The New Year

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
I suppose it's a bit late, but I figured why not make a thread?

Post what kinda shit you're expecting to happen in the coming year, celebrate 2016 (as if anyone's happy about it), and tell errybody your New Year's resolution - if you've got one.

Me, I expect to finish my undergrad degree and start at a grad school in Ontario or Quebec this year. I've got two resolutions - one short-term, and one longer. The first's to not drink any more until February, when I've got a mid-semester break which a lot of friends of mine will be home for; the second's to go ham on my courses, so I can get a good position for my Master's and possibly PhD. Wish me luck.

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Out of curiosity, why do you want to drink less?

As for myself, the latter half of 2016 was actually pretty great. Not for the world, really, but it was for me. I have a job I like in a place I like, new relationship I really like, hobbies I'm enjoying, and I get to hang out with my friends pretty much as often as I want. Forgive the sappiness, but I've never been so happy and at peace before. 2017 is looking good for me as an individual.

In terms of resolutions I'd like to do more streaming, way more game development, and continue to grow in the relationships I'm building. But that's about it. I'm really content where I am.

Rondait

At the end of next month I'll be going into the Navy, then right after boot camp I'll be learning about photography and journalism, so that's my year. I'd say my resolution is to be social during my time in and make friends. It turns out staying at home all the time makes it hard to meet people.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
As for myself, the latter half of 2016 was actually pretty great. Not for the world, really, but it was for me. I have a job I like in a place I like, new relationship I really like, hobbies I'm enjoying, and I get to hang out with my friends pretty much as often as I want. Forgive the sappiness, but I've never been so happy and at peace before. 2017 is looking good for me as an individual.
Good to hear! Good luck with your resolutions, too. I have to say, my own 2016 was pretty damn good, and I'm looking forward to this year.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to drink less?
Oh, God. The stress on my internal organs, how much easier it'll be to drop a few pounds without it, how much money it costs me, how it inevitably shits up studying... a lot of reasons, really.

To put it into perspective, I drank about $100 of liquor in the five days before Christmas, not including what other people bought or offered me.

At the end of next month I'll be going into the Navy, then right after boot camp I'll be learning about photography and journalism, so that's my year. I'd say my resolution is to be social during my time in and make friends. It turns out staying at home all the time makes it hard to meet people.
Sounds like a pretty good plan. I'm gonna have to talk to new people, of all things, once I go to grad school, which is a pretty awful prospect.

I feel like this community has a high rate of military service in it
Extremely. It's pretty strange.

The Hound

Just Monika
My 2016 was pretty fantastic so I'm really hoping to roll that into 2017. I guess I really only have the typical resolution of going to the gym more, which should be easy enough. I'm just hoping for more of the same and probably the only big thing I'm doing is going on vacation to California in February. It'll only be like 60 degrees in Northern California but that'll feel like summer compared to Chicago which currently has a temp of 6 (apparently it feels like -11).

13thforsworn

My 2016 wasn't that great when I think about it. My father and aunt (his sister) were diagnosed with cancer, so I guess that's pretty shitty. My best friend is in a serious relationship and starting his own business, and so I see significantly less of him now, though we still talk often in Team Speak. First time I saw him since the end of July was New Years Eve, which he hosted. I can't really blame him or hold anything against him, it is what it is. He found someone and is doing something he enjoys, and so I can only be happy for him. To be anything but happy for him would be, not to sound dramatic, but betrayal. Just a shame he doesn't come out much anymore.

I don't FEEL emotional unhappy about 2016, but the knowledge of the things that have transpired in my life in the past year can only lead me to the conclusion that it wasn't a very great year.

As for 2017, I actually have resolution. In past years, I had never even thought of thinking of making a resolution, but this year I have one. It's pretty lame, but it's simple and attainable; apply for a credit card, build a credit score. Silly, right? Just never liked the idea of them (owing people money), but it's something I'll have to do sooner or later in the type of world we live in, and sooner is better. And before you ask how I bought things online, simple; I didn't.

I feel like this community has a high rate of military service in it
So how long is it?
Tarn
MoK/Aethrys
Dragonruby
Zircom
Shizno (before he was honourably discharged or whatever)
Rondait

I feel like I'm missing a bunch of people.

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
The military is kind of the default way to go for directionless or poorer young men. Not saying that's good or bad or even accurate. Just seems that way from my perspective.

RECONmaster

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
I'm hoping to get a lot out of my new camera in 2017. I'm planning to make a lot of videos and build up my gear while having fun and improving. I'll actually be moving to Tampa pretty soon which puts me really close to where we host the server, so I might give the datacenter a visit. Also, as part of the move I'm quitting my job and will go back to school. 'Cuz fuck being uneducated.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
I feel like my activity here has been dipping. Maybe I should try being more active. I've been in a weird funk for the past few months, I think I'll try and get out of it this year.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
So how long is it?
Tarn
MoK/Aethrys
Dragonruby
Zircom
Rondait

I wanna say... Goliath?

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
So how long is it?
Tarn
MoK/Aethrys
Dragonruby
Zircom
Rondait

You're missing Pally, at the very least (plus Tim and Lotus have both served in the past, if I recall). Sorry about your shitty year, but take consolation in the fact that very little of it is stuff you could have stopped. Solid resolution, but I hate banks too much to consider it; good luck in it, and with 2017.

I'm hoping to get a lot out of my new camera in 2017. I'm planning to make a lot of videos and build up my gear while having fun and improving. I'll actually be moving to Tampa pretty soon which puts me really close to where we host the server, so I might give the datacenter a visit. Also, as part of the move I'm quitting my job and will go back to school. 'Cuz fuck being uneducated.
Dece and dece. Knowledge is fucking value, s'why I'm trying to learn Dutch. Any idea what program you're gonna do?

I feel like my activity here has been dipping. Maybe I should try being more active. I've been in a weird funk for the past few months, I think I'll try and get out of it this year.
Everyone's been relatively inactive throughout the holidays, but I can certainly see your concern. So, to encourage you being active - go post in Fantasy Nations or make a CYOA or do some shit you wanna do. Get those spirits up!

By the way, nice resolution, Easy.

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
2016 For me was a pretty decent year. It had it's ups and downs, but i think it overall was more positive than negative. My truck died, but I got a nice new car to replace it. Got a new job that should be pretty steady, it's not making swords, but has some possibilities for advancement into some web design and advertising type stuff. Still slowly adding to the suit of medieval armor. Doing more and more streams with TC, probably not going to get famous any time soon, but they're always fun and it's fun seeing you guys in the comments.

I've never made any new years resolutions and I don't really see much reason to start.

Top Bottom