controlled territory. Then the UN were granted permission to inspect, just in time for a second chemical attack mind you, and then put out a report that showed the weapons used couldn't have reached if fired from the known government territory shown in the US map.

Apparently America did respond to that problem by saying the map they released was not fully up to date, and releasing a new one. I basically figured that's what the response would be, but it's fair, contested zones will switch hands quite a bit in a war. With the updated map, it's not only possible for it to have been the government, but the bombs would have come from the direction of government held territory as well.

It certainly seems fair to be suspicious as well still. Chemical attacks almost garuntee western intervention and meddling. America wants intervention. Qatar and Saudi Arabia want intervention. The FSA, ISIS and other rebel factions want intervention. The EU. Turkey in particular seems to really want it for some reason. Israel obviously wants intervention. But why Assad? He could have killed those children with conventional bombs and no one would have gave half a shit.

Anyway, now that the dust has settled, has anyone changed their opinion on how Trump handled it? Provided he continues with his current policy towards Syria, I actually think it was a good move.

Last edited:
Top Bottom