Tales from Driftmoore [OOC]

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Setting: The setting will focus on an older Massachusetts town: Driftmoore. Driftmoore is a small, but thriving city due to the influx of richer visitors that live in the forested bay. In the city, the school system is small - two public schools and a private university. The town is mostly filled with wandering teenagers and the occasional businessman that is there for a meeting. Massive chain stores have yet to reach this area due to their low population as they are lucky to even have a shopping center with a super market.

Name: (Please put your name here. Odd names and nicknames are acceptable, but nothing incredibly ridiculous.)
Age: (How old you are? The age range is from 10 to 80. As long as you are able to move and investigate.)
Appearance: (Describe your character's appearance. How they look, birthmarks, scars, clothing style.)
Personality: (Describe your character's personality. This doesn't have to be very detailed, just enough to get an idea of your character.)
Life History: ( Major events that happened in your character's life that guided them as a parents. Parents, childhood trauma, a first love, etc.)
How did you come to Driftmoore?: (You have come to Driftmoore at some point in your life. You could have been born here, moved here, visited a relative or a business partner. You MUST have interacted with the town in some direct way.)
Personal Memento: (Everyone has a memento. It could be a wedding ring, your parent's old school ring, a toy from when you were a child. What is it and do they still have it?)
Misc: (Any sort of trivia about your character)

Character Sheet
Code:
Name: 
Appearance:
Personality:
Life History: 
How did you come to Driftmoore?:
Personal Memento: 
Misc:
A final note:

My philosophy of role-playing has immensely changed. I'm not sure how this will translate into forum RP though. I've had players in my Dungeons & Dragons game send me a .doc file with five pages of their family heritage and back story. They insist that it's the best character they've written, but when they come to the table, they're bland and vapid. Your back story does not define your character - your actions do. If you write about how your character is observant in a back story, demonstrate it.

For example:

Observant Player lost his train of thought when something blinded him temporarily. He looked over at the glimmering golden watch that stood out against Tony's tanned skin. The watch look was worn as anyone could tell from the scratches along the gilded loops that clung tightly. The watch clung tightly... Tony must have visited the watchmaker recently. "Hey, New watch, Tony?"

Lastly, please feel free to build the world and interact with it. If you're a school kid and you have friends, feel free to control them and use them as props. I will control them when it matters. If you personally don't like the butcher in town because of his scar or his bald head - there is a bald, scarred butcher that doesn't like you.

Any questions, comments, or concerns, please let me know.

Shizno

Hmm, this is either a slice-of-life or some weird shit will start to happen. Either way, my interest in piqued. I'll make a half-decent sheet tomorrow, as soon as I think of a character concept that I'm happy with.

Tolvan

Campaign Killer
Name: Tolvan Veralin

Appearance: About 5'4", long blond hair, pale skin, purple eyes, thin. Think Edward Elric when his hair isn't in a ponytail. Only with purple eyes and no automail, or Joshua from The World Ends With You. Tolvan usually wears purple and black, with an emphasis on the latter. When he isn't required not to, he wears his cloak. Otherwise he wears a somewhat long black sweater. Tolvan is often listening to video game music on his smartphone, which he carries everywhere.

Personality: Kind of a smartass. Creative and impulsive. Surprisingly confident and personable while being somewhat introverted. Basically, my personality. I will act naturally.

Life History: Tolvan has had a relatively uneventful life and has caring parents and a younger brother. He grew up just outside of Worcester, Mass. and spends his time gaming, reading, hiking, and fencing. He recently graduated from high school and is planning on going to a local college. Tolvan is highly intelligent, but sometimes acts without thinking. He is friendly and courteous to those he meets, but he's also somewhat introverted.

For as long as he can remember, Tolvan has been obsessed with fantasy, and as he got older that obsession only grew. He has reached the point where his heart burns with his desire to go to another world, one where he can live out his dreams. Tolvan believes that the closest thing to that is becoming a game designer and creating a world for himself.

