Continuous The Forum Court (Tirin v. Thunder: Concluded)

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Defendant @Colonel Thunder and Prosecutor Jeroth have come to agreement on the case of Malicious Bamboozlement.

- The case will be resolved in a Trial by Combat.
- Both parties have agreed upon a gentleman's duel within Nidhogg, which will promptly be streamed for viewers to spectate the result of true justice.
- The duel will consist of the best out of five matches.

The event will take place on a Tuesday at 7:30 PM Pacific.

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Owww...

@Jeroth I'm sorry for the bamboozle. You were right all along. I don't know why I kept fighting it. I guess...I guess I just wanted to win for once. Me. TC. I guess that was too much to ask.

I've given all but 5 of your danger back, limiting the !bamboozle insurance penalty from 25 Danger to 5. I have applied the same fix to everyone who used that same command.

I accept whatever sentence the court gives.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
I've given all but 5 of your danger back, limiting the !bamboozle insurance penalty from 25 Danger to 5. I have applied the same fix to everyone who used that same command.
What manner of abomination is this? He acknowledges that he was wrong, and has the audacity to apologize... while not even paying reparations!?

Ibix

Even if statute of limitations wasn't a factor, you're referring to something that took place in another jurisdiction. UR is not Mach Entertainment, and vice versa.
Jurisdictions? Is there a higher court?

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
COURT IS HEREBY INFORMED that as of 00:45 EST on Wednesday, the fourteenth of March, in this the 2018'th year of the Lord, forumer @Colonel Thunder was found GUILTY, in Trial By Combat, of the Malicious Bamboozling of Moderator @Jeroth. The Convicted will now be sentenced.

Under normal circumstances, the life of the Convicted could be rightfully claimed by the Prosecution, it having been knowingly and willingly wagered by, and fairly won from, the Accused. As such, the issue of sentencing would properly fall to the Prosecution, rather than to the presiding Justice as would be the case in a Trial By Jury. This principle will NOT apply here for the following reasons:

i) Because, due to the unprecedented logistical challenges inherent to organizing the first case of Trial By Combat in recorded Forum history, the Accused was not properly informed of such a condition when, or even at any time before, the challenge was issued and accepted.

ii) Because of the unusual mitigating circumstances that came into play during the execution of the duel, including multiple previously-unscheduled delays in favor of the Prosecution, as well as dishonorable (if not illicit) conduct on the Prosecution's part such as:

- Excessive and extreme vigor in attempting to stage the trial so as to deprive the Accused of any hope of victory, going to extraordinary lengths in this regard, and

- This failing, the deceptive and uncouth nature of the means through which the Prosecution extended the initial trial, in that: Finding himself cornered and all but certain to lose the duel, Champion @Tirin then proceeded to throw down arms and exit the arena while verbally berating the Accused's Champion and the presiding Justice, knowingly and intentionally leading all present to assume he had forfeited the contest, only to return to the arena and resume his participation once the defending Champion had left, but before the match had been officially concluded by the rules established beforehand. While there were no grounds at the time under which this behavior could be held as illegal, it was certainly by no means honorable, and the Court here makes note of its disinclination to leave justice in the hands of those who would pursue it with dishonor.

Thus, for the reasons given above, and especially due to the extraordinary zeal shown by the plaintiff in pursuing his grievance and the particularly highly-publicized nature of these proceedings, it is my view that to defer the Convict's sentencing to Prosecution would be to unfairly subject him to greater risk than we can reasonably claim he consented to, in first demanding to exercise his right to Trial By Combat. I will instead treat the outcome as if it were decided by Jury, except where noted. The sentence is as follows:

First, if he has not already done so then the Convicted, @Colonel Thunder, is hereby ordered to return any Danger he has acquired from any Mach Entertainment denizen (or non-denizen resident) through fraudulent means, including (but not limited to) any Danger fees charged to transactions in excess of the respectively advertised amounts.

The Convicted is further ordered to cede an extra 50 Danger to Moderator @Jeroth, as compensation for any psychological trauma, loss of time, and other assorted damages incurred in pursuing this grievance. This amount is both separate from and additional to the refunding of Danger specified above. It has been enumerated based on a comparative estimate between the amount of time required to accumulate Danger points, and the amount of time expended by Prosecution over the course of these proceedings, from opening arguments to sentencing. It also reflects the practical, albeit intangible, inadvertent benefit of increased public exposure that the DangerVideoGames channel drew from the proceedings.

