TV: Game of Thrones

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
The daughter thing made sense. It was pretty goddamn brutal, no doubt - but this is a man who sincerely, and quite rightfully, believed that he was the world's only hope for salvation, a messiah who had to give up the thing he loved more than any other for the chance at victory. He sacrificed what was, to him, the most precious life in the world for the sake of all others, present and future. And despite that, he was wrong. Such is the danger of prophecy.
Burning your only - not closest, but rather only - living heir, when you're the one true King of seven kingdoms, does not make sense. Not if you're doing it on the advice of a woman who once claimed that she could give you that son you've always wanted (because you so badly need a legitimate heir), and ended up giving you a horrible one-night shadow monstrosity instead.

Also I think there are some parallels to a previous Lannister soldiers and Arya scene, but I found that online.
Frey soldiers, actually. She wandered upon a group of them eating around a campfire after the Red Wedding, and stabbed one dead. (Then the Hound had to step in and slaughter them all before they killed her back.) Given her newfound skillset and general murderhoboism since way back in early seasons, I'd say it was not at all unreasonable to expect this camp of enemy soldiers to end up just like the last one - only, while showing off how she didn't need the Hound this time. And so, I'm genuinely surprised that so many people took issue with the close-ups of the soldier's faces. It really emphasized the stakes of their conduct in that moment and in that girl's company, as I saw it.

Tag_Ross

Honestly, besides the Arya and The Hound scenes nothing interesting happened.

I liked the episode, but not nearly as much as everyone else seemed to.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Burning your only - not closest, but rather only - living heir, when you're the one true King of seven kingdoms, does not make sense. Not if you're doing it on the advice of a woman who once claimed that she could give you that son you've always wanted (because you so badly need a legitimate heir), and ended up giving you a horrible one-night shadow monstrosity instead.
Yeah, man, giving yourself the power to hold back an eternal night carried upon the back of zombies and frost demons totally isn't worth your dynasty. If anything, that further reinforces how well he'd play into Azor Ahai. I swear to fucking God if it ends up as Jon or Daenerys instead of Jaime or Jorah, I'm gonna put my fist through my television. 'sides, that lady helped him the fuck out with the vast majority of his bid for Westeros by killing his opponents, giving dat troop morale, and producing general fucking miracles*.

*for a given value of "miracle", but she succeeded in a rez later so I think it's a fair statement.

AndyM03

Yeah, man, giving yourself the power to hold back an eternal night carried upon the back of zombies and frost demons totally isn't worth your dynasty.
While it's true Mel has powers, it's also true she's not as powerful as she says she is. Stannis is constantly weighing the pro's and con's of rolling the dice on her abilities, and a big con is that it often might not even work.
Killing his daughter has to be weighed against the possibility that Mel's promises won't materialize as expected. When you consider the morale impact, the dynasty impact, the inevitable loss of Davos, etc, I think it was a bad move. While I might look like captain hindsight here, I think there's enough con's that book Stannis, our lord and saviour, would choose not to roll those dice.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
The Red Woman was terrible for morale from the very start, though granted, he still wouldn't have had any real chance without her. But for all her knowledge and standing, she's just the mistress of wind and shadows. Thoros of Myr - a drunkard, a fool, and a charlatan - has more true fire.

While she'd been saying all along that a sacrifice with King's blood would give Stannis all the power he needs to secure victory, and while it's not unreasonable for him to have believed it after that thing with the leeches happened, Mance Rayder was at least as much a King for those purposes as Stannis himself - let alone Stannis's daughter. If burning Mance at the Wall didn't even give them enough Red God Buffs to get their army to Winterfell, then why the heck would burning Shireen have been of any kind of real value? Hell, the one time Melisandre performed any kind of miracle that was of strictly inarguable and unequivocal benefit for him and his cause - (ensuring favorable winds on the voyage to the Wall) - no royal bodily fluids were involved at all, and in fact, nobody was even sacrificed that Stannis himself didn't actively despise.

The Azor Ahai parallel is kind of a good point, but there are major discrepancies in there. The original version sacrificed his wife for supernatural weaponry, rather than any of his blood relatives for a solid, but mundane, castle. In this sense, Danaerys is easily the closest fit; she killed her husband, and got dragons out of it (pulling them from the flames). Note that Stannis's "Lightbringer" was also a mere glamour; sword pulled from the flames, yes; after making some human sacrifices, yes; but with no immediate family sacrificed at all, and resulting in a weapon that radiated light without heat, a false flame. Jon Snow comes second, with much weaker links of: getting Longclaw out of his ordeal of setting fire to the Lord Commander's quarters, and sacrificing his fuckbuddy to defend the Wall.

