SITREP #00001

RECONmaster

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Excuse the title, I've been playing a little too much Arma 3 (A military sim game) and couldn't help myself.

First and foremost, I would like to thank the donors once again for keeping our site alive for this long. A specific shoutout goes to @Milamber for his very generous donations that have assured that we have made our goals for the past couple of months. Unfortunately, we did not make our goal last month, actually we didn't receive any donations at all last month. So this month I'll foot the bill so we can continue to exist and do what we do. I don't have a whole lot of money so, I can't do this too often.

In hopes of improving the site, Mach has began the work required to implement a Content Delivery Network. This should speed things up and increase security for the site. At the moment the project is on hold as we work things out but the end result should be a faster content delivery with less strain on the server. Over the upcoming days we should see the improvements and maybe a few issues as we work out what can and cannot be cached on the CDN. If you notice any problems, make sure to contact us.

Mach Entertainment's inner circle has been in talks about expanding the site. At the moment we host a community and while that's something it's not exactly going to generate additional traffic. So while nothing is final, with no specific dates mentioned, we've decided to add a real home page along with a section of the site that hopefully will be occupied by creative content such as web comics and things of that nature. While not exactly a stride in the most original direction it's an idea we had and it seems like it could be fun for us.

On the other hand, we have stopped hosting Rust. Rust being in early development is updated on a daily basis and keeping up with that on the server side is a bit frustrating. Automation is also a bit hard to employ considering the nature of the updates and the software we use to run the server. While we had it though, we did have a decent attendance with the majority stating how they liked the server and how well it ran. Such a shame that we have decided that we no longer wish to continue down that path.

Now we'll continue to a section where each individual will be able to state what they've been up to.

Alexander Jimenez (RECONmaster): For the most part I've been working to improve the site in a general sense of the word. Recently you might have noticed the implementation of the SSL certificate. There was also other things that I've added that do not pertain to the website that will hopefully be useful. Some other sites that are owned by family members also exist on our server too. I've been working on getting a system working where they can conduct administrative tasks on their own without directly logging into the server. Also, if you read above, I'm currently working on enlisting the power of a content delivery network. This should be a general improvement for the site. We'll see what happens though.

Billy Stevenson (Artist "The New Jesus" Unknown): Basically all I've been doing recently is working on finishing FrogMan and Pico. It is my main priority until it's done which should be in April. Other than basically animating all day every day I've also been doing some conceptual stuff. I've been trying to come up with ideas for future works and just doing general planning. I've been wanting to make some live action stuff too but with Alex and I being in different states now, that's not going to happen. For now I'll continue to work on FrogMan and Pico, which is almost done, and get ideas for stuff to do eventually. When FrogMan and Pico is finished I won't be immediately available to do stuff for the website 'cause I have a commission to do for a friend, but that should only take a few more months, so I should be done with my prior commitments by June or so and then things can finally start moving forward here!

Walrus

I see three ways to look at the donations issue
1) Expand the donor base and encourage more donation from current members
2) Increase the non-donation revenue of the site
3) Find ways to make maintaining the server cheaper.

I see that you have a plan for #1 and I'm a big fan of that approach. Getting a web comic hosted on the front page of the site would be fantastic and would draw people in as part of that comic's community. I've also been talking to friends of mine about how fun and creative this place is, and some of them are considering joining. Have to ask, though: Is there anything currently being considered for #2 and/or #3?

Last edited:
Top Bottom