The Spirits of Existence

Requiem

So I'm gonna try to do my simple tabletop system for a game. I don't know if I can do a Skype or Discord based, session after session style of play, so this is the next best thing.

My expectations for this aren't what they were with golden lore. That game wanted to be a massive shared story rather than an actual game. I wanna actually just play a game. There's no crazy end goal with this game, no ending I'm planning for or what have you. It's just your average RP experience, like a tabletop session. There won't be any DM PC, at least not for a long time if ever. It'll just be me as "god" and you guys playing your characters like with dnd or pathfinder.

There will be light dice rolling. Combat will involve heavier dice rolling. There isn't a fully fleshed system, but it'll probably take inspiration from other systems at times.

That said, here's what I've got.

- - -

When we die, our spirits move on to another body. They encompass the whole of existence. From the lowly worms to the towering deities, spirits live eternally, jumping from person to person, entity to entity. The journey is the destination.

At some point in time and space, a piece of existence has been carved out. Spirits are drawn to this place like insects towards light. It winks in and out of sight, drawing in only a handful of spirits from time to time. Once there, the spirits can never leave... Or so they think.

As a player, you will create a spirit of your own and attempt to find a way out of this isolated land in order to return to the natural flow of existence.

- - -

The basic game play premise is that your character is based on one of three archetypes: speed, strength, and intelligence. Speed is your ranger or duelist, strength is a fighter and barbarian, and intelligence is the sorcerer or tinkerer.

You'll choose one archetype to be your main "class" while a second will be your, well, secondary class. The third unchosen choice is your weakness.

This will let you dual class if you like, but mostly it's just so you can more easily flesh out your character while still not spending hours figuring them out. The idea of the system is to make things more streamlined.

Don't worry about the setting so much as we'll be jumping into various time periods and different worlds, things like that. You will, however, need to make three characters. Don't worry, it's not anywhere near as in depth as past games.

So, for example, here's the character sheet and one from me.

- - -

Player Name: Requiem
Spirit Name: Elduoir

Main Archetype: Speed
Secondary: Intelligence
Weakness: Strength

Characters

Past: Leona Baeweave, Cleric
Present: Chris Leadwick, Beat Cop
Future: Dax Mystwhiel, Technomancer

Personality: Elduoir prides itself on its sexual appetite, but also focuses on doing good whenever possible. Throughout multiple forms of existence, this spirit has challenged Gods, sat on thrones, held multiple loves of its lives, raised families, broken into vaults, and so on all for the sake of adventure. While it is true that spirits don't always get to choose who they go to next, the fears and desires of one such as Elduoir still led its various hosts into the line of danger more often than not, usually for the right reasons. Though Elduoir didn't always have a taste for it itself, the odd life as a murderer was sometimes considered rather freeing and liberating, at least to some extent. Trapped on a forgotten piece of existence in the far corners of the universe gives Elduoir more than fear. It leaves it worried for what might be strong enough to pull spirits out of the normal way of things. Spirits aren't used to consciousness.

- - -

Player Name:
Spirit Name:

Main Archetype:
Secondary:
Weakness:

Characters

Past:
Present:
Future:

Personality:

- - -

Just so it's clear, the basic game play loop we'll be on is pretty simple. You do stuff as a spirit, you find memories of past lives, you go to whatever scene I create, we play the scene, rinse, repeat. You may also be asked to make other characters on the spot (like the ones in the past, present, and future slots of the character sheet). I mainly say that because hey, maybe we'll feel like trying out new stuff. I don't wanna limit anyone. The three on the sheet are your main characters though and every character you make will use the personality of your spirit. You're basically playing the same character all throughout, it's just allowing the setting a chance to breathe and be whatever we want it to be.

Let me know if you have any questions!

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
I'm interested. Just to clarify this is going to be a forum rp?

Also, do we need separate descriptions for each character?

Requiem

Nope, you just fill it out exactly like I did mine.

And yeah, this is a forum RP. I'd love to do Skype or Discord, but I don't think I'll have the computer access I want to make that happen.