How did you come to Driftmoore?: Tolvan has an uncle who lives in Driftmoore, and is currently visiting him. Tolvan does not own a car (or a liscence, though he can sort of drive), so he took a bus to Driftmoore. Tolvan is also doing an internship at the local high school, helping to tutor some students and co-teaching both a physics and a world history class.

Personal Memento: Cloak made by grandmother, who disappeared three years ago. Warm, but not stifling. Black with purple lining.* Also, his rapier, which for him symbolizes power to protect what matters.

Greatest Fear: Powerlessness.

Misc: Tolvan is a competent swordsman and owns a (well-made) rapier and a dagger. He knows multiple styles of swordplay, from Olympic saber to Japanese kendo to Italian rapier and dagger (his favorite style).*

*I have this in real life.

Last edited:

Shizno

Oh, hey, a half decent sheet, just as I promised.

Name:
Danial Graham

Appearance: Standing at a fairly short five feet three inches, many people tower over the boy. His figure is slim to the point of looking androgynous, if not outright feminine. A noticeable lack of muscle-tone or fat could explain why he only weighs ninety pounds. His brown hair is rather long, reaching down to his shoulders as it curls slightly at the ends. His eyes are a dark green hue that could be more described as teal. His face is free from many blemishes or spots, mostly because he takes very good care of his health and appearance.

His outfit in school will change from day-to-day, but unless it's a special occasion, he prefers to wear a simple shirt and pants; on warmer days, he will wear shorts that show his slender legs. If it is a special occasion, he wear wear one of his more intricately designed outfits; it could be an undershirt with a light jacket on top, or simply clothes that stand out more. One thing that is always the same is that he always prefers to wear bright colors as opposed to black and other dark shades.

Personality: Danial is the type of person that has never been into a fight. Not only out of fear, but because he hates confrontation. This includes both physical conflicts and arguments. When given an order, even one that he doesn't entirely agree with, he will most likely do it. This could be attributed to his cowardice and inability to argue, or him being submissive and finding some enjoyment in being told to do things he wouldn't. Either way, the point still stands: he has an inability to refute someone else.

However, most of the time Danial is actually quite a happy person. He tries to not draw much attention to himself, typically by speaking quieter than most people or even not talking at all if he thinks it's necessary. But again, despite his meekness, he is a friendly person to those willing to give him time to adjust to them. But that would imply that he isn't friendly to everyone that he can be; he's nice to everyone, no matter who they are, but when around someone he hasn't known for long, his nervousness in social situations comes out.

Life History: Danial was the first born of the Graham family; the second being his sister who is three years younger than him. Both he and his sister were born and raised in the town of Driftmoore, so neither personally know what it's like outside of the town other than from pictures and stories. Their father passed away when Danial was five, so he only has a few memories of him. He does wish he had known his father more than he did, but for the most part, he accepts his death.

His school life hasn't been entirely great. His fear of confrontation and causing more problems had made him a target for bullying. This has plagued Danial's life on and off for years. Once some sadistic soul decides to make the boy suffer, the only thing Danial can do is hope to outlast their interest in him; which could last months, if not years. It doesn't help that once one starts, others will join in as companions to the torment.

Because of his history being bullied, nobody wants to risk being treated the same way. This, combined with his natural meekness, has caused his number of friends over the years to be rather small. Although, those that do continue to be his friend are the ones that want to help him. However, he refuses their assistance, not wanting to make the bullying even worse or even possibly get his friends involved more than they already get for just associating with him.

Memento: A locket he wears around his neck that holds two pictures inside: one of his parents when they were younger, and newer picture of his younger sister. When he is in a stressful or tense situation, he will idly open and close the locket with his hand, if he has one free. This seems to bring him some amount of serenity. When bullies would come to beat him or other things bullies do to people, he will often hide the locket somewhere safe so they can't take and either break or hide it.

Worst Fear: As explored above, Danial has problems socially. He suffers from his overwhelming fear of confrontation, causing him to never be able to reject someone else's demands.

