Somebody broke in their house and tried to kill Gavin Free and Meg Turney (Youtubers)

13thforsworn

https://www.abqjournal.com/1132259/abq-man-targeted-youtube-celebrities.html

I'm a big Rooster Teeth fan, and this is fucking insane. In case you don't know who they are, Gavin Free works for Rooster Teeth as part of Achievement Hunter and is often in other productions like the RT Podcast. He also has another Youtube channel called Slow Mo Guys where he films stuff in slow motion with a special camera that lets him film at incredibly high frame rates. His girl friend is former Source Fed host and former RT employee Meg Turney, who has a vlog type YT channel and does a lot of cosplay.

So this dude drove 11 hours to their house to literally murder them because he was obsessed with Meg and hated Gavin. Mind boggling.

AndyM03

Wow was about to post the same thread.

I'm not an RT fan anymore but i'm actually still a big fan of Gavins' work and this was a chilling news story to see.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
What the fuck. That's actually bonafide, grade-A fucking insane. I'm sorry for the two of them and thankful that neither of them is dead.

I don't watch a lot of RT anymore (but I occasionally listen to the podcasts), and I really have no idea at all what could lead some rando to want either of them dead beyond serious issues upstairs.

Tag_Ross

I've been getting back into RT lately (mostly AH) and this is really fucking sad.

I'm glad the response time was so short.

Requiem

It's a classic case of a fan going nuts and letting his life revolve around these specific figures. If he couldn't kill both of them, the shooter said he wanted to at least kill Meg so that Gavin would grow old and have no kids. I'm paraphrasing, but that's info they found when authorities searched his home and pulled evidence. Dude was a gamer who watched tons of youtube and just lost reality, far as we know at least. I'd like to believe he went totally out of his mind and this wasn't a thing he did in his right mind, but who knows?

Totally fucked up. Gavin is a great guy and Meg is very focused on her career, so she has this reputation of being a bitch. Fans are shitty though, Meg is just as cool as Gavin, but with a bird's eye view on all of this, I can vaguely see the grain of sand that justified this guy's horrible actions in his own mind. Just playing devil's advocate here. Youtube fans are fucking nuts in how far they take this shit sometimes and this is how extreme it can get. I say fan just because... what else do we call him in relation to them? Thankfully he didn't accomplish his goals. Fuck this whole situation.

Dunsparce

I think the lesson to be learned here is the value of privacy. I'm not a fan of either of 'em, so I don't know if they were just completely open about where they live or if they just made a random comment that the guy latched onto, but either way they really shoulda been more careful about their private information. If my Dunsparce YouTube channel ever takes off (as I'm sure it will any day now) I'm not even gonna admit to the damn country I live in.

Requiem

I think the lesson to be learned here is the value of privacy. I'm not a fan of either of 'em, so I don't know if they were just completely open about where they live or if they just made a random comment that the guy latched onto, but either way they really shoulda been more careful about their private information. If my Dunsparce YouTube channel ever takes off (as I'm sure it will any day now) I'm not even gonna admit to the damn country I live in.
Eh, you can easily find people's information even if they try to be careful and hide their shit. Not to mention if your employer is a popular web content provider, like RoosterTeeth, that's based in one single place more or less, it's not hard to guess what city you live in.

It's pretty much not their fault at all that this guy went crazy and tried to kill them.

AndyM03

It's a perfectly sensible and grammatically correct title, unlike your post which doesn't even have fucking punctuation.
Mhmm, 13th's written a sentence, but it's not a title. Stop being a twat.

You're right though, it's crazy how vulnerable semi-famous people are. Apparently Gavin had a lot of cameras and other security measures that some people had previously made fun of him for. I'm sure some of his security equipment helped with the rapid response. Last time I ever had to call the cops it took the cunts an hour, but that's the suburbs for you.

13thforsworn

Totally fucked up. Gavin is a great guy and Meg is very focused on her career, so she has this reputation of being a bitch.
It's a shame that a woman is considered a bitch for being assertive and not putting up with bullshit. Meanwhile Michael Jones does the exact same thing and nobody bats an eye because he's a self-proclaimed asshole and that's considered okay. Not tryna flame Michael, I just use him as an example because they often compare themselves to each other, and compare Gavin and Lindsay (also an RT employee and Michael's wife) to each other. Double standards eh?

Requiem

It's a shame that a woman is considered a bitch for being assertive and not putting up with bullshit. Meanwhile Michael Jones does the exact same thing and nobody bats an eye because he's a self-proclaimed asshole and that's considered okay. Not tryna flame Michael, I just use him as an example because they often compare themselves to each other, and compare Gavin and Lindsay (also an RT employee and Michael's wife) to each other. Double standards eh?
Exactly. Meg left SourceFed and SourceFedNerd to go work at RoosterTeeth and while it seemed odd to switch over so quickly, it did her well and her career is going fine. She's just very serious about making "this whole youtube thing" work on her own terms and she's doing fine, all things considered. Fans like to take shit needlessly personal though, so they think she abandoned SourceFed or that all she cares about is her career and it's just silly.

13thforsworn

Exactly. Meg left SourceFed and SourceFedNerd to go work at RoosterTeeth and while it seemed odd to switch over so quickly, it did her well and her career is going fine. She's just very serious about making "this whole youtube thing" work on her own terms and she's doing fine, all things considered. Fans like to take shit needlessly personal though, so they think she abandoned SourceFed or that all she cares about is her career and it's just silly.
Which is retarded, because Phil DeFranco always intended for SourceFed to be like a farm team for talent, if I'm understanding what he's said in the past correctly. Build talent up in the minor leagues, now they're all-stars and it's time for the big leagues, whether that be in his organization or somewhere else. Pretty much almost all of original cast of SourceFed moved on at some point.

Requiem

Yep! That's pretty much it exactly. It's just that since Meg intentionally made it a point to leave early on when there was little to no reason to leave, fans "took offense" to that. It's just a whole bunch of stupidity.

Top Bottom