The Throwback Party: Forum Election 2018

W1LG3RtheCyan

Guess who's back. Back again. Wilger's back, for the win.

So yeah, I figured I'd throw my name into the ring now that I've matured and have been trusted as both a moderator in a decently sized discord (pushing 500 or so members) and an admin on the same group's twitter and facebook accounts. I have swung the banhammer once, and trust me, the person really deserved it. (We can go more in-depth in DMs)

Why vote for me?
One thing that has started happening in my absence is that when stuff hits the fan, it goes for me first. As such, I can ward off all of the crap that can hit this community, and I can have backup plans upon backup plans in place in case everything goes wrong in a hurry.

Also, as the name of the party implies, we're throwing it back to a time when every aspect of this community was thriving. Now, we get a few messages per day, and sometimes some of us go a week without a single notification. We plan to bring activity back to this forum, and if it ends up falling apart I can take over, but it will probably turn into a massive discord upgrade with no site if that happens. As I have been running a private discord for my friends, as well as the moderator gig, I have learned a lot about running a server properly and attracting the right kind of people.

Isn't there a conflict of interest here?

What conflict of interest...?

Am I a TTF plant?

No, I am a human being.

Is this some kind of TTF assimilation attempt of 90% of the Mach crew?
Pffft... No.

What about TIS?
How do you guys even know about The Inner Sanctum? That is a secret kept by 19 people and not advertised to anyone.

So TIS is like the Illuminati?
If the Illuminati was a storage dump of NSFW content where people play Cards Against Humanity and inexplicably Path of Exile.

So a vote for Wilger is a vote for the Illuminati?

Roll me an Investigation check...

Requiem

Uh... I don't mean to be a dick, but... what is TTF? TIS? Are those acronyms for your other community? Also, the forum isn't the most active it's ever been, sure, but it's not like it's literally dead. Just tonight we did a few hours of Jackbox games together, on top of having done some tabletop for the last few weeks. Beyond even that, TC's stream has been absolutely hopping and the Forum Court case we've been dealing with for the last few weeks has been amazing fun for the most part.

It's nice and all that you want to base your mayorship on bringing activity to the forums, but I hope you understand that being mayor doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things and being the mod of a big discord isn't necessarily something that matters (I mean, congrats to you, that's awesome, but Tirin is an admin of a server with currently ~3,500 members online and it really doesn't mean too much at all for him/his bid as mayor either).

I don't wanna shit on your day, have fun with this, absolutely, but this community is far from dead, so don't assume too much here. Running big discord servers is cool I suppose, but you don't really need to pitch your community to us if that's what you were trying to do? Like... I dunno, I'll just say it flat, it seems kinda shitty that you'd say "oh, you guys are inactive, if the site does die, don't worry, I can take it over." Just feels odd to me and not very cool at all, actually.

This mayor thing is just about random fun and a nice burst of activity from people who have been lurking more than they've been posting. They're still around, the community still exists, it's just been quiet, not dead. If you have people who would be willing to come post on this forum and be active in the community, fantastic, but don't just assume you'd be assimilating us into whatever it is you've been doing. We're doing fairly fine on our own, thanks.

W1LG3RtheCyan

The vast majority of this was a joke. The primary point of this thread was to throw my hat in the ring so that we could do the elimination bracket. I apologize for the in-jokes, but some of them were too good to resist for me.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
the forum isn't the most active it's ever been, sure, but it's not like it's literally dead. Just tonight we did a few hours of Jackbox games together, on top of having done some tabletop for the last few weeks. Beyond even that, TC's stream has been absolutely hopping and the Forum Court case we've been dealing with for the last few weeks has been amazing fun for the most part.

This mayor thing is just about random fun and a nice burst of activity from people who have been lurking more than they've been posting. They're still around, the community still exists, it's just been quiet, not dead. If you have people who would be willing to come post on this forum and be active in the community, fantastic...
In fairness, I agree with tryna find a way to get more consistent activity, whether it's by incentivizing it or getting new people over here, combining them or some shit I didn't think of. Could be events, could be more creative shit - I dunno. We can't... not be autonomous to some degree, though. I think it's been long enough that Mach, as a community, has generated more concentrated autism than any others can handle, and we're sure as hell not gonna follow some other community's rules unless we agree with 'em.

