Server Optimizations: Networking

RECONmaster

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Since the move to the new server, I've been learning and working with a new server environment and today was no different. I noticed from the very beginning that the server had an issue with Time to First Byte response. Basically, after the client sends a request, it took a while for the server to respond with a relevant file. This is visualized in modern browsers as the time the loading wheel spins backwards while it connects to the server.

wheel.png

Beginning the day of diagnostics the server's Time to First Byte was around 1.25s. No matter what though, it always averaged over 1 second.
before.png

It was probably the first thing I noticed once the web server was up. I pushed the issue to the back burner though because this issue was minor and while annoying to me; there were other issues to attend to. Today was spent tracking down the source of this latency and figuring out a fix.

I can gladly say this long lived issue has been taken care of.

after.png

Time to First Byte is now significantly lower from a measurable and perceivable standpoint. Users should be able to notice the improvement in the server's response time. I hope you enjoy the drop in latency of 1.23 seconds, which in terms of Time to First Byte optimization is a significant improvement.

Digressing from my server showboating, I turn the point of this post towards the users. I would like to take the time to assist members who are having issues with connection to the server. There were small lapses of time during the implementation of forwarders, redirects, and DNS records that a user might have obtained a faulty file that may result in a rather unfavorable experience. Any user experiencing weird connections issues such as long page loads should feel free to contact me via this thread or PM.

Thanks users,
RECONmaster

13thforsworn

I find it amusing that taking slightly longer than 1 second to load is a problem in the 21st century. Gotta go fast.

RECONmaster

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
I find it amusing that taking slightly longer than 1 second to load is a problem in the 21st century. Gotta go fast.
I remember the old Windows 98 computer. Basically you pressed to power button, did something else for a while and came back to it.

Top Bottom