TV: Game of Thrones

Requiem

I think you're supposed to not like Dany after awhile. At first she kicks ass because Khal Drogo and her relationship with him is awesome, and then her dragons as well and her clearly magical existence, like literal magic. But then after that story ends and we move on to her fucking around while all of the other stuff happens in Westeros, she's just doing nothing. Yeah, sure, we get some neat scenes with her ending slavery and what not and building a massive freed slave army which is cool, but it's still just a whole bunch of scenes of her floofing about doing nothing of importance. In the grand scheme of things it's massively important, but for literal years in the books and the show, nothing of consequence happens that really affects the other storyline. With the head of the King's guard who leaves to be at her side instead of serving Joffrey, sure, there's some bleed through, but that's the Westeros stories affecting her, not the other way around.

So, anyways, I said a lot of random shit. Point being, she can kick ass and can be interesting, but at the end of the day, she's doing nothing until George R.R. Martin pulls the trigger and just send her over to Westeros.

The Hound

Just Monika
So, anyways, I said a lot of random shit. Point being, she can kick ass and can be interesting, but at the end of the day, she's doing nothing until George R.R. Martin pulls the trigger and just send her over to Westeros.
Yep that's exactly it, it's obvious she's immensely important but until it happens her stuff seems like fluff. This season should be interesting though, so I'm anxiously waiting to see what happens next to her.

Requiem

Yeah, we're delving into stuff that hasn't happened in the books yet, so that sounds really interesting.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
That's frightening because in my opinion she's the worst character by a country mile and it's funny because other characters I didn't like are getting better except her.
I can't help, but agree.

Even everything with Sansa is far more interesting now that she's being groomed by Littlefinger to become a tricky individual.

Brienne is lacking a bit, but her constant failure and banter with Podrick makes up for it.

Everyone else? I'm totally invested in. Jon Snow + Stannis the Mannis in the Wall? Yeah.

Tyrion and Vary's Excellent Road Trip? Yeah.

Jaime and Bronn's Mission Impossible: DORN? Yeah.

How I learned to become nobody ft. Arya Stark? Yeah.

Queen Fight between Cersei + Margaery with Tommen and the Sparrows? Yeah.

Dany in: "Why the fuck can't I do anything right?" Nah. I'll pass. Not Fabio can't even save that storyline.

Whitetiger

So thoughts on Stannis? He's still one of my favorite characters because he is absolutely entitled to the throne and is reportedly the best land and sea military commander in a really long time. He's also not super good or super evil, he's just extremely lawful in his own strange sort of way. Finally I'm 100% fine with him not being nearly as merciful as Robert. Robert was far too easy on Varys, Jaime, and Tywin and he ended up dying young as a result of his alliance with the Lannisters.

Anyway, my main issue with Show Stannis is that they have a brilliant actor but the directors don't like the character and their bias shows. They cut out pretty much all of his humor (he was actually one of the funniest characters in the books), as well as a lot of his redeeming lines. Such as:

(This isn't a spoiler just a block quote)
“Surprisingly, Stannis smiled at that. “You’re bold enough to be a Stark. Yes, I should have come sooner. If not for my Hand, I might not have come at all. Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.”
Thankfully I think he will become more likeable as the show progresses, even if not nearly as great as he is in the books (at least in my opinion).

Last edited:

The Hound

Just Monika
I've really enjoyed Stannis and only part of that is because he has the same receding hair line I do.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Stannis the Mannis is the best character.

Daenerys a shit, Daenerys forever a shit. She's probably just gonna fuck up Westeros even more if she ever gets around to crossing the Narrow Sea, and then die anyways.

Tag_Ross

My problem with daenerys is how much she acts like she dreams and thinks to herself about how much she wants to go home to bring her house to their former glory, yet every time someone tries to take her home to restore her house to their former glory she pretty much says "oh look oppressed people" then proceeds to go to war, making more enemies, losing more allies, and letting westeros get fucked up even worse.

hell she turns down a dornish alliance just because they didn't send her an army to help slaver's bay.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Daenerys is also a shitty administrator and doesn't seem to have very much of an understanding of either war or diplomacy, she just throws around way more power than the people she throws it at can do anything about and can manage to convince slaves that being a slave is shitty. The only chance she'd have of conquering Westeros is trying to eliminate or cripple side when they're already weak as fuck - but even then she'll have trouble holding onto her gains because she's an awful ruler.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
hell she turns down a dornish alliance just because they didn't send her an army to help slaver's bay.
In fairness, that was because she had no other option at the time (because of how incompetent her rule had been leading up to that point).She had to choose between making a peace or fighting a war, and since the Dornish didn't have any troops to offer her in the near future and she couldn't control her dragons, (and Quentyn & Co. didn't have any way to leave Meereen afterwards with or without her), it was most likely that fighting a war would have led to her and all of hers dying in Meereen, along with the Dornish.

13thforsworn

Can we just stop for a second to take in how fucking stupid Ser Janos Slynt is? Like what did he think the best case scenario would be in insulting and refusing the orders of the Lorde Commander of the Night's Watch? Did he really think fucking Ser Alister was going to stop them? He bleeds fucking black. He might despise Jon Snow, but he took his vows and (at least I think) understands the consequences of disobeying and will honour his commands (that and he probably realized Slynt is a fucking baffoon, not a real Brother of the Night's Watch, and not worth protecting). And that shit with "I KNOW IMPORTANT PEOPLE AT THE CAPITAL"? How many of his friends said a word of protest when Tyrion sent him to the Wall in the first place? I'm gonna guess zero, because he found himself at the fucking Wall. What a fucking moron.

Last edited:

The Hound

Just Monika
Yea he definitely didn't think that plan through, that being said I think we all have a breaking point where we're tired of being pushed around. I just don't think he honestly thought Jon Snow was capable (balls wise) of executing him, and by the time he realized how wrong he was it was already too late.

Whitetiger

^
Yeah I agree. Also I believe at least in the books there is a stereotype of bastards being craven. Slynt is an arrogant asshole who believes that doing the dirty work for people will make them defend him. He had Ned imprisoned instead of Cersei and Joffrey in season 1 and believed that Cersei or LittleFinger would defend him accordingly. In Season 5 he vouches for Thorne and thinks that he will be kept safe because of it.

Top Bottom