For the amount of administrative time and resources expended in holding the Trial By Combat, The Convicted is further ordered to submit a donation of no less than $1.25 USD via the 'Donate' button. This cost is determined irrespective of the gravity of the Convicted's crimes or his attitude regarding, but rather, based on the length of the contest. In future, if and when any further Trials By Combat are held, the contest will be held for two hours free of charge as a public service, and $0.25 for the losing side for every two hours beyond that. (In the event of a draw, the Defense wins, and Prosecution pays the fine.)

Finally the Convicted is warned that his establishment's offer of "Bamboozle Insurance" marks no restrictions or limitations as to the extent of its coverage. This would imply that unless a customer is fully refunded, the vendor will be liable for fully compensating him or her for any further losses incurred by future bamboozlement, whether or not vendor DangerVideoGames is the bamboozling party in each event.

This CONCLUDES the case of Jeroth v. Thunder. Court will now adjourn, pending any future cases to be held.

Accusations may be submitted privately, through correspondence with the Justice, or publicly, in this thread.

(Given that the Court is a public institution, and does not operate in a secretive or exclusive manner, accusations may NOT be submitted anonymously.)

COURT IS ADJOURNED.

Last edited:

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Jurisdictions? Is there a higher court?
Not for Mach Entertainment, no. (Or in general, really.) The Mach Entertainment Forum Court, however, only claims jurisdiction over cases of grievances between Mach Entertainment (ME) Forumers, or of ME Forumer's grievances against resident non-Forumers. While Ro is a current and established ME Forumer, he was not so at the time of this alleged incident, and so this matter falls outside of our purview.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Dishonorable. Bah. Thunderclaw and his "champion" were dishonorable from the start, to say nothing of my many other grievances.

I accuse @Rondait of reckless disregard for the truth, as well as libel, for the article printed in the Mach Times found here. There are numerous flaws which underscore its legitimacy as a piece of news which I will bring to light in this trial - though, more than anything, I would strongly appreciate his making me aware of this anonymous source, who I would accuse of the same owing to their irresponsible submission. In fact, I would strongly consider dropping this case were he to do so.

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Under normal circumstances, the life of the Convicted could be rightfully claimed by the Prosecution, it having been knowingly and willingly wagered by, and fairly won from, the Accused. As such, the issue of sentencing would properly fall to the Prosecution, rather than to the presiding Justice as would be the case in a Trial By Jury.
All forumers please take note of the above. Trial by Combat should not be taken lightly.

As per the court's order, I have returned the appropriate Danger to all those who were bamboozled. I *sigh* have also given Jeroth an extra 50 Danger per the court's order.

I shall make the $1.25 donation shortly.

Bamboozle insurance has ceased being offered on my Twitch channel.

I thank the court for it's time and attention to detail. May this be the last time we see each other on such terms.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Dishonorable. Bah. Thunderclaw and his "champion" were dishonorable from the start, to say nothing of my many other grievances.
Acknowledged for the record, but noting that there was never any question of allowing him to pass sentence.
I accuse @Rondait of reckless disregard for the truth, as well as libel, for the article printed in the Mach Times found here. There are numerous flaws which underscore its legitimacy as a piece of news which I will bring to light in this trial - though, more than anything, I would strongly appreciate his making me aware of this anonymous source, who I would accuse of the same owing to their irresponsible submission. In fact, I would strongly consider dropping this case were he to do so.
Alright, we're doing this one next.

Rondait

I'm willing to accept the accept the case. I will, however, preface it noting that the Mach Times specifically only reported the facts on situation, which is that we received the information. However, we will not release the name of the source unless it is court ordered, which would be a violation of the freedom of the press. Again, we will not release the source due to their wish to stay anonymous. If we reveal one source, we lose sources in the future.

Last edited:

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Hear ye, hear ye! Court is now in session.

The Right Honorable Justice Easy Rider will now preside over the case of @Tirin v. Mach Times, as represented by @Rondait, concerning charges of Malicious Bamboozling Reckless Disregard For The Truth brought forth by Mod-Mayor @Tirin. The Court now calls on both parties to name Prosecution and Defense for their case or, otherwise, waive the right to a representative, and pursue the case themselves.

Last edited:

Rondait

Given the nature of the case, I would prefer to represent Mach Times myself. I will not stand for a representative to misconstrue the nature of the reporting whether it be by intention or by accident.

Top Bottom