'Warcraft' movie

13thforsworn

But seriously, I really enjoyed it. I can see how if you haven't played any of the games then you might not enjoy it. Knowing the characters helps a lot.

The Hound

Just Monika
I was considering watching it based off of Jesse Cox's recommendation but now that you liked it I'm going to give it a shot. Mostly because it's based on the Warcraft lore I know, so any movie set between Warcraft-Warcraft III intrigues me.

Dunsparce

Reviews are pretty bad. Since I know nothing about Warcraft I'll probably wait till its on Netflix or something
That's because Disney payed off a bunch of critics to give it bad reviews. European reviews are actually way better because Disney's influence doesn't reach that far.
Take the red pill, Thunder.

All that said, I still don't recommend it unless you're an avid Warcraft fan already. I really enjoyed it, but if I didn't already know the story, I'd be totally lost.

13thforsworn

All that said, I still don't recommend it unless you're an avid Warcraft fan already. I really enjoyed it, but if I didn't already know the story, I'd be totally lost.
It basically comes down to this. There's a reason why the critic score on Rotten Tomatoes is 27% but the audience score is 83%. The movie was very much made for fans of the series and I felt it did very little to set up the world and the characters because it assumes you already know what's going on and who they are.

Ibix

I saw the movie with my family (Since they all played Warcraft games at some point.) and we all liked it. I think even if the characters aren't all explained adequately to the presumptive ignorant viewer, there is a enough of a self contained story that it isn't completely incoherent. Critics just have a stick up their ass so high it goes back out their mouth.

Salsy

Just saw the movie last night. ABSOLUTE SHIT. SO BAD. HOLY FUCK.

I really don't see how you all could like it. At all.

Rondait

I broke my rule about not seeing a movie twice in theaters on this movie. I really enjoyed it and both times I took people who don't know anything about the Warcraft universe and they were all able to enjoy it and follow along rather easy. I don't think it's a GOOD movie, but I'd say it's at least okay and isn't at all deserving of the shitty reviews it's getting.

Salsy

A quick list of things that sucked.

The writing
The acting
The pacing
The fight choreography
etc

I can go into more detail but all my issues have to do with it as a movie, not with the lore or any of that. It absolutely deserves the hate it is getting.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Just watched it. It felt great if you were a fan of the series, but I was even a bit lost on some of the events and rationale. The acting for the humans was pretty bad, but the orc side of everything felt pretty great. The pacing wasn't the worst in a movie that I've seen, but it was an issue.

I'd give it a solid 6, maybe a 7 out of 10 as a fan. I'd definitely give it another watch.

Just saw the movie last night. ABSOLUTE SHIT. SO BAD. HOLY FUCK.

I really don't see how you all could like it. At all.
It wasn't that bad, mate. If you want to go see a bad movie, go watch Central Intelligence. I thought that Kevin Hart and the Rock would make for an interesting combo. I was sorely mistaken. It was just Kevin Hart being Kevin Hart with the Rock being a goofy badass. It was so bad that I fell asleep for ten-fifteen minutes during it.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Watching that sounds like a fate worse than death.... and I like the Rock.
From the trailer, the whole thing seemed all right. I wasn't expecting a top tier comedy. It was mostly just Kevin Hart being... well, Kevin Hart - Loud, Black and being pushed around by the other actors. SURPRISINGLY? It had a really good mystery and that portion of the movie got me. It kept you guessing who the antagonist was.

Salsy

It felt great if you were a fan of the series
That is such a terrible excuse. Also it is untrue because I hated it. WC3 was my jam back in the day and finished that story by raiding the shit out of Wrath and ending Arthas. I can like bad movies. But my problem was that this wasn't even fun bad. It was that kind of mediocre bad that you just don't care about.

It looked nice ... at parts. The orcs looked great. Most CG things looked great. But the dichotomy between what was cg and not was so vast though that all the live action sets/props/makeup looked so out of place in comparison. Watching them try to make a live human fight a cg orc believable was laughable. It could have been done, but the didn't accomplish it.

I just wish the movie wasn't boring. But it was. And that really should have never been an issue in this universe. They spent the first hour taking us through a museum tour of locations accomplishing nothing. They literally shoehorned in that romance subplot out of nowhere. And there was no characterization or growth or anything remotely getting us to care about these people besides the opening scene with Durotan and his wife.

Really the only praise I can give is to Toby Kebbell as Durotan, but then again I don't blame the rest of the cast for sleeping through their performances with a script like that.

Ignoring other good movies, it is definitely not even the best or most enjoyable video game movie to ever get made. And I find that pretty sad.

The Hound

Just Monika
What is the movie adaptation of a video game then? I mean I literally can't think of single one that wasn't completely garbage. Besides the Resident Evil films you have those awful Uwe Boll movies, some shitty Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat films, and the Angelina Jolie Lara Croft movie. I have a hard time believing any of those were better than the Warcraft movie.

Again I haven't seen it but I have a hard time believing either side, one side saying it's fucking unbelievably great and the other side being so incensed that they say it's worse than the other pile of of absolutely shitty video game movie adaptations.

Salsy

Silent Hill is my favorite. Still not good but there you go.

The first Resident Evil is more fun but a worse movie.

The rest are so much worse that they actually are more enjoyable to watch as jokes than this.

I can like bad movies. But my problem was that this wasn't even fun bad. It was that kind of mediocre bad that you just don't care about.
They just marketed it as if they set out to make some kind of marvel-esque movie revival but for video games and then made Fan4stic. It's not the worst movie but that doesn't make it good.

Salsy

It really is a shame considering Duncan Jones has made some great movies (fucking MOON). I can only assume something was out of his control with the cutting. Here's hoping Assassin's Creed doesn't fall apart as well.

13thforsworn

It really is a shame considering Duncan Jones has made some great movies (fucking MOON). I can only assume something was out of his control with the cutting. Here's hoping Assassin's Creed doesn't fall apart as well.
Apparently half a movie's worth of footage was cut from the movie. Not sure if that would make it better or have it slog on. Some the cuts looked really unnatural.

Top Bottom