TC Wants to Buy a Desktop Except He's Dumb

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Okay, so like five years ago or so I asked you all for guidance on buying a laptop and it worked out wonderfully. I've used this laptop almost every day for several years, and it's still chugging along just fine.

Only problem is, time's gone by and I can't play the cool new games anymore. And when I can play games, I have to have them on low settings. And if I want to stream a game on Twitch, then that rules out most newer games by default on account of the processing required.

I definitely want to get a desktop computer, one with two monitors. But I don't know a ton about that world. I've been flirting with buying a desktop for over a year, but with Black Friday/Cyber Monday coming up I might actually have the money to get something that I won't regret 18 months down the line.

Hear of any great deals? Have any advice? How have you nerds gone about a process like this?

AndyM03

Shoutout to PCpartpicker, really great site. Helps for a dingus like me who wouldn't even think about part measurements.

Colonel Thunder

Right now I'm looking at the "Solid Streaming Build" listed here: http://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/streaming

Here are the specs, they total out to about $1215. That gives me about $300 left for two monitors, mouse and keyboard.

Graphics Card: GTX 1060
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600X
CPU Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx 400
Motherboard: MSI B350 PC Mate
RAM: 16 GB DDR4
Solid State Drive: Crucial MX300 275GB SSD
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB
Power Supply: EVGA GQ 650W
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S
Operating System: Windows 10

Does any of this seem bad or too over-the-top?

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
Those specs should last you a while. I think we were able to stream Mirrors Edge 2 with pretty nice quality once we figured out the right settings on my computer and my PC is a bit less in the processor and graphics card then that build. I also think my PC is about 4 years old and still doesn't have much problem playing new games on high or max settings.

Do some research into monitors though, they have a lot more options than they used to and some are more optimized for gaming, or digital art, or other things. You might also have trouble getting 2 under $300 if your going for some higher end ones.

Might try checking New Egg on Cyber Monday for some deals.

Colonel Thunder

Here's the final build:

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC GAMING ACX 3.0, 6GB GDDR5, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC), 06G-P4-6267-KR
CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx 400
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)
Solid State Drive: Crucial MX300 525GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT525MX300SSD1
HDD: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case: Corsair - 270R ATX Mid Tower Case
Operating System: Windows 10

Still need to figure out what monitors and keyboard to get, and any accessories needed to put it all together.

AndyM03

That's a boss fuckin build mate. Love it. A man with a good CPU is a man of culture.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
HDD: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Everything else looks pretty spicy to me, but this seems like it's excessive unless you intend to use an absolute fuckload of HD space. Given your video editing and all, however, I suppose I can forgive that.

Colonel Thunder

Everything else looks pretty spicy to me, but this seems like it's excessive unless you intend to use an absolute fuckload of HD space. Given your video editing and all, however, I suppose I can forgive that.
I agree that it's a bit much. But it was like, just $30 more during the sale.

AndyM03

Never know when you'll wanna dual boot cuz. I ain't about the virtual machine life.

Colonel Thunder

Here's the final build and cost!

@RECONmaster you might appreciate this.

20171216_153905.jpg

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC GAMING ACX 3.0, 6GB GDDR5, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC), 06G-P4-6267-KR $ 280
CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $ 290
CPU Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx 400 $ 24
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel $ 135
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15) $ 195
Solid State Drive: Crucial MX300 525GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT525MX300SSD1 $ 130
HDD: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $ 60
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $ 70
Case: Corsair - 270R ATX Mid Tower Case $ 55
Operating System: Windows 10 $ 30
Monitor x2: BenQ GL2760H 27-inch Full HD 1920 x 1080 2ms Response Time HDMI LED Monitor $ 250
Keyboard: CORSAIR K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Backlit Red LED - USB Passthrough & Media Controls - Fastest & Linear - Cherry MX Speed $ 103
Speakers: Z200 with Stereo Sound for Multiple Devices - Black $ 23
Glue $ 6

Total: $ 1,651

Colonel Thunder

You're supposed to put thermal glue on the processor...right?

Either way I don't think it w̳̦͢ì͍̳͇̙l̘̝̲͓̥͕l̠͉͇̘͕ ha̱̗͕̯̩r̻͇̘m͖͡ ̳̭̝̫̗̭ͅa̷n̟͈y̻͓̥t͏̳͕̺̰̻͖̤h̲̮i̪

Top Bottom