Basically, Stannis should've burned his nasty, stupid, non-heir-producing ball-and-chain of a wife instead of his daughter, if he wanted to fill in for Azor Ahai. He also should've been fighting a different enemy through the process.

Also, Hindsight 20/20 --> in the end, turning to the Storm God for instruction was the death of the Storm Lords after all.

I'm really not sure how Jaime or Jorah would or could fit in as Prince material at all, though I also don't know what the point of Jorah still being in the show is otherwise. I'm looking for a Jaime -> Valonqar twist, myself; that'd be dope. That could even tie into a wife-killer theme for him, but he'd still be missing the "born again amidst salt and smoke," "wake dragons out of stone," and "burning sword" aspects of the Promise.

Killing his daughter has to be weighed against the possibility that Mel's promises won't materialize as expected. When you consider the morale impact, the dynasty impact, the inevitable loss of Davos, etc, I think it was a bad move. While I might look like captain hindsight here, I think there's enough con's that book Stannis, our lord and saviour, would choose not to roll those dice.
Pretty definitely wouldn't, since instead of bringing Shireen along, he left her at the wall and gave a bunch of money to some trusted knights with orders to use it to hire mercs. He explicitly laid out the contingency plan for a possible defeat in the battle for Winterfell, (burning Mance was very much not equivalent to burning royalty in the book), which was all centered around pressing Shireen's claim to the throne should he fall.

Last edited:

Steal Thy Kill

Book Stannis will still burn Shireen. I'm pretty sure in one of the behind the scene extras the showrunners said that it was taken from George's notes for the future, though obviously it won't happen in this exact scenario because Shireen (and Melisandre, for that matter) are not at the crofter's village for Stannis to burn on his march towards Winterfell. Not to mention that Stannis has decided to stop at that village anyhow and let the Boltons come to him. Instead, my bet is she's gonna get sacrificed to wake one of them stone dragons they won't shut up about. And it will still fail and/or backfire, because burning your child alive should not be justified.

Fact is that the sacrifice of Shireen, as much as I hated the idea before it showed up in Season 5, is a perfect capstone to the story of Stannis and his entourage. Everything comes to a head in that decision. Davos vs Melisandre. King's Blood. Fanaticism and R'hllor. Stannis' consistently terrible family dynamics. What is one child against a kingdom. And, of course, the true meaning of sacrifice. It's exactly where his arc was always meant to go, and it is where it is going to end. Stannis will break before he bends from his goal, and burning Shireen is the step too far that broke him. It's fucking perfect, even if it sucks.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Book Stannis does not appear to be in any position to burn Shireen in the foreseeable future. Unless Ramsay's letter was bullshit and the battle for Winterfell goes very differently for him than it does in the show, despite the preliminaries, Stannis will never even get that chance again.

Though maybe burning the Greyjoy siblings will turn things around for him, in place of the Baelish saving the Stark forces that we got in the show. In that case, maybe he sticks around long enough, and is also convinced enough of the utility of the King's blood thing, to entirely reverse his prior plans and reasoning on the matter of his daughter. Though that would mean that, author's notes for the future notwithstanding, the show deviates from the books regarding the Greyjoy arc almost as much as it does the Martells. Or, failing that, regarding Stannis.

And anyway, the "perfect" narrative ending would be for Stannis to sacrifice his wife for power, become the Prince That Was Promised, stand against the darkness with fire and sword, and bring back the light of summer like the real Azor Ahai. Failing that, he could also appear to have the Lord of Light's backing for a while, but stop short of sacrificing a loved one for his purpose and so never truly sacrifice; just as his sword appears to be endowed with Rhllor's divine fire, but shines without warmth and so does not truly burn.

Tag_Ross

Shireen probably will be burned, seeing as she's at the same location as Mel, but I highly doubt she'll ask Stannis' permission to do so, only his crazy wife who has been wanting to sacrifice Shireen since before they left Dragonstone.

13thforsworn

Damn, that dialogue between Olena and Jaime at the end of episode 3 was brutal. Here Jaime was being "merciful" for a woman he felt he respected. She kind of got the last laugh, in a way.

