Server Hardware Change Notice

RECONmaster

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
TLDR said:
This change of hardware should happen in the course of a few hours tomorrow. The plan is close the websites and transfer them during the hours of 12AM to 4AM on May 2nd. In the event that the transfer goes wrong, we may additionally need some time during May 3rd. We're hoping for a smooth transition, as I've had experience with the software and hardware being used.

It's been a while since the last time we changed server hardware, and considering our past that means we're overdue for a change. This time around we'll be switching off of dedicated hardware and into a cloud based VPS. Don't consider it a downgrade as much as a lateral movement. While we won't be on a dedicated server instead we'll have better hardware but with the downside of existing on a shared server. For the layman, there should be generally no change. We will be switching back to a Linux based OS, simply because: A) They do server stuffs better; B) I like them better; C) They're cheaper; D) They're easier to secure.

With this change, Mach Entertainment will loose its ability to host games. This isn't a major change however considering that in the past few months we haven't hosted anything. We sat on this server hoping that one day a game would catch the fancy of the community as a whole and we could all share a nice server together but I'll probably die of old age before that happens.

We do have plans for reentering game hosting if we ever decide we want to, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

This change of hardware should happen in the course of a few hours tomorrow. The plan is close the websites and transfer them during the hours of 12AM to 4AM 1PM to 4PM on May 2nd. In the event that the transfer goes wrong, we may additionally need some time. We're hoping for a smooth transition, as I've had experience with the software and hardware being used.

Last edited:
Top Bottom