OVERWATCH

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
The animation was tight, and as much as it showed that part of being a good tank is shielding your team and keeping them safe, Balderich also demonstrated that sometimes you need to go balls deep and sacrifice yourself to secure a victory. I also like how that it showed how goddamn monstrous the Crusaders were in melee combat in their peak; it seems pretty evident that the ravages of time and years of fighting wore down Rein's body and his armor, and he's still stronk as all fuck.

The top 8 in the Overwatch Worlds was today; I watched the first two games of the Canada vs. Australia match, and we lost them both. I was pleasantly surprised when we swept for the comeback win. Our next opponent is Sweden; if we win that, it's France or South Korea - and, knowing their reputation in vidya in general, I would bank on the latter. Hopefully we'll smack 'em down, but our match was the closest of the top 8 (and Sweden's win was a 3-0 savaging against the UK); we may just be outmatched.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
We need some Crusaders up in here!
They couldn't make it to Worlds.

The animation was tight, and as much as it showed that part of being a good tank is shielding your team and keeping them safe, Balderich also demonstrated that sometimes you need to go balls deep and sacrifice yourself to secure a victory. I also like how that it showed how goddamn monstrous the Crusaders were in melee combat in their peak; it seems pretty evident that the ravages of time and years of fighting wore down Rein's body and his armor, and he's still stronk as all fuck.
Yeah, man. They were absolutely nuts.
I wanted to get back into playing Reinhardt after my friend sucked as him. I played a match on Lunar when the enemy team was defending. I went up, rocket blasted and charged through the enemy team, pinning their reinhardt and killing him with a swing before dying to the enemy team. They died. Mercy resurrected me. We captured the point in our first push. It felt great.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Alright, so Moira's pretty damn good. Like with Sombra and Doomfist releases, she's another hero that's absolutely worthless if you use her incorrectly - only this time, she's downright amazing if you don't, and solving that problem for the enemy team isn't as simple as picking up a good Winston or a semi-competent McCree or Soldier.

It's entirely possible that some things about her, like the cooldown on her invulnerability dash or the lock range on her damage orbs, are gonna get some hella nerf. It's also quite possible that other things, like her literal inability to deal any damage to Torb turrets, will get fixed/buffed. In the meantime, here's some things to keep in mind if you're trying it:

Moira's literal inability to deal damage to Torb turrets: This is a rock fact. The only possible way Moira can damage a Torb turret, as it stands right now, is to melee attack it. Well, that or ult it. Right-click and damage orb do nothing, although oddly enough, right-click works just fine for killing Symmetra turrets. (Orb still doesn't, though, which is fair 'cause it'd be broken at it otherwise.)

Moira's healing: Is like an AoE Mercy heal in front of you, and that's not even counting the orbs. Just be sure to farm up biotic charge with the right-click, because if you're focusing on healing all the time then you're gonna run out of that charge before you know it, and it refills really slowly on its own.

Moira's right-click mode: Is much longer-range than you think. It doesn't lock on like Symm beam does, though, and it doesn't give the audio tick to let you know when you're dealing damage with it (nor does it visibly do a whole lot of said damage), so it can be hard to tell at first just how far away you can hit people from. The answer is: Surprisingly far, but you have to actually aim it right at them.

Moira's dash: Sweet, sweet fuck, but this is a powerful ability. Hella fast, guided dash which makes you invisible and, perhaps most importantly, makes you completely invulnerable. Junkrat ult ain't shit. D.Va ult ain't shit. Look death in the eye, hop, step, and laugh. And on a six-second cooldown, too - what the heck, Blizz? I mean, I'll take it, but...

(Also: As it stands right now, Junkrat trap does not prevent Moira from using this ability. It does, however, still prevent her from moving while cloaked and invincible. Further testing required to determine if Gravitron fails to block it as well.)

Moira's orbs: If you're dueling somebody or trying to back up a team that's fighting in front of you, healing orb is likely the way to go. Unless the person you're dueling is best fought by bursting them down hella quick, or your team doesn't need a Zenyatta-ult level of healing for the fight, in which case damage orb is totally the way to go. Either way, be sure to keep in mind the bouncing. Moira's a total boss at fighting in tight spaces because of it, and bouncing it around corners at long range is a great way to farm ult charge. Here's a pretty good example of the latter.