Also, Euron Greyjoy is a savage, in the tradition and modern sense.

AndyM03

Also, Euron Greyjoy is a savage, in the tradition and modern sense.
hey y'all how do you do spoiler tags should I even bother, anyway shouldn't be in this thread if you ain't UP TO DATE

his fucking speed boats are annoying af though. Feels like weak writing to make Dany weaker for the sake of suspense. Just like how they wiped out Stannis like he was nothing to make Ramsey more menacing and make shit between Jon and him. Guess Stannis stopped being one of the best general's in Westeros at really convenient timing?

Really annoyed at how Cersei hasn't been punished for her season 6 play. The entire country should consider her a blasphemer. Every noble should consider her a traitor. Everyone with a brain should be disgusted with how she allowed the faith militant to seize control over the seven kingdoms. Euron's navy shouldn't be that large, nor should his forces be in good shape after a failed northern occupation etc.

And can the fucking Unsullied use a phalanx for once in their fucking lives jesus christ man they're fighting in corridors and shit. Same thing happened during Barristan Selmy's final moments, the unsullied he were with were in a corridor and got jumped by cunts with daggers so they try to 1v1 them individually???

The show can be so lazy sometimes and it's wearing me down. I can cop some fastforwarding and simpler plot lines (I can of get how the Tyrell's fell so easily without an heir and some existing tension with their largest bannermen) but bloody hell idk. I'm sick of every battle being a "Decisive victory" in a sense. Fine, if you're gonna do shit writing, go for it, but stop letting characters turn on God mode all the time?

Also, if they're cutting Victarion from the show, then they gotta merge him a bit into Euron, would make him way cooler. Wearing full plate on a boat and making note of it would have been nice and perfect for some visual juxtaposition, while also making him menacing instead of some weird cunt in drag.

Also, not liking the overall theme of this season. I want to see the aftermath of one of the largest wars the seven Kingdoms has had in recent memory. We've seen this to an extent with the Northern scenes, and I liked it, Jon had to fight for every man when he headed towards The Battle of The Bastards, and I want more of it. If Cersei wants to fight a war on 69 fronts, fine, but she's gotta be struggling. Jaime should have to deal with tired and hungry soldiers. He should have to struggle recruiting more. Same with any force from the Reach that is being added to the Lannister Army. I thought this was being foreshadowed in the Ed Sheeran scene, Arya felt bad taking their food. NOPE, Lannister Army is Rome incarnate, legends, demi gods, self sustaining self ejaculating machines who don't give a fuck.

I still enjoy the show but they've become reliant on their beautiful episode 9&10 set pieces, they've lost the plot when it comes to writing something engaging.

Requiem

Well actually, while I agree with you, the reason this show is lacking nuance is because they dropped the last three episodes they would normally do and now there's only 7 episodes in this season. Seems strange though when they could have just kept the same number of episodes in order to add that nuance you're missing.

They're rushing the show on purpose to get to the end. They don't wanna do it anymore and it's clear to the audience. Instead of that being endearing or interesting, it's annoying and it's hurting the show overall.

I'm still happy with the show myself, but even though it's not on the level of the books, it still always had a good level of nuance and details throughout it in order to give everything meaning. Now it's just plot point after plot point shoved into every episode. Jon is trapped in dragonstone after one episode when he barely just announced he'd be going there. In previous seasons, he wouldn't even get to dragonstone until episode 5 in a normal season. Jorah is just cured of his greyscale because... Why not? What? There's no fallout from that action on Sam's part? Jorah is just okay and that's that?