Last edited:

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
I might try this, although I am getting pretty busy lately and I never finished making a fantasy nation character, but first can you tell me what type of rp this will be, like what will we be doing?

Tolvan

Campaign Killer
Wow... Shinzo's character is practically a foil to mine. Same height, build, and hair length, yet also completely different... This will be interesting. In case it's not clear, I'm basically playing myself here, btw.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
It will predominantly be an investigative campaign set in modern times with mild supernatural elements.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
So will we be doing fighting? should our characters have some sort of fighting experiance?

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
So will we be doing fighting? should our characters have some sort of fighting experiance?
There might be some scrapping if the party members choose certain things, but I wouldn't really worry about fighting experience. Just make a character that will tell an interesting story.

Chickenspleen

I'll probably be making a character soon. I can't say I'll be the most active, though, as I have a lot of commitments right now.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Alright here's my mediocre character sheet, I don't really have any experience in role playing so I'll probably mess up a lot here and there.
Name: Thomson W. Onnes

Appearance: Standing at roughly 5'8' Thomson has slightly pale skin. He is pretty thin with weak arms but strong legs. He has short black hair that is fairly well kept, he is also heterochromia so his left eye is a light grey and his right eye is red. His left arm and a bit of his side was also badly scarred in a fire. Thomson tends to mainly wear a white shirt and a green jacket with a fur trimmed hood, with grey or black pants, and red fingerless gloves. Thomson doesn't care that much about fashion, but that doesn't mean he has bad taste in style.

Personality:Thomson is very introverted and likes to do everything alone, but he likes to help out people when he can and is very kind. He is fairly intelligent and responsible but is often very clumsy and always has his head in the clouds. He likes to think out things before he does them. Thomson is also a pessimist.

Life History: Thomson grew up as a single child in Driftmore, he was picked on a lot during his early school years and became an introverted bookworm. At the age of 8 he was in a big fire in a relatives house that killed his father and left him badly scarred. He lives alone in Driftmoore and has been running a small book shop there for a while.

How did you come to Driftmoore?: He was born and raised in Driftmoore, he currently goes to one of the public schools.

Personal Memento: He has red goggles that used to belong to his dad.

Misc: He started up and has been running a small bookshop for over a year. Thomson enjoys tinkering and metalworking. Thomson is also very good at chess. Thomson is an average sketcher. Has mild social anxiety.

Worst Fear:Changing (as a person not concerning clothes)

Last edited:

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
I'll probably be making a character soon. I can't say I'll be the most active, though, as I have a lot of commitments right now.
That's fine. Just note that I'd like to try to get a post a day out of everyone. If you cannot fulfill this deadline, would you be okay with me temporarily removing your character or et cetera? Given the context of the role-play, I think it might be easy to drop people suddenly then have them re-appear.

EDIT: Opening Post will occur when Chickenspleen and Milamber post their application.

Last edited:

Chickenspleen

That's fine. Just note that I'd like to try to get a post a day out of everyone. If you cannot fulfill this deadline, would you be okay with me temporarily removing your character or et cetera? Given the context of the role-play, I think it might be easy to drop people suddenly then have them re-appear.

EDIT: Opening Post will occur when Chickenspleen and Milamber post their application.
Oh yeah, that's fine with me. Working on an application now.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
I'd like to get in on this, but my sheet basically can't be up until this weekend. I've got a lotta shit to do tomorrow and I can all but guarantee I'll get roped into something on Friday.

Hold me a spot if you can.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Glad to see that every character so far is a teenage nerd.
well I've pretty much been recycling adjusting different aspects of a few characters into one I'm alright with for a few times now because everytime I never get to use the character.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
I'd like to get in on this, but my sheet basically can't be up until this weekend. I've got a lotta shit to do tomorrow and I can all but guarantee I'll get roped into something on Friday.

Hold me a spot if you can.
I'll wait until the weekend then. I have high hopes for the moderator of the role-play section.

Top Bottom