TV: Game of Thrones

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Yeah, sure, whatever, that along with the "there's something else I want to show you" line was up there with my most prominent thoughts regarding this episode, but then I saw mah nigga Bronn took down a motherfucking dragon YEAH BOIIIIIIII!!!

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
but then I saw mah lovable black man, who is my friend Bronn took down a motherfucking dragon YEAH BOIIIIIIII!!!
YEEEAAAAAHHH! BRONN WITH PLAY OF THE GAME!

He took out that one Doth'raki that just hunted him down for no good reason with the Scorpion, took out a dragon and had time to get Jaime's knightly ass saved.

Also, fuck man. That Brienne vs Arya fight was great. I'm not even a huge Arya fanboy and I thought it was super cool.

AndyM03

About time we got a good episode boys, I was cheering. Really incredible. The intensity of the fire was crazy, really made you feel bad for those soldiers.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Brienne v. Arya was a great fight. I spent most of the last scene terrified at the thought of Bronn or Jaime fuckin' dying, I was like "god damn that would suck". Bronn made a great MVP, though, motherfucker deserves that castle.

Kinda pisses me off that the dragon in question doesn't seem anywhere close to lethally wounded, just stinging - and also that Jaime decided that straight running for Daenerys and the dragon was a better play than throwing that spear. Javelin-ing her to death, while it would be pretty anticlimactic, would've been badass.

The Hound

Just Monika
I didn't think Bronn or Jaime were going to die, but I was damn sure we were going to see Dickon die. I mean how many more times could they make a joke about his name.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
YEEEAAAAAHHH! BRONN WITH PLAY OF THE GAME!

He took out that one Doth'raki that just hunted him down for no good reason with the Scorpion, took out a dragon and had time to get Jaime's knightly ass saved.
Bronn is The Enemy Hanzo, personified.
About time we got a good episode boys, I was cheering. Really incredible. The intensity of the fire was crazy, really made you feel bad for those soldiers.
Honest question, though: did you not feel at all concerned about Danaerys's teleporting armies?

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
I didn't think Bronn or Jaime were going to die, but I was damn sure we were going to see Dickon die. I mean how many more times could they make a joke about his name.
Bronn just completely not giving a shit and cracking up when he heard it was so fucking good. I guess that's one benefit of being friends with the guy who's banging the queen.

Honest question, though: did you not feel at all concerned about Danaerys's teleporting armies?
I was pretty concerned about how they managed to learn and plan for Jaime's troop movements that well and also have time to land the entire Dothraki army and fly dragons over Westeros without anybody noticing, not gonna lie. They really straight not giving a fuck about the pacing, they're going full throwdown after throwdown.

More than anything, I'm pretty surprised that Daenerys could effectively transport all of her troops and their horses after having lost two entire fucking navies.

I don't see anyone talking up Bran outright savaging Baelish with "Chaos is a ladder", though. That was a pretty damn good shot, and really helps bring home that he knows an unknown amount of shit which amounts to "a lot and then some". Hey Bran, how 'bout you remember how to beat the White Walkers? That'd be pretty helpful.

Requiem

I can't wait for the Bran pay off. That's literally one of my most anticipated plot lines, just because it's taken so god damn long to give us any pay off besides revealing why Hodor was Hodor.

Everything else is just gravy, really. I'm ready to see the final smackdown between everyone that ultimately leaves them in a worse position before fighting the army of the dead. Plus, the lord of light stuff. That needs to start paying off now as well.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Bro. We just gettin' warmed up, over here.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
I don't see anyone talking up Bran outright savaging Baelish with "Chaos is a ladder", though. That was a pretty damn good shot, and really helps bring home that he knows an unknown amount of shit which amounts to "a lot and then some". Hey Bran, how 'bout you remember how to beat the White Walkers? That'd be pretty helpful.
It was pretty great to watch Baelish twitch more than usual.

Bronn is The Enemy Hanzo, personified.
Bronn just completely not giving a shit and cracking up when he heard it was so fucking good. I guess that's one benefit of being friends with the guy who's banging the queen.
The man has been carrying death flags since Season 4 and still gives no fucks.

Requiem

Not to mention Bronn is a lord now, right? Or at least a knight? I mean after this moment, he's gonna be something important, that's for sure. You don't save the Queen's brother-lover from dragon's fire and expect to get nothing for your trouble.

