TV: Game of Thrones

Chickenspleen

So I hear the show is going beyond the books now. I'm gonna have to start watching it.

13thforsworn

Last edited:

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
If we're posting comedy videos about Game of Thrones

Spoilers (Season 5 Episode 1 &2) :

Also, oh man, Daenerys failing to rule a country. I'm trying to understand why people love her. Also, everything happening with Arya is great.

13thforsworn

If we're posting comedy videos about Game of Thrones

Spoilers (Season 5 Episode 1 &2) :

Also, oh man, Daenerys failing to rule a country. I'm trying to understand why people love her. Also, everything happening with Arya is great.
That fucking video is the best one yet! Key and Peele are amazing.

I only watched the first episode because I wanna watch it wee to week. That and I have exams to study for. I thought episode one was okay, nothing crazy happened. I guess it's hard to compare any first episode of a season after S04EP01.

The Hound

Just Monika
Also, oh man, Daenerys failing to rule a country. I'm trying to understand why people love her.
Seriously this is a question I ask all the time, and always just assume it must be the books that really make her a likable character. I'm sure in the books it's more acceptable to have a character have no affect on the rest of the story for an extended period of time while still talking about her, but in the show she just eats airtime and offers very little of interest. I hope this is the season she actually gets involved with the main plot, and based on the first 4 episodes it looks like she will. (I'll leave it at that, no spoilers)

Oh also it pisses me off that it looks like they spend 90% of the effects budget on her scenes, and that's not even talking about the dragons.

As for the first episode, anyone think that the whole burning Mace Rayder scene was terrible? First the fire chick gives a speech a 6 year old could have wrote (It was so bad). Then they try to play up how bad being burned to death is but the actor playing Mace couldn't do it (no disrespect towards him as an actor since that's gotta be hard to do) so he just kind of groans and fidgets. Here's where some of that effects budget could have been used better, show his skin blistering, show his face melting or something to tell me he's getting burned to fucking death before JS shoots him and puts him out of his misery. Just a weak scene that was supposed to be meaningful.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Seriously this is a question I ask all the time, and always just assume it must be the books that really make her a likable character. I'm sure in the books it's more acceptable to have a character have no affect on the rest of the story for an extended period of time while still talking about her, but in the show she just eats airtime and offers very little of interest. I hope this is the season she actually gets involved with the main plot, and based on the first 4 episodes it looks like she will. (I'll leave it at that, no spoilers)

Oh also it pisses me off that it looks like they spend 90% of the effects budget on her scenes, and that's not even talking about the dragons.
There's some reason to believe she is the main story, that being the one with the white walkers and the prophesied savior and what not. It's either that, or her adventures in Essos are meant as a journey-over-destination sort of thing to show how she learned, somehow exclusively through massive fuckupery, to competently rule over a conflicted nation before coming to Westeros. But that's even less sensible. Some would (and do) also say that Jon Snow's story on the Wall is irrelevant to the main story, and is only there so fangirls can watch him brood, but that's ridiculous. It's much easier to argue that the War of Five Kings...
or Seven
-is an unimportant distraction compared to the impeding Eldritch Invasion From Beyond Civilization, as you would if you were at the Wall yourself.

That's to the books, anyway. The show actually gives her more stuff to do, presumably so's they can show more of what is apparently most viewer's favorite character. As to why people like her so much? Not fully sure - she really is pretty much the same person in the books, with anywhere between slightly less and a great deal more fuck-up to her track record. (Depending on all the S5 stuff I haven't watched yet, and whether it includes some of the Slaver's Bay stuff from the books) - I guess people are just really easily impressed by relentless posturing.

Mind you, I thought she was pretty cool myself at first. Almost right up until she interfered with Drogo's subjugation of the Lhazareen, in fact. She's never lacked for courage or tenacity, one has to grant, but since then her mouth has been running further and further ahead of her track record and I have no patience for it.
As for the first episode, anyone think that the whole burning Mace Rayder scene was terrible? First the fire chick gives a speech a 6 year old could have wrote (It was so bad). Then they try to play up how bad being burned to death is but the actor playing Mace couldn't do it (no disrespect towards him as an actor since that's gotta be hard to do) so he just kind of groans and fidgets. Here's where some of that effects budget could have been used better, show his skin blistering, show his face melting or something to tell me he's getting burned to fucking death before JS shoots him and puts him out of his misery. Just a weak scene that was supposed to be meaningful.
It was described as being pretty underwhelming in the books, too.