Requiem

The three on the sheet are your main characters though and every character you make will use the personality of your spirit. You're basically playing the same character all throughout, it's just allowing the setting a chance to breathe and be whatever we want it to be.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
It's kind of odd writing a general personality that might fit several characters rather than a specific one for a single character. By the way, do I need to give my characters titles? I have various ideas and notes for my three main ones and how their personality and character differ.

Player Name: Coolpool2
Spirit Name: Kin

Main Archetype: Speed
Secondary: Intelligence
Weakness: Strength

Characters

Past: Sasha Satori, guardian, hunter
Present: Heinrich Zhang, librarian
Future: Yu San, chef, thief

Personality: Kin, while not an optimist, often tries to have a cheerful outlook life. Even in depressing or hopeless situations Kin will find something to be happy about. Kin is usually a determined individual once it has set its mind of something, but can otherwise be easily swayed, or uncertain about matters. Most of Kin’s lives have had little ambition settling for small goals or simple lifestyles. For one reason or another Kin often dislikes conflict. Whether it be pacifism or finding it annoying. Ironically enough, conflict always seems to find its way into Kin’s life. Kin is a loyal spirit, but is too prideful at times. Kin prefers to stick to the sidelines, accomplishing goals from behind the scenes. However, sometimes Kin is too passive and doesn’t take action when it needs to be taken.

Last edited:

Requiem

Past refers to fantasy style settings

Present refers to golden lore style settings

Future refers to shadowrun style settings

If you look at the character section of my example sheet, I've added "classes" next to the different sections. It's not so much that they have titles, but it refers to what they do. It's their job, basically.

While the overall personality is more or less the same for all of your characters, they have different backstories and circumstances. They'll be different people, but the overall character beats will be the same.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Oh I see. I'll edit in character titles then. I feel like with different upbringing and circumstances they would have variances in personality. Is it okay if I play on the same character foundations but maybe in slightly different ways?

Requiem

You're overthinking. You'll be playing as one character, your spirit, and that spirit will be going into the bodies of people they've been throughout their existence.

Just think of it as reincarnation. If you've seen Avatar, Korra and Aang aren't the same people, but they're both the same spirit, just reborn. No two avatars will ever be the same person, not really. That's how it is with your characters.

You've got an overall personality, so certain things will be very similar, but yeah, things will be different because they're different people.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
So... anyone else going to make a character or should I just finish that Fantasy Nations sheet already?

Requiem

I'd like it if someone else joined in. I don't wanna make a character (the one up there was supposed to just be an example sheet), but if I have to play too, I guess I could?

Anatronman

Player name: Anatronman
Spirit name: Arc

Main archetype: Strength
Secondary: Speed
Weakness: Intelligence

Characters

Past: Samuel, raiding party deserter.
Present: Aiko, mortician and steroid enthusiast.
Future: Kittles IV, Doctor (but mostly murderer)

Personality: Arc is a twisted soul that feasts on raw power, which dooms its endless hosts with a need to become stronger and more violent until they can throw themselves against their world's most dangerous challenges. Arc takes equal pleasure inflicting and sustaining damage, and as such tends to leave bodies in its wake. Despite this, Arc is a very companionable spirit who loves familiar company, and when it meets a spirit that returns its battle roar it is more than likely to call out its appreciation. Arc relies on joining altruistic groups with similar goals in order to cover a wide enough skill set to get it in the room with whatever needs obliterating.

Last edited:

Requiem

I can dig it.

If you guys wanna start with just you two or have me play along as well, we can, but for the most part, we should be good to go.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
I mean, the question is if there's anyone else who wants to join up. Otherwise I wouldn't mind getting started.

Requiem

Site didn't send me email notifications that yall replied, but I'm ready if yall are. I'll get a post up tomorrow.

I'll probably make a character/use the one in the OP if you guys are cool with that. It's easy to take players out as well, so no worries, it's just for right now.

Top Bottom