And so on and so forth. It's not that the show is bad now, they're just rushing through things, so the pay off doesn't feel nearly as satisfying as it should. We went from a slug's pace to literally flying the millennium falcon into GRRM's house.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
his fucking speed boats are annoying af though. Feels like weak writing to make Dany weaker for the sake of suspense.
Nahh... it's just that the Ironborn are expert swift-strike raiders and top-tier naval combatants with lots and lots of oars per load, speedy longboats, and skilled helmsmen, while Dany's little sailboats are a bunch of cargo ships manned by 110% desert-specc'd slaves, merchants, and eunuchs striking out into completely unfamiliar territory, and with no expectation of naval ambush. Mind you, they never figured the boats would be important at all in the first place except as a means of delivering troops to the Rock, so leaving none of their soldiers behind to defend their ships was (apparently) a reasonable calculated risk to take, at the time.
Really annoyed at how Cersei hasn't been punished for her season 6 play. The entire country should consider her a blasphemer. Every noble should consider her a traitor. Everyone with a brain should be disgusted with how she allowed the faith militant to seize control over the seven kingdoms.
Hold up - they actually are. At the end of Season 6, all she has left on her side is: House Lannister and their bannermen, because those people don't really have much of a choice in the matter; House Frey and their bannermen, because nobody else would so much as touch the Freys with a ten-foot pole at this point unless that pole had a spearhead at the end of it; the Goldcloaks, who number less than two thousand and are a far cry from veteran soldiers; and the Ironborn (sort of).
Euron's navy shouldn't be that large, nor should his forces be in good shape after a failed northern occupation etc.
Maybe he captured a bunch of ships from the battle with the Greyjoy kids? "A thousand ships" is still a ridiculous number to have built up in that kind of timespan, but then, he doesn't necessarily have anywhere near that number, and certainly wouldn't need it. In Paradox terms, he attacked a stack of cogs with a fleet of galleys in an inland sea (but if EUIV also accounted for the cogs being devoid of fighters, and the galleys being packed with career pirate crews).
And can the fucking Unsullied use a phalanx for once in their fucking lives jesus christ man they're fighting in corridors and shit. Same thing happened during Barristan Selmy's final moments, the unsullied he were with were in a corridor and got jumped by cunts with daggers so they try to 1v1 them individually???
Yeah, I'm with you on this. The books were pretty clear on how the power of the Unsullied had nothing at all to do with their (actually pretty unremarkable) individual combat prowess, and everything to do with their iron discipline and unyielding, airtight infantry formations. It's even more ironic because curbing that individualistic, glory-seeking urge to run out and go absolutely apeshit on the enemy by oneself, hack-'n'-slash, come-on-bring-it-I'LL-TAKE-YOU-ALL-ON, is exactly why the cut their balls off in the first place. So they'd chill out and stay in formation, instead.

Not to mention that the Battle of the Bastards episode showed pretty well that the writers do know how much of a fuckhuge big deal a well-formed shieldwall can be, and the Battle at the Wall was a case-in-point on how badly a solid cavalry charge can fuck up a much larger force of undisciplined, loosely-formed, or otherwise flanked or exposed infantry units. The Unsullied are a fighting force the slavers of the Free Cities created specifically to counter the Dothraki raiders, and the way the show has portrayed their fighting style suggests that they'd get absolutely shat on in that kind of match-up and they obviously know that but they're plowing ahead with it anyway because they insist that all of Danaerys's stuff has to look as cool as is physically fucking possible for it to look at any time that it's in action.

This bugs me in pretty much the same way that Ser Arthur Dayne's twin longswords bugged me. They actually did manage to make it look pretty cool, (unlike that fuckin' fiasco what went down in Dorne), but just... so... unnecessarily dumb... Just have him two-hand a sword, damn it. It can still look pretty fuckin' cool.
The show can be so lazy sometimes and it's wearing me down. I can cop some fastforwarding and simpler plot lines (I can of get how the Tyrell's fell so easily without an heir and some existing tension with their largest bannermen) but bloody hell idk. I'm sick of every battle being a "Decisive victory" in a sense. Fine, if you're gonna do shit writing, go for it, but stop letting characters turn on God mode all the time?
To be fair, Whispering Wood and Casterly Rock were far from decisive. The latter definitely gave the Lannisters a huge leg up - but then, nothing less is to be expected when the build-up included Randyll Tarly taking command of the Lannister's forces. That man doesn't fuck around at all.

