TV: Game of Thrones

AndyM03

The Arya versus Sansa plot line is painful to watch. Did I want Littlefinger to actually do something? Yes. Did I want it to go super well? No, I didn't really need Arya threatening to kill Sansa and cut off her face, jesus christ. It's, uh, bit of a fuckin leap. And yeah Sansa just be a massive cunt to Brienne, this woman who has sworn her life to you, fucks sake.
f a k e
t e n s i o n
d r a m a

Really though, holy fucking shit. Great episode. Best acting we've ever gotten from Dany. I don't blame the actress, it's that Dany is always a girl trying to be a queen rather then just being a queen, but we really got to see Dany the girl when she was with Jon and I loved it. The action and banter between the 7 mad lads was great, writing was top notch. And of course, the action, had me on the edge of my seat. Episode 4 and onwards have really made this season unforgettable.

13thforsworn

Probably the first Game of Thrones episode I was disappointed with. The Sansa/Arya plotline is shit. I don't understand how Arya can just come home and already be threatening to murder her sister. The fact that she can't empathize with her sister having been held prisoner by various terrible families, but can empathize with ragtag soldiers who fight for one of those terrible families is bewildering. Yes, a little girl was stupid enough to believe that they wouldn't harm her father if she played ball. In fact, everyone did until Joffery took it upon himself to have Ned Stark killed in an impromptu display of authority. That's not really hard to believe, and frankly understandable.

Now the fight with the walkers... Where do I even start? Simply, I don't buy the idea that they were able to survive what seemed like days on a small island surrounded by white walkers while waiting for Danerys to come and save the day. By the time the raven arrived, by the time she departed, by the time she found the enclosure where they were stranded? Hard to suspend my belief that much. I can accept that kind of writing from some random Hollywood action flick, but I expect better from HBO to be honest.

And then of course uncle Benjan just comes out of nowhere to save Jon. The first time he did it for Bran, sure, fine, whatever. But this was just kinda bullshit. I'll give him this though, is flaming flail was pretty cool.

The only satisfying part of the episode was my prediction that one of the dragons would dying and being resurrected as Sindragosa coming true. Undead dragons should be fun.

I feel like I have a pretty high tolerance as far as suspending my disbelief goes, but this episode was hard to munch. I really wish I enjoyed it, but I didn't.

Steal Thy Kill

I have a high suspension of disbelief, but yeah this really was like... come on guys. Still enjoyed it though, simply because it was still entertaining. Hardhome was a better "oh shit terror" sequence, but this wasn't exactly trying to have that feel to it.

That said, Blue Eyes Wight Dragon get hype.

Zircom

And then of course uncle Benjan just comes out of nowhere to save Jon. The first time he did it for Bran, sure, fine, whatever. But this was just kinda bullshit. I'll give him this though, is flaming flail was pretty cool.
This is actually one of the parts I didn't have a problem with. I mean Benjen's whole deal past the wall is he's always hunting/tracking the night king/wights, plus he's a warg so he can scout with wolves/birds/whathaveyou so it's not too far fetched that he happened to around. But him not getting in the horse because "there's no time" was fucking stupid, he could've been on the horse in the time it took him to say that, not to mention he didn't even hold them off for more than two seconds so what was even the point(just like Summer lol).

AndyM03

2 people on horse = slower horse.
Thats what I assumed, it's not like it was a car.
If this was the episode you couldn't suspend your belief this season, I don't know what to say. Sure I didn't like the plan going north to begin with but what they did with it was really solid. If you were fine with the first three episodes of the season and not this then tbh I'm shocked haha.

Requiem

To talk for a second about Sansa and Arya and you guys having the issue with her threatening to kill Sansa

She told her sister about the lying game. She admitted she can tell when someone is lying or telling the truth. She's intentionally being vague for the sake of making a point to Sansa. That's why she gives Sansa the knife. The ball is in her court now to do whatever she's going to do.

Arya trusts her sister to do the right thing. She's laying it all out on the table now and telling her the whole truth. Maybe Sansa doesn't understand everything fully, but she knows Arya isn't to be fucked with and that there's more going on with her than she's given her credit for. I give LF one more episode. Sansa has her head on her shoulders properly, there's no way she tries to go against Arya.

Requiem

Yeah, what a waste of a good character. They should have Jon just get on Drogon but have him get stabbed by a wight or something to achieve the same result.

Then when the final battle comes, because of course it will, you have Benjen stride in on his horse and fuck shit up because he finally gets the chance to fight against the force that made him half man, half dead. Have him die valiantly on the field of battle like almost everyone will in that last fight.

He definitely could have taken Jon and rode off to the wall. Lazy death, imho. Not a bad death, just not as well written as it could have been.