Last edited:

13thforsworn

I guess I might just have low standards, but I thought the Mance Rayder scene was done well. Fire Lady's speech was simplistic because she deals in absolutes; you're either with the Lord of Light (who is good), or you're against him (and therefore evil). There is no room for nuance. Ser Davos' role is to try to show Stannis the complexities of each situation, where Milesandra tries to make him see things as black and white. Kinda like an angel/demon sitting on his shoulder type of situation. As for Mance, I thought the fidgeting and groaning was him trying his best to not look scared or appear weak as he died in front of his people. JS ending it before it got too gruesome was appropriate in my opinion.

Last edited:

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Mind you, I thought she was pretty cool myself at first. Almost right up until she interfered with Drogo's subjugation of the Lhazareen, in fact. She's never lacked for courage or tenacity, one has to grant, but since then her mouth has been running further and further ahead of her track record and I have no patience for it.
The only explanation that I've heard that excuses her as a character is that she's currently undergoing the "Targayen Madness."

I guess I might just have low standards, but I thought the Mance Rayder scene was done well. Fire Lady's speech was simplistic because she deals in absolutes; you're either with the Lord of Light (who is good), or you're against him (and therefore evil). There is no room for nuance. Ser Davos' role is to try to show Stannis the complexities of each situation, where Milesandra tries to make him see things as black and white. Kinda like an angel/demon sitting on his shoulder type of situation. As for Mance, I thought the fidgeting and groaning was him trying his best to not look scared or appear weak as he died in front of his people. JS ending it before it got too gruesome was appropriate in my opinion.
Yeah, Stannis the Mannis' party is pretty great between the Onion Knight and Miss Burnsalot. After the loss of my favorite character in the finale of Season 4, I've been enjoying their portion.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
13, at the beginning of the first book. As for providing excuses for her character, I'm not interested.* Having reasons to be an incompetent ruler is still very different from being an able ruler. If "she's a young girl" is proffered as the reason for her blunders, then I counter that young girls shouldn't be allowed charge of important things, with her being no exception.

*Not to say you're doing that; I just know people who do that.

Requiem

Nah, young people just tend to be fucking dumb until they've wised up. If they stay dumb though, that's their fault.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
People who are fucking dumb shouldn't be in positions of authority, regardless of whether it's their fault how fucking dumb they are. Mind you, Tommen's even younger - but at least he listens to his councilors.

Even the bad ones, but hey. Occasional or even frequent fuckups is still an improvement on constant ones.

13thforsworn

I mean, she's not completely dumb. She was pretty clever in how she took both cities. You have to have some sort of wits to go from being a diplomatic pawn getting plowed by a barbarian to the queen of two cities in command of an army 10 000 strong.

People who are fucking dumb shouldn't be in positions of authority
May I remind you that we're talking about a feudal society grounded in hereditary lineage.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Some wits, but no wisdom. Much like Theon, and his clever plan to take Winterfell.
May I remind you that we're talking about a feudal society grounded in hereditary lineage.
You'd be mistaken to try, as we're talking about a person who is not the legal heir to the throne in any case. I'd just come back with "People who are fucking dumb and also have no claim to positions of authority should double not have them," or something similar.

Last edited:

Whitetiger

Believe me, most of the people on the A Song of Ice and Fire subreddit absolutely hate Dany because her POVs are fucking awful in the 5th book. They're filled with forgettable long-named characters who all blend together until you can practically make up your own characters like such:

"Fiznak zo Liznak is the war chief of the Silver Salamanders, a mercenary crew made up entirely of bastards. Fiznak hates Slakaz the Bald because he's part of a different social class and slept with Fiznak's wife."

There's like 30 of these fucking characters. And while she's dealing with all of these people and ignoring everyone's advice while being extremely indecisive, she's also constantly thinking about Daario (the dude she's fucking) and how fucking hot he is. Finally every time she talks to someone she starts out with: "I am just a young girl so I know not of such things but..." sarcastically. It gets old fast.

So believe me, Show Daenerys is much more tolerable than fucking book Daenerys.

Top Bottom