Nonetheless, Danaerys still has all the Dothraki that King Robert was so worried about back in Season 1, when Westeros was more-or-less a unified force at full manpower and with a lot more resources to spare. She probably still has the Dornish (although I wouldn't be surprised if the writers decide that Ellaria Sand counts as enough of a "hostage" that the Dornish actually stand down to keep them from killing her, because the Dornish arc in the show makes absolutely no sense at all). She has a basically unassailable fortress as her center of command. She has three big ass dragons, and said dragons are only getting bigger. The Lannisters have solved their money problems for now, and have taken some big chunks out of Danaerys's forces, but they need to maintain forces at Casterly Rock to keep the Unsullied out of the picture until they either surrender or starve (and Unsullied don't surrender), they're still not yet any closer to re-evicting the Targaryens from Dragonstone, and time is absolutely on Danaerys's side (insofar as it can be on the side of any living creature in Westeros right now, anyway).
Also, if they're cutting Victarion from the show, then they gotta merge him a bit into Euron, would make him way cooler. Wearing full plate on a boat and making note of it would have been nice and perfect for some visual juxtaposition, while also making him menacing instead of some weird cunt in drag.
Show Euron's a major disappointment, even if he does kick some serious ass in combat. (Sand Snakes blown away in the storm.)
Also, not liking the overall theme of this season. I want to see the aftermath of one of the largest wars the seven Kingdoms has had in recent memory. We've seen this to an extent with the Northern scenes, and I liked it, Jon had to fight for every man when he headed towards The Battle of The Bastards, and I want more of it. If Cersei wants to fight a war on 69 fronts, fine, but she's gotta be struggling. Jaime should have to deal with tired and hungry soldiers. He should have to struggle recruiting more. Same with any force from the Reach that is being added to the Lannister Army. I thought this was being foreshadowed in the Ed Sheeran scene, Arya felt bad taking their food. NOPE, Lannister Army is Rome incarnate, legends, demi gods, self sustaining self ejaculating machines who don't give a fuck.
They had a bunch of food and manpower from the Freys, who not only kept themselves clear of the worst of the fighting throughout, but also now control the Riverlands and its abundance of food and money.
I'm still happy with the show myself, but even though it's not on the level of the books, it still always had a good level of nuance and details throughout it in order to give everything meaning. Now it's just plot point after plot point shoved into every episode. Jon is trapped in dragonstone after one episode when he barely just announced he'd be going there. In previous seasons, he wouldn't even get to dragonstone until episode 5 in a normal season. Jorah is just cured of his greyscale because... Why not? What? There's no fallout from that action on Sam's part? Jorah is just okay and that's that?
I'm wondering about that too, actually. Did Jorah literally go back to a full, healthy if mildly rash-covered coat of skin overnight?

Requiem

If they had showed Sam using some sort of special ointment, I would have understood the rapid recovery. If they made a big deal of things to say that he stole rare ingredients to save a nobleman and that's what healed him, on top of the treatment from Sam, then I'd be on board. They never did that though, so it seems unearned for Jorah to just be okay now.

AndyM03

If they had showed Sam using some sort of special ointment, I would have understood the rapid recovery. If they made a big deal of things to say that he stole rare ingredients to save a nobleman and that's what healed him, on top of the treatment from Sam, then I'd be on board. They never did that though, so it seems unearned for Jorah to just be okay now.
He used mushed dragonglass paste to my knowledge.

AndyM03

Nahh... it's just that the Ironborn are expert swift-strike raiders and top-tier naval combatants with lots and lots of oars per load, speedy longboats, and skilled helmsmen, while Dany's little sailboats are a bunch of cargo ships manned by 110% desert-specc'd slaves, merchants, and eunuchs striking out into completely unfamiliar territory, and with no expectation of naval ambush. Mind you, they never figured the boats would be important at all in the first place except as a means of delivering troops to the Rock, so leaving none of their soldiers behind to defend their ships was (apparently) a reasonable calculated risk to take, at the time.
You make some assumptions later on in this post so i'm going to counter it with an assumption.
Yara's greyjoy force wouldn't let those dickheads sail alone, I definitely imagine some key navigators were loaned to the Unsullied so that they would successfully make it to The Rock quickly and safely. The Unsullied are discipline personified, so I'm sure they've spent their waiting around periods on Dragonstone prepping to sail, along with the experience sailing the Narrow sea. No, it's not as good as life long raiding and sailing, but Euron had to engage in a full battle, sail back to Kings Landing, prance around and probably make other arrangements for the second voyage.

The concept isn't actually fucked, it's the timing.
Let Cersei realise her mistake leaving a decent garrison and argue with Jaime. The fight for Casterly Rock is real, but pretty Decisive Unsullied victory. Grey Worm suspects nothing because the fight was legit, starts making moves to secure the surrounding region. Then, day later, the navy gets smashed by Euron.
This solves two of my problems. We get to see a war, both sides win some and lose some. It fixes the time issue because it at least allows for SOME suspension of disbelief.

We also get to see Jaime make a calculated decision to sacrifice the Rock rather then being told "hey man I made that decision btw". It's the very basics of show not tell. We could have gotten more of Jaime's redemption arc because he would be condemning those soldiers to die. Nope, all off screen, and done in the worse manner possible.