AndyM03

Oh yeah it wasn't good, but in the moment it didn't feel too unbelievable.
Idk, I can stand unbelievable action, not unbelievable politics or drama. The show's intrigue got worse but the action has been incredible and continues to do so.

Requiem

They just should have shown him tracking Jon and his team in the beginning of the episode or have him help Gendry get to the wall once he tells him what's wrong and where Jon is. Just some sort of scene before he just randomly shows up to die and get written out of the show.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Jon also loves his staredowns with certain death. Vyserion died and Jon went full terminator. It was excellent. He also should have drowned but whatever.
It was so, so very dumb. Why the fuck would they have had him decide, even with that Hero Complex he's always kinda had, that he ought to heroically hold the door line, a lone man and his trusty Plus-One Sword, to cover the evacuation of a bunch of fully-armed champion warriors, their hogtied prisoner, and - oh, right, let's not forget, - a big ass fire-spewing mother fucking dragon. What was he thinking? "Oh, y'know, those straggler wights that the pond and dragonfire hasn't managed to kill could be a potential tripping hazard for whoever's trying to climb up on the dragon when they show up, best go boldly stand against them, clear them out so my comrades may be assured of stable footing on their safe, secure, totally OSHA-compliant route of egress?"

I don't really mind all that much, but it bothers me that I've tried really hard to understand how it could make sense and yet, I've got nothing. They just decided that was gonna be a selfless-hero-sacrifice scene.
I'm willing to forgive the raven travel time since they made it seem like at least a day or two passed in the frozen lake before the fighting started.
I don't even wanna get into the logistics... bottom line is, they needed a momentous last-minute dragon appearance to save the day and make Plot happen, so they fibbed it on the offscreen stuff. Same stuff they've been doing since early on in this season, but a lot more so this time because they literally sent all the way to Dragonstone for reinforcements, and got them, all in the amount of time it took the Night King and his compadres to get a pond to freeze over.

Not too mad, though, cause I actually really wanted to see the dragons roasting zombies up there anyway and so I'll accept that some writer hijinks were required to male that happen for me. Extra bonus point for seeing a dragon killed off for real this time, which I've just been cockteased about for entire seasons until now.
Probably the first Game of Thrones episode I was disappointed with. The Sansa/Arya plotline is shit. I don't understand how Arya can just come home and already be threatening to murder her sister. The fact that she can't empathize with her sister having been held prisoner by various terrible families, but can empathize with ragtag soldiers who fight for one of those terrible families is bewildering. Yes, a little girl was stupid enough to believe that they wouldn't harm her father if she played ball. In fact, everyone did until Joffery took it upon himself to have Ned Stark killed in an impromptu display of authority. That's not really hard to believe, and frankly understandable.
You're not an angry little girl whose major life lesson for the past few years, as you went from pre-teen to young adolescent without the guidance of any kind of responsible parental figure, was: "you really don't have to compromise on anything at all if you really don't want to." Arya's also so profoundly inexperienced in any non-martial form of diplomacy, that what Catelyn Stark and all her advisors easily recognized as Lannister threats sent through written by her Stark child under duress, she apparently reads as a totally viable and fairly well-hidden trap, by Sansa, that could have presented a very credible danger of tricking Robb into compliance.

Think that's a stretch? Thinking: Maybe politics isn't exactly Arya's strong suit, but surely she cant be that absolutely god-awful at it?

She totally is, though.

Remember when the whole thing started? Was because Arya completely misread the room when Sansa was dealing with her Northern Lords, and began to suspect that Sansa might be starting to feel disloyal towards Jon Snow, the bastard half-brother whom, if we're been honest, she'd always looked down upon and been kind've a bitch to when they were children. How she told Sansa she'd have dealt with the vassal problem, instead: "They can't [not provide us with troops] if they have no heads!" The girl sucks at this kind of thing. And, let's face it, nobody seemed to think that her shitty diplo skills were all that out of character for her until Littlefinger started taking advantage of them.

tl;dr Arya's not as smart as you - a number of you - seem to think she is. Getting really good at sneaking around and killing people didn't magically make her any better at everything (or even almost anything) else.
To talk for a second about Sansa and Arya and you guys having the issue with her threatening to kill Sansa

She told her sister about the lying game. She admitted she can tell when someone is lying or telling the truth. She's intentionally being vague for the sake of making a point to Sansa. That's why she gives Sansa the knife. The ball is in her court now to do whatever she's going to do.