Requiem

yeah bro, its not cool to take fake internet politics seriously
Eh, it's not the fake politics bit, it's the "the forums seem dead, I have a community that I can accept you guys into on my Discord server where I take over the community" bit. As a joke, it's just flat and rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe my sense of humor is off, but I didn't appreciate the joke.

The rest of the post was about legitimately asking what all of the acronyms were about, whether or not wilger is actively trying to introduce us to his community or vice versa, and explaining that the mayor role isn't actually important since that was important last night.

I'm not gonna say I wasn't offended, again, I probably took the joke too hard, but that's where I was speaking from and why.

W1LG3RtheCyan

The TIS acronym was explained in the post. TTF is The Trusted Few (a community that I've been part of since July. They found me through a chance encounter when I had hit rock bottom and helped me get back to some shred of normalcy. I advertise the crap out of them on stream.) That said, the TTF jokes were not about TTF absorbing Mach, although I can see why you would take it that way in hindsight. It was satire of current U.S. politics.

Requiem

Well alright then I guess. I haven't ever actually watched your stream though, so chalk that up to why I wouldn't get that, but you really did say:

We plan to bring activity back to this forum, and if it ends up falling apart I can take over
That's still pretty much what I've taken issue with. You say "we" plan to bring back activity, but the community that is here is doing fine on the activity front. On top of that, "if it ends up falling apart, I can take over" seems a silly thing to say since your plan is for you and whoever "we" is to bring activity to the forum. I'm not sure why you'd wanna suggest that you should "take over" (whatever that means) if your own plan fails.

It just seems a nonsensical thing to suggest all around, especially since you seem to be serious about that. If you genuinely wanna bring people to the forum, make a post about that subject unrelated and unconnected to the shitpost-y mayor election we're doing. You're attempting to do something positive for the forum and the community by bringing more community members to us. That idea deserves to be attached to something other than a silly meme.

I would support you doing that wholeheartedly, more people are always welcome, but just don't equate "inactivity" to "dead." They're not the same thing at all and I wouldn't really even say we're inactive. Bring your community around, let them join in on the fun, let them come do RP, mafia, play some forum games, all the good shit that we do just for fun, but definitely introduce the idea with more tact than saying "I have a plan, but it might not work and if it doesn't, I'll take over."

Requiem

So is the community merging thing going to happen or is that still in the works? It might also help to link us to your community.

W1LG3RtheCyan

I was simply saying that I know how to attract members to a community and citing the other communities as experience. That said, if you guys are interested in looking at a community merge, TC is already a member of TIS, and I can talk to Vee about arranging a meeting if you guys want to merge with TTF.

Requiem

I was more saying tell them about our site and provide links to them and give us a link to them and we'll go from there. We've already said we want new people here, that's a definite yes.

To make this clear, yes, Wilger, bring people over here. We're probably not gonna adopt many (read: any) of their sites or Discords or anything like that and I highly, highly doubt that we're gonna change much at all about this site, but if we get more people to show up, that would be good.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
1. It was the royal "we".
2. We should definitely have a round table discussion concerning the improvement of this community. I'll start on setting that up when I'm not exhausted.
Lemme go ahead and say that I don't actually remember Liking this post, but I sure as hell don't regret that I did. Clearly, I was thinking straight when that happened, even though I have no actual memory of the occasion.

Also, I spent nearly ten whole minutes on nothing else but laughing aloud - no hyperbole involved here - at this thread, upon reading it (for the first time?) tonight.

Good job, W1LG3R. Get played, Req. I don't know exactly how much (or what) it means to either or both of you, but this is exactly why you're both among my top few favorite forumers.

Damn it, I'm actually feeling hella glad I'm still around right now.

Top Bottom