Moira's ult: Not nearly as powerful as the preview video would have you believe, but still a decently good ultimate thanks to its general utility and low charge requirement. Like with her orbs, good zone control is the key to using this ult; you want to run it through as many enemies and as many teammates as you can get lined up together in front of you, so you can damage a bunch of enemies while healing a bunch of teammates, and said teammates can take hits for you in the meantime because you're extra fast, but still vulnerable while you're using it. Here's a pretty good example of a nice ult lineup.

In closing: Hella fun character to play. Slightly tricky, but not too hard to get the hang of after a little bit. Capable of doing hella damage, hella healing - and without even needing to sacrifice the one for the other. Whether she needs serious nerf or not remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see it happen pretty soon.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
This is a rock fact.

Inevitably you're going to have to watch Over the Garden Wall, m8. Otherwise people are going to think you already did.

(Because that's where I stole the Rock Fact Joke from
((That's also a rock fact))

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Blizzard has released a patch on PTR fixing a lot of Doomfist's bugs, which really make him feel a lot more consistent and less shitty than he used to. On the other hand, there are still fucking plenty of them, like certain situations where his seismic slam doesn't knock up a target or, most egregiously, moments where the rocket punch goes clean through somebody without doing any damage - which, I gotta say, is one of the most cheatery goddamn ways to lose out on a kill in the entire game, especially since you usually end up deep in enemy lines and insanely vulnerable. In the span of two games I missed out on a few - one on a Dva who had just gotta into her mech and the other straight down a narrow hallway where (I think) I hit a Genji mid-dash while aiming for the McCree behind him and he just... didn't take damage or get stunned. Given how that interacts with every other ability - such as Rein's pins or Roadhog's hook - that really needs to change.

On the other hand, I got a couple really sweet POTGs and near-POTGs on Blizzard world, among them this clearly glitched Genji one (you'll see that the Rein, with about 50 health, miracle jukes that first sword attack; I thought I was fucked and the ult was wasted, and got pleasantly surprised) and this insanely baller Doomfist point guard slam dunk. As Easy can confirm, I called that second one as POTG right after it happened - and I'll admit, I'd have been salty as a mothefucker if it wasn't.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Update: PTR is a painfully fucking awful experience overall, the team balance is nonexistent and every single game you ever play will have at least two of the following on your team:
1) a player < level 50
2) no tank or one tank
3) no healer or one healer
4) a hanzo pick
5) a widow pick
6) a pick directly into multiple counters of that hero
7) people who never group
8) people who keep fighting long after a fight has been lost and die alone every single time
9) tanks who don't know how to get in front of the rest of the team
10) a player in bronze or low silver

Legitimately, it's unbelievable how horrible these people are, and by extension how horrible the matchmaking on PTR is. I get that it's supposed to try and test changes across all skill levels, but that isn't effectively accomplished at all because of the retarded differences in skill levels in games. It's so much worse than quick play that is boggles the mind; if Easy and I were to pick up a few QP or arcade games, I'd be shocked if we ever saw a lone bronze player once. On PTR we had different ones on our team for multiple games in a row.

Moral of the story: PTR is trash, don't play it, demand Blizzard makes it less shit.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Yeah, dude, I'm sure it's impossible to create a fucking half-decent matchmaking system for it without prior testing, which they've had months of.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
They should really do some player testing with PTR to make sure it's good before they release it to everyone, y'know?
>tfw the testing server is way behind the main server

13thforsworn

I imagine that it's queuing you with shit people because nobody plays the PTR so they have to make do with the player pool they have. And people being below level 50 doesn't mean anything because you have to level your PTR account separate from the main game. So if someone was level 27 when they logged in to test Ana when she was released, then their PTR account started at level 27 and probably didn't play much after that except for the week when a new hero dropped. In the meantime, their main account has probably prestiged several times by now.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Nah, it uploads a copy of your main account to PTR every patch or week or whatever. Regularly, in any case.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Dunno what to tell you, there. Mine's pretty up to date, give or take a month or so. Got all my unlocks from last Halloween event on it.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Looking back on my saved videos, I see here one that I saved for a particular reason a while back: because it's absolute bullshit that Tirin got the PotG for this moment. https://giant.gfycat.com/VillainousGoodAstrangiacoral.webm

(You'll recognize Tirin as the scrub Doomfist who kills nobody with his ult, and then gets instagibbed by the Roadhog I subsequently destroy in a shotgun battle.)

Top Bottom