Hold up - they actually are. At the end of Season 6, all she has left on her side is: House Lannister and their bannermen, because those people don't really have much of a choice in the matter; House Frey and their bannermen, because nobody else would so much as touch the Freys with a ten-foot pole at this point unless that pole had a spearhead at the end of it; the Goldcloaks, who number less than two thousand and are a far cry from veteran soldiers; and the Ironborn (sort of).
Yeah but we don't say any struggle from these limitations. The way they're writing the show is that if they need to soldiers, they have the soldiers. The Lannisters had to take over controlling the River lands because the Frey's were fuckin useless, we see that in Arya's scene. So they're stretched thin as fuck yet are fine to be a massive part of the force marching on the Reach?
Maybe he captured a bunch of ships from the battle with the Greyjoy kids? "A thousand ships" is still a ridiculous number to have built up in that kind of timespan, but then, he doesn't necessarily have anywhere near that number, and certainly wouldn't need it. In Paradox terms, he attacked a stack of cogs with a fleet of galleys in an inland sea (but if EUIV also accounted for the cogs being devoid of fighters, and the galleys being packed with career pirate crews).
I did assume this as well, but I also didn't like how many ships Yara and Theon had either so it doesn't make me any happier. It's a key part in the lore that while the Greyjoy's had the biggest navy, it was always a raiding navy. Since Euron is the one bringing the Carracks (which is rare for a greyjoy ship) It makes sense that Eurons fleet > Yara's, Euron had to sail far rougher seas and is deserving of a fuckin sick flagship.
Not sure what i'm aruging here actually, I think we're in agreeance. Too many boats, nice spectacle tho.
To be fair, Whispering Wood and Casterly Rock were far from decisive. The latter definitely gave the Lannisters a huge leg up - but then, nothing less is to be expected when the build-up included Randyll Tarly taking command of the Lannister's forces. That man doesn't fuck around at all.
I think we can make an analysis in world as to whether or not it would be decisive, but that's not what i'm arguing. The show is marketing it as decisive. The characters react to it as a dramatic fuck up/victory. For the sake of the show, it's decisive.
Nonetheless, Danaerys still has all the Dothraki that King Robert was so worried about back in Season 1, when Westeros was more-or-less a unified force at full manpower and with a lot more resources to spare. She probably still has the Dornish (although I wouldn't be surprised if the writers decide that Ellaria Sand counts as enough of a "hostage" that the Dornish actually stand down to keep them from killing her, because the Dornish arc in the show makes absolutely no sense at all). She has a basically unassailable fortress as her center of command. She has three big ass dragons, and said dragons are only getting bigger. The Lannisters have solved their money problems for now, and have taken some big chunks out of Danaerys's forces, but they need to maintain forces at Casterly Rock to keep the Unsullied out of the picture until they either surrender or starve (and Unsullied don't surrender), they're still not yet any closer to re-evicting the Targaryens from Dragonstone, and time is absolutely on Danaerys's side (insofar as it can be on the side of any living creature in Westeros right now, anyway).
lmao I totally I agree, I bet they'll just give up on Dorne. You're correct, Dany still has a damn decent hand, and I get why the show didn't want to show a steamroll, but artificially putting a handicap on Dany and giving Cersei a buff to good political decisions when the show has been totally fine in displaying her idiocy through uplifting the Faith militant is not consistent nor interesting. Cersei will fuck up when the writers decides she needs to rather then when it should actually happen. Dany will win when the writers decides she needs to.
They had a bunch of food and manpower from the Freys, who not only kept themselves clear of the worst of the fighting throughout, but also now control the Riverlands and its abundance of food and money.
The Riverlands have been ravaged by the War of Five Kings after Tywin pretty much told the Mountain to genocide the place. Only the Frey Lands themselves are relatively untouched. Considering the scale of the conflict and transportation costs of anything in this land, I don't buy that.

There's a better post that sums up my grievances far more eloquently that I could, I found it on r/asoiaf.

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/6quk4r/spoilers_extended_missing_the_point_and_rewarding/
tl;dr
"The show has changed from being a show which doesn't make excuses for the good guys...to a show which makes excuses for the bad guys."

While you might make some points about this season not being too bad an example of it, it's still a demonstration of their inability to write engaging villains and struggle. D&D are an on/off switch and are disappointing me.

Top Bottom