AndyM03

Don't get me wrong haha I did. A travelling dothraki hoard would be news that travels quick as fuck. And NOW it's impossible for Euron to be able to intercept that army, no worries. Unless they're blockading Casterly Rock? Don't see much point in that but maybe.
I'm a sucker for battle scenes and we got a really good one, i'll wear my blood lust bias on my sleeve. At the very least the teleporting armies served to put character interactions in there. Tyrion, Dany, Jaime, Bronn and Dickon all in one cluster fuck? It worked really well. Similarly it's why I was semi okay with the Tyrell one, because I liked the Jaime and Olenna scene. Grey worms character is his lack of character and attempt to find one, so while it is tragic he's standard, it's hard to have the strongest emotional connection to his plight at this point.

I was pretty concerned about how they managed to learn and plan for Jaime's troop movements that well and also have time to land the entire Dothraki army and fly dragons over Westeros without anybody noticing, not gonna lie. They really straight not giving a fuck about the pacing, they're going full throwdown after throwdown.

More than anything, I'm pretty surprised that Daenerys could effectively transport all of her troops and their horses after having lost two entire fucking navies.

I think in an alt shift x video recently he pretty much points out that the writers have given up on the military idea of reconnaissance, which is annoying because it's what Jaime talks shit to the Frey's about literally last season.
Lemme rephrase that,
If you're defending, you have no clue about anything. This is still true for the Unsullied since they were attacked by Euron lmao idk.
If you're attacking, you know everything.

At the very least they mention they still have enough ships for it. They still had ships they build themselves + stolen slaver ships. Guess they lost the Greyjoy ships + some more? So many boats and hoes.

Yeah really liking the Bran scenes. A lot of people are annoyed by him but you can see he's struggling. Definitely a tragedy, hopefully he still has enough humanity left, just has to find it.

Requiem

That's what I meant when I mentioned that the show is losing nuance. It's not so much that the teleporting armies is a big deal considering both sides in the story get to teleport their armies, but when troop movements could have been noticed and word could have been sent to prevent something exactly like this for either side, it cheapens the character moments that we do get which are pretty excellent.

It's a bit of a mixed bag. I miss the layer of actual strategy we had even up to the last season (one can argue that the battle of the bastards was all about strategy and what happens when you're forced to throw all of your plans out of the window) and don't think that losing it for the sake of major plot and story beats was the best choice in the world. At the same time, I'm willing to accept it if it means we get into the real meat and potatoes of the converging storylines.

Lumpy

On the whole teleporting army thing, it was far worse the last season when Little Fingers army just so happened to show up undisturbed and unnoticed marching through swaths of enemy land to save the day last second.

This time, they seemed to show a pretty decent passing of time. Arya had enough time to make it back home at least. And a marching army, if you know where they are heading from, and know where they are headed to, can't be that difficult to find.

Anatronman

There's an indeterminate amount of time inbetween scenes. When we're in palace intrigue land, everyone gets to comment on everyone else's relationships for days or weeks before important events.

As long as all we're waiting for is an attack, I'm okay with it not taking two episodes of removing all the necessary characters from the story long enough for them to travel.

Requiem

Yeah, that's what I mean, it's a mixed bag. I like the intrigue and nuance of the strategy side of things, but without it, we get to the real meat of the story. Lose one to get the better part of the story faster.

What it basically comes down to is whether or not the story suffers for moving so quickly. I'd say it does, but only slightly. The positives outweigh the negatives tremendously, I'd say. The negatives are still there, that's all.

Lumpy

So who else thinks it's a little odd the (((Iron Bank))) was supposedly so happy to be paid back in full? Or to have one of it's richest kingdoms wiped out?

The whole time I was thinking it would be in their best interest to keep the Lannisters indebted to them, and BAM, an army and a dragon comes by and wipes out all the gold like it's nothing.

Call me tinfoil if you want but somethings up. These damn iron bankers, man. I swear they're playing both sides.

Requiem

Oh they're definitely playing every side. I don't think they're gonna make that plot line very complicated though.

Anatronman

Since posting I've actually looked at the map of Westeros and I have no explanation for how they could have beat Jaime back before he made it to King's Landing without ships or dragon sightings.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Also factor in the extra head start the Lannister troops had, since it would take a bunch of days for the word of Highgarden falling to even reach Danaerys in the first place. However, she did have a massive advantage in mobility. Dothraki hoards have no problem traveling light and moving swiftly, same for dragons, while Jaime Bronn had to drag along a bunch of footmen and baggage trains.

Top Bottom