Undertale fan game - We actually finished something.

Dunsparce

I don't know how long the game is yet. I don't know if it's just one boss fight, or a full on game. The farthest I've gotten is to the part where Chara brings back Toriel. I like it so far; It's hard but fair. Most of Chara's attacks have a memorable pattern to them, and once you figure it out you can avoid getting hit. I'm actually surprised by which attack gives me the most trouble. It's the one where four knives bounce around the screen. I guess I'm too dumb to focus on where four objects are going if it's a completely new direction each time, but that feels more like my fault than the game's fault. I like the mechanics of red attacks. They definitely split the game up. Also, the music kicks ass.

Now for some criticism. Chara doesn't really feel very "Chara" to me. I think that's partially because of how ambiguous Chara is. Everyone is gonna have their own interpretation, but this Chara feels more like a toned down version of Flowey. Maybe it's your headcanon that Flowey acts like he acts because of Chara. But I can't help but feel like Chara calling me their "buddy" is just out of character. But hey, it ain't that bad compared to some of the Tumblr web comics I've seen floating around.

So in summary, it was the worst fangame I've ever played. Also the best. I'll tell you more of my thoughts when I get further along.

D

Danny

Unregsistered User
I don't know how long the game is yet. I don't know if it's just one boss fight, or a full on game. The farthest I've gotten is to the part where Chara brings back Toriel. I like it so far; It's hard but fair. Most of Chara's attacks have a memorable pattern to them, and once you figure it out you can avoid getting hit. I'm actually surprised by which attack gives me the most trouble. It's the one where four knives bounce around the screen. I guess I'm too dumb to focus on where four objects are going if it's a completely new direction each time, but that feels more like my fault than the game's fault. I like the mechanics of red attacks. They definitely split the game up. Also, the music kicks ass.

Now for some criticism. Chara doesn't really feel very "Chara" to me. I think that's partially because of how ambiguous Chara is. Everyone is gonna have their own interpretation, but this Chara feels more like a toned down version of Flowey. Maybe it's your headcanon that Flowey acts like he acts because of Chara. But I can't help but feel like Chara calling me their "buddy" is just out of character. But hey, it ain't that bad compared to some of the Tumblr web comics I've seen floating around.

So in summary, it was the worst fangame I've ever played. Also the best. I'll tell you more of my thoughts when I get further along.
I guess everyone see's chara in a slightly different light. The way I saw Chara was not as a creature of pure evil. Chara is a complex character that has had a really bad time. Playing undertale you find out that Chara wanted to sacrifice themselves to free the monsters, and that Chara had a BAD time with humans. Remeber, Chara didn't try and attack the humans in the village (while they and asriel where merged) until the humans started attacking first. Additionally Chara was confused when they first woke up, they where supposed to be dead, right? It wasn't until YOU started killing that Chara learned why they where brought back to life. Learned that they had to be strong, because being weak is what got them killed, and through your actions, you show Chara that being weak, ALWAYS gets you killed. And that's my Chara, evil, yes but thanks to you. But still, essentially at heart a child, just a fucked up one.

In other news, random people on the internet have been making videos about the thing I made, and that's weird yet oddly satisfying.
Oh, and we just passed 1,100 downloads/plays, and 110 followers, so that's a thing too.

I seem to have this problem where I keep accidentally putting myself in situations where I'm the center of something, and I'm bad at it. help.

Spoilers.

Last edited by a moderator:

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
So I beat both bosses with about 5 deaths at LV 1.

Some parts of the fight feel a bit too slow and easy while others are hard. That's my only complaint, otherwise is pretty fun.

D

Danny

Unregsistered User
wtf.png

These numbers officially don't mean anything to me anymore.
They're too big. I can't comprehend that a piece of software I wrote has ran on that many computers, in just over 2 weeks.

D

Danny

Unregsistered User
Well it was for undertale, so there's that.
While this is technically true, I've seen a lot of undertale projects that have been up a lot longer then mine have way lower ratings/views/plays then us. I think it's indicative of the amount of effort we put into it. :)

Top Bottom