Arya trusts her sister to do the right thing. She's laying it all out on the table now and telling her the whole truth. Maybe Sansa doesn't understand everything fully, but she knows Arya isn't to be fucked with and that there's more going on with her than she's given her credit for. I give LF one more episode. Sansa has her head on her shoulders properly, there's no way she tries to go against Arya.
I read it differently. Consider, order of events:

- Sansa gets freaked out by her sister, decides to go through her stuff, gets more freaked out by her sister
- Sansa goes to Baelish with the problem, so it's obvious that she has nobody more trustworthy she can turn to
- Baelish: "Nooo! Surely Arya wouldn't do that!"
- Sansa: "[Reasons that's not necessarily true]"
- Baelish: "And your vassals aren't all that unreliable."
- Sansa: "[Reasons why they are, pretty compelling argument really]"
- Baelish: "Well, what about Brienne?" (good lead)
- Baelish: "She's supposed to help you as well, right?" (oh shit, right, Brienne's probably gonna be more on Arya's side, 'cause of her knight honor and her principles and their swordswoman-buddy bond, Sansa realizes)
- Sansa: "She is."
- Baelish: "So if one of you made a move against the other, she'd stop you, right?"
- Sansa: [troubled]"...she would."
[END SCENE]
[OPEN NEXT WINTERFELL SCENE]
Sansa: "Brienne, here's a dubious reason to make you go very, very far away from me. Please and thank you."
Brienne: "But I'm supposed to be your bodyguard, not your ambassador."
Sansa: "Please leave."
Brienne: "I guess Podrick could sub in for me..."
Sansa: "Fuck that. Get out, take him with you."

Inb4 Sansa makes a play, something goes terribly wrong, Arya realizes she was right about her sister all along, she retaliates, tragedy and chaos ensue, and nobody wins but Baelish.

Or maybe... Bran could be useful, instead?
He rode off just fine with both Bran and Meera when they were running from the wights last season, and I'd assume Bran and Meera together weigh at least as much as Jon.
Maybe it's not the wights that concern him, but rather the cold, in Jon's case? Jon barely made it back to the Wall in time as it was, and he'd left the AotD well behind him.

Last edited:

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
I'm pretty confident that Baelish winning Winterfell up is inbound next episode or early in the last season, and that Bran is effectively the only way around that 'cause he's the only one that knows what Littlefinger is all about. Sansa, for all her talk about not trusting what he says, conspicuously ignores that advice and as a result makes pretty fucking stupid decisions re: how to deal with a lot of problems. Of course, that's in large part 'cause he's pretty good at getting people to do what he wants by subtly leading them towards it and letting them draw their own conclusions - all supported by evidence he's placed.

If Bran doesn't do something with his knowledge that chaos is a ladder, all that exposure to magic made him an autistic dumbass.

The Hound

Just Monika
I can't stand the Arya vs. Sansa shit, mostly because if either of them took two seconds to go talk to Bran none of this would be an issue. I hate that they have no idea what to do with Bran and have quite possibly just left him outside in the cold for the last few episodes.

Other than that clusterfuck everything else brings me so much happiness, all the dialogue prior to getting to the white walkers was amazing.

Requiem

As silly as it is, we know Jon doesn't make good decisions all the time. He faces down certain death often just because he thinks it's a good idea. He faced down an entire army because he said fuck it last season.

Could just settle it as Jon decided to try and go kill the NK by himself and end the war right then and there before it ever began in earnest south of the wall. That's still monumentally stupid, but not out of the realm of possibility considering the conversation he had with Beric before that moment.

As for Sansa, I've got faith in her. She's gonna do the right thing. At this point, it's less that Arya can or can't handle the political side of things and more that she's trusting her sister to do right by her. I still say Littlefinger is dead come next episode.

Tag_Ross

I haven't read your comments since Saturday so let me just say...

FUCK YOUTUBE AUTO PLAY + RECOMMENDED

I got home from work Sunday around noon I loaded up YouTube on my TV antenna watched a review for last week's episode of got, then what do I see in my tired state? Mother fucking Jon snow, laying in bed clutching Dany's hand and the title of the video was Jon apologized to Dany after the death of her dragon.

Fuck YouTube.

Anatronman

Ironically leaving spoilers in your spoiler complaint.

EDIT: Forgot I hadn't made a post to say this already, but I wanted to point out that whether Arya or Littlefinger is the one actually in control of the current Winterfell politcal situation, it's going to be incredibly unsatisfying to see these Season 1 dramas spun back up into a finale.

The Hound

Just Monika
Really enjoyed the episode but seriously I think the Theon fight might have been the worst 5 minutes of GoT I've ever seen. His redemption is pretty much this:

(really wanted to find a gif of this but oh well)

Tag_Ross

He should have said what's dead may never die after the guy said he should kill him.

Also, how long do airhorns last? I'm afraid I may have spent too much money on these things that I won't have use for.

Top Bottom